News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED

Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#1Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED
Posted: 8/18/15 at 2:59pm

Confirmed. 

Updated On: 8/18/15 at 02:59 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#2Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED
Posted: 8/18/15 at 3:20pm

I hope they let her keep her British accent. If the U.S. Elphie a can keep the American accent when they cross the pond, why can't the UK elphie a keep theirs?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#3Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED
Posted: 8/18/15 at 3:25pm

Hasn't the West End production used American accents since the first replacement cast? And the Australian cast always did, as far as I know.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#4Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED
Posted: 8/18/15 at 3:26pm

"Hasn't the West End production used American accents since the first replacement cast?"

No.

neonlightsxo
#5Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED
Posted: 8/18/15 at 3:36pm

Another ridiculous Jorge statement. She has an Irish accent in real life. She will probably do her Elphaba in a British accent as she always did.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#6Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED
Posted: 8/18/15 at 4:24pm

"Hasn't the West End production used American accents since the first replacement cast? And the Australian cast always did, as far as I know."

Nope. I remember fans making a huge deal when Kerry Ellis had to change her accent to sound more American when she came to Broadway in the show. (And from what I remember, her performance on Broadway was hindered a bit compared to her West End run because of it.)

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire
Updated On: 8/18/15 at 04:24 PM

jennifer1128
#7Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED
Posted: 8/19/15 at 3:56am

I was lucky enough to see Rachel in Wicked in 2010 in the West End and it was life changing.  Her voice, her acting and emtion are tops.  I have seen many Elphaba's, some great ones but they do not hold a candle to what Rachel brings to the role.  So happy for her and I think U.S. audiences are going to love her.

neonlightsxo
#8Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED
Posted: 8/19/15 at 9:07am

She's not new to us, she was in The Last Ship earlier this year/last year. We already do love her.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#9Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED
Posted: 8/19/15 at 9:33am

She was lovely and memorable in "The Last Ship."  

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#10Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED
Posted: 8/19/15 at 1:29pm

She was the best part of The Last Ship. So I'll def be returning to Wicked.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#11Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED
Posted: 8/19/15 at 1:33pm

I don't understand the importance being placed on accents as far as WICKED is concerned. It's a fantasy.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#12Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED
Posted: 8/19/15 at 2:39pm

She was the best part of The Last Ship. So I'll def be returning to Wicked.

Agreed.  Just purchased my Wicked tickets for 9/20.  Excited to see her!

The Glenbuck Laird Profile Photo
The Glenbuck Laird
#13Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED
Posted: 8/19/15 at 3:15pm

Looks very posh, a bit like Nigella

jennifer1128
#14Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED
Posted: 8/19/15 at 5:53pm

Rachel did an interview today over in the UK and yes, she is required to use the American accent.  

BroadwayConcierge
#15Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED
Posted: 9/16/15 at 12:51pm

Was anyone's at last night's performance? Definitely interested in knowing how Rachel's doing on the Bway.

Updated On: 9/16/15 at 12:51 PM

neonlightsxo
#16Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED
Posted: 9/16/15 at 12:52pm

Saw the show last night- she's fantastic. definitely in my top 3 Elphies. Jonah Platt...not so much. He's not much of a singer, very soft. Someone needs to tell him to SING OUT But two thumbs up for Rachel on her Broadway Elphaba debut!

Oh also I was very satisfied with her accent! Only a slip or two where I remembered she's Irish.

Updated On: 9/16/15 at 12:52 PM

LarryD2
#17Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED
Posted: 9/16/15 at 7:08pm

Jonah Platt...not so much. He's not much of a singer, very soft. Someone needs to tell him to SING OUT

When daddy runs the show, it doesn't matter if you stink.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#18Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED
Posted: 9/16/15 at 7:14pm

^Ha that's so ridiculous that his father put him in the show.

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#19Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED
Posted: 9/16/15 at 8:26pm

He had over 10 theatre credits here in LA from 2010-2014.. He is actually a great actor and singer.. It's easy to say something negative about Jonah..

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#20Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED
Posted: 9/16/15 at 10:16pm

Neon, wicked is not Rachel's Broadway debut. She was in the last ship.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

neonlightsxo
#21Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED
Posted: 9/17/15 at 9:13am

Jose Lee, I'm just being honest about what I saw, and that was that he did not sing out. He did not know how to project to fill the theater. Maybe he'll get better, maybe he won't. I did not go in with any preconception. I wanted him to be good.

Jorge, are you effing kidding me? I specifically wrote BROADWAY ELPHABA debut. I am very well aware of The Last Ship. Stop correcting people without reading the post.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#22Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED
Posted: 9/19/15 at 2:12pm

Does anyone know if there are any performances that Rachel Tucker does NOT perform at? I want to see the show again, but my main reason for going would be to see her, so I want to make sure I go when she's performing. 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#23Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED
Posted: 9/19/15 at 5:20pm

The Elphabas have always done all eight, yes, dating back to Menzel?  It's not like Kim or Eva. 

BroadwayConcierge
#24Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED
Posted: 9/19/15 at 5:41pm

Auggie27 said: "The Elphabas have always done all eight, yes, dating back to Menzel?  It's not like Kim or Eva. "

Yes, contractually, those cast in the role of Elphaba are slated for eight shows a week. However, it seems to have become an unwritten standard that these Elphabas will generally take one performance off a week—not as a rule, but just as an evolved practice.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#25Rachel Tucker to Join Broadway's WICKED
Posted: 9/19/15 at 5:50pm

^I had no idea, thanks. I do recall Menzel talking about the need to work with her voice teacher to "sing it eight times a week."  Both for SF and then B'way. I'm curious who else has had her track record, which was pretty solid over her 18 months.  I was under the impression they all showed up for every performance.

Videos