News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

13 Reviews

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#50re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 8:03pm

MTV and Nickelodeon. No way would Disney run an ad for a competing Broadway show.

MusicalComedyMan
#51re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 8:04pm

Does anyone else sing FOOTLOOSE to the title track? "I'm just about to turn just about turn" Footloose....

jake6970
#52re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 8:05pm

They should make this into a TV movie.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#53re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 8:14pm

True, CATS. Disney would be ideal but they'd never okay it.

~Steven

jake6970
#54re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 8:16pm

I could see it on the N.

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#55re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 8:16pm

Word of Mouth is Very Positive:

HELEN "IS FOURTEEN, AND KNOWS HER JASON ROBERT BROWN": I kinda' expected it to be more High School Musical-ish, which isn't really my taste, but it was really good. I liked it."

DEANNA: "This is a really energetic show that I would recommend."

MICHAEL: "I think families would really connect with it."

http://www.broadway.com/13/broadway_reviews/5012161

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

commasplice
#56re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 8:20pm

Two-and-a-half stars from USA Today, which calls it an "innocuous and sometimes touching diversion":

http://www.usatoday.com/life/theater/reviews/2008-10-05-thirteen_N.htm

"...13 composer/lyricist Jason Robert Brown and librettists Dan Elish and Robert Horn serve up pop-culture parody peppered with politically incorrect humor and sweetened with some sentimentality. The plot is utter hooey in this case, centered on a Jewish boy from New York who lands in small-town Indiana when his parents split up just before his bar mitzvah."

"That 13 is seldom either surprising or offensive is a credit to both the limited imagination of its creative team and the winsome freshness of its all-teen cast, directed with obvious affection by Jeremy Sams. With the exception of the strong-voiced Elizabeth Egan Gillies, who is rather too convincing as the precocious mean girl of her class, none of these performers come across as stage kids, and their unaffected energy is undeniably contagious."

(The reviewer also liked Trimm, Phillips, Gross, Calderon, Hammond, and Moro.)
Updated On: 10/5/08 at 08:20 PM

WishingOnlyWounds2
#57re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 8:29pm

"None of these performers come across as stage kids."

Delaney Moro, Graham Phillips, and Eamon Foley's resume...

All I'm saying.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

SporkGoddess
#58re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 9:21pm

MusicalComedyMan: Haha, I never realized that! I always thought it sounded like the title song from RENT.

Also, "It Can't Be True" sounds like "You're No Good" by Linda Ronstadt (sp?) to me.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

COOOOLkid
#59re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 9:22pm

Wow, the critics are much nicer than I thought they'd be.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#60re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 9:28pm

It's really not the crash-and-burn vehicle people thought it would be. I had a good time.

~Steven

SingingCats Profile Photo
SingingCats
#61re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 9:33pm

Yea I enjoyed the show too, but I'm still surprised that the reviews are all mixed-positive.

Here_I_Go_Again
#62re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 9:40pm

im shocked that this show is getting that good of reviews, i was in awwwww the night i saw it and thought it was a mess!!! bless the kids but for 120.00 i'd rather see real theatre!!!!

DrTheatre Profile Photo
DrTheatre
#63re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 9:55pm

Maybe it's not getting great reviews because the stuff that was considered insulting and a mess was cut and may have improved a lot. Which in some can make it a really different show!

"In the U.S.A. You can have your say, You can set you goals And seize the day, You've been given the freedom To work your way To the head of the line- To the head of the line!" ---Stephen Sondheim

BustopherPhantom
#64re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 10:05pm

Which in some can make it a really different show!

It was interesting to read a review that praised the show for not making a joke of "the crippled kid," knowing that it used to! And THANK GOD it doesn't anymore!

THAT'S THEATER!

-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

WishingOnlyWounds2
#65re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 10:10pm

^^^
Everyone said teenagers wouldn't say that. The producers read these boards, so they cut it. Critics come around and realize teens would say that and are surprised it wasn't in the show!

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

eatlasagna
#66re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 10:14pm

i saw 13 when it played up in Los Angeles and I quite enjoyed it... i'm glad it's getting positive reviews in New York... i still miss that Being a Geek song...

Yankeefan007
#67re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 10:17pm

An undeniable "can't figure out what the hell he thinks" review by Mr. B. That said, I think it's mixed. Perhaps a perfunctory shrug of the shoulders is more specific.

http://theater2.nytimes.com/2008/10/06/theater/reviews/06bran.html?8dpc

"I can’t imagine that anyone who isn’t in early adolescence would be crazy about “13,” the shiny and brash new musical about growing up geeky that opened Sunday night at the Bernard B. Jacobs Theater. Featuring a cast of 13 performers, all under 18, and a band drawn from the same age pool, “13” certainly has on tap that natural radioactive energy that makes young teenagers so appealing and so scary.

Yet as one who remembers being 13 with vividness and enduring horror, I can’t say that these obviously talented kids ever made me shiver, sweat or even smile in honest recollection. Though it features a buoyant score by Jason Robert Brown (“Parade,” “The Last Five Years”) and a book by Dan Elish and Robert Horn that dances friskily on the borders of bad taste, “13” ultimately feels as pre-processed and formulaic as that money-churning Disney franchise “High School Musical.” "

Updated On: 10/5/08 at 10:17 PM

bschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
#68re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 10:17pm

What do you mean they don't make fun of the crippled kid? Did they take out the whole number that is about using him to get what the lead character wants? My jaw dropped to the floor when that number came on.

"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski

BustopherPhantom
#69re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 10:20pm

What do you mean they don't make fun of the crippled kid? Did they take out the whole number that is about using him to get what the lead character wants?

Didn't someone say they got rid of that?

BOARD: Nope.

Oh. Sorry about that re: 13 Reviews.

WHAT THE ****?!?! My jaw dropped when I heard that song, too! Especially the "Except for you / Because you're Jewish / And you always complain!"

That's right, kids! THE JEWS CANNOT BE TRUSTED!!!

Updated On: 10/5/08 at 10:20 PM

jagfkb
#70re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 10:24pm

So, what exactly is Brantley's review? I'd call it mixed, but what do I know?

BustopherPhantom
#71re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 10:25pm

By the way, Ben Brantley of the New York Times is Mixed-to-Negative.

Updated On: 10/5/08 at 10:25 PM

Yankeefan007
#72re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 10:26pm

That's not a negative review. It's certainly not a money review, but it's not negative.

It's more like a perfunctory shrug of the shoulders. Nothing special, but not GLORY DAYS.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#73re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 10:28pm

EatLasagna, I wouldn't exactly call these reviews positive. With a couple of exceptions they are decidedly mixed.

bschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
#74re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 10:29pm

The show I thought has some fun songs, but for the most part I was not thrilled with the show. I loved the girl who played Patrice, she appeared to have the only character with a spine in the show. I guess I was hoping for something more, but the show was quite shocking at times, and totally unfunny in many places. My favorite songs were the rumor song, and the sort of barber shop quartet number with the jock's side kicks. Those showed flashes of brilliance and what the show could have been. I was left unamused for most of it.

"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski

Videos