News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

A Chorus Line movie

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1A Chorus Line movie
Posted: 11/3/23 at 5:14pm

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2A Chorus Line movie
Posted: 11/3/23 at 5:17pm

Michelle Johnston (Bebe) talks about her audition for the movie and the hate the movie got afterwards. The movie rarely gets talked about these days, so this was a nice segment. But Johnston never had a stage career despite being an amazing dancer.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#3A Chorus Line movie
Posted: 11/3/23 at 5:25pm

It’s a truly wretched film.

jimmycurry01
#4A Chorus Line movie
Posted: 11/3/23 at 5:55pm

This is definitely one of the top five worst stage to film adaptations for a musical. It completely missed the mark in nearly every way, which is sad; it could have been so good. 

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#5A Chorus Line movie
Posted: 11/3/23 at 6:09pm

Disappointing to hear cast members refer to "Sir" Richard. Why do they demean themselves like that? They're American.

Anyway, I kinda liked this movie for what it is. Absolutely NOT a film that does justice to the source material, but still enjoyable. "Sir" Richard was most certainly not the right person for the job. I genuinely wonder if the reverence shown him due to his title is what got it for him.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#6A Chorus Line movie
Posted: 11/3/23 at 6:47pm

There's other segments on that YouTube channel where Jan Gan Boyd and Cameron talk more about it. The constant theme is they felt the movie was good but people disliked it because it wasn't true to the stage version. Never once does anyone mention Michael Bennett.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#7A Chorus Line movie
Posted: 11/3/23 at 7:18pm

I wish Spielberg had done a remake of Chorus Line instead of WSS, which already had a good film version. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#8A Chorus Line movie
Posted: 11/3/23 at 7:40pm

The film is absolutely awful. I love it. 

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#9A Chorus Line movie
Posted: 11/3/23 at 7:52pm

If ever a source material was a candidate for the mockumentary/talking head style, it’s this one. I’m frankly surprised it hasn’t been attempted.

Jay Lerner-Z
#10A Chorus Line movie
Posted: 11/3/23 at 8:24pm

The 1961 West Side Story was a good film, yeah, but I still think the Spielberg version was worth doing. An updated modern depiction of the cultures they were depicting was reason enough to justify it. Nothing to stop (Sir*) Steven doing both, of course, although he has probably crossed "musical" off his professional bucket list now.

* Honorary knighthood, 2001

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#11A Chorus Line movie
Posted: 11/3/23 at 8:34pm

Yeah, It's surprising that this is the first interview of three cast members from the film in almost 20 years. However, the three cast members interviewed here, this was there top moment as an actor/actress. None have any Broadway credits.

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#12A Chorus Line movie
Posted: 11/3/23 at 8:34pm

Has there been any movement on the Ryan Murphy miniseries adaption of A Chorus Line? Or it that pretty much dead in the water?

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#13A Chorus Line movie
Posted: 11/3/23 at 9:50pm

Plannietink08 said: "Has there been any movement on the Ryan Murphy miniseries adaption of A Chorus Line? Or it that pretty much dead in the water?"

It appears DOA.

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#14A Chorus Line movie
Posted: 11/3/23 at 10:27pm

As an act of self hatred I suppose, I recently rewatched this film.  It was even worse than I remembered - truly wretched - but not bad enough to become good again. 

Jarethan
#15A Chorus Line movie
Posted: 11/3/23 at 11:20pm

Idiot said: "As an act of self hatred I suppose, I recently rewatched this film. It was even worse than I remembered - truly wretched - but not bad enough to become good again."

I remember hating the movie, but I was never wild about the show in the first place, as I thought Chicago was head and shoulders about it.

I have no desire to ever see the movie again, but I can’t remember why I hated ot so much.  Can you summarize what was SOOOO bad about it.

Islander_fan
#16A Chorus Line movie
Posted: 11/3/23 at 11:43pm

This movie was beyond laughable. Anyone else remember the final scene where the dancer falls flat on their ass during the finale kick line and they kept going. I am surprised that that didn’t get edited out or even made the Final Cut for that matter. 

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#17A Chorus Line movie
Posted: 11/4/23 at 12:16am

Would Thomas Kail pick up a project like this? His work on Fosse/Verdon was incredible. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#18A Chorus Line movie
Posted: 11/4/23 at 9:27am

Jarethan said: "Idiot said: "As an act of self hatred I suppose, I recently rewatched this film. It was even worse than I remembered - truly wretched - but not bad enough to become good again."

I remember hating the movie, but I was never wild about the show in the first place, as I thought Chicago was head and shoulders about it.

I have no desire to ever see the movie again, but I can’t remember why I hated ot so much. Can you summarize what was SOOOO bad about it.
"

I thought the opening was fine. the choreo was suitable for the time period. Once Mike started swinging from the ropes for "I Can Do That" it was over. "At The Ballet" was butchered, though Vicki Frederick was a solid Sheila. "Sing" was cut, the majority of the "Montage" was cut and replaced with "Surprise". Judy, Connie, and Don all had their "solos" trimmed down to a short monologue. "Surprise" was a showcase for Gregg Burge to show off his dancing. 

But it gets worse. Audrey Landers couldn't dance and DeeLee Lively (the current Val on Bway) refused to be her dance double. Landers is barely seen in the opening and during "Surprise". No "Music & The Mirror". It's replaced with "Let Me Dance For You", and then "What I Did For Love" ends up as a solo for Cassie as she climbs four flights of stairs to nowhere. The "One: Rehearsal", the "Alternatives" scene and the finale (One) were a hot mess of cinematic garbage.

Jarethan
#19A Chorus Line movie
Posted: 11/4/23 at 10:38am

Thanks.  I remember thinking that Richard Attenborough was the worst choice they could have come up with to direct it.  I completely forgot about The Music and the Mirror…but I did remember hating it.

Jay Lerner-Z
#20A Chorus Line movie
Posted: 11/4/23 at 11:52am

The Chorus Line episode of Ally McBeal was probably better than this movie.

Just watch Jane Krakowski's version of The Music and the Mirror.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#21A Chorus Line movie
Posted: 11/4/23 at 12:06pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: "The Chorus Line episode of Ally McBeal was probably better than this movie.

Just watch Jane Krakowski's version of The Music and the Mirror.

ehhh. The choreography for that was horrendous. I wonder if Jane would be able to pull off the original Cassie choreo though?

"

Jay Lerner-Z
#22A Chorus Line movie
Posted: 11/4/23 at 12:16pm

Well a weekly television show probably does not have the same resources or rehearsal time... but I still think it is pretty wonderful. Jane makes it shine.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#23A Chorus Line movie
Posted: 11/4/23 at 12:25pm

It's an awful movie.

The first 5 minutes of Bob Fosse's ALL THAT JAZZ is a better adaptation of A CHORUS LINE than anything Sir Richard put on screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2e9acreKmQ

KMKJ
#24A Chorus Line movie
Posted: 11/4/23 at 1:11pm

Johnston was a replacement in the FOSSE tour; I always wondered if she covered the "Trumpet Solo"...because it would've been lit.

We also get a small glimpse of her ferocity on screen in Showgirls.  Gay, the (brown rice & vegetable pushin') Line Captain!!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#25A Chorus Line movie
Posted: 11/4/23 at 1:19pm

If I remember correctly, they also did a terrible job filming the dancing itself.

I also hated the revival, but the documentary behind the casting was fabulous. (Every Little Step)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Videos