News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14- Page 3

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14

neonlightsxo
#50Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 10:42am

^ Is that directed to someone in particular?

rjm516
#51Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 10:48am

I'm visiting in January and have space for 4 shows, but have 5 I really want to see and have to choose from/cross one off (Hedwig, Side Show, Last Ship, Honeymoon in Vegas, On the Town). I REALLY hope my decision isn't made for me by one (or more!) closing beforehand. So sad for the struggling shows.

Broadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
#52Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 10:58am

rjm, I'm hoping all shows you listed are still running in January. Unlike some people on this board I don't like to see ANY show close. That means a lot of theater people out of jobs and being a huge supporter of the arts I hate to see that happen. If I had to cross one of those shows off the list it would probably be Hedwig. I saw the original and that will remain with me.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#53Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 11:05am

"Unlike some people on this board I don't like to see ANY show close."

So, which theater season would you have frozen forever that would still be playing with no other theater availability? Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14

As for January, two of your shows have interesting casting variables, that depend on your dates:
- The Last Ship with Sting, or post-Sting?
- Hedwig with MCH or JCM?

rjm516
#54Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 11:14am

I'd be there during MCH time and Sting time actually! Disappointed to not see JCM but I did always want to see MCH in this role. (I did see NPH so I feel like I'm not supposed to see it again if there are new shows to see, but still!)

Sorry to derail. Christmas usually boosts all shows across the board, right? Or is that what they thought Thanksgiving would do as well, and it didn't?

Broadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
#55Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 11:25am

haterobics, you know what I mean Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14 Some people on here seem to root for shows to close. I like to see shows have a nice run and everyone involved benefit by the time closing rolls around.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#56Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 4:05pm

^^ Sometimes I am just baffled by producers sinking money into failing shows. I root for humans to overcome the sunk cost fallacy.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#57Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 4:38pm

Im still baffled that I've yet to see a single ad for Side Show during American Horror Story: Freak Show, seems like a no brainer....

---
Lightsout, I said the same thing weeks ago.
Why aren't the producers & creatives of SIDE SHOW doing something to target market their audience at least a part(AHS:FS) most importantly they need the TOURISTS to want to see this show!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#58Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 5:00pm

"Some people on here seem to root for shows to close."

They have to, otherwise how could they keep speculating on where The Visit will end up? Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#59Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 5:07pm

"Some people on here seem to root for shows to close."
They have to, otherwise how could they keep speculating on where The Visit will end up?

---
Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14 Hater HA
at least we know it's going into a Shubert House but which is the big question: Imperial, Longacre, Belasco or the Lyceum.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#60Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 5:11pm

never mind the Belasco... I'm perfectly happy with the current tenants...

cglaid Profile Photo
cglaid
#61Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 8:55pm

Maybe if shows lowered their prices, they'd get more butts in their seats. Isn't selling a ticket for $50 better than selling it for nothing at all? Why not create a community of your own people (NYers or people with easy access to NYC) who would be more willing to see shows (even if they suck) because they're not paying an absolute fortune? I think what they're charging is disgusting. When I lived in Manhattan, I saw absolutely anything I could get under a $40 ticket to - on, off, off-off, in a basement, etc. I'll be damned to ever pay $150 for ONE ticket. I can't imagine having to pay for a family to see a show. It's awful.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#62Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14
Posted: 12/2/14 at 9:20pm

"Isn't selling a ticket for $50 better than selling it for nothing at all?"

You're creating an example that doesn't exist. If a show isn't selling, it has tickets on TDF for $45, it can expand $35 rush seats to include more seats, lotteries can offer non-winners "lottery loser" seats for $50, not to mention TodayTix opening up non prime-orchestra seats for regular discounts. So, I'm not sure where you think people are leaving half a theater empty because they won't reduce prices.

All of those things are different from changing the ticket price to be $50, which to be fair, at that price and the current cost of shows, it would take forever (and be highly unlikely) for a show to ever recoup. Which means no one would want to invest in them...

"I'll be damned to ever pay $150 for ONE ticket."

Unless there's an all-star cast and/or a limited run, all shows will have discounted tickets eventually. You'll just have to wait... I mean, Book of Mormon will have $89 orchestra seats in some future year...

Videos