News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.- Page 2

Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.

JSquared2
#25Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/16/24 at 8:00pm

borneback12 said: "I saw it last night, and it's a blast from start to finish. Honestly, the best musical I have seen in a long time. The score is incredible and has four or five bangers that completely stop the show. The set and costumes look so expensive, and I couldn't believe this production value was off-Broadway. The staging and the choreo is so fun, and damn I laughed so very much. I think this is going to catch on hard like Titanique and Oh Mary. It looked totally sold out last night, and I bet it's going to keep going in that direction. I recommend it really highly

Thank you, person who has no connection to the production in any way at all whatsoever.

Updated On: 9/17/24 at 08:00 PM

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#26Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/19/24 at 8:40pm

Interesting deal for this on TodayTix: from September 24 through October 31, they're selling 20 $39 seats in either the orchestra or the balcony to be assigned at the box office for each performance. So, basically, rush tickets in advance.

Shubert Alley Cat Profile Photo
Shubert Alley Cat
#27Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/19/24 at 9:17pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Interesting deal for this on TodayTix: from September 24 through October 31, they're selling20 $39seats in either the orchestra or the balcony to be assigned at the box office for each performance. So, basically, rush tickets in advance."

Over this past weekend they did the same deal as a “flash sale” for most performances.  I snagged two for Nov 2.

PipingHotPiccolo
#28Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/19/24 at 10:12pm

this has to be the dumbest named show in a long while. i was on subway platform today and overheard tourists just looking at the different posters (oh we saw six, oh id like to see cabaret) and they just did not know what to make of a gay jamboree. as im typing this i cant even tell you what its really about, and i say that knowing how talented marla mindelle is. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#29Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/20/24 at 1:23am

PipingHotPiccolo said: "tourists"

they're probably cool with bypassing tourists for this one.

TheatreMonkey Profile Photo
TheatreMonkey
#30Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/20/24 at 3:20am

PipingHotPiccolo said: "this has to be the dumbest named show in a long while. i was on subway platform today and overheard tourists just looking at the different posters (oh we saw six, oh id like to see cabaret) and they just did not know what to make of a gay jamboree. as im typing this i cant even tell you what its really about, and i say that knowing how talented marla mindelle is."

Well, they probably couldn't get away with Gay Schmigadoon Redux...

All joking aside, I do agree -- while the name is pretty accurate once you've seen the show or once you've read about it, the title isn't super helpful in relating what the actual show is about. 

OhHiii
#31Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/20/24 at 8:13am

The title of a show has zero to do with if it will catch on are yall being purposefully obtuse here? Very clear that they wouldn’t be targeting tourists for this, particularly in previews. They’ll very much be a Titanique/Oh, Mary audience which is proving to be a financially successful audience.

I’m just glad very few if any of you are actually marketing these things. We’d be in trouble.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#32Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/20/24 at 9:22am

If the name of a show is causing people to stop and ask what its about on a subway, it's doing it's job.  If they are asking 'what is a gay jamboree?" the title is doing its job.  

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

OhHiii
#33Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/20/24 at 9:35am

QueenAlice said: "If the name of a show is causing people to stop and ask what its about on a subway,it's doing it's job. If they are asking 'what is a gay jamboree?" the title is doing its job.

"

Right?? Just proves the branding is garnering attention which is *literally* the job of advertising. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#34Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/20/24 at 9:45am

“Big Gay Jamboree” feels like a pretty regular off-Broadway sort of title. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

BETTY22
60'splayoff Profile Photo
60'splayoff
#36Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/20/24 at 2:02pm

Say what you will about the title (doesn't bother me...) but I think the key art is excellent!

Caught this over the weekend and was nervous I was going to topple off the balcony from laughing so hard- which can confirm Row A is a terrific seat and missing the 2/3 minutes of action in the house didn't affect my experience. While they lost me a little bit with that ending, I had a BLAST! Natalie Walker was the standout for me. Every time she opened her mouth, I was in stitches.

