News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

DOUBT 2024 Previews

UnderstudiesAndStandbys
#25DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/3/24 at 10:27pm

Here's a little blurb I wrote for someone else who asked how Isabel was + first preview:

The artistic director & director of the play, Scott Ellis, spoke to us before the performance began. He thanked us for being at first preview, and gave well wishes to Tyne Daly who is expected to resume performances next week.

Isabel Keating as standby Sister Aloysius may be the most incredible understudy performance I have EVER seen.

Scott told us that the understudies were hired 9 DAYS AGO in a strictly observational capacity, with understudy rehearsals beginning sometime after previews. When Tyne fell ill on Friday, they canceled that evening's performance (the original first preview) expecting her to return on Saturday. When later that evening that did not seem likely, Scott turned to Isabel and asked if she was ready to go on.

Isabel had 24 hours of rehearsal time. Scott said that she had never put on her costume, had never been on the (complex & moving) set, never heard the sound & light cues of the show. The focus shifted to getting her ready to perform for this evening.

Sister Aloysius is the leading role of DOUBT. She is on-stage for 80% of the show (only off-stage for a few scenes), and has hundreds of lines - many more than the other actors.

Isabel did the entire show off-script, with all of the blocking and prop work. She milked every funny moment. She sold every heartbreaking moment. She only called for a line once, but did it in-character and you could blink & miss it.

My mouth was literally agape for the first half of the performance before I remembered my manners.

DOUBT 2024 Previews

Updated On: 2/3/24 at 10:27 PM

suzycat Profile Photo
suzycat
#26DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/3/24 at 10:36pm

Thank you for this report! How thrilling!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#27DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/3/24 at 10:38pm

Website lists a 95-minute running time, no intermission. 

How was Schreiber?

Oh look, a bibu!

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#28DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/3/24 at 11:21pm

I’m so sad I missed this. But tonight sounded thrilling. 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Broadway61004
#29DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/4/24 at 7:48am

One thing I've been curious about since they've announced this casting: Part of the tension between Father Flynn and Sister Aloysius is because he's this young, idealistic, new-age priest coming in and shaking up a lot of the traditional ways of thinking (written to be mid to late thirties, if not even a little younger). So how does that dynamic change with Schreiber, who's nearly 60, taking on the role?

Zeppie2022
#30DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/4/24 at 9:17am

"One thing I've been curious about since they've announced this casting: Part of the tension between Father Flynn and Sister Aloysius is because he's this young, idealistic, new-age priest coming in and shaking up a lot of the traditional ways of thinking (written to be mid to late thirties, if not even a little younger). So how does that dynamic change with Schreiber, who's nearly 60, taking on the role?"

I don't think it matters much. Father Flynn is written to be very charismatic and popular in the parish. Being older could make sense because priests that are very popular have usually been in the parish a long time. Father Flynn shaking up a lot of ways does not necessarily mean he is young man although that trait is usually associated with a younger person. I personally think it is his ideas not age that created the tension between him and Sister Aloysius.

Broadway61004
#31DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/4/24 at 10:56am

Zeppie2022 said: ""I don't think it matters much. Father Flynn is written to be very charismatic and popular in the parish. Being older could make sense because priests that are very popular have usually been in the parish a long time. Father Flynn shaking up a lot of ways does not necessarily mean he is young man although that trait is usually associated with a younger person. I personally think it is his ideas not age that created the tension between him and Sister Aloysius."

Agreed that it's the ideas that create the tension, but given that era in the Catholic Church it just seems incredibly likely that this would be a much younger man, not one of the older priests who presumably attended seminary school 30+ years prior. To be clear, I love Schreiber and can't wait to see him in the role. Just curious from anyone who's seen it (and perhaps seen the show previously with a younger Flynn) if the age "change" did in fact make it seem much different.

MemorableUserName
#32DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/4/24 at 11:32am

Shanley also specifies the ages in the script, so whether or not Flynn could be older, it wasn't the author's intent.

DOUBT 2024 Previews

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#33DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/4/24 at 2:14pm

Congrats to Isabel Keating! What a pro.

