News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14- Page 2

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/1/14 at 8:31pm

Have you noticed many of the big sellers have been putting up huge numbers without selling out? That's been part of the issue with new shows not gaining momentum they can't even count on picking up some run off from the popular hits, you can always get a ticket for a popular show - at a price - but a seat can be had so why take a chance on something new? Too much inventory is not a good thing sometimes.

Up In One

RW3
#26Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/1/14 at 8:47pm

I really want SideShow to do well, but these numbers don't look good. Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#27Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/1/14 at 8:56pm

Ship, SS and OTT may not last past the 1st of the new year unfortunately as tourists are just not interested in seeing these shows!
Even though Honeymoon has not opened as it's in previews but WOW would have thought the name alone would at least interest people but unfortunately not as the box office is terrible.
What's happening...too much inventory?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#28Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/1/14 at 9:06pm

Last Ship will make it until the 10th, which is how long Sting is in it...

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#29Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/1/14 at 9:11pm

Yes box office should pickup with STING but babye when he leaves it then the Ship sinks.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#30Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/1/14 at 9:22pm

ON THE TOWN is making money right now. Yet their capacity is terrible. They should really consider closing off the 2nd balcony and adjusting their ticket prices for the rear orchestra & mezzanine. Right now all seats in the orchestra & mezz are $147!!!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#31Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/1/14 at 11:30pm

"That's been part of the issue with new shows not gaining momentum they can't even count on picking up some run off from the popular hits, you can always get a ticket for a popular show - at a price - but a seat can be had so why take a chance on something new?"

Just curious then how you explain why The River, Elephant Man, Curious Incident and It's Only a Play are doing so well. People seem to be having no problem taking a chance on them even though they are new.

The answer of course, is if you give people a story, music or a star (ideally all 3) they really want to see, they will come. If you insist on bringing back a show that even with some tweaking, good reviews and the fact that it's a BWW darling, the general public has for the most part already told you they are not that interested in seeing, then be disappointed when it draws poorly but don't be surprised. And yet another 20-30 year old, mostly forgotten movie made into a musical headlined by a guy whose popularity peaked in the late 1980's? How could that not be a smash?

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#32Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 12:23am

---

When you give away the reason why a statement *might* be humerous....it really deflates the joke and/or the attempt at acerbic humor.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#33Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 12:24am

I'm going to pretend that Ms NeNe Leakes has EVERYTHING to do with those numbers.

Nice holiday bump for IF/THEN! I just hope it lasts through everyones contract...

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#34Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 12:36am

"When you give away the reason why a statement *might* be humerous....it really deflates the joke and/or the attempt at acerbic humor."

If that was for me, I wasn't trying to say anything humorous. I was just saying a previous posters prediction it wouldn't close before Sting's run was incorrect.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#35Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 1:00am

Holy crap, The Illusionists did better than more than half of the shows on Broadway could dream of! How?? I didn't even know if began previews, yet here it is, with those numbers none the less!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#36Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 1:06am

Holy crap, The Illusionists did better than more than half of the shows on Broadway could dream of! How?? I didn't even know if began previews, yet here it is, with those numbers none the less!

Right!?
Well, TOURISTS...that's what they want to see and all the hotel concierges and ticket agents are promoting the hell out of it!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#37Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 1:09am

I love magic shows, but I wasn't expecting The Illusionists to do so well out of the gate, so I kept checking the website to see if any good tickets would open up, or if the premiums would convert to regular, etc., and instead of converting to regular, the premiums just kept disappearing.... crazy.

Updated On: 12/2/14 at 01:09 AM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#38Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 1:12am

If Side Show closes on January 4, the day the Hilton Sisters died and the same day the original closed, I suggest the next revival open in the spring!
--------------------
Producers & Creatives take note but lets hope things turn around for SS so start marketing to those tourists and find an audience for this show!!!

Updated On: 12/2/14 at 01:12 AM

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#39Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 2:56am

Bob's doing some truth telling in this thread.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#40Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 3:15am

The Illusionists uses non-equity dancers. strange.

LightsOut90
#41Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 6:39am

Im still baffled that I've yet to see a single ad for Side Show during American Horror Story: Freak Show, seems like a no brainer....

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#42Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 7:29am

It's beyond a stretch to say that someone putting down money to see Bradley Cooper in "The Elephant Man" a move star in a 35 year old hit play, or Nathan, Matthew, Stockard, et al in "It's Only a Play" are 'taking chances.'

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 12/2/14 at 07:29 AM

neonlightsxo
#43Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 9:21am

Sting has brought in significant advance sales already, which can make up for these bad weeks. Don't count them out yet.

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#44Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 9:22am

I don't understand how If/Then can be down almost 7% but up over 100K - is that red supposed to be black?

neonlightsxo
#45Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 9:24am

^ The 7% is the attendance number. There were 7% fewer people but they paid more.

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#46Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 9:45am

Ahh, thanks! I guess the difference is maybe the comped tickets for when Idina was out the prior week?

neonlightsxo
#47Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 9:54am

That's certainly part of it, but the gross jump is significant-- mostly because these tickets were probably bought in advance by out of towners for the holiday week who paid more than the TDF and similar discounts.

Eta: Just looked again. This week's avg ticket price for If/Then was $95, compared to $70 the prior week

Updated On: 12/2/14 at 09:54 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#48Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 9:56am

"The Illusionists uses non-equity dancers. strange."

Not really. The show would almost certainly not fall under Equity jurisdiction. They're probably AGVA/AGMA, like at Radio City.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Eurotrash Profile Photo
Eurotrash
#49Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 10:14am

If they're not making money then they're the wrong shows, in the wrong places, at the wrong prices.

Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you... he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for really, have you?

Videos