News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2007 Tony Award Performances- Page 2

2007 Tony Award Performances

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#25re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 12:50pm

You can see Kristen singing "Gorgeous" on bluegobo.com. re: 2007 Tony Award Performances

<<--Hey, look at that! I'm a legend!
Updated On: 4/29/07 at 12:50 PM

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#26re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 12:58pm

umm LB would NEVER do "Letter to Harvard." I think it depends what its nominated for. I think that "What You Want" would be a good one too.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Thesbijean
#27re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 1:33pm

Are you guys kidding me about COMPANY doing Being Alive? That will be the most boring number on TV in Tony history if that's what they do. Of course they'll do the opening of the show.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#28re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 1:36pm

I wouldn't be too sure.

The opening number isn't heart-stopingly exhilerating, either. Plus it would give away the ENTIRE opening scene.

I honestly think they'll do a SWEENEY-like montage.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#29re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 1:38pm

ugh. I hope not.

Okay, part of the opening into Marry Me a Little wouldn't be bad. Updated On: 4/29/07 at 01:38 PM

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#30re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 1:44pm

Oh, I hope they don't do a medley for Company. With that staging concept, the transitions can't be anything but awkward. I disagree about Being Alive being boring, but I also don't think they'll realistically do it.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#31re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 1:46pm

Yeah, I hope they don't do a medley either. The Sweeney one didn't work for me. They should pick one number.

I don't necessarily think they SHOULD do Being Alive. It's a beautiful song, but I don't think it's nearly as exhilarating out-of-context. It works because it's earned its impact when you've been inside Bobby's head for the past two hours and however long. I think it could happen, though. If Raul wins, the fact that they have a Tony-winner playing the lead might be what gets the show through the summer; people would likely be going, at that point, to see him. I suppose if he were the one people saw performing on TV, that could help.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#32re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 2:33pm

Given Company's low grosses, I think the producers should put the best number on the Tonys, which would be "Being Alive," and not worry so much about giving away the end. Many shows have done the climactic number (Rose's Turn, Lot's Wife, etc). If the Tony performance doesn't attract ticket buyers, there won't be a show around to give away the end to.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#33re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 2:37pm

I'm also crossing my fingers that they don't do a medley. Medleys have never worked for me.
I don't know why people are speculating about some shows, it's not like every single musical of the season gets to perform. Only those picked for BEST MUSICAL and BEST REVIVAL.
Expect LES MISERABLES to be left out of the revival category (unless the voters REALLY hated THE APPLE TREE) which means Lea Salonga won't be singing "I Dreamed a Dream" and they will not be doing "One Day More."
I know most people want Chenoweth to perform "Movie Star/Gorgeous" like Barbara Harris did, but since we already have that segment with Harris, I think she should do either the "I Got What You Want/Tiger,Tiger" sequence or if they want something short just to showcase Chenoweth they should let her sing her beautiful "What Makes Me Love Him."
Christine Ebersole did "The Revolutionary Costume for Today" at the Drama Desk last year, I'm not sure they'd want to pass the chance of showcasing the more comedic aspects of the show to appeal to a mainstream audience while showing Ebersole's brilliance in the role. Perhaps they'll do "Entering Grey Gardens" as well, I just don't see them doing "Around the World" as much as I love that number. Any chances they'll do a medley to add Mary-Louise Wilson to the pack?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#34re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 3:20pm

GREY GARDENS
Want: Around the World
Will: Revolutionary Costume

LEGALLY BLONDE
Want: So Much Better
Will: Omigod You Guys

MARY POPPINS
Want: Step in Time or Anything Can Happen
Will: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

SPRING AWAKENING
Want: Medley of Mamma Who Bore Me, All That's Known, and I Don't Do Sadness
Will: The B*tch of Living

THE PIRATE QUEEN
Want: I'll Be There
Will: Some kind of medley

A CHORUS LINE
Want: What I Did For Love
Will: I Hope I Get It

COMPANY
Want: Side By Side
Will: Some kind of medley

LES MISERABLES
Want: Medley of Who Am I, I Dreamed a Dream, On My Own, Stars, One Day More (like that will ever happen)
Will: One Day More

THE APPLE TREE
Want: Medley of Beautiful World, The Apple Tree, and What Makes Me Love Him
Will: Gorgeous

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

augustine73 Profile Photo
augustine73
#35re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 3:27pm

i wanna see lea salonga doing a solo for 'i dream a dream'.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#36re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 3:31pm

About GG (here I go again)-They probably will want to do a medley to feature everyone in the cast. Also, as someone pointed out "Revolutionary Costume" is an odd number for people who don't know the story. Something tells me they'll do a medley including "Another Winter in a Summer Town". (Maybe they'll do "You're Entering Grey Gardens" then go into "Another Winter in a Summer Town".
I just think they'll want to get that song in because of her remarkable performance of it.
(Around the World is my favorite, but I doubt they'll be doing it on national television again unless the beginning and middle monologues are eliminated.)

Curtains: Will do "Show People" I wish they'd do "I Miss the Music," but it features one performer and not everyone.

