News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

DOUBT 2024 Previews

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#100DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/18/24 at 9:24pm

150 percent I do (and this has been discussed to death, no need to revisit). By all means a great performance, but removed a layer for the play’s subtext. Regardless, thrilled this show is back, and shocked it didn’t come sooner. 

berniesb!tch
#101DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/19/24 at 11:06am

I saw the show two weekends ago, right before Amy Ryan took over. Having read the play and seen the movie I was honestly underwhelmed by the production. I know the situation wasn't ideal with Tyne, but I felt as though the whole production lacked bite and intensity. The movie makes me feel so icky and sad, and this kind of left me feeling like.....nothing. I even found Mrs. Muller to be underwhelming in what should be THE memorable scene.

I definitely enjoyed myself enough, and will be returning to see Amy in the role, but overall was expecting a lot more. 

Zeppie2022
#102DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/19/24 at 11:38am

I thought it would be interesting to read the NY Times review in 2004 done by Brantley, see link below.

A Nun Who Is Certain, Even if Truth Is Not - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#103DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/19/24 at 11:48am

wsondheim94 said: "You think PSH read as "guilty without even trying"?? I disagree. I think Denis OHare would fall into that category but I'd pay good money to see it."

This was an extremely common criticism of his casting at the time, from what I recall. PSH had an inherent darker quality he brought to his roles, often to very great effect. But, as others have noted, that worked against him in Doubt, because Aloysious looks reasonable to suspect him immediately. The things that initially draw her attention are Flynn's embrace of secularism and progressive reform of the Church- along with her general misanthropy- not suspicion of sexual abuse.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

sondheim94 Profile Photo
sondheim94
#104DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/19/24 at 4:57pm

Thanks for explaining Kad. Not my experience with the movie but interesting nonetheless.

And I have to laugh at BroadwayNYC2's opinion of "no need to revisit" in a thread about Doubt when there's a thread going on right now about Fish's Oklahoma for the umpteenth time XD

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#105DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/19/24 at 8:43pm

That film adaptation was flat and lifeless, with almost nonexistent stakes to this viewer who saw the original production three times. The text is good but it still needs a production to make it crackle, including a strong director. That OBC was lightning, and even the replacement cast (Atkins) underwhelmed me following Jones and O’Byrne. 

Having adored Amy Ryan since seeing her in Streetcar back in 2005, a few months before seeing Doubt actually, I wish her tremendous success here. 

KevinKlawitter
#106DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/19/24 at 9:29pm

Kad said: "wsondheim94 said: "You think PSH read as "guilty without even trying"?? I disagree. I think Denis OHare would fall into that category but I'd pay good money to see it."

This was an extremely common criticism of his casting at the time, from what I recall. PSH had an inherent darker quality he brought to his roles, often to very great effect. But, as others have noted, that worked against him in Doubt, because Aloysious looks reasonable to suspect him immediately. The things that initially draw her attention are Flynn's embrace of secularism and progressive reform of the Church- along with her general misanthropy- not suspicion of sexual abuse.
"

I rewatched the movie yesterday (I think for the first time since it was released) and it played a lot more ambiguous than on my earlier viewing. Maybe it's because there's an inherently more sympathetic element to watching Philip Seymour Hoffmann now vs at the time, but ultimately I could see legitimate interpretations of his being guilty or innocent, or even if the doubts Aloysious professes at the end are about Flynn's guilt or rather if she did the right thing by forcing him out regardless of whether he was guilty or innocent.

The Other One
#107DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/20/24 at 6:29am

Something to consider when comparing the film version of Doubt to the play is that Shanley himself directed it, so the shift to a more obviously guilty Flynn is almost assuredly deliberate. 

That said, it worked far better on stage when Hughes, Jones and O'Byrne kept us on our toes.  The film simply did not have the charge of the original production.

The striking element in the current production's casting, which I have not yet seen, is the more imposing Schreiber as Father Flynn.  Opposite Ryan, Keating or Daly, this was bound to steer the play differently.

