News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24
Posted: 8/20/24 at 1:00pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 8/18/2024 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS (1%), SUFFS (0.7%), THE WIZ (0.6%), & JULIET (0.3%), CABARET AT THE KIT KAT CLUB (0.2%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (0.2%), WATER FOR ELEPHANTS (0.2%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (-12.7%), JOB (-7.8%), SIX (-7.7%), THE NOTEBOOK (-6%), HAMILTON (-5.4%), BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE MUSICAL (-4%), THE GREAT GATSBY (-4%), THE LION KING (-3.1%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-2.4%), WICKED (-2.3%), ALADDIN (-1%), HELL'S KITCHEN (-0.9%), HADESTOWN (-0.6%), CHICAGO (-0.4%), MJ THE MUSICAL (-0.4%), STEREOPHONIC (-0.3%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24
Posted: 8/20/24 at 1:03pm

Wiz did so well in its limited run that next week’s overall box office numbers may take a sizable hit. Excellent final week.

It’s so weird seeing Hamilton play to just 93% capacity audiences… and that’s a bad week over at SIX, too. 

Oh look, a bibu!

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24
Posted: 8/20/24 at 1:09pm

Hot damn, those Wiz numbers are impressive. Still very surprised they didn't try to cram in just a few more weeks but hey, go out with a bang.

I anticipate a Notebook closing announcement any day now. Could they be trying to get through Broadway week and close up on September 15?

I guess Water for Elephants and Suffs are making a run for it. Hard to say for how much longer though. I think Suffs can definitely make it through to the end of the year but they REALLY need to beef up their marketing. I don't see signs of this show anywhere.

hearthemsing22
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24
Posted: 8/20/24 at 1:16pm

I do think those predicting a Notebook closure are correct. Is it possible Six could be packing it in either by the end of the year or early in 2025? It may be a cheap show to run but last weeks grosses- yikes! 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24
Posted: 8/20/24 at 1:25pm

Seems pretty clear that the following will all be gone by January (if not sooner) --

• Back to the Future
  • Notebook
  • Suffs
  • WFE
  • Stereo (as scheduled)

If JULIET is going to start "stunt" casting they'd better get on that sooner than later.

HAMILTON is not doing badly by any means and it will obviously be around for years to come. But its grosses have certainly softened a lot over the past decade, especially after the pandemic. When HAMILTON eventually closes, WICKED and LION KING will probably still be going strong.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
    Broadway Flash
    #6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24
    Posted: 8/20/24 at 1:29pm

I think back to the future will still be running well into next year.  The notebook and water for elephants are going down quickly.  

pablitonizer
    #7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24
    Posted: 8/20/24 at 1:52pm

Interesting how quickly The Notebook lost steam after opening. The show most likely will be posting their closing notice pretty soon. I still remember some people saying it'd be the musical of 2024 lol

W4E is pretty expensive to run as some users noted a few weeks ago so I don't think those numbers are what they need to keep it running. They'll be closing soon imo. Suffs still has a chance to pick up but I don't see it improving that much. We'll see if it's still open by election day.

Kudos to The Wiz, impressive numbers!

gibsons2
    #8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24
    Posted: 8/20/24 at 1:58pm

I'm wondering if The Outsiders would've benefitted from a bigger theater. They seem to play at full capacity and then some. 

Updated On: 8/20/24 at 01:58 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling
    #9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24
    Posted: 8/20/24 at 2:04pm

gibsons2 said: "I' wondering if The Outsiders would've benefitted from a bigger theater. They seem to play at full capacity and then some."

The belief of a lot of producers nowadays is it's better to fill every seat in a smaller theater and thus create a tight ticket + higher prices, rather than playing somewhere like The Shubert and trying to fill the balcony at $35. The same convos were had about COME FROM AWAY and EVAN HANSEN and HAMILTON when they were doing well.

The costs to move houses are also impractical when a show is doing just fine its its current house. High numbers don't last forever.

When it tours, they'll play bigger houses and the production will earn more money.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
    ACL2006
    #10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24
    Posted: 8/20/24 at 2:07pm

gibsons2 said: "I' wondering if The Outsiders would've benefitted from a bigger theater. They seem to play at full capacity and then some."

Let's not jump to conclusions here. It won The Tony for Best Musical and is the first winner to become a hit since Moulin Rouge. Let's see if they're still selling out come September. Also, have to remind everyone that there's just 24 shows playing on Broadway currently with 17 empty theaters now. Most of these theaters won't have a tenant until October or November.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

RippedMan Profile Photo
    RippedMan
    #11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24
    Posted: 8/20/24 at 2:28pm

Glad "Oh, Mary" continues to make $$

GottaGetAGimmick420
    #12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24
    Posted: 8/20/24 at 2:54pm

Lowkey surprised Suffs couldn't make a pop up performance or even "livestream from a cast member visiting" the DNC or something. Especially after Hillary made the references last night. That would be gold for the show.

