News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?- Page 4

Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#75Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 3/25/15 at 12:29am

Still, realistically, at her age, competing against the younger actresses in their prime, a win would come from sentiment

But why is not possible that she could be giving the best performance in the category? Why is age such a factor?

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#76Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 3/25/15 at 12:33am

Everything else aside, I can't image what it'd be like to lose a Tony....5 times. If anything I want Kelli to win just to make up for all of that disappointment.

so I smile like Mona Lisa and I lay my Visa down

Skip2 Profile Photo
Skip2
#77Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 3/25/15 at 12:39am

Cheno will win Best Actress.

Chita second.

Kelli third.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#78Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 3/25/15 at 12:45am

Chita Rivera lost four times until she won for The Rink. It would suck to lose 6 times for Kelli, though. Had Chita not won the Rink (which could have happened since it seems like she had stiff competition from Bernadette Peters) she would have also lost six times before winning for Kiss of the Spider Woman (that performance seems less debated).

I think Kelli, Kristin, and Chita all have huge factors in their favor (Kelli losing so many times for consistently great performances, Anna being a great role to showcase her acting and singing, and the production being pretty classic; Chita for giving a great performance in what some think is the best acting job she's done, being a legend who at her age is still on top of the game, and this possibly being her last performance on Broadway; and Kristin Chenoweth who many think should be considered one of the great contemporary Broadway talents, never winning for Best Actress, finally having a role that fits the best things she has to offer with the vocal gymnastics, dancing, and playing up her comedic skills, getting raves and love letters in her reviews, and finally awarding a Tony to the role of Lily Garland which is a great showcase for any actress who is up to playing the part).

Updated On: 3/25/15 at 12:45 AM

Jayar2 Profile Photo
Jayar2
#79Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 3/25/15 at 12:46am

I am shocked that anyone would think that Davie and Padgett should even be considered in this season. They just weren't *that* good. They were okay, but there really wasn't much magic in the show other than the ensemble-- they were the show. The leads-- not so much.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#80Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 3/25/15 at 11:59am

Still, realistically, at her age, competing against the younger actresses in their prime, a win would come from sentiment, plus the desire of the judges not to have to choose between Kelli and Kristin.

If you're still on the low side of 50, or God forbid, 60, then I hate to break this to you but age causes your voice and dancing to decline. Julie Andrews, in her recent special said, in reaction to the surgical loss of her voice, that even without the surgery at 79 her vocal skills would have been much diminished. If you go out there shaking your booty, you can end up with serious pain in your back.

Really I have nothing good to say about aging.

No reason Chita couldn't out-act the other two, but you're supposed to be seriously at your top of singing and often dancing to win the best actress in a musical Tony.

Updated On: 3/25/15 at 11:59 AM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#81Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 3/25/15 at 12:15pm

The award isn't for Best/Most Dancing and Singing though- it's for the whole performance. Not that other factors can't come into play, but the fact that Chita is older and doesn't have the voice she once did doesn't mean she can't be giving the best performance. And for the record, I thought she sounded great in that clip.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

MrWilliams1987 Profile Photo
MrWilliams1987
#82Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 3/25/15 at 12:24pm

I'll go for Miss Kristin Chenoweth for her win this year!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#83Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 3/25/15 at 12:29pm

Exactly, Wizard!

neonlightsxo
#84Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 3/25/15 at 12:57pm

"If anything I want Kelli to win just to make up for all of that disappointment."

You don't seem to understand how awards work.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#85Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 3/25/15 at 2:32pm

I adore Chenoweth!! She is one of my favorites! Im surprised though by how many people think she is gonna win. The award is going to Chita.

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY
Updated On: 3/25/15 at 02:32 PM

BroadwayFan12
#86Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 3/25/15 at 6:54pm

"Beautiful with its three and four chord pop tunes was not demanding in vocal skills or acting skills."

What an idiotic statement. It is demanding in acting skills and a very hard role to get right. She acted the HELL out of it.

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#87Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 3/25/15 at 7:43pm

I believe Kelli O'Hara is tied with Danny Burstein for the most acting nominations without a win.

