News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

13 Reviews

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#25re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 5:14pm

"The party is going to be at Chuck E Cheese!!!"

LOL

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

jagfkb
#26re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 5:29pm

Wow, a positive review! Honestly, with this show, I have no clue. I'm going to guess mixed (like title of show mixed, not Wicked mixed) but who knows. It could get slammed by everyone else, or get positive reviews. right now, I have no clue, at all.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#27re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 5:40pm

My beloved Matthew Murray is his usual. See you in hell, brother!

They are undoubtedly doing their best. But those who believe professional theatre, especially at Broadway ticket prices, should be less about their best than the best will not be taken by them or much else in 13. At least for the actors, their age is a defense: They’re still developing, as both people and artists. What excuse can Elish, Brown, and Horn give?

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/world/index.html

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

jake6970
#28re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 5:42pm

He can hate the show, but how can he possibly say only one has a good voice? Apart from the leads, the ending number showcases Ariana Grande and Brynn Williams, both of whom have undeniably good voices.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#29re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 5:45pm

Mr. Murray is the last critic I would take seriously, love.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

jake6970
#30re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 5:50pm

I don't take his reviews seriously, but he should at least give credit where credit is due. Saying only one of the cast members can sing is simply not true.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#31re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 5:51pm

"13 The Musical has a strong Broadway pedigree in Jason Robert Brown, and the recent performance at Broadway on Broadway thrilled the crowd and attracted attention. The show originally opened to positive feedback at Los Angeles' Center Theater Group's Mark Taper Forum in 2007. With a cast made up of entirely teen performers, including those in the on-stage band (similar to the onstage band in Rent), 13 The Musical could strike just the perfect balance between novelty and Broadway savvy."

13 The Musical: The Kids Are Alright

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot
Updated On: 10/5/08 at 05:51 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#32re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 6:01pm

That reads like a feature, not a review.

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#33re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 6:18pm

Yeah, that was NOT a review...

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#34re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 6:24pm

Matthew Murray seems to usually be wrong about everything, but I was still impressed to see him cite my least favorite performer in the show as the only cast member to have first class "potential." I guess some people just confuse the loudest voices with the "best."

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#35re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 7:12pm

AM NY is 4 out of 4 star rave

As complimented by a very cute book and fierce cast, “13” is a fresh, electrifying original musical that will leave you grinning for 90 blissful minutes. We recommend it to anyone who has ever been or will be 13 years old.

http://weblogs.amny.com/entertainment/stage/blog/

SporkGoddess
#36re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 7:13pm

I actually thought that Lucy was the best singer, too. She was the only one on the cast recording who never strained and had a consistent vibrato, anyway. But I didn't see the show live, so maybe she comes across better on the CD.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#37re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 7:14pm

Variety is Mixed:

'In case anyone missed the lesson learned from "High School Musical" and its endlessly multiplying spawn, kids these days are quite comfortable watching their fictional counterparts burst into song to express their feelings. So the target audience for "13" should have no trouble identifying with the characters onstage as they tunefully reflect on friendship, crushes, popularity, acceptance and tongue action. There's not much in this sweet all-adolescent tuner to engage anyone past puberty, but the other lesson of the Disney franchise is that a narrowly defined demographic is no barrier to success.'

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117938615.html?categoryid=33&cs=1

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum
Updated On: 10/5/08 at 07:14 PM

Yankeefan007
#38re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 7:15pm

What else to expect from amNY? Matt Windham is the Kerr of his generation.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#39re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 7:16pm

To be honest, after the reviews, I'm much more curious. I wonder who's reviewing for the Times?

BustopherPhantom
#40re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 7:20pm

'High School Musical,” meet the Middle School Musical: “13.” It’s younger, smarter and hotter than you are.'

I am such an ass: that sounds like something I'd write.

And almost all the other Fall productions are big-event, Brantley-Special jobs: they might want to throw Charles "No Soul" Isherwood something and give him this show.

-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum
Updated On: 10/5/08 at 07:20 PM

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#41re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 7:22pm

Matt Windham loved Grease.... case closed.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#42re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 7:23pm

Isherwood will probably give it a good review.
If so, the Tonys might be a race of young teens this year.

Bustopher, will you keep putting the reviews up? You usually do, but I just wanted to get started.

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#43re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 7:29pm

Brantley was there Thursday, so I assume he's reviewing this one. Historically, he's NOT been a fan of JRB's work...

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

jagfkb
#44re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 7:41pm

The only one actor who I could think of to be nominated from 13 might be Allie Trimm, simply because of her voice, though who knows. Glad to head the reviews are so far good.

jake6970
#45re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 7:42pm

I would love to see Allie get a featured actress nomination.

BustopherPhantom
#46re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 7:45pm

TheaterMania is Mixed-to-Positive:

'Sometimes the best comment to be made about shows such as 13 the Musical, now at Broadway's Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre, is that they provide an opportunity for multi-talented youngsters to show off. That's certainly what the 13 talented adolescents (plus an onstage band) do collectively and individually in Jeremy Sams' production of the Jason Robert Brown-Dan Elish-Robert Horn tuner.

Without question, the 90-minute intermissionless musical -- which has changed considerably since its 2006 Los Angeles debut (in which Horn did not participate) -- undeniably looks and sounds lively. Nevertheless, it may also impress some patrons as little more than a bald-faced attempt to cash in on the High School Musical phenomenon...'

http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/15605

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#47re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 7:52pm

I wonder how many reviewers will mention High School Musical? Should we play a drinking game?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#48re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 7:54pm

Whatever it is, the reviews are giving the production team really great quotes.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#49re: 13 Reviews
Posted: 10/5/08 at 7:58pm

There are some good things in this show... it's very tuneful, shows off young talent, and it appeals to the tween generation. The reviews it's getting are honest and true, and the producers should be happy with them. Now go make a commercial and put it on the Disney Channel or something.

~Steven

Videos