I'm just here so I don't get fined

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
    TotallyEffed
    #13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24
    Posted: 8/20/24 at 3:00pm

Am I way too on the internet for wondering if JK Rowling’s relentless bullying is starting to affect the Cursed Child audience, especially this week?

hearthemsing22
    #14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24
    Posted: 8/20/24 at 3:11pm

TotallyEffed said: "Am I way too on the internet for wondering if JK Rowling’s relentless bullying is starting to affect the Cursed Child audience, especially this week?"

I think if that is impacting the show, it's on a very low level? It's also been running for a while now. It could just be losing steam 

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
    AKarp2013
    #15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24
    Posted: 8/20/24 at 3:26pm

I do wonder if we will see Back to the Future post a closing notice sometime after Labor Day. I thought the summer would be a juggernaut for them. But the demand isn't as strong as it had been and I'm sure the producers see the real money being made on tour, its continued success in London, and future international productions. Could they announce a January closing, getting a holiday season boost, opening up the Winter Garden for the Spring?

Phantom4ever
    #16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24
    Posted: 8/20/24 at 3:29pm

I know it's still doing well and not going anywhere forever, but to see Hamilton only sell 93% of it seats  sure is shocking. It seems like just yesterday people were paying others to wait for days on the sidewalk for the chance at cancelled tickets. I wonder what the demand would be if it weren't for the pandemic and the Disney + release--and which one did more damage to Hamilton's Broadway sales. 

OppositeBarracuda91
    #17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24
    Posted: 8/20/24 at 3:39pm

Saw this posted on Reddit and thought it was an interesting question. Oh Mary!'s average ticket price for the week is $147 which feels low to me as someone who doesn't know much about Broadway financials. It's not on TKTS, I assume some lottery seats, rush as well. Taking a look at tickets online, the entire orchestra section is $220-350, and the entire mezzanine section is $139-350 (incl. fees) which its been for sometime. Some Balcony seats below $100 but those along with rush / lottery don't feel like they're enough to bring the average ticket price down to $147 given its 100% capacity. Where are all these below average tickets coming from?

ErmengardeStopSniveling
    #18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24
    Posted: 8/20/24 at 3:52pm

A $147 average is plenty high and tickets can rise (or fall) at any point. I'm guessing they currently cost more to buy than what they were priced at when it first went on sale.

LuckyDipster Profile Photo
    LuckyDipster
    #19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24
    Posted: 8/20/24 at 4:08pm

AKarp2013 said: "I do wonder if we will see Back to the Future post a closing notice sometime after Labor Day. Could they announce a January closing, getting a holiday season boost, opening up the Winter Garden for the Spring?"

I have a holiday booked for early January, specifically to see BTTF again so I'm really hoping they can hold out 'til then.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
    #20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24
    Posted: 8/20/24 at 4:37pm

BTTF costs so much and if it starts losing money, there's not much incentive to try to extend its Broadway run for prestige purposes. If it closes in January, that's still an incredibly solid 18-month run.

The most money will be made on the road and with international companies.

Kad Profile Photo
    Kad
    #21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24
    Posted: 8/20/24 at 8:36pm

Oh, Mary! has got to have one of the best profit margins on Broadway right now- a small production with no big names that has been consistently grossing over $1 mil weekly. It's grossing higher than most of the musicals yet probably has half the expense or even less.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
    AKarp2013
    #22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24
    Posted: 8/20/24 at 9:53pm

I know Oh, Mary has already extended into November, but I'd say the chances are high they extend into 2025. Maybe even easily recoup before then? What are the chances of them making it an open run?

ErmengardeStopSniveling
    #23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24
    Posted: 8/20/24 at 11:35pm

AKarp2013 said: "I know Oh, Mary hasalready extended into November, but I'd say the chances are high they extend into 2025. Maybe even easily recoup before then? What are the chances of them making it an open run?"

Lots of unknowns.

We don't know if Shubert is eyeing another tenant for the Lyceum in the spring.

By the end of the year, its numbers could be softening and closing might be better than limping through the spring.

If Cole has other opportunities or wants to leave, they could be replaced and many actors could play this role well, but I think a lot of star actors would feel incredibly daunted to follow directly in Cole's footsteps. We've seen this in shows where the author DIDN'T also write it themself; this just makes it more daunting.

As for recoupment, I'd be shocked if it doesn't make its money back by like October.

Updated On: 8/20/24 at 11:35 PM

PipingHotPiccolo
    #24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24
    Posted: 8/21/24 at 12:06am

TotallyEffed said: "Am I way too on the internet for wondering if JK Rowling’s relentless bullying is starting to affect the Cursed Child audience, especially this week?"

You're too on the internet (I am too, its not a criticism). The universe of people who were going to see a Harry Potter show but are now too angry about JK Rowling's ongoing descent into ugliness--is a tiny one. 

ScottK
    #25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/18/24
    Posted: 8/21/24 at 12:11am

As for the recoupment of OH MARY!, I would hope they would recoup by Sept 15th--since that was the original closing date. And, Im assuming the financials sent to potential investors had proposed recoupment by closing date. As for running costs, it is not likely to be half of musicals, but probably closer to two-thirds. Long may they reign!

Videos