Dear God, I hope she finally wins.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#88Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 3/25/15 at 8:19pm

It's so dumb to think that Chita Rivera's age impedes her ability to perform. If anything, I think most actors (not all, but most) get better with age as they accumulate more experiences, begin to understand themselves better, and know more about the craft. Rivera may not have O'Hara's angelic soprano voice, but she sure knows how to deliver a song like the best of them since she is the best of them. If you look at the quality of the performances that are considered top tier this season (Chenoweth, O'Hara, and Rivera), it's an embarrassment of riches, and I assume anyone could make a case for one of the three ladies taking the award home.
And seriously, do people who say someone who's older has less value than someone who is younger not realize that they will be older one day? Or do they hope to die before hitting a certain age? Oh, and please don't write "Kelly," everyone knows it's Kelli, have some self-respect.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#89Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 3/25/15 at 8:48pm

The Visit seems to to be playing the "It's Chita's last time on Broadway, give her the tony" and "This is K&E's last score, give it the tony". At least that seems to be the campaign angle they are going for. If chita wins, fine, but her past performances and Broadway legend status should not play into it. Many women are giving on par and better performances this year.

With that said, I'd personally give it to Chenoweth at the moment. We'll see what happens with Fun Home. I don't think it's Kelli's year.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#90Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 3/25/15 at 8:50pm

The tough thing about Kelli is that she hasn't had the right narrative to win yet. I was hoping this year would be hers but I'm worried about 1.) Chita (talk about a narrative); and 2.) any potential bad reviews for Watanabe.

It's just depressing to think she hasn't won yet. I've had the chance to see her three times -- in 'South Pacific,' 'Bridges' and 'The Light in the Piazza,' respectively -- and was absolutely blown away every time. I'm hoping the same holds true when I see her in 'The King and I' in May. What will it take for her to win?! Sigh. Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#91Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 3/25/15 at 8:55pm

And seriously, do people who say someone who's older has less value than someone who is younger not realize that they will be older one day? Or do they hope to die before hitting a certain age?

EXACTLY. Those ageist comments were horrible.

f chita wins, fine, but her past performances and Broadway legend status should not play into it. Many women are giving on par and better performances this year.

Clearly you haven't seen her performance and haven't read the reviews and buzz from WTF. Critics and audiences are calling this the best acting performance of her career. If we didn't know her as triple threat Chita, one could easily mistake her for having a career as a dramatic actress after seeing THE VISIT.

Updated On: 3/25/15 at 08:55 PM

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#92Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 3/25/15 at 11:09pm

I just want to say
While I adore Jessie Mueller, Kelli should've won for "Bridges." I had never heard a woman sing like that in my entire life.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#93Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 3/25/15 at 11:12pm

^ Word.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#94Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 3/25/15 at 11:15pm

Then you must never have seen Audra McDonald perform.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#95Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 3/25/15 at 11:15pm

ljay889, I believe many on this board have never seen her "Chita" in a show before as she is a legend making her performance in The Visit a must see!
I anxiously can't wait...

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 3/25/15 at 11:15 PM

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#96Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 3/25/15 at 11:19pm

You really shouldn't isolate a performance from the overall affect of the production. Kelli' performance couldn't elevate the material enough to make the overall production of Bridges successful where jessie did the opposite and the production was raised because of her performance.

Up In One

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#97Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 3/25/15 at 11:27pm

So who gets the 4th slot?

It's a given that Chita, Kelli and Kristin will get the first three spots.

Based on the out of town tryouts I saw neither actresses from Neverland or Honeymoon deserve a shot.
Are there leading actress performances in On The Town, Gigi or An American In Paris that are worthy? Would one of the actresses playing the lead in Fun Home be considered "leading"?

If not one of the Side Show leads should get the nod.

Up In One

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#98Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 3/25/15 at 11:32pm

My top choices in order:

Chita Rivera - The Visit
Kristin Chenoweth - On the Twentieth Century
Kelli O'Hara - The King and I
Beth Malone - Fun Home
5th slot goes to: Vanessa Hudgens - Gigi
OR
Laura Michelle Kelly Finding Neverland

***Unfortunately, feel the Side Show girls ~ Em Padgett & Erin Davie will be left out because they are not considered one*** and will cancel one another out of the running

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 3/29/15 at 11:32 PM

elphaba.scares.me Profile Photo
elphaba.scares.me
#99Actress in a Musical Tony predictions ?
Posted: 3/25/15 at 11:34pm

Kelli is a subtle actor. She's not my favorite, but she makes quiet choices.

She consistently finishes behind actors who make "loud" choices...or flashy ones, if you will. Sara Ramirez. Audra. PATTI LUPONE.

There is absolutely space for her on Broadway, but she's not a showoff actor. And that can work against you during award season. I mean, just ask Karen Cartwright (I kid, I kid.)

Videos