News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite- Page 2

BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite

PegasusOasis
#25BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 9:39am

Where are good places to use the bathroom near the flea? Thanks 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#26BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 9:52am

PegasusOasis said: "Where are good places to use the bathroom near the flea? Thanks"

Marriott Marquis Hotel. Walk in with confidence, don't ask any staff where to go, proceed to the elevators, and go up to the 8th floor.

Updated On: 9/22/24 at 09:52 AM

OhHiii
#27BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 10:14am

Is the Marquis bathroom still unlocked when there isn't a show running currently? I've tried this and some times you need a room key.

cjmclaughlin10
#28BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 10:58am

I’m having buyers remorse on my purchase of a Majestic exit sign 

if anyone is in the are and wants it the price is negotiable. 631-525-6371

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#29BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 11:02am

PianoMann said: "If anyone comes across a cast-signed Shuffle Along window card and doesn’t want it for themselves, I’d love to buy it from you."

Adding to this cast-signed Gary and Jeremy Strong Enemy of the People window cards, if anyone sees them please DM. Thanks!

Listener
#30BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 11:22am

I'm hoping someone finds a Follies 2011 windowcard or poster (Bernadette Peters, Jane Houdyshell, etc.) and helps me out! Couldn't get there myself today.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#31BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 11:34am

Listener said: "I'm hoping someone finds a Follies 2011 windowcard or poster (Bernadette Peters, Jane Houdyshell, etc.) and helps me out!Couldn't get there myself today."

I’m sure this will be more expensive than a flea market find, but you can order a reproduction of the poster from Triton Gallery if you strike out today.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#32BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 11:51am

Prices are even stupider than they normally are, which I knew would happen. 

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#33BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 12:20pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Prices are even stupider than they normally are, which I knew would happen."

That's a shame. I know it's going to a good cause, but they would sell more at fairer prices.

I am unfortunately not there this year. I injured my hand last week and didn't feel like fighting crowds, and potentially ripping out stitches. Hope everyone has fun today though.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#34BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 3:37pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Prices are even stupider than they normally are, which I knew would happen."

I always carry cash and negotiate price. If you make an offer  that’s not obscenely low (like $1 for a $20 item), they will work with you sometimes. 

Whatever they don’t sell ends up back at the theatre or in the trash, so depending on the table, they will take the money happily.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#35BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 3:57pm

wiped! finished my morning rounds, my favorite finds were the Jordan Fisher meet and greet/signing for $50 at Hadestown table around 1:15, the Outsiders cast shenanigans at their table at 12, and the mint Capezio tap shoes at $20 at curtain call! I have a full suitcase already. I'm glad to have finally found some Bad Cinderella stuff and a blank Gutenburg hat! The prices felt high this year, but it's for charity so maybe I'll try writing it off on taxes, itemized. Are we able to do that? Another great year!

BETTY22
#36BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 4:07pm

Just got home from an amazing day.....everyone is so friendly and i bought 3/4 great treasures. 

BCEFA is a wonderful organization that i am proud to support 

Tenor8674
#37BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 5:26pm

It was mobbed today. Left after about a half an hour. And some of the prices on some of the merch was insane. 

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#38BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 6:02pm

Easily the worst experience I've had in the 10 years I've been going. Was there before 10:00. Couldn't even get to the tables to look because of the crowds and not being willing to shove my way in like everyone else.

Sentiment on Twitter seems much the same in re: overwhelming and stressful/not fun. I know costs drive what they're able to do, but I wish the city or a facility could work with them to either 1) let them close a street fully or 2) give them an indoor space to do this in.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#39BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 7:03pm

We lasted about a half hour. Decided to bail and go get lunch after we couldn't even get close some of the tables. It looked even worse as 2pm matinee time approached.

What a mess.

Something's gotta change.

Cut the number of tables in half? Take over BOTH sides of 44th and 45th (I assume the current setup has something to do with emergency vehicles)? Take up one side of 3-4 blocks? Do it on Columbus Day (a Monday) so they're not running into matinee crowds? Putting the auction entirely online and getting rid of the autograph sessions might help? idk how much money the latter generates.

Updated On: 9/22/24 at 07:03 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#40BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 7:07pm

OhHiii said: "Is the Marquis bathroom still unlocked when there isn't a show running currently? I've tried this and some times you need a room key."

The bathrooms I'm thinking of are accessible by elevator, not escalator, and they're not on the level of the theatre. It is the hotel conference center and usually you can get up without a room key. There's a bar and coffee shop and a bunch of plush chairs & tables. I think it's the 8th floor, maybe not.

