News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2007 Tony Award Performances- Page 4

2007 Tony Award Performances

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#75re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 11:30pm

Sometimes I wake from nightmares
and learn a lot.

Mojojo5 Profile Photo
Mojojo5
#76re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/30/07 at 4:32pm

BEST MUSICAL CANDIDATES:

CURTAINS
Want: "It's a Business" or "Thataway"
Will: "Show People"

GREY GARDENS
Want: a medley of "Five Fifteen", "The Cake I Had", "Around the World"
Will: "The Revolutionary Costume for Today"

LEGALLY BLONDE
Want: "What You Want" or "So Much Better"
Will: "What You Want" or "Ohmigod You Guys"

LOVEMUSIK
Want: "Speak Low"
Will: "Speak Low"

MARTIN SHORT: FAME BECOMES ME
Want: "Big Black Lady Stops the Show"
Will: "Big Black Lady Stops the Show"

MARY POPPINS
Want: "Step in Time"
Will: "Supercali..."

SPRING AWAKENING
Want: "Touch Me"
Will: "Bitch of Living"

BEST REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL CANDIDATES:

110 IN THE SHADE
Want: "Old Maid"
Will: "Raunchy"

A CHORUS LINE
Want: "God, I Hope I Get It"
Will: "One"

COMPANY
Want: "Side By Side By Side"
Will: "Being Alive"

LES MISERABLES
Want: "I Dreamed a Dream" with Lea
Will: "One Day More"

THE APPLE TREE
Want: Barbara Harris' "Gorgeous"
Will: Kristin Chenoweth's "Gorgeous"

Z.

"You're not a kid anymore, Robby. I don't think you'll ever be a kid again, kiddo." - Joanne, Company

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#77re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 5/2/07 at 9:14pm

I thought of a great idea for a Mary Poppins performance if it is nominated for Best Musical. It would start with Gavin Lee and the ensemble singing a shortened version of "Let's Go Fly a Kite" with the kite flying intact. Then, Ashley Brown would come in on the kite string like she does in the show. Then, she and the children can sing some of "Practically Perfect". This would accomplish all of the following:

-Both Ashley and Gavin can sing
-They would sing some old music and some new music
-Small offering of the special effects

What do you think?

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#78re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 5/2/07 at 9:17pm

I don't think GG is going to do REVOLUTIONARY COSTUME.

Christine performed it on the Drama Desks last year - and usually shows perform a different song than they did on the Drama Desk. I think they will want to feature more of the company for the Tony performance.

And I agree, I don't think Raul should do BEING ALIVE on the Tonys. Should do the title number - perfect. Updated On: 5/2/07 at 09:17 PM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#79re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 5/2/07 at 9:20pm

The Five-Fifteen, maybe?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Elphie3 Profile Photo
Elphie3
#80re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 5/2/07 at 9:24pm

I don't think it's the best choice, but I think they'll do "Legally Blonde" for Legally Blonde. I'm hoping for "Totally F*cked" for Spring Awakening - esp. b/c it's the only song that involves the whole cast.

Do you think Coram Boy might do a number? Are the plays doing anything?

Madame Morrible: "So you take the chicken, now it must be a white chicken. The corpse can be any color. And that is the spell for lost luggage!" - The Yellow Brick Road Not Taken

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#81re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 5/2/07 at 9:26pm

I don't think they could do Totally F*cked. The Bitch of Living is already pushing it for TV.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#82re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 5/2/07 at 9:27pm

Legally Blonde or Legally Blonde Remix. Remix would be good. I would push for What You Want more.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#83re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 5/2/07 at 9:37pm

"- esp. b/c it's the only song that involves the whole cast. "

Actually Gallagher is the only person not in Totally F*CKed but Song Of Purple Summer and Touch Me all involve the whole cast.
Updated On: 5/2/07 at 09:37 PM

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#84re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 5/2/07 at 10:07pm

I can't believe I'm the first person pointing this out. But if Dirty Rotten Scoundrels wasn't allowed to say hummer during Great Big Stuff. Spring Awakening will not be allowed to say Bitch or F*CKed. So why would they perform the song if every fourth word is going to be bleeped out?

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#85re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 5/2/07 at 10:25pm

"Bitch of Living" will be allowed on network tv. They've been performing it at every show they've been on (I saw them do it on "Letterman")

Becoz_i_knew_you21
#86re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 5/3/07 at 12:07am

"They've been performing it at every show they've been on (I saw them do it on "Letterman")"

They've only done Bitch Of Living on Letterman. To the other poster, the word bitch is not bleeped on TV. Updated On: 5/3/07 at 12:07 AM

mattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
#87re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 5/3/07 at 12:14am

I wouldn't be surprised if they opened the Tony's with "Company" and bring out all the presenters a la:
"Phone rings, door chimes, in comes company...
Ladies and Gentlemen, Swoosie Kurtz and Ben Stiller.
No strings, good times, just chums company...
Bea Arthur and Kevin Kline"

just an example of how the cheesy opening number could work.

