News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite- Page 3

BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite

northlandfan
#50BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 8:51pm

Had a pretty successful day today at the flea market. Started my day by getting Tony voter books for outsiders water for elephants and merrily roll along a great deal at three for 10 bucks.

At the outsiders table I found a fully signed copy of the opening night playbill as well as the pride playbill after the Tony awards. Apparently the second one was the rarerof the two. Also picked up an outsiders crew T-shirt, which fits me perfectly.
Never thought I would find a come from away Opening night coin but to my amazement, one was sitting on a table at  a very reasonable price.

I also saw a pair of autographed sunglasses from the roommate, signed by Mia Farrow and Patti Lupone But for $250, I was hesitant and the next thing you know, somebody grabbed it before I could decide upon it. At the end of the day I picked up a reasonably priced stereophonic script beautifully signed by the entire cast on the cover as well as the opening playbill.
Water for Elephants opening night playbill was also reasonably priced.

I agree the crowds were overwhelming at times, and I had to take multiple breaks as it was quite intense midday. They would not reduce the price on the merrily. We roll along play Bill signed by all three for $300-too pricy in my opinion. That pretty much sums up my haul this year!

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#51BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 9:16pm

I didn't go to it at Roseland, no, but my friend with whom I attended today did.

Maybe just...don't do it that way and plan it better? lolol

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#52BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 9:16pm

I think Roseland was such a **** show because it was a situation that was decided the morning of because of freak weather as opposed to something actually planned for... I think an indoor venue could certainly with planning.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#53BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 9:22pm

An indoor venue like The Javits Center, yes. 

chrishuyen
#54BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 9:22pm

Marianne2 said: "I think they say 7 because of the live auction. Everything else has shut down, but that starts at 5, I believe."

The live auction was definitely done by 6pm as well.  I guess maybe if they think it'll run long then they could say 7pm, but IMO there should be a note that tables will be shutting down by 6pm 

Theater3232
#55BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 9:42pm

Weird decision to keep West 45th open to traffic (while massive hordes of people were squeezed into barricades while tons of shows were going on, making it New Year's Eve-like-gridlock) but shut down West 44th to cars. Very unpleasant with crowds on West 45th unless you wanted to walk outside the barricades and be VERY close to passing cars.

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#56BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 10:41pm

chrishuyen said: "Marianne2 said: "I think they say 7 because of the live auction. Everything else has shut down, but that starts at 5, I believe."

The live auction was definitely done by 6pm as well.
"

No it wasn’t. The live auction went until around 7pm.

For the first time ever the auction raised over $500,000!

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"
Updated On: 9/22/24 at 10:41 PM

MannPhan24601
#57BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 11:19pm

Thr flea was something that had been on my bucket list for at least 8 years.  I hadn't been to NYC pre COVID . I've been to some massive political rallies lately including the big Harris Walz one in Philly . The table crowds gave me bad anxiety and idk why . Saw tons of old playbills and CDs but not many props /opening night items like I was used to seeing online .  Spent $70 in total on a Hamilton bag , show used newspaper Notebook prop , a signed Wicked Carrie St Louis door sign , a Kinky Boots water bottle ,Kinky Boots button , a 35th Anniversary Phantom playbill, and a front board name thingy of somebody I have mutual friends/acquaintances with. My 16 year old neighbor I was with was specifically looking for Tommy merch . The curtain call table ran out of jackets by the time we got there but she found a OBC playbill from the 90s and a bunch of Hadestown stuff she wanted . Brother got a big Cabaret vinyl thingy that hung outside of the Wilson. 

The autograph /photo booth lines werent as crowded as I thought but should have been organized better. The staff/volunteers there were very nice.  Met Stark Sands for $20 and Santino Fontana for $30 and both were very down to earth.  I know that Sarah Hyland , Andrew Barth Feldman , Donna Murphy , and Joy Woods were all $60. NPH was there too at his table with his husband but they were charging $100 for a photo and $25 for a autograph (at least it all went to a good cause ) . Was cool to see him in person. Also saw Sarah Hyland walk by too . 

