News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?- Page 9

Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#200Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/30/15 at 2:36pm

"CZJ didn't "knock it out of the park", particularly when you compare her performance to Peters.  Kate Baldwin should have won the Tony for her lovely performance in Finian's Rainbow. "

I agree that Kate should have won, but CZJ was PHENOMENAL in Night Music.  People remember her for her Tony performance, when she was sick.  But I saw her 6 times between November and April, and she was flawless each time.  I for one actually thought she was better than Bernadette but a fair amount.

Steve721
#201Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/30/15 at 2:39pm

"I agree that Kate should have won, but CZJ was PHENOMENAL in Night Music.  People remember her for her Tony performance, when she was sick.  But I saw her 6 times between November and April, and she was flawless each time.  I for one actually thought she was better than Bernadette but a fair amount."

You saw ALM 6 times??  Wow.  I saw it twice, once with CZJ and once with Peters, and I thought Peters was infinitely better.

Updated On: 4/30/15 at 02:39 PM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#202Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/30/15 at 2:42pm

I loved Peters too, but I agree with bjh in preferring CZJ.

....but the world goes 'round

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#203Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/30/15 at 2:42pm

I actually saw it 8 times.  6 with CZJ, once with Jayne Paterson on for CZJ, and once with Bernadette.  I had a friend in the show, so I didn't pay every time.  But still, I saw Catherine give GLORIOUS performances.  Bernadette was hamming it up concert style when I saw her.

Steve721
#204Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/30/15 at 2:49pm

"I actually saw it 8 times.  6 with CZJ, once with Jayne Paterson on for CZJ, and once with Bernadette.  I had a friend in the show, so I didn't pay every time.  But still, I saw Catherine give GLORIOUS performances.  Bernadette was hamming it up concert style when I saw her."

Given that she's playing a somewhat hammy actress, I thought Peter's mannerisms worked fine for the part.  And then she strips all of that away when she comes to "Send in the Clowns", which makes that song even more breathtaking.  By comparison, CZJ was merely competent.

Updated On: 4/30/15 at 02:49 PM

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#205Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/30/15 at 2:51pm

I never saw her in the show, so I'm one of the many who judged her performance on the Tony Awards, and I couldn't help but agree with the people who were unimpressed to say the least. I was distracted by her stage direction and why she seemed to have trouble directing her attention.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#206Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/30/15 at 3:56pm

It was actually Send in the Clowns when I found Bernadette to be the MOST hammy.  She was performing for an audience, not talking to herself.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#207Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/30/15 at 3:56pm

"I never saw her in the show, so I'm one of the many who judged her performance on the Tony Awards, and I couldn't help but agree with the people who were unimpressed to say the least. I was distracted by her stage direction and why she seemed to have trouble directing her attention."

So if you didn't see her live, maybe don't comment on it?

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#208Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/30/15 at 3:57pm

She definitely gave an odd and unfocused performance on the Tony Awards, but what I saw in the theater was nothing like that. I loved Jones' take on the role, and am glad she won the Tony. I liked Peters, of course, but not as much.

Angela Lansbury was way, way better than Elaine Stritch, too, adding to my enjoyment of that version.

Getting to the topic, I am really pulling for Kelli O'Hara, but based on the buzz, I'm expecting Kristin Chenoweth to win. (I love her, but I simply did not "get" that performance or that show.)

Steve721
#209Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/30/15 at 4:15pm

"It was actually Send in the Clowns when I found Bernadette to be the MOST hammy.  She was performing for an audience, not talking to herself."

In that song, Desirée is finally confronting her great regrets and is struggling to control her emotions.  I thought Peters completely nailed all of that.  In 30-plus years of going to musicals, her performance of that song is definitely one of the highlights.  

I agree that CZJ's rather strange performance at the Tonys--I understand she was ill--is not representative of what I saw on the stage.  While I'm not a fan of that performance, her work was certainly competent.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#210Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/30/15 at 5:55pm

""I never saw her in the show, so I'm one of the many who judged her performance on the Tony Awards, and I couldn't help but agree with the people who were unimpressed to say the least. I was distracted by her stage direction and why she seemed to have trouble directing her attention."
So if you didn't see her live, maybe don't comment on it?"

I never commented on her performance in the show. I was only talking about my impression of her the only time I was able to gauge her performance. I think commenting on her Tony performance is fair game.

However, since you gave me some posting advice, let me give you some too. You are obviously over-protective over your fave performers, but try not to overreact when someone gives an opinon that differs from yours because that sort of aggression can come off as irrational.