I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#88re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 5/3/07 at 9:07am

I don't think GG is going to do REVOLUTIONARY COSTUME.

Christine performed it on the Drama Desks last year - and usually shows perform a different song than they did on the Drama Desk. I think they will want to feature more of the company for the Tony performance.

Yes, but most of those are with her as Edith and what she's been praised for the most is her portrayal of Little Edie (not that I don't love her performance as Edith.). I think they'll do a medley of "Entering Grey Gardens" and either "Around the World" or "Another Winter in a Summer Town". (THe latter is more likely considering the trouble she had when she did "Around the World" on the morning show.)

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#89re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 5/3/07 at 12:32pm

for spring awakening, all the good performance songs have what would be considered profanity for TV, and it would completely ruin the performance if they had to either change the words [which i highly doubt] or having them be bleeped-out on-air.
because i remember on a video on this site when the cast was at virgin mega, they said that they were pretty much forbidden to do totally f*cked anywhere but the eugene o'neill. and i don't know if they would be allowed to do that one of b*tch of living for a national audience. which actually is a crying shame, because those are wonderful pieces.

ugh. =(

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#90re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 5/3/07 at 1:32pm

The Times: "Everything is Broken"

High Fidelity: "Number Five with a Bullet" or "Cryin' in the Rain"

gymdudeva
#91re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 5/3/07 at 1:35pm

For SA, they should do "Bitch of Living" and find a way to segue into "Purple Summer". Or the other way around. That would be a nice contrast. I remember that Rent did "Seasons of Love" then went right into "La Vie Boheme" it it worked great.

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#92re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 5/3/07 at 5:23pm

Well, I have searched online and it seems that they have ONLY performed "Bitch of Living" on Letterman which is a late night show, so children who shouldn't be hearing bad words are alseep. The tony awards, however, are at 8pm and aren't going to be rated "M for Mature Audiences" which would lose viewers. But we'll just have to wait and see.

broadwayguy2
#93re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 5/3/07 at 5:26pm

John, turn on any network station during the day time. The word 'bitch' gets tossed around on daytime soaps more than a stripper's fake breats.

istillbelieve24601 Profile Photo
istillbelieve24601
#94re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 5/3/07 at 8:19pm

I'd love to see Lea do I Dreamed A Dream. But I really doubt they would do that, since she's not elgible for any award. DRV probably wouldn't like it, either. Now, if Lea had been cast originally in the role and recieved a Best Featured Actress nod (which she most likely would have)... I would have a legal recording of her IDAD.

I'm personally praying for Do You Hear the People Sing?, but the regular version (not the finale version.) Aaron's probably the best actor who was in the revival besides Lea and they definitely need to showcase the best they could.

Cosette: Roses are red. Marius: Violets are blue. Eponine: You're so in love! Marius: And so not with you.

Becoz_i_knew_you21
#95re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 5/3/07 at 8:39pm

I will possibly bet money that Spring Awakening will do Touch Me.

VIETgrlTerifa
#96re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 5/5/07 at 2:37am

I'd love to see Lea do I Dreamed A Dream. But I really doubt they would do that, since she's not elgible for any award. DRV probably wouldn't like it, either

Why would DRV's opinion matter?

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#97re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 5/5/07 at 8:57am

Since the Tony Awards performances are basically introductory "commercials" to get a (marginally) wider audience interested in seeing their show... I think they'll want the TV audiences to see the stars (if their are any) and give them the most user-friendly music to chew on.

With that in mind:

Grey Gardens - Another Winter in a Summer Town (with a quick montage beforehand showing brief scenes/songs from both acts).

Chorus Line - One

Mary Poppins - Step In Time

Spring Awakening - Bitch of Living

Company - Being Alive (with a quick intro first of the title song featuring the whole cast)

Les Mis - One Day More (yes, they did that one before)

Curtains - Tough Act to Follow (they're going to want to show David Hyde Pierce, no question)

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 5/5/07 at 08:57 AM

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#98re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 5/5/07 at 9:03am

I think for Grey Gardens, they should do what they originally did at Playwrights for "Another Winter...". The original staging was the cast doing "Choose to be Happy" while Little Edie was fleeing the house. The music and the singing swelled to what was going to be a loud climax, when it stopped abruptly and all of the lights went out except for a spotlight on Little Edie, downstage, clinging to her suitcase and crying, and then went into "Another Winter in a Summer Town".

I think the Tony performance should be something like that. Maybe the last 30 seconds of Little/Big Edie's catfight, into a verse or two of "Choose to Be Happy" into "Another Winter in a Summer Town".

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#99re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 5/5/07 at 9:04am

Does anyone have anything to say about my idea?

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

Videos