Oh, and they were selling pieces of air vents from the Majestic for $40. Hilarious !

I won the Wicked lottery and my neighbors who I was with won The Notebook. The kids wanted to see Wicked for the umpteenth time  so I saw The Notebook with their dad. Beautiful show !  

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#58BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/22/24 at 11:59pm

I stopped by and the one thing that caught my eye was a large Bellroy tote embroidered with the Sweeney Todd revival logo. The logo didn't matter to me, that's a solid brand of bags, but they were gone by the time I asked someone which table they got it from. Bummer, it'd be perfect for grocery shopping. Other than that,  I am now the proud owner of two SpongeBob shirts. Props to NPH working his table. Sad I couldn't find much of anything Tommy revival merch wise.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#59BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/23/24 at 12:14am

I wasn't expecting much today. I went around noon. Was surprised that 44th was completely closed off but the tables were only on one side. 45th was chaos with the matinee lines forming. So many people bottlenecked, and then the security at Outsiders got upset when people had to move their stanchions to get by, even those in wheelchairs.

I ended up not getting anything today as I honestly was looking for one thing - The Last Ship glass (it has "F*CK the Bishop" on the bottom). Heh. Mine broken a couple of years ago and alas, I have very low hopes to find a replacement.

Updated On: 9/23/24 at 12:14 AM

Wayman_Wong
#60BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/23/24 at 12:15am

It's been several years since I went to the Broadway Flea Market, but the foot traffic on West 45th St. was a nightmare, especially in front of the Jacobs and Schoenfeld theaters because the fans of ''The Outsiders'' and ''The Notebook'' also were lining up for rush tickets. Comparatively speaking, the foot traffic on West 44th St. was much easier to negotiate. Even before the tables opened at 10 a.m., there were lines of bargain hunters parked in front of them, and you had to be really patient as they worked their way through the boxes and boxes of Playbills, posters, CDs and memorablia. Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka had their own table, selling his books. After I had seen a number of folks wearing Broadway for Harris stickers, my theater-obsessed mind immediately thought: ''Neil sure has lotsa fans.'' But those were freebies handed out by Kamala Harris' campaign team. Anyway, I hope BC/EFA raised a record amount of money.

Yes, the Flea Market is crazed and crowded, but the fun is finding bargains and memorabilia. Among the things I saw:

* ''Sweeney Todd'' CDs, signed by Josh Groban and Annaleigh Ashford: $100
* ''Sweeney Todd'' prop bottles of Pirelli's Miracle Elixir: $50
* ''Here Lies Love'': Autographed posters: $10-$50
* ''Here Lies Love'': 4-inch disco mirror balls: $70
* ''The Outsiders'': Autographed window cards: $400
* ''The Outsiders'': A pair of cast-worn cowboy boots: $100
* ''Hello, Dolly!'': Cast CDs, signed by Bette Midler: $50
* ''Hello, Dolly!'': A lunch box (''hot lunch for orphans'' ): $35
* ''Master Class': A poster of Faye Dunaway starring in it: $40
* ''Sing Street'': A poster announcing its (canceled) Broadway debut: $10
* ''Cabaret'': Empty bottles of champagne, signed by Eddie Redmayne & Gayle Rankin: $50
* Signed Sondheim correspondence to lyricist Jim Morgan: $200 for each letter

My favorite bargain: ''Merrily We Roll Along'' souvenir programs, which probably go for $20, were $5.

Updated On: 9/23/24 at 12:15 AM

VintageSnarker
#61BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/23/24 at 10:48am

Given the other reports, I'm happy I went later in the day even if there was less to see. I didn't make it to 45th until past 3pm and the main annoyance was people parking in front of a box and somehow blocking out anyone else.