Updated On: 4/30/15 at 05:55 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#211Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/30/15 at 6:08pm

Catherine Zeta-Jones's performance at the Tony had nothing to do with her performance in the actual show. Two completely separate things. Zeta-Jones was not only sick, but it did come out at the time that she was diagnosed as bipolar and there was certainly something off about her that night, including her attempt to bring Michael Douglas to the stage when she won.

On stage in the actual show she exuded class and star power with none of the mannerisms or antics that people saw at the Tonys. I thought she gave a true star performance and overcame the awful direction of the show. I am quite happy she won that Tony, and really her having won has nothing to do with Kelli O'Hara not having one, it's not like they were nominated the same year.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#212Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/30/15 at 6:28pm

"I never commented on her performance in the show. I was only talking about my impression of her the only time I was able to gauge her performance. I think commenting on her Tony performance is fair game.
However, since you gave me some posting advice, let me give you some too. You are obviously over-protective over your fave performers, but try not to overreact when someone gives an opinon that differs from yours because that sort of aggression can come off as irrational."

Ok, first of all, Catherine isn't one of my fave performers.  I've seen her live in ONE show (granted, multiple times). Saying that people don't know what they're talking about by judging her on Tony performance alone isn't being over protective, it's fact.  You didn't see her live, then you don't know how she was in the show!  Seems pretty simple to me, yes?

Now, if it had been the first comment about her Tony performance, it would have been fine.  But since it had been previously brought up and dismissed, for you to say "I didn't see her, but her Tony performance was bad" seems not only redundant but also head-scratching since it was established already that her Tony performance was nothing like her nightly performance at the Kerr.  It's not irrational to feel enraged when posters on here re-post idiotic, uneducated tripe.  Sorry that you had to be caught in the cross-hairs of this one, but it's one of the most annoying things about people who don't see shows but feel the need to comment on them anyway.

And to reiterate, it's not that your opinion DIFFERS from mine or anyone else's; it's that your opinion isn't valid because it's based on NOTHING of actual substance!

Updated On: 4/30/15 at 06:28 PM

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#213Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/30/15 at 7:55pm

Glad you're in control of your emotions. Anyway, my comment was only about the CZJ Tony performance and I brought it up because someone mentioned that they hated that so many people only judged her performance based on that performance. I only made my comment to add an example of how the Tony performance influenced people's perceptions. Anyway, sorry you think it's redundant, even if I don't agree with that. However, I don't mind people expressing different opinions.

Updated On: 4/30/15 at 07:55 PM

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#214Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/30/15 at 8:04pm

"Glad you're in control of your emotions. Anyway, my comment was only about the CZJ Tony performance and I brought it up because someone mentioned that they hated that so many people only judged her performance based on that performance. I only made my comment to add an example of how the Tony performance influenced people's perceptions. Anyway, sorry you think it's redundant, even if I don't agree with that. However, I don't mind people expressing different opinions."

Oh I'm definitely in control of my emotions.  The emotion I happen to be feeling right now is strong dislike.  I AM certainly in control of it though. Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.  I see this going to Kristin or Kelli (though I've loved Chita forever).  I just don't think the legend status is going to be enough to push her over the edge.  I could be completely wrong, but this year's race certainly is going to be exciting until the minute they crack the envelope open.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#215Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 4/30/15 at 11:19pm

If Kelli fails to win again I think there would be about a hundred people here who would be more upset than Kelli. Her career has gone so smoothly, going from one production to the next, often in a different genre, and she has always delivered in the eyes of the critics and her growing fan base. Marriage, two children, performing at the Met without voice amplification.

If there were any one year that she might have been very disappointed, it would have been last year because she threw herself into Bridges and the vocals up on YouTube attest to the results. If anyone doubted that she was an actress and not just a soprano, last year should have eliminated that doubt. My doubt disappeared with South Pacific. And she definitely understands that Kristin, her fellow Birdwell disciple, is giving the performance of her career.

As for the future of Kelli and Ken in King and I, a kind marketing assistant from Lincoln Center Theater send me this email:

THE KING AND I is now on sale through January 3, 2015. The current cast is contracted through the original run (July 5, 2015), but I do not yet have information on who will be continuing through the new block of dates. Sorry I can't provide more information, but you can sign up for the LCT email list (through LCT.org) to receive updates on tickets and notifications such as casting.

So there is no guarantee that they both will continue after July 5th. Of the two, I could really see only Watanabe leaving after less than six months. He might have been unsure that he would like this new experience of live stage and he might have obligations to market his latest film.

Videos