Mary Poppins: Will do: Step in Time-most glitzy piece Wish they'd do: Anything Can Happen

Spring Awakening: Will do: Bitch of Living
Should do: Medley of Mama Who Bore Me, Song of Purple Summer

can't comment on others
Apple tree-did see-Goregous-will and want

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#37re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 3:34pm

I don't know about Another Winter. I don't know if that would make much sense outside the show.

I was actually thinking maybe they'd do something from the first act, since they're the "happier" songs and will sell well. Maybe "Peas in a Pod", if Erin is nominated.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#38re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 3:38pm

"Another Winter" works outside the context of the show and it's the big number. Also-if they do anything from Act I, it'll be "The Five Fifteen" or "Will You?", I think. I doubt they'll do anything from Act I, though, because Christine Ebersole's Little Edie and Mary Louise's Big Edie are what all the talk is about.
(I wish they could find a way to do something from each act, but it's too hard.)

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#39re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 3:38pm

Actually, a medley of "You're entering Grey Gardens," "Daddy's Girl," "Jery Likes My Corn," and "Another Winter" would be awesome! Or something like that.

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

ashley0139
#40re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 3:42pm

I was actually thinking maybe they'd do something from the first act, since they're the "happier" songs and will sell well. Maybe "Peas in a Pod", if Erin is nominated.

That would make Ashley very happy. re: 2007 Tony Award Performances Them showcasing Erin and Christine, while not likely, would be ideal.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#41re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 3:48pm

If they did a medley of five songs, then they'd get to sing about one line from each. I believe they get about 4 minutes to perform the number which is why sometimes a lot of numbers get trimmed (I'm still annoyed that "Lot's Wife" and "Swing" had to be trimmed in the '04 ceremony...talk about beating a dead horse).
I think there is almost no way that GREY GARDENS won't do a number featuring Christine Ebersole's Little Edie. It's just not going to happen. Now, if Erin Davie got to perform one of her three songs, I'd be quite the happy camper...and if they do "Another Winter in a Summer Town" I hope they show that heartbreaking moment with Davie putting on her scarve and running behind Ebersole as she sings. It's one of the most heart-wrenching moments I've experienced in theater...kudos to Greif's staging, by the way.
Act I songs may be "happier" but Act II is what will bring people to the show.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

neddyfrank2
#42re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 3:52pm

For Company I think if Barbra Walsh is nominated they will throw Ladies Who Lunch into the medly and/or if Heather Laws is nominated they will throw in Getting Married Today.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#43re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 4:11pm

I think Walsh will be nominated, and they'll do "Ladies Who Lunch" and "Being Alive". (Did see it-she and Raul were the standouts, IMO.)

I think there is almost no way that GREY GARDENS won't do a number featuring Christine Ebersole's Little Edie. It's just not going to happen.
-exactly-her Little Edie (although "Hominy Grits" is a guilty pleasure of mine!) is unreal.
Still say "Another Winter" is the one they'll choose.
Just my gut.

BDavis0092
#44re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 4:31pm

Spring Awakening will most likely be doing The B*tch of Living. Although I wouldn't mind seeing Touch Me.

Curtains will most likely do Thataway. Though it's not my favorite song.

www.youtube.com/BwayNY225

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#45re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 4:44pm

I think Spring Awakening will most likely do Touch Me not Bitch Of Living. Touch Me is a whole ensemble number and Duncan has said that Touch Me is his favorite song in the show.

Curtains will more than likely be doing Show People. Updated On: 4/29/07 at 04:44 PM

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#46re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 6:09pm

I thought at first that Spring Awakening would end up doing Song of Purple Summer, but it seems like they're trying to stay away from that. I agree with Becoz about them probably doing Bitch of Living or Touch Me. Out of the two, I would choose Bitch of Living because it better represents the show, but then again many people would be put off by it.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#47re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 6:16pm

It's also just the boys... they might want to choose something that involves the whole cast.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

carymetorent2 Profile Photo
carymetorent2
#48re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 6:25pm

Theatredude, I do believe that by saying "Letter to Harvard" they meant "What You Want." There is no song called "letter to Harvard" so you saying there is "no way" they would do it kind of makes no sense. Elle's admissions essay is within "What You Want" so I would assume that's what they were referring to.

Also, does the performance kind of base itself off the other nominations a show gets?

For example, if Orfeh scores a nomination and Laura Bell does not, perhaps they will be more inclined to do "Bend and Snap" to showcase Orfeh. I don't know if that's how it works, but it makes sense to me. Or if Jerry Mitchell gets a choreography nod, "What You Want" would be a good choice.

As for "Mary Poppins," they perform "Supercali" at all the major appearances they do. It showcases Ashley and Gavin and the superb choreography, but if Ashley does not get a nomination, I wonder if that would push them to do "Step in Time" because I am almost positive a Tony nom is in the works for Gavin.

"Less Of A Marilyn, More Of A Jackie" www.richardhblake.com

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#49re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 6:27pm

Regardless if anyone gets a nom. for Mary Poppins, they'd still do "Supercali..." because it's the most recognizable song from the show. Plus, I don't know if they could do Gavin's dance on the ceiling at Radio City.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Videos