News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

13 Reviews

theminutepast
#75re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 10:31pm

That was definitely not negative. It was mixed-negative.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#76re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 10:32pm

I would call the New York Times review mixed-positive not mixed-negative, but that may be because I was expecting a total dis and that's not what it is at all.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#77re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 10:32pm

Keep in mind that the NY Times didn't give WICKED that great of reviews, look at that show.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#78re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 10:34pm

WICKED and THIRTEEN are totally different shows. WICKED had a semi-built-in fanbase, was doing well during previews, and had strong word of mouth. THRITEEN has none of those things.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#79re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 10:36pm

13fans.com ...it has a fan base.
The show has changed drastically during previews.
Watch the word of mouth video on 13.

Also none of that stuff has anything to do with the fact that the NY Times didn't give WICKED good reviews, the 13 review is better than the original WICKED one.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot
Updated On: 10/5/08 at 10:36 PM

bythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
#80re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 10:37pm

I thought this show was incredibly entertaining and adorable, and I'm glad it didn't get ripped to pieces.

And hang on, when did you win the discus?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#81re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 10:43pm

All shows have fans. GOOD VIBRATIONS and CRY BABY had fans. And the Word of Mouth panelists gave positive reviews to THE PIRATE QUEEN, THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGIN', HIGH FIDELITY, and a bunch of other shows that got mixed if not scathing reviews and flopped. I don't think they are very credible sources of what the regular theater goer is telling their friends.

ashley0139
#82re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 10:44pm

Can someone link the NYTIMES article? I can't find it.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Josh Freilich
#83re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 10:51pm

I guess the kids are alright after all... :crosses fingers:

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

WishingOnlyWounds2
#84re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 10:57pm

"and a bunch of other shows that got mixed if not scathing reviews and flopped."

But 13 got positive reviews for the most part. Some mixed, but even those had positive parts to it.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#85re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 11:04pm

WICKED is a once-every-20-years kind of Broadway phenom. Seriously, why people always want to use the case of its mixed reviews when defending a new show's mediocre notices is beyond me.

That aside, you could never even beging to compare WICKED - a huge grand scale musical to the small scale 13. That's like comparing LES MIZ to BABY.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#86re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 11:09pm

Have you seen 13 before you go saying stuff about it?

I'm not comparing the two, there totally different. I'm say WICKED being the big phenomenon it is got negative reviews from the NY Times, 13 which not many people have seen is getting mixed reviews from the same newspaper which was not so nice to this huge phenomenon. I'm not saying 13 is better but the fact that the NY times gave it better reviews says something, and I say that as a die hard WICKED fan who just happens to love 13 as well.

jagfkb
#87re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 11:09pm

On the other hand, Billy Elliot IS that sort of phenom, but needless to say, this is turning out to be pretty good. I might also call that review from Brantley mixed to slightly positive, mainly because of the expectations of an all out pan. I'm glad some critics are getting this show.

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#88re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 11:19pm

In addition to what Michael Bennett said, remember that "older people" want to see WICKED because of its relationship to one of the most beloved movies of all time: THE WIZARD OF OZ.

13 has no such connection with anything so iconic. When you think about it, THE WIZARD OF OZ is kind of an anomaly too. Women AND men of all ages love it...even those who are self-professed "musical haters." It has a vast "built-in" audience.

Without a pop-cultural reference like THE WIZARD OF OZ, WICKED may never have exploded the way it has.

Anyway, I haven't seen 13, but I wish it luck.

(AND re: BILLY ELLIOT. Its "record-breaking mass appeal" has yet to be proven.re: 13 Reviews)

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#89re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 11:31pm

I don't think THIRTEEN will last through the year.

A show like this - with no stars, not much buzz, that's pretty modest compared to most of Broadway - needs all the help it can get. "Eh" reviews aren't going to do it: a ticket buyer wants to know that his purchase is going to be worth it, and a show that almost completely cuts off any and all demographics other than the teenager crowd probably isn't going to even get a flame going at the box office, especially with today's economy.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#90re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 11:35pm

If it markets itself wisely, I think it could do all right. Productions of High School Musical are always sell-outs. Of course, that's because of the movies, etc., but hopefully the people behind 13 can think of a way to make it stay open.

~Steven

SporkGoddess
#91re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 11:35pm

Brantley also said people over 13 wouldn't enjoy it...

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#92re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 11:49pm

That review is not mixed-to-positive OR mixed-to-negative. He doesn't really praise anything about it, nor attack anything. It's a 1,200 word shrug of the shoulders.

It's simply 'mixed.'

eatlasagna
#93re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 11:56pm

michael bennett... well i'm just happy the reviews aren't extremely horrible and negative towards the show like how most people here are wishing they would be... they all seemed to be mixed to positive...

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#94re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 11:57pm

Nah, I'd say just mixed is more fair.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#95re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/6/08 at 12:00am

The Newark Star-Ledger is a Rave;

'Giving the impression of being real kids rather than cool professionals, the 13 members of an adorable ensemble jump and gyrate through Christopher Gattelli's exuberant choreography. Along with Gross' endearing portrayal of Archie, Phillips' agreeable Evan and Gillies' tempestuous Lucy are standouts among the leads, abetted by nice bits from Al Calderon and Malik Hammond as giddy sidekicks and Brynn Williams, whose vocals punch up the "Brand New You" finale.

Staged well and with a persuasive sense of spontaneity by director Jeremy Sams, the production benfits from designer David Farley's airy blue-sky settings and brightly hued teen fashions.

Expect nothing fancy from "13" -- just a sincerely good time.'

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/arts/index.ssf/2008/10/13_looks_like_lucky_musical_nu.html

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum
Updated On: 10/7/08 at 12:00 AM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#96re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/6/08 at 12:02am

Yeah, these reviews will not help the already-struggling show survive through the rest of the year... unless the producers are willing to lose money week after week, month after month (much like the TALE OF TWO CITIES producers). I really can't believe the critics are letting Jason Robert Brown get away with writing what I consider one of the most terrible scores heard on Broadway in the past few years.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#97re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/6/08 at 12:26am

HeyMrMusic - there really is no interest in this show from actual teenagers and that is the difference between this and HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL. Now, if perhaps 13 had done some type of television movie before hitting Broadway, then it would be another story. Again, you just can't really compare the two entities.

I don't think 13 will run past the holidays and I say that with no malace.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#98re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/6/08 at 12:32am

Well it seems that the show has gotten mostly mixed reviews. But the marketing team will probably be able to find some good pull quotes, although I agree with Michael Bennett. The show wasn't doing great business before the reviews and these mixed notices probably won't do much to boost the box office.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 10/6/08 at 12:32 AM

WishingOnlyWounds2
#99re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/6/08 at 12:35am

Michael Bennett, I'm a teenager and I show interest in it, 13fans.com is mostly teenagers!

Videos