News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?- Page 7

Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#150Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/9/15 at 12:10am

but her songs are in a very narrow vocal range and half-spoken sometimes, and she barely moves during the show. Kelli sings beautifully, but her character just didn't require her to stretch much. 

Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#151Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/9/15 at 12:14am

^I agree with you about Chita, but I think Anna is a much more complex acting role than you say. Vocally, you're right, it was kinda the same stuff Kelli usually does. But I found the character to be very different from her usual acting style. I think she's "stretching" more than Kristin is. However, you're right, Kristin is doing a killer job in a role that is probably more vocally and physically demanding than the other two roles. I would be happy to see the award go to Kristin or Kelli (though I personally prefer Kelli)

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#152Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/9/15 at 12:15am

"Kelli sings beautifully, but her character just didn't require her to stretch much."

or maybe she's not fleshing out the character enough. From the clips I've seen and everything I've heard about Donna Murphy, it seems like she was absolutely remarkable as Anna. Maybe Kelli just needs more time with the role to figure her out, and find the complexities.

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#153Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/9/15 at 11:34am

Chenoweth
O'Hara
Rivera
Malone
Kelly

Miles
Lucas
Skeggs
Kuhn
Fairchild (or maybe Wilson)

I have a feeling Rivera will win as the voters can accomplish two things: Honor Chita one last time while believing that Kelli will understand losing to Chita more than she would to Kristen.  (honestly, I think Kelli would be fine either way).  But my sense could change.  I'm seeing 20th Century next week and expect to be possibly blown away by Kristen - Lily is obviously the part she was born to play.

Personally I really wish Kelli were playing Amalia next season instead of Laura and that Laura would have been this season's Mrs. Anna.

O'Hara's Amalia in the Roundabout concert was truly astonishing, the best thing I have ever seen her - or practically anyone - do... and so very tony worthy.  And she and Josh had phenomenal chemistry.

And as fine as Kelli's Mrs. Anna is and as fine as Laura's Amalia may well prove, I think Laura might have been a fascinating Mrs. Anna. 

Updated On: 4/9/15 at 11:34 AM

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#154Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/18/15 at 11:13am

Great playbill article about Lisa Howard! I love Laura Michelle Kelly, but I would LOVE if Lisa Howard snuck in there with that fifth nomination...

Playbill Article

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Wayman_Wong
#155Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/18/15 at 12:04pm

It's true that the Drama Desk nominations usually concentrate on Broadway shows, but they do nominate Off-Broadway musicals. Last year, 'Fun Home' got 8 nominations (however, they didn't nominate Cerveris). On the other hand, the Outer Critics Circle DID nominate Cerveris, so he and 'Fun Home' won't be eligible this year. 

sctrojan65
#156Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/18/15 at 12:48pm

I'm with you.  Kelli is a phenomenal singer.  But Jessie's performance continues to resonate with me to this day…almost a year after seeing her.   And it can't be easy having to go out there and portray a legend, who is still alive, by the way.   Talk about pressure.

As for Chita…what can you say?  I saw the show last weekend, and there is a powerful combination of the understated and macabre in her performance.  

It's almost quite unfair to the other splendid actors and actresses on the stage with her, I know, but I almost couldn't take my eyes off of Chita the whole time.  

And not just because she's Chita.  It's because the nuances of her performance, be it a look she gives, or a gesture….she's a natural. 

If she takes the Tony, it's deserved.  Not one of simple sentiment IMO.

I didn't see The King and I so can't comment on O'Hara's performance.  But I have to admit I had a real hard time taking my eyes off of Chenoweth in her performance as Lily too.  Her razor sharp timing was amazing throughout the fast-paced dialogue and lyrics she had to deliver.  

Again, I didn't see TKaI, so can't comment on O'Hara.  But it would seem that after having seen Rivera and Chenoweth, O'Hara would have to be lights out perfect to outshine them.  And if she was, in the opinion of those who saw all three, then she should get the Tony.

Imagine these boards once the envelope is opened.  This is such a close race, and everyone will have their favorites.

"Ljay, you certainly have made me very excited for THE VISIT. It sounds like a killer performance whether she wins the Tony or not.
I think the conversation about the nominees is a bit futile before we know the billing decisions from the Tony committee regarding the productions that have yet to open.
And honestly, O'Hara sounds spectacular in the BRIDGES cast recording (when doesn't she though?), but Jessie Mueller's performance will live in my mind for the rest of my life. Not only is she onstage pretty much the entire time, but she reinvented songs that many of us had listened to literally hundreds of times. The way she modified her voice from the shy, naive songwriter to the stunning, world-class performer she becomes by the time she sings the title song never fails to wow me and her performance during the book scenes was as delicate and electrifying. She earned that Tony in spades."

bigbelterbaby
#157Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/21/15 at 4:25pm

bump!

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#158Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/21/15 at 4:35pm

I think it depends on how they categorize some people. 