Midnight Radio
#108DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/20/24 at 10:48am

Having only ever seen the film prior, I had always taken Sister Aloysious' doubts at the end to be her doubt in the institution of the Catholic church and even her faith at large, going back to Father Flynn's original sermon.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

When I saw this production with Isabel Keating, this reading was inforced to me by the Bible (I assumed this was Sister Aloysious', but would look more closely at the moment on an additional viewing) being left on the bench at the end of the play. It seemed very much to point that Sister Aloysious is doubting her faith, and has gone from certain to in doubt or even abandoment by the events that transpire in the play.

kevinr
#109DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/20/24 at 1:58pm

What is the stage door like after the show?  I am a big fan of Liev & Amy.  Thanks for any responses in advance.

PipingHotPiccolo
#110DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/20/24 at 8:34pm

Midnight Radio said: "Having only ever seen the film prior, I had always taken Sister Aloysious' doubts at the end to be her doubt in the institution of the Catholic church and even her faith at large, going back to Father Flynn's original sermon.

"

I think that her discussion of doubt at the end is meant to mirror the opening sermon about the same subject, and with Cherry Jones, it was pretty clear that her "doubt" was whole- meaning her entire character broke down at the end, as she doubted everything she believed in. I didnt get that as much from Amy Ryan though you make a good point re the staging.

Rainah
#111DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/23/24 at 1:58pm

Seems there's a digital lottery now. No mention of in person lottery on playbill.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#112DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/23/24 at 2:10pm

Rainah said: "Seems there's a digital lottery now. No mention of in person lottery on playbill."

It has a digital rush on TodayTix, not a lottery, and the Roundabout website also mentions a general rush at the box office.

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#113DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/23/24 at 3:04pm

Saw this a few nights ago and really enjoyed it - though, as others have said, I think this was mostly because of the play itself rather than this production. All the acting was great, and I did love watching that stage and set design. 

Musicaldudepeter
#114DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/24/24 at 5:19am

Can someone describe the set design and how it all works in this production? Thanks 

ardiem
#115DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/24/24 at 10:05am

Musicaldudepeter said: "Can someone describe the set design and how it all works in this production? Thanks"

From what I recall,

there are three settings. For the scenes where Father Flynn is preaching, we see an empty, black stage with a few stained glass window panels hanging. The bulk of the play occurs in Sister Aloysius' office, a larger setpiece that fades into view/emerges from downstage that takes up about a third of the stage's width. The office set piece rotates to reveal a stone exterior, and some other stone walls and a bench slide into view from house left to complement the exterior scenes.

Dreamboy3
#116DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/25/24 at 10:17am

I saw this last night. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I couldn’t imagine anyone stepping into Cherry Jones’ shoes, though I was eager to see Tyne Daly try. I thought Amy Ryan would be totally wrong for the part if only because I couldn’t see her as a formidable nemesis of the priest. But I was wrong. It actually worked to her advantage since it underscored the challenges faced by nuns in the church hierarchy. And I thought this production was more nuanced than the original with a more ambiguous ending. While I thought Liev Shreiber s too old he had an edge of cynicism which worked by virtue of his age. 

And as others have noted, the play itself is terrific. It gets right to the point and covers so much in its 90 somewhat minutes. And I had forgotten how funny it was. It’s hard to imagine that this is the same playwright who wrote the dreadful Brooklyn Laundry. 

BarnabyTucker Profile Photo
BarnabyTucker
#117DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/25/24 at 3:26pm

I caught this one this past Thursday and thought it was a competent production of a fantastic play.

My take is that Amy Ryan was leading from a place of fear instead of a place of anger.  When Father Flynn was alone with her, I really thought she believed she was in the presence of Satan.  This is a woman who has spent her whole life taking orders from the patriarchal diocese, and now she's stepping out of line because she knows unspeakable evils are at work. 

Schreiber also offers a very sympathetic performance.  I don't think his Father Flynn did what he was accused of, and I've never seen an actor's interpretation of that role that left me feeling that way.

The production lacks momentum and part of me wonders if it's because this Sister Aloysius doesn't carry the bite that Cherry Jones or, to a lesser extent, Meryl Streep brought to the part but I really think it's just poor direction.  These four pros are giving exceptional performances and I wish they had a director who would have wrapped it up more neatly for them.

Dionysus3 Profile Photo
Dionysus3
#118DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/25/24 at 4:02pm

BarnabyTucker said: "I caught this one this past Thursday and thought it was a competent production of a fantastic play.

