News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

13 Reviews

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#100re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/6/08 at 12:52am

But are there enough 13 year old fans with enough parents willing to pay 110 dollars per ticket for it to keep it thriving?

WishingOnlyWounds2
#101re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/6/08 at 1:33am

Thriving not so sure, but the students do rush and depending on the parents, sure some will pay $110. Very few shows have audiences that always pay full price.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#102re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/6/08 at 1:45am

Very few shows have audiences that always pay full price.

Yeah...and very few of those survive. People don't get that it isn't the teenagers who buy student rush tickets the ones who keep a show alive. It's the people that shill out the $80-$130 that allow a show to keep running and turn a profit each week. Believe me, a dozen 13 year olds can love it but the show won't turn a profit relying on that dozen kids.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#103re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/6/08 at 1:48am

I know they needed the time to revise/cast/rehearse for the show during the summer, but I really think they could have done better marketing-wise if they opened in summer. Now they have to compete with BE and Shrek for their target audience. It doesn't sound like they have good advance, they really need to do a clever marketing (or book lots of school trips), otherwise I doubt it will last too long (but I don't think the running cost isn't as expensive as ATOTC though).

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#104re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/6/08 at 1:49am

It's true, and I'm sure the producers knew this would happen. They knew they would get mixed reviews and have to face the current economy. They must have known they would face this or they must be silly producers. It was always going to be an uphill climb. I'll be interested to see what they do.

~Steven

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#105re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/6/08 at 1:54am

Or maybe they are just silly producers...

~Steven

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#106re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/6/08 at 2:20am

The Bergen Record is Negative:

'On top of that, many of their lines ring false. There were, as an example, a truckload of Jewish jokes, which were probably older than the ages of the entire cast combined and sounded very strange coming out of the mouths of 13-year-olds.

The novelty of using a teenage band was largely nullified by having them out of sight for most of the evening.

It's rare to have a new musical that is not based on a film or a book. But "13," unfortunately, is only technically original. We've never seen it before, but we've seen it before.'

http://www.northjersey.com/betterliving/stage/30503654.html?c=y&page=2

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

WishingOnlyWounds2
#107re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/6/08 at 2:22am

Not a New York review, they can live without it.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#108re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/6/08 at 4:22am

I saw the final preview on Saturday evening, and I loved it.
It has one of the catchiest scores I've ever heard and seeing those kids doing almost everything from bringing set on to playing in the band, was incredible. All the kids have incredible voices and just were wonderful: I loved Corey! He was fantastic.

I loved it and so did the entire audience I was with. It was pretty full, not sure how much was comp or not. All the kids around me seemed to really love it and they all were planning returns in the future, as am I.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 10/6/08 at 04:22 AM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#109re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/6/08 at 5:55am

WishingOnlyWounds2 ive not seen the show so cant comment (just heard the Cast Recording), but you need to listen to what people say.
Whilst im glad it's got some good reviews the people on here are correct, this show was struggling during previews and no one is really talking about it, i dont think the reviews will have any impact one way or another.

And yes i know it has its fans, but im a fan of Carrie and Good Vibrations and look how they turned out

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

BustopherPhantom
#110re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/6/08 at 8:34am

The Daily News gives the show 2 Stars out of 5

'As is, the score by Jason Robert Brown ("Parade") is pleasant enough, tripping from pop and Carly Simon-ish ballads to blues. While short on character development, Brown's lyrics do manage to evoke teen-speak, as when boys lament that their buddy "fell for a slut with a fabulous butt."

Director Jeremy Sams creates some clever moments, including an amusing scene in a movie theater where the kids watch a horror flick. The pubescent crowd may find this new musical fascinating — but Mom and Dad will be left thinking about 13 better ways they could have spent their ticket dollars.'

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/arts/2008/10/06/2008-10-06_13_teen_musicals_days_are_numbered.html

The New York Post (with Barbara Hoffman reviewing) gives the show 3 Stars out of 4:

'I can't remember the last Broadway musical with a big Torah number. Then again, I can't re member a leading man six years shy of legal drinking age.

All that (and more) adds up to "13," the disarmingly charming new musical that opened last night.'

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10062008/entertainment/theater/musical_mazel_tov_for_heartland_teens_132389.htm

The Philadelphia Inquirer is a Rave:

'The new musical called 13 is every bit as sweet as your first kiss. And maybe even as memorable.

It opened last night on a Broadway stage filled with teenagers - both the 13-member cast and the accompanying musicians range in age from 12 to 16. And by the time its 90 minutes pass, a child shall lead them has a fresh theatrical meaning.'

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/arts/20081006__13___A_sweet_show_by_and_about_kids.html

Newsday is Mixed-to-Positive:

'Imagine "Grease" remade as an after-school special and you have "13," the cheerful and endearing, ebulliently performed and blandish musical that stars genuine tweens as fictional tweens as they all grow into their scary new skin.

Think "Middle School Musical" for the window of demographic opportunity between Disney and "Spring Awakening." Raunchier than "Bye Bye Birdie," more sanitized than Buffy, this 90-minute moptop package explores two familiar agonies - pre-pubescence and kid-in-a-new school - with smart-enough lyrics and canny-enough pop-rock pastiche and, despite a general lack of meanness, a bizarre glee in making fun of the dying crippled kid...'

http://www.newsday.com/services/newspaper/printedition/exploreli/ny-etent5871879oct06,0,890060.story

The Hartford Courant is Mixed-to-Negative:

'...Brown's songs, a mix of rock and pop ballads, give the intermissionless production some momentum as it shifts from a vista of toy town to a bland school hallway, in the design of David Farley, who also dressed the kids.

