News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Favorite Overtures

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#50Favorite Overtures
Posted: 9/19/10 at 1:11pm

Bless you, uncageg! I never knew about this site and am delighted to find a "Rodgers and Hammerstein" radio station.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#51Favorite Overtures
Posted: 9/19/10 at 1:32pm

It has been around for a while and they expanded their stations over time. I listen to the Sondheim station a lot. For general listening I prefer BWW's station but for specific listening, I love AccuRadio. I also like that you can listen to music from certain time periods. They don't take requests though.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 9/19/10 at 01:32 PM

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#52Favorite Overtures
Posted: 9/19/10 at 1:34pm

Finian's Rainbow
South Pacific
Gypsy
(Do Ent'ractes count? if so then) Ragtime
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#53Favorite Overtures
Posted: 9/19/10 at 1:43pm

CO2, they also mix in movie versions and concert versions. I also just noticed they have a "Wide Playlist" channel that includes more obscure stuff.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 9/19/10 at 01:43 PM

bwaymizfit2
#54Favorite Overtures
Posted: 9/19/10 at 4:27pm

I certainly agree with all the more obvious choices already listed. However, one of my personal favorites (if we're including entr'actes) is the entr'acte from The Scarlet Pimpernel. Say what you want about especially the later versions of the show (and I'll agree with you), but I just LOVE the entr'acte, especially the trombone counterpoint at the end.

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#55Favorite Overtures
Posted: 9/19/10 at 4:52pm

Gypsy
Follies
My Fair Lady
The Producers (CD version)
42nd Street
NO No Nanette
Chicago

I also love the Jerry Herman's Broadway overture (or "the Showtunes")

onedaymore Profile Photo
onedaymore
#56Favorite Overtures
Posted: 9/19/10 at 11:43pm

South Pacific by far.

Whoever says money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop. - Bo Derek

TimesSquared Profile Photo
TimesSquared
#57Favorite Overtures
Posted: 9/20/10 at 2:45am

frontrowcentre, I'm with you on Bells Are Ringing—I adore that overture! (I'm so glad the show is getting another shot at Encores after that blasted revival ten years ago. Do it right this time!)
Just listened today to the overture of the 1971 revival of No, No, Nanette after many, many years. Wow. It's wonderful! Give it a listen if you haven't lately.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#58Favorite Overtures
Posted: 9/20/10 at 3:40am

Is there no love for the Show Boat overture? I've only have one recording (The 1988 3 CD EMI) but was hooked the first time I [recently] heard it.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#59Favorite Overtures
Posted: 9/20/10 at 8:43am

What was the last NEW show to have a great overture? All I can think of is Light in the Piazza - which is one of the greatest.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

LegallyBroadway2
#60Favorite Overtures
Posted: 9/27/10 at 2:15am

Light in the Pizza is so beautiful.

but, I am in love with Legally Blonde's overture. It is sooo sweet, and the lead into Omigod You Guys is just adorable!

Dirty Rotten and Sweet Charity also are some of my favorites..

and although it isn't an overture, Next to Normal's prelude always gives me a shiver.

TimesSquared
#61Favorite Overtures
Posted: 9/28/10 at 12:27am

I have all my overtures in one mood-improving playlist. It never fails.

Has anyone mentioned the Gershwin overtures?
Girl Crazy
Oh, Kay!
Funny Face
Of Thee I Sing
Strike up the Band

They are just thrilling to listen to!

(Tazber, that National Symphony Orchestra collection sounds wonderful. Thanks for posting it. I'm downloading it now.)

TimesSquared
#62Favorite Overtures
Posted: 9/28/10 at 12:30am

How could I forget Promises, Promises?

I think it might be my all time favorite.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#63Favorite Overtures
Posted: 9/28/10 at 12:39am

^ I agree! Promises Promises has an incredible overture. I also like the Love Never Dies overture.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

willep
#64Favorite Overtures
Posted: 9/28/10 at 1:13am

I really like the Curtains overture.

Jyn326
#65Favorite Overtures
Posted: 9/28/10 at 7:50am

I saw Idina Menzel at the Cincinnati Music Hall on Sunday. Before she performed, the Cincinnati Pops played several selections from Broadway musicals. I was very excited when they played the West Side Story overture. It was fantastic.

FrontRowCenter2 Profile Photo
FrontRowCenter2
#66Favorite Overtures
Posted: 9/28/10 at 8:12am

High Spirits
Dear World
Gypsy
Sugar

TimesSquared
#67Favorite Overtures
Posted: 9/28/10 at 9:39pm

Thank you uncageg!
AccuRadio's Broadway Overtures Channel is truly wonderful.

Videos