I understand the Schmigadoon comparison, but it sounds like Marla's been working on this for a while so probably just a coincidence. It's also even more niche and bawdier than Schmigadoon and ya know, live on stage.

yyys
#37Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/20/24 at 2:36pm

Is it possible to do McNeal (2 PM) then this one on a Saturday (5 PM)?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#38Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/20/24 at 2:38pm

yyys said: "Is it possible to do McNeal (2 PM) then this one on a Saturday (5 PM)?"

Yes.

yyys
#39Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/20/24 at 2:48pm

Thanks Taffy. One more question: Is there a playbill for this show?

MemorableUserName
Wayman_Wong
#41Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/20/24 at 11:30pm

What's the running time of ''The Big Gay Jamboree'' at the Orpheum? I'm wondering if it's possible to catch the Saturday 5 p.m. show and still have time to get to a Saturday 8 p.m. show in Times Square. Thanks!

Updated On: 9/20/24 at 11:30 PM

ardiem
#42Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/21/24 at 1:25am

I saw it Thursday night - it began maybe around 7:11p and ended at 8:55p.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#43Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/21/24 at 1:25am

TodayTix has it listed as :90. Not sure how accurate that is, esp this early in performances. 

TheatreMonkey Profile Photo
TheatreMonkey
#44Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/21/24 at 1:33am

60'splayoff said: "Say what you will about the title...  It's also even more niche and bawdier than Schmigadoon and ya know, live on stage."

Oh, gee -- thanks for clearing that up! Had no idea something on AppleTV wasn't a live medium! (Though, ya know, it's about to be.)

Marla Mindelle and her co-creators do some absolutely top-notch work -- no shade on this production at all, I'm hoping to see it this fall. I didn't mean to press everyone's buttons -- but after a super clever title like "Titantique", kinda just felt Mindelle, et al, could do a bit better than what sounds, at best, like a great tagline; or at worst, a generic night of covers during Pride Month at 54 Below. 

Ptero2
#45Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/21/24 at 10:59am

Saw this with almost no expectations, as someone who never really felt enchanted by Titanique. Was surprised how much I loved it. TDF seats were row D orch on the aisle which were incredible and had tons of interaction!

The whole cast was perfect, but Paris Nix in particular blew my socks off. No idea how I've never heard of him before.

Ensemble1698878795
#46Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/23/24 at 11:41am

Saw this last night. Fun and silly times. It has its moments, but sometimes the laughs drop. I'll be curious how it's received critically. 

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#47Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/23/24 at 1:01pm

For those who have seen this, if one were to choose between this and seeing Titanique for the first time, what's your advice? I'll be in NY for a week in Novemember and can easily squeeze in one of the Mindelle shows at their 5 pm Saturday in between two other shows. 

charlie525600
#48Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/23/24 at 1:27pm

Saw this over the weekend - Talented cast and some catchy tunes, but I couldn't get into it. Pacing was breakneck and it's not nearly funny enough to make up for how dumb it is, at least for me.

60'splayoff Profile Photo
60'splayoff
#49Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/23/24 at 1:35pm

TheatreMonkey said: "60'splayoff said: "Say what you will about the title...It's also even more niche and bawdier than Schmigadoon and ya know, live on stage."

Oh, gee -- thanks for clearing that up! Had no idea something on AppleTV wasn't a live medium! (Though, ya know, it's about to be.)

Marla Mindelle and her co-creators do some absolutely top-notch work -- no shade on this production at all, I'm hoping to see it this fall. I didn't mean to press everyone's buttons -- but after a super clever title like "Titantique", kinda just felt Mindelle, et al, could do a bit better than what sounds, at best, like a great tagline; or at worst, a generic night of covers during Pride Month at 54 Below.
"

My comments weren't meant to be directed at any particular user. Just sharing that the title doesn't bother me and saying the 2 mediums are different in a cheeky way... until the stage production opens in DC. I just feel for the creative team because those comparisons are inevitable and the timing isn't ideal.

Videos