My take is that Amy Ryan was leading from a place of fear instead of a place of anger. When Father Flynn was alone with her, I really thought she believed she was in the presence of Satan. This is a woman who has spent her whole life taking orders from the patriarchal diocese, and now she's stepping out of line because she knows unspeakable evils are at work.

Schreiber also offers a very sympathetic performance. I don't think his Father Flynn did what he was accused of, and I've never seen an actor's interpretation of that role that left me feeling that way.

The production lacks momentum and part of me wonders if it's because this Sister Aloysius doesn't carry the bite that Cherry Jones or, to a lesser extent,Meryl Streep brought to the part but I really think it's just poor direction. These four pros are giving exceptional performances and I wish they had a director who would have wrapped it up more neatly for them.

"

This is among my favorite plays; I think it’s one of the best of the 21st century. I made a trip this week primarily to see this play. While the production has a lot to like about it, I’ve been trying to process my disappointment with it since Wednesday, and I think you essentially describe my feelings. This is a stellar play, and the four actors here give nice, believable performances. They do an admirable job of finding the humor in the play, and the audience the night I went laughed frequently. But it did not feel like it had a cohesive vision, and that’s 100% on the director. It felt staged rather than directed, and the entire thing felt flat and anticlimactic. I’m not certain it earned its ending. I’m glad I got a chance to see a Broadway production of this; I didn’t get to see the original production. I’d even go again if I could. It’s a beautiful set, and the actors are each doing their best. It’s just a shame the production feels rudderless. 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#119DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/28/24 at 5:50pm

Is there really not a single clip of Cherry Jones' performance on YouTube?

terrilovesNY
#120DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/28/24 at 6:38pm

I purchased an orchestra box seat listed as partial view for a Saturday matinee, a few days prior I received an email from Roundabout stating those seats were sold in error and they were relocating me to rear orchestra. I was glad to have a full view of the stage and the set is beautiful. Having not seen the movie or the previous Broadway staging,  I will echo what most are saying here, this is a great play stuck in a rather dull production.  

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#121DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/28/24 at 7:27pm

Those box seats in orch level are my favorite seats in that theater since they're actual freestanding chairs and you are right they're not selling them for this production. I'm guessing creatives may sit there during previews taking notes and what not.

Dionysus3 Profile Photo
Dionysus3
#122DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/28/24 at 7:53pm

Wick3 said: "Those box seats in orch level are my favorite seats in that theater since they're actual freestanding chairs and you are right they're not selling them for this production. I'm guessing creatives may sit there during previewstaking notes and what not."

The house staff was nice enough to allow me to relocate to the house right orchestra box when I saw this. Having a box to yourself is the way to see any show, honestly. You don’t miss any of the action, but the view of the set is limited from there; the entire upstage of the office, for instance, is out of view. I only got to see some of the details (such as the bookcase) during the transitions. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#123DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/28/24 at 10:38pm

Fascinating evening tonight. I love this play so much and one of the things I love so much about it is that the text is written so brilliantly, so you're going to get a different show with every single person you put in it. The original cast, I was 100% convinced that O'Byrne was guilty. When Ron Eldard took over, I believe he made me cry because I felt so bad for what they were accusing him of and Hoffman again, I just knew he was guilty. The motivations of Sister Aloysius changes for me, as well. Amy Ryan did something very interesting tonight and discussing it afterwards, my buddy picked up on the same thing. She played the role more "normal" at first than I remember anyone else doing it. Just a normal ol' nun. But when she had the talk with Sister James, she changed. And again, this is all up to individual interpretation of the characters, but Ryan seemed to be convincing herself in real time that what she was saying MUST be true and then spending the rest of the show making sure that what she convinced herself was right. That's how I took it and watching her like that it was a pretty great. The age similarity didn't even occur to me until I opened this thread when I got home but I don't think it added or subtracted from the dynamic. As for Schreiber's Father Flynn, because of his performance combined with how I interpreted Ryan's, I again was convinced he was innocent. 

Again, I love how 700 people can sit in that theater, and everyone walks out with their own ideas about what happened. 

Updated On: 2/29/24 at 10:38 PM

PipingHotPiccolo
#124DOUBT 2024 Previews
Posted: 2/28/24 at 11:39pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I love this play so much and one of the things I love so much about it is that the text is written so brilliantly that you're going to get a different show with every single person you put in it."

Perfectly put. 

Videos