News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?- Page 6

Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#125Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/6/15 at 3:49pm

That's how I would break it down, too. Malone is the "lead" of the show, since it's about her. Cerveris has almost as much focus. I'd be surprised if both were not considered leading performances. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#126Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/6/15 at 4:00pm

Wasn't Cerveris considered lead by the other awards last season?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#127Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/6/15 at 4:04pm

im not sure, but he was snubbed

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

neonlightsxo
#128Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/6/15 at 4:06pm

How could he be "snubbed"? He won a Lortel Award.

Phillypinto
#129Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/6/15 at 4:07pm

didn't get a Drama Desk nom

CoreyRyan3
#130Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/6/15 at 4:15pm

"didn't get a Drama Desk nom"

That's because the Drama Desks mainly focus on Broadway productions. They give more nominations (and almost all the wins) to shows that are on Broadway. Off-Broadway productions take a backseat.

Updated On: 4/6/15 at 04:15 PM

Phillypinto
#131Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/6/15 at 4:21pm

yeah I knoooow, and its not fairrrr

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#132Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/6/15 at 7:56pm

I'd vote for Kristen Chenowith because its the perfect match of part and actress.She milks all of the humor out of the role and sings it gloriously. I think she will win.

Chita Rivera will be nominated. She could win because she is the venerable performer and giving a focused understated and haunting performance. But I still would vote for Cheno.

Kelli o Hara has been nominated 6 times. If she wins it will be because she didn't win for South Pacific or Bridges and not for her performance as Anna. I am still voting for Chenowith cause its the best performance of the season.

The fourths slot will be Vaneessa Hudgins or Brynne O Mally or Laura Michelle Kelly or Tyne Daley or or someone else. But whoever it is will be overshadowed by the other three.

Chenowith is giving the performance of a lifetime. I would even venture to say that this revival is better than the original (which I did see).  I never thought anyone would be as funny as Madeline Kahn and Cheno is.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#133Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/6/15 at 8:26pm

^You mean the fourth or fifth slot?

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#134Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/6/15 at 9:09pm

I've been watching the Tonys since I was a kid, when the local stations broadcast it here in New York 1n 1960 (and Ethel Merman in GYPSY was robbed of a Tony in favor of Mary Martin in THE SOUND OF MUSIC, still unbelievable). So who knows anything, really? I've been surprised, and some times shocked (Joanna Gleason in INTO THE WOODS over Patti Lupone in ANYTHING GOES? Hooray!) Yes, it's pretty clear that this is a three-way question: Chita, Kristin or Kelli? The other nominees really aren't going to matter very much. That's not a slight to any of the other women who may be under consideration, just pretty much of a fact. Chita probably has the edge, as the legend that she is, but Kristin is incredible, and gives the best performance of her stage career. Kelli is a wonderful singing actress when she is cast properly (she should have won for BRIDGES, no one could have been better, imo), and as good as she may be as Anna, it's not really the winning role (Gertrude Lawrence was dying, and Donna Murphy won because Julie Andrews dropped out); it's about the King, but Ken Wantanabe has been found wanting (or at least unintelligible). 

Unless her reviews are disappointing, I think Chita is the winner.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#135Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/6/15 at 9:27pm

I'm shocked that so many people found Kelli O'Hara's performance to be less than amazing. She's so nuanced and commanding and her voice is perfect. I absolutely think it's a Tony role. I understand those who think Kristin has a better chance, but I think Kelli is not getting enough credit. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#136Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/6/15 at 9:46pm

^Though Mary Beth Peil is the only Anna to have ever lost a Tony race.

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#137Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/6/15 at 10:02pm

My bet is on Kristen Chenowith for OTTC. For the same reasons everyone has already mentioned. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#138Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/6/15 at 10:03pm

<i>^Though Mary Beth Peil is the only Anna to have ever lost a Tony race.</i>

Although Constance Towers wasn't even nominated. Funny that revival received no nominations, but it's probably the best recording of the score. 

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#139Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/6/15 at 10:57pm

I would love to see that last slot go to Rachel Tucker, even though I know odds are slim. She was a standout in that production. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#140Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/7/15 at 4:24pm

I still think Judy Kuhn needs to finally win.  

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#141Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/7/15 at 4:30pm

Kuhn will be in the Featured category, likely competing against costar Sydney Lucas.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

neonlightsxo
#142Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/7/15 at 4:35pm

^ We don't know that yet. She's billed above the title.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#143Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/7/15 at 6:31pm

We'll have an idea tomorrow night after GIGI reviews on where Vanessa Hudgens stands on being nominated.

My picks:

Chita Rivera - The Visit
Kristin Chenoweth - On the Twentieth Century
Kelli O'Hara - The King and I
Beth Malone - Fun Home

5th slot

Vanessa Hudgens - Gigi OR  Laura Michelle Kelly - Finding Neverland

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#144Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:17pm

We'll have an idea tomorrow night after GIGI reviews on where Vanessa Hudgens stands on being nominated.

Well, tomorrow is here...

My picks:

Chita Rivera - The Visit
Kristin Chenoweth - On the Twentieth Century
Kelli O'Hara - The King and I
Beth Malone - Fun Home                                                                                     5th slot Laura Michelle Kelly - Finding Neverland

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Phillypinto
#145Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:19pm

What about Lisa Howard or Sierra Boggess? I wonder what category they will be put in. I agree with you though Robbie. Those are my predictions too

getatme
#146Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:21pm

Lisa Howard would probably be considered leading. Although Sierra is above the title she's definitely featured. Either way I don't see it likely that either of them would be nominated (as wonderful as Howard is).

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#147Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:30pm

PhillyP

I really predict no nominations for them unless...

FEATURED ACTRESS MUSICAL

Sydney Lucas-Fun Home
Judy Kuhn-Fun Home
Victoria Clark-Gigi
Ruthie Ann Miles-King & I 

*Nancy Opel-Honeymoon

*Nancy was a comedic highlight in Honeymoon so I predict a nomination for her performance unless a nom is given to someone in ISBY or Mary Louise Wilson in OTTC but doubtful

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#148Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/8/15 at 11:50pm

After tonight's reviews it seems a safe bet Hudgens won't be nominated, so I'd say the completely irrelevant "just happy to be nominated" 4th and 5th slots will go to Beth Malone and Laura Michelle Kelly. 

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#149Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/9/15 at 12:04am

The whole featured vs leading is getting so confusing because the shows all have EVERYBODY above title these days... in It Shoulda Been You almost all of them are above title, but I would only consider Lisa Howard leading, and everybody else featured. I really hope Harriett Harris picks up a nom there, she was my highlight of that show.

I have now seen Kelli, Kristin and Chita and judging purely by what I saw on stage, Kristin is the most deserving of the three. Chita does some fine acting, but her songs are in a very narrow vocal range and half-spoken sometimes, and she barely moves during the show. Kelli sings beautifully, but her character just didn't require her to stretch much. I'm not saying they are lesser performers in any way. It's just that Lily Garland is such a demanding role, vocally, physical comedy, dancing and is a character where Kristin has to balance playing a spoiled diva, who still has to be likable enough to root for her. And she's just giving it her all and delivers 110% in all aspects. Neither Clara nor Anna require as much of Chita and Kelli respectively.

Videos