Regarding Father Flynn, I agree that it is probably better if he is in his thirties or forties, but it doesn't really matter that much, and at a Hollywood 56, I doubt Schreiber's age is too much of an issue. Tyne Daly is also 77, so the age difference between the two characters is still the same.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#34DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/4/24 at 2:36pm

Having not seen this revival yet –– and having only seen it with a 30-sometning Flynn onstage and a 41-year-old on screen –– it could add depth to the character if the audience is to think "what was this guy doing before the play begins? Who else has he hurt?"

Shanley also had casting approval, so he's clearly fine with it.

In this revival we also have a Jewish actor playing an Irish-American character, which is interesting for a multitude of reasons.

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#35DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/4/24 at 3:07pm

I would love to see Brendan Fraser tackle the role of Fr Flynn.

Rainah
#36DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/4/24 at 4:29pm

UnderstudiesAndStandbys said: "had never been on the (complex & moving) set,"

Can you describe the set at all? I was guessing it had a revolving piece, from what I saw of rehearsal photos.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#37DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/4/24 at 5:05pm

This is an interesting one for me. I love this play, and I loved the original production with Cherry Jones that I saw on tour back in 2006. That being said, this production is passable, but is very “safe” in all aspects for lack of a better word.

The cast is good, but never GREAT. I, of course, realize Isabel Keating just stepped in with next to no rehearsal, and she gives a solid performance. Liev Scrheiber was fine as was Zoey Kazan. Quincy Tyler Bernstine is also fine. 

I guess “fine” is how I would describe this revival based on what I saw this afternoon… when I saw the original play (and even the film), I remember being on the edge of my seat and the tension was absolutely palpable. The final confrontation scene between Sister Aloysius and Father Flynn was explosive. In this production, it’s merely a somewhat tense conversation, but there is no spark.

The set is handsome enough. Exactly what you’d expect - nothing more and nothing less. The office unit moves back for the sermons and rotates around for the courtyard scenes.

I will definitely revisit this with Tyne Daly to see if my view changes. While this is a respectable enough production, it just never really took off and reached the dramatic heights this play should.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 2/4/24 at 05:05 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#38DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/5/24 at 5:40pm

bwayphreak234 said: "This is an interesting one for me. I love this play, and I loved the original production with Cherry Jones that I saw on tour back in 2006. That being said, this production is passable, but is very “safe” in all aspects for lack of a better word.."

Saw Jones as well, and even after all these years, doesn't seem like I need a revisit. Still too soon?!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#39DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/5/24 at 5:47pm

haterobics said: "bwayphreak234 said: "This is an interesting one for me. I love this play, and I loved the original production with Cherry Jones that I saw on tour back in 2006. That being said, this production is passable, but is very “safe” in all aspects for lack of a better word.."

Saw Jones as well, and even after all these years, doesn't seem like I need a revisit. Still too soon?!
"

I feel the same way. The original production packed such a punch. For me, this isn't a play that I need to revisit as a revival. (I think I would have seen the original cast again if I could have) 

Just give the world Love.

yyys
#40DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/5/24 at 7:29pm

Selling ONE mezzanine row G for this Saturday, 2/10 , 8 PM show, below face value, $60.  PM me!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#41DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/5/24 at 7:43pm

uncageg said: "haterobics said: "bwayphreak234 said: "This is an interesting one for me. I love this play, and I loved the original production with Cherry Jones that I saw on tour back in 2006. That being said, this production is passable, but is very “safe” in all aspects for lack of a better word.."

"

I feel the same way. The original production packed such a punch. For me, this isn't a play that I need to revisit as a revival. (I think I would have seen the original cast again if I could have)

"

I hear ya

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#42DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/5/24 at 10:04pm

With all of this talk of “I remember the original cast,” let’s not forget how amazing Dame Eileen Atkins was as Cherry’s replacement!

With that said, I was really excited about this revival and planning on going next week, but I think I may just wait for the reviews before committing. 

Zeppie2022
#43DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/6/24 at 12:02am

"Saw Jones as well, and even after all these years, doesn't seem like I need a revisit. Still too soon?!"

I guess you can say revival will give people a chance to see it who missed it during the original run. Hard to imagine any cast being better than the original but will know real soon. It has been 20 years since it opened so would waiting another 10 years actually be better? Will be interesting if this play has aged well and audience reaction.

bwayphreak234
#44DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/6/24 at 6:34am

The more I think on this, the more I realize that 99.99% of my problems with this revival stem from the direction. The material is never allowed to shine - the stake are not high enough, there is not enough tension, and everything from the performances to the design just feels a little restrained and watered down. There's just no bite or spark here. I have had this same problem with several of Scott Ellis's productions - a lot of them jut feel so stagnant and stale.

