News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Child Actors

rife97
#1Child Actors
Posted: 3/29/16 at 10:06pm

Why is it that the child actors in Matilda are not allowed to stage door, but for A Christmas Story, Fun Home, Annie, School or Rock, Kinky Boots, etc.. the children are allowed out the stage door to sign autographs?

Updated On: 3/29/16 at 10:06 PM

Fosse76
#2Child Actors
Posted: 3/29/16 at 10:12pm

It's a rule that the show's producers have implemented. Just go to the gate between the Shubert and Broadhurst if you want to "stage door" the kids in the cast.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#3Child Actors
Posted: 3/29/16 at 10:20pm

The producers of Matilda don't allow it in an effort to maintain some normalcy in the kids' lives. 

Updated On: 3/29/16 at 10:20 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4Child Actors
Posted: 3/29/16 at 10:31pm

Yes, it's not a union rule or a child labor law.  It's an individual decision made my the producers.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

KathyNYC2
#5Child Actors
Posted: 3/29/16 at 10:49pm

Yes you can see the kids from Matilda exit elsewhere on the side of the theater  but you are still not allowed to take photos or ask them to sign anything. Sometimes you also can catch them entering the theater before the show starts but if you ask if you can take a picture, the kids will decline. (Everyone enters through the stage door)

Updated On: 3/29/16 at 10:49 PM

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#6Child Actors
Posted: 3/29/16 at 10:59pm

Matilda has always had a policy of trying to retain normalcy in the kids lives, just as Cupid said. They're strict about the kids in interviews and appearances as well--the girls playing Matilda don't do ndividual interviews for the most part.

mandresser
#7Child Actors
Posted: 3/30/16 at 12:59am

Also I would advise that IF such a policy were in place, it would probably be better to respect that than to try to find sneaky ways to get "around" it by catching them at other exits w/e

I  doubt that anyone has anything other than the best of intentions and it's just about appreciating the actors and their work, but I think there is something to trying to give them a degree of stabilization.

mandresser
#8Child Actors
Posted: 3/30/16 at 12:59am

Also I would advise that IF such a policy were in place, it would probably be better to respect that than to try to find sneaky ways to get "around" it by catching them at other exits w/e

I  doubt that anyone has anything other than the best of intentions and it's just about appreciating the actors and their work, but I think there is something to trying to give them a degree of stabilization.

Wilmingtom
#9Child Actors
Posted: 3/30/16 at 1:04am

Also the kids have transportation waiting for them so they can get home and go to school the next day.  They can't be spending an extra 45 minutes at the theater.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#10Child Actors
Posted: 3/30/16 at 1:12am

mandresser said: "Also I would advise that IF such a policy were in place, it would probably be better to respect that than to try to find sneaky ways to get "around" it by catching them at other exits w/e

"

Re: the policy... Lesli had mentioned it numerous times on her Broadway.com vlog. 

And they're not trying to be sneaky by going out another exit. If they're trying to let the kids be normal but having them go out the regular stage door, they'll still be bombarded by people, taking photos of them, trying to get them to sign things, etc. It's still not normal. Stage door can get crazy.

But the big point... stage door isn't mandatory. No one is forcing any cast member to stage door. They don't owe the audience anything besides the performance they gave on stage. Yes, a good number come out, but it's by their own free will. However, no one should fault a cast member (whether a child or adult) to not stage door.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#11Child Actors
Posted: 3/30/16 at 1:12am

I think it's kind of smart they do this since the matildas don't have long contracts with the show. It would kind of be weird to walk out of a door one day to a crowd of fans to then walk out another door the next day to a school bus.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Call_me_jorge
#12Child Actors
Posted: 3/30/16 at 1:14am

Also I would find it weird if I had some creep 41 year old super fan who was fat guy waiting for me at the stage door. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#13Child Actors
Posted: 3/30/16 at 1:17am

Call_me_jorge said: "Also I would find it weird if I had some creep 41 year old super fan who was fat guy waiting for me at the stage door. "

Ugh. One time at Les Mis, this old lady was trying to get the Gavroche to give the middle finger for a photo. He looked so uncomfortable and she kept on insisting. Finally, another cast member came along and move him down the line so he wasn't around the lady anymore.

mandresser
#14Child Actors
Posted: 3/30/16 at 1:19am

sorano916 said: "mandresser said: 

And they're not trying to be sneaky by going out another exit. If they're trying to let the kids be normal but having them go out the regular stage door, they'll still be bombarded by people, taking photos of them, trying to get them to sign things, etc. It's still not normal. Stage door can get crazy."

I think you misinterpreted me, sorano... I wasn't saying the PRODUCERS were being sneaky, I was saying other people in the thread were suggesting alternate places where one might be able to catch up with the child actors and I was suggesting that there was probably a reason why they were trying to do things the way they were and therefore trying to find the kids in different locations wasn't necessarily the best course of action, as it would undermine the entire reason for having them go a different route :)

dreamer92
#15Child Actors
Posted: 3/30/16 at 2:25am

I don't know about the other shows that involve kids but for SOR they do have police officers plus the guardians at the stage door to look after the kids due to the amount of them and the fact that second to Alex, they are the stars.  I would add, that I did see a video of what I believe was SOR stage door and all you saw were a group of the kids and what looked to be fans crowding waiting taking pics and parents trying to pick their kids up.  So I totally agree with the statement that stage door does get crazy.