Jordan Catalano
#41BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 7:16pm

One of the biggest problems on 45th st is that half OR MORE of the sidewalk (the only access you have the the tables) is roped off by shows to allow for lines into the theaters, so for an already crowded environment that just makes it fkn unbearable.

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#42BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 7:32pm

Jordan Catalano said: "One of the biggest problems on 45th st is that half OR MORE of the sidewalk (the only access you have the the tables) is roped off by shows to allow for lines into the theaters."

Can I also add on that 45th was made OBNOXIOUS by The Outsiders fans? People were just standing and waiting for the cast, and there was their rush line until noon, and when the cast arrived it was impossible to escape, and I'm all for youth crowds (I'm one of the youth!) but there had to be a better way to route that. They need to make it a street fair and shut down a full street, both sides.

I didn't find the pushing and shoving to be terrible, but I came unusually prepared because I've been going since 2017. Also, I hope our elderly neighbors were kept safe, people with canes seemed to have no room at times or even abandon them. Also, to the guy who hit me repeatedly with your baby's stroller until I glared at you, I hope neither you nor your baby found anything you were looking for, you were rude and the kid was disruptive for the time I saw you. 

Jordan Catalano
#43BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 7:36pm

You bring up another good point. Putting “Outsiders” next to “Hadestown” next to “Suffs” made tbst ENTIRE stretch of the street unmanageable because of the crowds. They need to have those tables towards one of the street, not in the middle anywhere. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#44BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 7:54pm

They’re eating Cats: The Jellicle Ball! They’re eating Snoopy (as played by Roger Bart)! They're eating the Playbills of the people that live there, and this is what’s happening in our theatre district. They’re doing transgender operations on the illegal aliens from Rocky Horror and leaving an Angry Inch!

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#45BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 8:03pm

Honestly I had fun. Got 7 playbills for under $15. Original casts of Cats, Color Purple (and a Fantasia one), 42nd (Original and Revival), Elain Stritch at Liberty, Guys and Dolls flop revival from 2009.

VintageSnarker
#46BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 8:14pm

I went later in the day (probably 2-4pm). I think some of the tables were winding down already but based on the prices ($10-$15 for t-shirts, mugs, and water bottles) I don't think I would have bought much if I'd gone earlier anyway.

I spent less than $30 this year. I think it was ATPAM that had some cute Disney shirts and I got some late in the day deals at Curtain Call, Roundabout, and Rockers on Broadway. For the stuff I didn't buy, I was most tempted by the Suffs merch (I wanted to just buy Shaina's CD but they kept saying it was a gift with purchase and I would have gotten In the Green if it had been unsigned... and likely cheaper), the $10 Titanique button pins, and all the cute stickers at Coloring Broadway (still 4 for $10 at the end of the day).

I'm curious what was available for Curtain Call, Once Upon a Mattress, Little Shop, Titanique, and Maybe Happy Ending/Water For Elephants earlier in the day. The Met Opera table still seemed pretty full at the end of the day. Did they have anything besides the water bottles, notebook, CDs, windowcards, and bookmarks?

chrishuyen
#47BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 8:23pm

I found around 3-5pm to be a sweet spot for me, though I'm mostly looking for playbills and not any of the special items.  Crowds were better once the shows on 45 started (and before stage dooring happened after shows), and I think the morning rush had left, while some tables were already starting to do deals.

What bothers me the most is that they advertise that the flea runs until 7pm but many tables start packing up around 5.  I'd understand if some tables want to leave early but at 6pm there were Broadway Flea workers that told people they were shutting it down and nothing else could be purchased.  Why put on the website that it runs til 7 then?  

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#48BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 8:39pm

chrishuyen said: "I found around 3-5pm to be a sweet spot for me, though I'm mostly looking for playbills and not any of the special items. Crowds were better once the shows on 45 started (and before stage dooring happened after shows), and I think the morning rush had left, while some tables were already starting to do deals.

What bothers me the most is that they advertise that the flea runs until 7pm but many tables start packing up around 5. I'd understand if some tables want to leave early but at 6pm there were Broadway Flea workers that told people they were shutting it down and nothing else could be purchased. Why put on the website that it runs til 7 then?
"

I think they say 7 because of the live auction. Everything else has shut down, but that starts at 5, I believe.

I remember when it used to just be on 44th & Shubert Alley. Not just for crowd, but having traffic behind a barricade makes me nervous. It takes 1 bad driver to make a mess of things if they hit one.

And to those suggesting an indoor space clearly did not go to the 2009 flea market in the Roseland Ballroom. 

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Jordan Catalano
#49BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 8:47pm

They need to have a monument set up where Roseland was, to honor those of us who survived that day. 

Videos