The Other One
#45DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/6/24 at 11:56am

bwayphreak234 said: "The more I think on this, the more I realize that 99.99% of my problems with this revival stem from the direction. The material is never allowed to shine - the stake are not high enough, there is not enough tension, and everything from the performances to the design just feels a little restrained and watered down. There's just no bite or spark here. I have had this same problem with several of Scott Ellis's productions - a lot of them jut feel so stagnant and stale."

Good Heavens.  They performed their first previews with a lead actress they had never rehearsed with (and who had barely been rehearsed!) and you feel qualified to assess the inherent problems of the production?  Granted Doug Hughes had a lot to do with the thorough success of the original but I'm sure even that production took a minute to settle in.

bwayphreak234
#46DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/6/24 at 12:02pm

The Other One said: "bwayphreak234 said: "The more I think on this, the more I realize that 99.99% of my problems with this revival stem from the direction. The material is never allowed to shine - the stake are not high enough, there is not enough tension, and everything from the performances to the design just feels a little restrained and watered down. There's just no bite or spark here. I have had this same problem with several of Scott Ellis's productions - a lot of them jut feel so stagnant and stale."

Good Heavens. They performed their first previews with a lead actress they had never rehearsed with (and who had barely been rehearsed!) and you feel qualified to assess the inherent problems of the production? Granted Doug Hughes had a lot to do with the thorough success of the original but I'm sure even that production took a minute to settle in.
"

As a paying audience member who is familiar with the play, I absolutely feel like I have a right to assess what I saw. I acknowledged in my prior post that I realized this was Isabel Keating's first time in the role with little rehearsal. I fail to see how my assessing and analyzing a production in early previews is any different than what everyone else does in EVERY preview thread on this board. Not sure why you feel the need to come after me specifically, but have at it if that's what floats your boat.

Updated On: 2/6/24 at 12:02 PM

JSquared2
#47DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/6/24 at 12:07pm

bwayphreak234 said: "The Other One said: "bwayphreak234 said: "The more I think on this, the more I realize that 99.99% of my problems with this revival stem from the direction. The material is never allowed to shine - the stake are not high enough, there is not enough tension, and everything from the performances to the design just feels a little restrained and watered down. There's just no bite or spark here. I have had this same problem with several of Scott Ellis's productions - a lot of them jut feel so stagnant and stale."

Good Heavens. They performed their first previews with a lead actress they had never rehearsed with (and who had barely been rehearsed!) and you feel qualified to assess the inherent problems of the production? Granted Doug Hughes had a lot to do with the thorough success of the original but I'm sure even that production took a minute to settle in.
"

As a paying audience member who is familiar with the play, I absolutely feel like I have a right to assess what I saw. I acknowledged in my prior post that I realized this was Isabel Keating's first time in the role with little rehearsal. I fail to see how my assessing and analyzing a production in early previews is any different than what everyone else does in EVERY preview thread on this board. Not sure why you feel the need to come after me specifically, but have at it if that's what floats your boat.
"

Hmm.  As a poster who regularly posts some of the harshest criticisms on BWW, bwayphreak you sure don't like it when anyone calls you out on it, do you?

Rainah
#48DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/6/24 at 1:17pm

Zeppie2022 said: ""Saw Jones as well, and even after all these years, doesn't seem like I need a revisit. Still too soon?!"

I guess you can say revival will give people a chance to see it who missed it during the original run. Hard to imagine any cast being better than the original but will know real soon.
"

I'm in that boat! Missed the original production, but fell in love with the script. We're making a special trip to NYC to see it. Even if it never quite lives up to the original (what does?), to be seeing even a decent professional production at all is thrilling.

But I think we also need to see the actual full cast in the role and having settled in a bit to be able to judge for sure. Plays like this thrive on the subtle interpersonal. If you're acting against someone you've literally never run it with before, it makes sense to be more reserved.

nasty_khakis
#49DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/6/24 at 2:36pm

Just got an email that Keating is on again tonight.

I hope Tyne is well and it's nothing serious. 

Videos