Leanne Cope, Beth Malone, Laura Michelle Kelley, Judy Kuhn, Tyne Daly, Lisa Howard...

Definites:

Chita Rivera-The Visit

Kristin Chenoweth-On the Twentieth Century

Kelli O'Hara-The King and I

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

jkl011
#159Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/21/15 at 4:37pm

My prediction:

Chita 

Kelli

Kristin

Beth Malone

Laura Michelle Kelly/Leanne Cope/Lisa Howard?

Winner: Kristin

Updated On: 4/21/15 at 04:37 PM

theatreguy12
#160Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/21/15 at 9:51pm

If either Kristin or Chita gets it, I'll be most happy.  Both were great performances.

MegInManhattan
#161Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/22/15 at 2:59pm

I saw The King and I last night. While Kelli O'Hara gave a beautiful performance (especially vocally), it had no wow factor and no special moments that will stick with me. Kristin C all the way...that was a wow factor performance!

Admittedly, I haven't seen The Visit yet, but I think Kristin's overall performance and energy will be hard to top.

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#162Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/22/15 at 3:36pm

I've seen all three of the leading contenders---Kelli,Kristin, and Chita.   I am also a fan of all three.    I could make a case for and against for all three.    

It would be a major crime if they all three are not nominated and I feel it will be a tight race between them.

If I was a Tony voter, I would cast my vote for Kelli, but would not be disappointed if either of the other two were the winner.

I've also seen On The Town, Honeymoon in Vegas, Side Show, Fun Home (off broadway last year), Finding Neverland (in Cambridge).    Of these leading ladies---I could see Laura Michelle Kelly grabbing a spot.   The ladies of Fun Home are all strong.    

Looking forward to seeing Lisa Howard.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#163Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/22/15 at 3:46pm

I am rooting for Kelli O'Hara to win. I found her to absolutely sublime as Anna. I also saw Chenoweth, who was great, but if I were a voter, I would ultimately vote for O'Hara. I am also really hoping the Laura Michelle Kelly slips in and snags a nomination!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#164Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/22/15 at 3:58pm

I would like to see Kristin win the Tony, in part because she many never have another Broadway show that shows off her many talents so well.

But I can't understand the people who say that Kelli gave just another monotonous  performance in King and I. About 18 of 20 professional reviewers greatly disagree with that view. Kelli seems to be an actress who is expected to give a winning performance, no matter what the genre is: as in the Judy Holliday role she played at Encores.

I plan to see both productions again and hope each actress meets or surpasses expectations.

Falling
#165Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/22/15 at 4:05pm

I think Leanne Cope and Beth Malone will be petitioned into leading actress and join Kristen Chenoweth, Kelli O'Hara and Chita Rivera, making it look like this:

Leanne Cope

Kristen Chenoweth

Beth Malone

Kelli O'Hara

Chita Rivera

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#166Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/22/15 at 4:12pm

"I think Leanne Cope and Beth Malone will be petitioned into leading actress and join Kristen Chenoweth, Kelli O'Hara and Chita Rivera, making it look like this:

Leanne Cope
Kristen Chenoweth
Beth Malone
Kelli O'Hara
Chita Rivera"

These are my prediction as well, I just can't decide who I think will win!

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Falling
#167Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/22/15 at 4:19pm

Little Sally-it'll either be O'Hara or Rivera I think, with Chenoweth a possibility. (My gut tells me O'Hara.)

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#168Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/22/15 at 4:20pm

I honestly don't see how this could go to anyone but Cheno.

My guess for the rest of the category:

Chita Rivera.

Kelli O'hara

Lisa Howard

Beth Malone

If anyone upsets it would be Chita.

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 4/22/15 at 04:20 PM

Falling
#169Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/22/15 at 4:23pm

tazber-you only have four nominees.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#170Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/22/15 at 4:30pm

It's incredible how across-the-board this category is in terms of people's opinions. When it comes to these 3 actresses, I feel like everyone has their indisputable favorite and predicts that she will be the winner. We really won't know for sure until Tony day, I guess. 

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#171Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/22/15 at 5:07pm

Suggest you guys wait till the nominees come out and then only the people who have seen all the shows venture a prediction.  This stuff is mindless.

Stephanatic

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#172Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/22/15 at 5:13pm

Great, so it's limited to the people who live in or have ready access to New York and have a lot of money, or are awards voters! That will make for such a lively discussion.

How about you don't read the thread if you find it objectionable?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#173Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/22/15 at 5:28pm

Oh Falling, thank you!

I left off Beth Malone.

it's edited above.

....but the world goes 'round

UnwoundFantasies
#174Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/28/15 at 11:16am

So now that we know the nominees and everyone's reviews are out, how do we think this will go?

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical
Kristin Chenoweth, On the Twentieth Century
Leanne Cope, An American in Paris
Beth Malone, Fun Home
Kelli O'Hara, The King and I
Chita Rivera, The Visit 

I'm really crossing my fingers for Kelli!

Videos