News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September - Page 5

Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#100Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/30/16 at 1:37pm

Sounds like it Sorano -- I just don't think "The Great Comet" is very appealing.  And it doesn't suggest the show at all. "Natasha Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812" was long but it was quirky and unusual and oddly enough feels like the material.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#101Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/30/16 at 1:38pm

Odd. It's still using the full title in all of its branding. Perhaps they are just trying to push an abbreviation?  

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#102Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/30/16 at 1:39pm

www.greatcometbroadway.com still has the full name listed as its main logo/title.

Updated On: 3/30/16 at 01:39 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#103Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/30/16 at 1:42pm

The production's Facebook page is The Great Comet, but still uses the full title / logo. It appears as though they were using #TheGreatComet for quite some time.

I think the full title is remaining the same but is shortened to The Great Comet for ease.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#104Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/30/16 at 1:45pm

I hope thats the case. But I wouldn't surprised if we end up seeing a re-branding. They've got time to do it if they want to...

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#105Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/30/16 at 1:58pm

Lots have given themselves catchier "nicknames" in the past.  I don't think the plan here is anything different.

Drood

Les Miz

Phantom

etc....

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#106Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/30/16 at 2:09pm

Broadway.com said in their press release of announcing the full cast that the name had been changed, but they have since deleted that part of the article. It said: 

"We have a new name, an opening night date and a full cast for the musical formerly known as Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812. Renamed The Great Comet, the production, featuring the Broadway debuts of 18 cast and creative team members including Josh Groban as Pierre..."

I imagine the writers in Broadway.com got confused (shocker) after seeing the show referred to by its nickname. Like I said, that part of the article has been deleted. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#107Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/30/16 at 2:11pm

yeah, I've learned to avoid press releases from Broadway.com

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

dramamama611
#108Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/30/16 at 2:14pm

I wonder if that part was suppose to be a later press release?   

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

KCW Profile Photo
KCW
#109Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/30/16 at 5:53pm

I loved the old name, plain loved it. I hope that they don't change it. The largest difference I would want to see is just having the nickname of the Great Comet but retaining the original name.

I appoligise for any spelling mistakes. I may be on my mobile. Clumsy fingers and small little touchscreen keys don't mixx. I try to spellcheck, but I may miss something.

laughingplace
#110Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/30/16 at 6:18pm

I am wondering about this and Groundhog Day

KCW Profile Photo
KCW
#112Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/30/16 at 9:03pm

I feel like I saw that early March, but Groban should be fine. He is a good acordian player and sounds reasonable for the part. yay! 2017 Tonys, watch out for NPATGCOET! 

I appoligise for any spelling mistakes. I may be on my mobile. Clumsy fingers and small little touchscreen keys don't mixx. I try to spellcheck, but I may miss something.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#113Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/30/16 at 9:58pm

There are very few shows that I've rooted for as hard as I do this one. Nothing would make me happier than to see this take home Best Musical and to see Malloy take home Best Score. 

KCW Profile Photo
KCW
#114Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/31/16 at 7:25am

That would make my year, Tony wins like that. But the thing I wish most for them is a profitable run. They deserve both and anyone who is reading this who has not listened to the Cast Recording should go and listen to the first song, Prologue. You'll really have to give your absolute attention to it, but if you do you will be just as excited for it as Jbroadway and myself. It does have Phillipa Soo (Eliza) in it, you rabid Hamilton fans. (She is Natasha) The song is 10 times better live, and I mean that genuinely. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#115Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/6/16 at 5:46pm

Their website has updated with a countdown and April 24 as the date for a "exclusive ticket presale,"

It also confirms that the full title is still Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812.

smidge
#116Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/6/16 at 7:04pm

Debating whether to get tickets right away for this or wait for a discount

dramamama611
#117Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/13/16 at 10:11am

The Great Comet got some award at the Irne Awards (Boston Theater awards).

http://www.theatermania.com/boston-theater/news/great-comet-jessie-mueller-more-win-irne-awards_76684.html

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#118Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/21/16 at 10:27am

Poster art! 

https://twitter.com/joshgroban/status/723151528916185090

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#119Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:06am

That poster art looks tacky; it reminds me of what we see in the UK. The heads at the bottom look a little 'tacked on' -- hopefully they keep evolving the design.

Interesting that they are making Denee Benton an over the title name with equal billing with Groban.

Updated On: 4/21/16 at 11:06 AM

bwayboy22 Profile Photo
bwayboy22
#120Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:31am

I absolutely love this artwork, I think it's stunning although they look wonderful I think it would look even better without Benton and Groban!

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#121Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:36am

The other problem with that poster is it tells you nothing about the show.  I like the 'mark' of the title art, but it could be the mark for perfume, a clothing line, etc.  They need to pair it with a better image. Hopefully when the show has some usable images they will incorporate.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#122Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:42am

This logo is consistent with the show's branding thus far, just more gilded. They've always used a variation of a Tsarist Russian coat of arms.

Updated On: 4/21/16 at 11:42 AM

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#123Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:44am

I know and it hasn't exactly lit the box office on fire in any of its earlier incarnations....

dramamama611
#124Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 4/21/16 at 12:07pm

I can't speak to NY productions, but it was a huge box office hit at the ART. 

Videos