One day I will find a KPOP magnet and maybe a CD.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#62BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/23/24 at 11:24am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Cut the number of tables in half? Take over BOTH sides of 44th and 45th(I assume the current setup hassomething to do with emergency vehicles)?"

I know there are regular street fairs on 8th Avenue during the summer, a little north of there but still within the theater district. Might that work a bit better?

"Do it on Columbus Day (a Monday) so they're not running into matinee crowds?"

Although I couldn't attend this year, I've come up from Baltimore for the flea market probably 12 times in the last 15 years, and I've always taken the opportunity to see a matinee. I almost certainly wouldn't come if there were no show to see; the flea market itself doesn't make for a full day to me.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#63BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/23/24 at 11:31am

I’m also surprised they haven’t moved to 8th Ave to accommodate the growing crowds. I don’t know how such closures work, but perhaps it’s too expensive for a charity nonprofit to swing. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#64BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/23/24 at 12:15pm

Kad said: "I’m also surprised they haven’t moved to 8th Ave to accommodate the growing crowds. I don’t know how such closures work, but perhaps it’s too expensive for a charity nonprofit to swing."

But how do the small-time street fair vendors do it then? They have full on trucks and cooking equipment and vans full of stuff - unless those are subsidized by the city 

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#65BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/23/24 at 3:25pm

The past few years, I've feel like I've developed a pretty good strategy for the Flea. I go early and find stuff I want to get at "rope drop." Then slowly make my way around to all the booths. I take a lot of time, I go through things, I go back to things, I ask passerbys where they got their stuff from and go back to those booths if I missed something. I have no problems waiting out a booth that's crazy and coming back later. This year, I only had a couple hours, so that kinda went out the window. For the first time ever, I didn't come away with a single Playbill or program/Tony voter book because I just didn't have the time to look through bins and I also didn't get a signed item of any kind because I didn't have the time to wait in line for show booths. I didn't really feel it in the moment. But, looking back, I do think that it was worse than previous years. Definitely felt harder to get to the front at booths. 

That being said, I still came away with a great haul. My first and best find was Shucked corn holders (if anyone knows what they're from, let me know). I also came away with an item from each of the major Broadway trinket food groups: a pin (Bad CIndy spray can), button (Fat Ham Broadway), magnet (Shucked magnetic chip clip), keychain (Take Me Out baseball bat), and sticker ("New Jersey's Favorite Musical" Akimbo). Two big goals of mine were a Stereophonic opening night gift and a Mother hat. I found a Stereophonic ash/trinket tray at the Stage Managers' Union booth and got the Mother hat from 2st. Then I got a few more bits and bobbles. I got an Akimbo scarf from Broadway Crew, Pop Six Squish gum from Shubert, and, another favorite find, a Freestyle Love Supreme opening night gift puzzle, which I found at the Once Upon a Mattress booth (somebody must have worked on both shows and donated the puzzle). 

BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite

NYCtheater
#66BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/23/24 at 4:44pm

jkcohen626, you got great items! We saw Kimberly Akimbo items during the day, but didn't see that sticker, which is so fun! If it works out, can you post a close up of that sticker? Thanks for your help. :)

brenway
#67BCEFA flea market 2024 collectors unite
Posted: 9/23/24 at 8:02pm

It was busy but I still had a great time. I think the gridlock on 45th was crazy but I honestly avoided that area when matinee audiences started to line up, always insane but love hearing some of the funny comments by unknowing audience members, “what are they selling here? Dust collectors?” 

Didn’t get too much, bought a Jimmy Kimmel Live picture frame signed by NPH at his booth and got a picture with him for $50 total. I must have made it to booth at the right time before they had a system, because I heard of people spending way more for an autograph/picture. Aside from that got a pen from the Outsiders and Matilda. And got a signed Ernst Ludwig card prop from Cabaret! And snagged one of Henry’s journals from Illinoise as they were free near the end of the day.

Videos