News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September - Page 6

Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#125Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/21/16 at 12:08pm

There's not a logo on this planet that could make a show this odd set the box office on fire. That's why Josh Groban's name is above the title- he's the biggest draw here, the logo isn't. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#126Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/21/16 at 12:13pm

QueenAlice said: "I know and it hasn't exactly lit the box office on fire in any of its earlier incarnations...."

All of its previous runs have been limited engagements, though- with apparently enough demand for two off-Broadway engagements in New York.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#127Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/21/16 at 12:36pm

^Well, yes, there's that -- although people here like to blame those things at times for a shows failure.

I can't wait to be able to get tickets to see this. (again)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#128Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/21/16 at 12:45pm

Kad -- Don't get me wrong - I love this show and am happy to see that it has found its way to Broadway, but truly, the reason this is happening is the persistence of its lead producer, Howard Kagan who is not only passionate about the production but very wealthy. He kept ON THE TOWN running almost a year with his own cash even though ticket sales didn't warrant it.

Similarly, I'm not sure there was really enough ticket demand to warrant the second Off Broadway tent production, but Kagan is to be commended to keeping the show out there. ART is a subscriber house, so I'm not sure we can point to that production's success as meaning much.  But getting Groban to sign on for Broadway was a real coup.

This is my suggestion for a poster. A huge image of Gosh Groan's face and on his jacket,  that Tsarist Russian coat of arms logo. Solves both problems. Tada!

The other person to be commended is Benton's agent. I've never heard of her and she has equal (and top) billing over Josh Groban.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 4/21/16 at 12:45 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#129Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/21/16 at 12:56pm

Yes, they are a subcriber house....but that alone does not sell out their shows, and certainly NOT with the fervor that this sold out with. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#130Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/21/16 at 1:07pm

Dramamamma-- I'm sure the show at ART sold out because it had fabulous word of mouth (because it is fabulous) but in terms of the marketing conversation --  I mean that ART is a subscription house with their own marketing team; my point is that the marketing (logo) in NYC in its two runs I think was only marginally successful. The show had great word of mouth, but it was never a hot ticket in either of its off Broadway tent productions and I think thatwas partly because the marketing campaign didn't really sell what the experience was. That crest logo just didn't do it.

Groban is obviously going to be their main push here, but I still think they need to come up with a marketing campaign that makes the show more enticing than that poster they just put out. I mean if you had no idea what the show was, what would you think it was from that?

Back Row
#131Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/21/16 at 1:15pm

I got my tickets very early, without knowing much about the show, and there were plenty of seats available. I tried three weeks later to get some additional tickets as a gift and found availability to be extremely limited. For whatever reason, whether it was word of mouth from New York or something else, this show sold out very quickly compared to some other shows at A.R.T. (When I bought tickets early in the run for Waitress and Finding Neverland, I had no problem getting good seats just a few days in advance)

I thought the show was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've ever had at A.R.T., and I was very glad my wife talked me into going. However, I agree that it may be a hard sell on its own merits at first, so hopefully Groban's name will give it some breathing room while it builds up positive momentum and word of mouth. I'm really pulling for this to be a hit. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#132Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/21/16 at 9:50pm

Is Denee Benton above the title? http://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/first-look-groban-benton-the-great-comet-poster_76801.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=21apr2016

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#133Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/21/16 at 9:53pm

In that poster, it would appear so, since her name is literally above the title, next to the words "JOSH GROBAN"

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."
Updated On: 4/22/16 at 09:53 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#134Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/21/16 at 9:56pm

I'm kind of confused on who can be above the title. I thought the person who is above the title is like the most famous this sells the most tickets. As much as I love her, Denee doesn't strike me as someone who can sell tickets.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#135Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/21/16 at 10:00pm

Too bad they didn't consult you before they designed the poster!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#136Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/21/16 at 10:12pm

Anyone can be above the title if the producers want them to be. Denee Benton isn't a name, but she's playing the biggest role in the show and the name of her character is the first word of the title. It makes sense for her to be above the title. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#137Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/21/16 at 10:15pm

wonderfulwizard11 said: "Anyone can be above the title if the producers want them to be. Denee Benton isn't a name, but she's playing the biggest role in the show and the name of her character is the first word of the title. It makes sense for her to be above the title. "

Exactly. And sometimes you see the flip-side, where someone famous is in a show but not above the title, like Marlee Matlin in Spring Awakening.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#138Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/21/16 at 10:42pm

Anyone can be above the title: that's a producer's call -- but I frankly think its silly for anyone to be over the title for this show which is just about the definition of 'ensemble musical.' It would be like having Phillipa Soo and Lin Manuel Miranda over the title for HAMILTON.  I wonder if they will be beefing up Groban's role because off Broadway at least, it was almost a supporting part.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#139Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:13pm

QueenAlice said: "I wonder if they will be beefing up Groban's role because off Broadway at least, it was almost a supporting part."

They already did. Malloy wrote an extra song for Pierre in act 1 called "Dust and Ashes." It was in the show at A.R.T, and it was a pretty meaty number. I think it was something like 7 minutes long. 

PerfidiousRaoul
#140Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/24/16 at 12:10am

Weird that they chose to exclude 'and' on the poster, it just says Natasha Pierre the Great Comet of 1812. Maybe they are opting for just The Great Comet of 1812. Groban and Benton's costumes look awesome though!

RentBoy86
#141Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/24/16 at 12:13am

I think Groban's involvement will def. make this feel less "ensemble" like. 

PerfidiousRaoul
#142Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/24/16 at 12:20am

I just hope he manages to act the part well, and I really wanna hear the new 'Dust and Ashes' song! Anyone got *ahem* a recording for it?

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#143Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/24/16 at 1:52am

I actually wonder if we'll get a new recording when it comes to broadway.  The original recording is so amazing but I would love to add this new cast to my collection.

PerfidiousRaoul
#144Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/24/16 at 2:10am

I certainly hope there's a new recording! It seems a bit pointless, considering a decent amount of the cast is the same, but I don't think they'd pass on the opportunity to make a new recording with Mr Groban. By the way, how popular is Josh Groban? Is he really that much of a draw? (Forgive my ignorance, I've just never met someone who's a fan to be honest).

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#145Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/24/16 at 3:15am

He just had a major tour 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#146Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/24/16 at 3:27am

PerfidiousRaoul said: "I certainly hope there's a new recording! It seems a bit pointless, considering a decent amount of the cast is the same, but I don't think they'd pass on the opportunity to make a new recording with Mr Groban. By the way, how popular is Josh Groban? Is he really that much of a draw? (Forgive my ignorance, I've just never met someone who's a fan to be honest)."

He's huge. I think most of his fans are middle-aged women (people who coincidentally love Broadway shows).

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."
Updated On: 4/24/16 at 03:27 AM

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#147Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/24/16 at 3:39am

He's a huge draw, yes. Grammy nominated, as well. Good title for marketing.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#148Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/24/16 at 3:51am

He may not be a radio star in the way say Beyonce is but he's definitely extremely popular especially as gypsy says with certain key demographics.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

mtchairs Profile Photo
mtchairs
#149Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/24/16 at 4:34am

He also has 863,277 followers on Twitter if that's a measure of popularity Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September

He is currently in the middle of a sold out tour of Australia for his 'Stages' album and has been talking about his upcoming Broadway debut. He did a Q&A session for his record company this week and had this to say about the Great Comet...

https://twitter.com/WarnerMusicAU/status/721935469898928129

Videos