KathyNYC2
#16Child Actors
Posted: 3/30/16 at 9:57am

I think you misinterpreted me, sorano... I wasn't saying the PRODUCERS were being sneaky, I was saying other people in the thread were suggesting alternate places where one might be able to catch up with the child actors and I was suggesting that there was probably a reason why they were trying to do things the way they were and therefore trying to find the kids in different locations wasn't necessarily the best course of action, as it would undermine the entire reason for having them go a different route :)

And I hope you didn't misinterpret me either. While I mentioned the side entrance because it was brought up earlier in the thread, I was trying to confirm that even though you can find them coming out elsewhere, you are still not going to be able to get autographs, take pictures because it wasn't allowed. So if you were happy to just go and "see" them, it is what it is.

itis2l84u Profile Photo
itis2l84u
#17Child Actors
Posted: 3/30/16 at 1:15pm

KathyNYC2 said: "I think you misinterpreted me, sorano... I wasn't saying the PRODUCERS were being sneaky, I was saying other people in the thread were suggesting alternate places where one might be able to catch up with the child actors and I was suggesting that there was probably a reason why they were trying to do things the way they were and therefore trying to find the kids in different locations wasn't necessarily the best course of action, as it would undermine the entire reason for having them go a different route :)

And I hope you didn't misinterpret me either. While I mentioned the side entrance because it was brought up earlier in the thread, I was trying to confirm that even though you can find them coming out elsewhere, you are still not going to be able to get autographs, take pictures because it wasn't allowed. So if you were happy to just go and "see" them, it is what it is.

"

I wouldn't suggest trying to see them honestly. The kids usually feel badly they aren't allowed to sign or take photos when someone asks for them. I would just respect the productions wishes to leave the children alone before and after the show. 

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#19Child Actors
Posted: 3/30/16 at 1:22pm

Cool beans all around, folks. :) Glad that we're all on the same page. Heh.

Out of curiosity (and this is slightly off topic of this thread), but in the past besides Annie and possibly Sound of Music, have there been Broadway shows with a large amount of child actors like Matilda, SOR, etc.? There are lots of talented child actors that have been in the shows and I'm rather curious how many of them will be back on Broadway in ten, twenty years from now. 

hedwigbway Profile Photo
hedwigbway
#20Child Actors
Posted: 3/30/16 at 3:26pm

sorano916 said: "Cool beans all around, folks. :) Glad that we're all on the same page. Heh.

Out of curiosity (and this is slightly off topic of this thread), but in the past besides Annie and possibly Sound of Music, have there been Broadway shows with a large amount of child actors like Matilda, SOR, etc.? There are lots of talented child actors that have been in the shows and I'm rather curious how many of them will be back on Broadway in ten, twenty years from now. 

"

13's cast and band consisted entirely of teenagers

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#21Child Actors
Posted: 3/30/16 at 4:11pm

hedwigbway said: "sorano916 said: "Cool beans all around, folks. :) Glad that we're all on the same page. Heh.

Out of curiosity (and this is slightly off topic of this thread), but in the past besides Annie and possibly Sound of Music, have there been Broadway shows with a large amount of child actors like Matilda, SOR, etc.? There are lots of talented child actors that have been in the shows and I'm rather curious how many of them will be back on Broadway in ten, twenty years from now. "

13's cast and band consisted entirely of teenagers"

Wow... major brain fart... totally forgot about 13 and Billy Elliot...

itis2l84u Profile Photo
itis2l84u
#23Child Actors
Posted: 3/30/16 at 4:26pm

The King and I has a bunch of kids in it as well as A Christmas Story. I can't think of anything else that hasn't already been mentioned. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory will have a good deal of kids in it though when it opens up.

Call_me_jorge
#24Child Actors
Posted: 3/30/16 at 5:03pm

If the children aren't from NYC do the producers set up a place for them? Or is that something the parents have to work out? 

JM226
#25Child Actors
Posted: 3/30/16 at 5:21pm

parents are responsible for housing and accommodations. that is why you typically only have children in shows who are from the tri-state area. i know of only ONE situation where housing was set up for the family of a billy elliot. but that is extremely rare and unique. 

itis2l84u Profile Photo
itis2l84u
#26Child Actors
Posted: 3/30/16 at 11:15pm

Call_me_jorge said: "If the children aren't from NYC do the producers set up a place for them? Or is that something the parents have to work out? 

"

It's entirely up to the parents to set up housing for their children. I'm most familiar with Matilda so I can only give examples from there but I know lots of the Matildas are from the tri-state area and commute from home. Many of the out of state Matildas rent apartments in the city and move home after they're done being in the show. I remember one Matilda, Gabby Pizzolo, bounced around from relative to relative who all lived on statan island. 

I highly recommend reading this article from 2013 featuring kids from Matilda, Annie, Kinky Boots, and a few other shows. It talks a lot about this type of stuff and also about Matilda's strict policies with their children. http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/06/02/theater/nine-broadway-shows-feature-child-actors.html?_r=0&referer=https://www.google.com/

Fosse76
#27Child Actors
Posted: 3/31/16 at 12:46am

sorano916 said: "Cool beans all around, folks. :) Glad that we're all on the same page. Heh.

Out of curiosity (and this is slightly off topic of this thread), but in the past besides Annie and possibly Sound of Music, have there been Broadway shows with a large amount of child actors like Matilda, SOR, etc.?
"

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Billy Elliot, which had a lot of kids in the cast (either the same number or slightly more than Matilda).

Videos