Yet for all the enthusiasm of the ensemble, "13" seems to be going nowhere fast.'

http://www.courant.com/entertainment/stage/reviews/hc-13rev.artoct07,0,1430666.story

John Simon is Negative:

'As for the tunes, which luckily for Brown I cannot quote, let me say only that they are entirely worthy of the lyrics. That leaves the book by Dan Elish and Robert Horn, among whose credits are a kiddie show ("The Worldwide Dessert Contest") and a Disney animation "Wild Life."

Manifestly, the driving force behind "13" was the (undeserved) success of Disney's "High School Musical!" franchise and the assumption that something similar could be achieved with a middle-school musical. I wouldn't be surprised if "13" could progress from middle school to middle school to middle school.'

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601088&sid=aQUtGOUqqE_Q

The Hollywood Reporter is Mixed-to-Positive:

'While not exactly sophisticated enough to stand as adult entertainment, "13" works more than well enough on its own terms and should well please its target audience. Brown's pop-rock score is bouncy and fun, and is performed in exuberant fashion by the youthful cast. Indeed, the ensemble is highly impressive, putting over the material with precocious professionalism and -- presumably thanks to the steady hand of director Jeremy Sams -- avoiding the show-offy, "look at me" syndrome so endemic to younger performers.

Only at the evening's end, during the musical number performed at the curtain call, do they seem to be showing off. But there's no denying that by then they've earned the right.'

http://www.reuters.com/article/artsNews/idUSTRE4963BJ20081007

-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum
Updated On: 10/7/08 at 08:34 AM

shesamarshmallow
#111re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/6/08 at 8:36am

It's the people that shill out the $80-$130 that allow a show to keep running and turn a profit each week.

I thought the whole point of the rising ticket prices was that producers could still attempt to sell out a house at near-half price and break even. Isn't that the argument against TKTS, that's it's actually driving up ticket prices?

I'm fairly pleased this morning. Yay! I can't wait to go back.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

Ed_Mottershead
#112re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/6/08 at 9:01am

For the most part, the reviews were surprisingly good. I'm not sure that I'm going to dash out to get a ticket, but at least I won't be avoiding it like the plague and may be able to squeeze it in as second show of the day.

BroadwayEd

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#113re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/6/08 at 9:08am

If my school hadn't imposed a rule against us taking trips to theater because "they're not closely enough attached to the curriculum," this would have been my first choice show to take my 7th and 8th graders to this year (I've taken groups of kids every year for the last 6 years to at least one, sometimes two shows a year). But, due to the economy and a dictatorial superintendant, my students won't get their trip this year(and I've already had several disappointed kids on this one). If this is happening elsewhere, then there goes a lot of ticket sales.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

basketcase
#114re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/6/08 at 3:48pm

I'm actually a little surprised that people were so offended by the "because you're Jewish and you always complain" line. I saw the show once in previews and again on opening night and both times that line recieved big laughs. I found it hilarious (and I'm Jewish) as did the Jewish friend I was with. Besides, all of Archie's references to his terminal illness are made in good humor. People really need to lighten up.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#115re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/6/08 at 10:44pm

I'm a little late to the party, but I just wanted to say that I agree most with Matthew Murray's review, minus the part about the girl playing Lucy having a future as a JRB-interpreter.

I am really, very shocked to see all of the mixed and positive reviews.

Brantley was quite kind. But I can't help but think that perhaps he wonders if this show could be a gateway to encourage younger audiences to get into Broadway, which could lead to future adult audiences, and the survival of Broadway.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

BustopherPhantom
#116re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/6/08 at 11:34pm

REVIEW ROUNDUP

AM New York
Newark Star-Ledger
Philadelphia Inquirer
Rave

Word of Mouth
Very Positive

New York Post
Positive

Associated Press
Hollywood Reporter
New York 1
Newsday
TheaterMania
USA Today
Mixed-to-Positive

Variety
Mixed

Daily News
Hartford Courant
New York Times
Mixed-to-Negative

Bergen Record
John Simon
Talkin' Broadway
Negative

Updated On: 10/8/08 at 11:34 PM

WishingOnlyWounds2
#117re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/7/08 at 3:14pm

For all those saying they don't have enough publicity...

"13" on MTV News

Updated On: 10/7/08 at 03:14 PM

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#118re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/7/08 at 3:50pm

That's really great for them. I sincerely hope it catches on.

~Steven

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#119re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/8/08 at 6:00pm

http://www.ny1.com/content/ny1_living/theater_reviews/Default.aspx

NY1 is relatively positive.

Torre calls the cast "phenomenally talented...". Wow.

BustopherPhantom
#120re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/8/08 at 6:15pm

Seems more Mixed-to-Positive, but it's still a pretty nice review.

ythcbroadway
#121re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/8/08 at 7:24pm

I love when he says it is now showing on broadway and will run for as long as people go see it =) ha

WishingOnlyWounds2
#122re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/9/08 at 3:05pm

I was listening to the radio in the car today and a "13" commercial came one, they quoted the NY Post.

ythcbroadway
#123re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/9/08 at 3:25pm

There's been a whole lot of negative comments that I've heard, especially from one of the ushers . . .

WishingOnlyWounds2
#124re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/10/08 at 6:59pm

They got their quotes, I'm happy for them.

Notice they got a good one from the NY Times for those doubting it as well as a lot of others places... NY Post, Fox 5, USA Today etc.

13themusical.com

Updated On: 10/10/08 at 06:59 PM

Videos