News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Music Man being filmed?

Dolly80
#1Music Man being filmed?
Posted: 1/5/23 at 4:22pm

I wonder if they are filming the show in its last performances?
I just saw a tv production truck outside the theatre and cables trailing inside Updated On: 1/5/23 at 04:22 PM

BCfitasafiddle
#2Music Man being filmed?
Posted: 1/5/23 at 4:35pm

They should definitely film and release this. I'd be thrilled to see this in a movie theatre.

cmorrow
#3Music Man being filmed?
Posted: 1/5/23 at 4:53pm

The Music Man is being taped tonight for the Theatre on Film and Tape Archive (TOFT).

Jarethan
#4Music Man being filmed?
Posted: 1/5/23 at 5:27pm

At the very least, film it for Netflix or Disney.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#5Music Man being filmed?
Posted: 1/5/23 at 6:07pm

Highly unlikely it's being filmed for tv, movie, streaming or anything like that.  Just like with the majority of all Broadway shows, it's filmed for archival purposes.  

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#6Music Man being filmed?
Posted: 1/5/23 at 9:16pm

It’s a shame it didn’t get filmed. It looks fantastic on film. The commercial is gorgeous.

RWPrincess
#7Music Man being filmed?
Posted: 1/5/23 at 9:52pm

I'm surprised this isn't getting a pro-shot. Both Hugh and Sutton have done them in the past and I think this would do really well as a Fathom Event or streaming.

cmorrow
#8Music Man being filmed?
Posted: 1/5/23 at 10:19pm

I realize that when people here use the phrase "pro-shot" they mean a commercial video, one that will be available to stream or buy as a DVD. But videos made for TOFT are also shot by professionals, and that's been true since the archive was founded. Videographers don't work for free.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#9Music Man being filmed?
Posted: 1/5/23 at 10:36pm

Pro-shot is basically a genetic term used to reference a professionally filmed commercially available video of a show.  We all are fully aware TOFT videos are “pro-shot” but these are not available to stream so to us, these videos are pointless as most aren’t in NYC nor will go to view them at the NY Public Library.

jo
#10Music Man being filmed?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 3:19am

Director Trevor Nunn went a step further when he filmed the RNT production of OKLAHOMA! ( with Hugh Jackman). He filmed the show on a sound stage ( like what they do for movies) when there was a hiatus ( the run ended at RNT and the show was set to transfer to the Lyceum theatre in London). It had clarity of image and sound, compared to the so-called pro-shot of a show while  being performed on stage. It also allowed more rehearsals between takes and also retakes if the scene did not come out well. But that was a very expensive way of doing that. According to the camera supplier PANASONIC, it took about $ 4 Million to do that, in 1998 $.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#11Music Man being filmed?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 6:55am

jo said: "Director Trevor Nunn went a step further when he filmed the RNT production of OKLAHOMA! ( with Hugh Jackman). He filmed the show on a sound stage ( like what they do for movies) when there was a hiatus ( the run ended at RNT and the show was set to transfer to the Lyceum theatre in London). It had clarity of image and sound, compared to the so-called pro-shot of a show while being performed on stage. It also allowed more rehearsals between takes and also retakes if the scene did not come out well. But that was a very expensive way of doing that. According to the camera supplier PANASONIC, it took about $ 4 Million to do that, in 1998 $."

I was gonna say…a huge reason for these ‘proshots’ not getting made is how expensive they are, so the suggestion of a separate soundstage and extra rehearsals for reblocking, etc. is less than ideal.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

jo
#12Music Man being filmed?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 7:31am

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "jo said: "Director Trevor Nunn went a step further when he filmed the RNT production of OKLAHOMA! ( with Hugh Jackman). He filmed the show on a sound stage ( like what they do for movies) when there was a hiatus ( the run ended at RNT and the show was set to transfer to the Lyceum theatre in London). It had clarity of image and sound, compared to the so-called pro-shot of a show while being performed on stage. It also allowed more rehearsals between takes and also retakes if the scene did not come out well. But that was a very expensive way of doing that. According to the camera supplier PANASONIC, it took about $ 4 Million to do that, in 1998 $."

I was gonna say…a huge reason for these ‘proshots’ not getting made is how expensive they are, so the suggestion of a separate soundstage and extra rehearsals for reblocking, etc. is less than ideal.
"

Whether this is an attractive option or not depends on the perceived market for a cinema release or a streaming release plus home video sales.  I guess one has to relate it to the box office record of the show on Broadway.

Maybe there is a market for this type of shows. A family-friendly show. A show which lifted the spirits and the joy factor. 

Btw, the film Greatest Showman had a budget of $84 million. Its worldwide box office receipts came to about $ 435 million and USA home video sales (DVD/BluRay) of $ 82 Million won over Star Wars for the # 1 slot in that year. Album sales beat all other albums in 2018 ( including pop music) on a worldwide basis.

Worldwide Box Office - per Box Office Mojo

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl1700234753/

USA/Domestic Home Video sales - per The Numbers

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Greatest-Showman-The#tab=summary

Updated On: 1/6/23 at 07:31 AM

Videos