News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

2007 Tony Award Performances

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#12007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 2:21am

For each musical that is eligible to be nominated, choose which number you would WANT America to watch and which one you think WILL be chosen:

BEST MUSICAL CANDIDATES:

CURTAINS
DR. SEUSS' HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS
GREY GARDENS
HIGH FIDELITY
LEGALLY BLONDE
LOVEMUSIK
MARTIN SHORT: FAME BECOMES ME
MARY POPPINS
SPRING AWAKENING
THE PIRATE QUEEN
THE TIMES THEY ARE A CHANGIN'

BEST REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL CANDIDATES:

110 IN THE SHADE
A CHORUS LINE
COMPANY
LES MISERABLES
THE APPLE TREE

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 2:24am

shouldn't we assume the shows that have closed would not be performing?

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#2re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 2:34am

Curtains- I hope they'd do "It's a Business". I think they'd do "A Tough Act To Follow".

Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch...- I hope and think they'd do "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch".

Grey Gardens- I hope and think they'd do "The Revolutionary Costume for Today".

High Fidelity- Don't know the music, can't comment.

Legally Blonde- I would hope they'd do "Whipped Into Shape". I think they'd do "Omigod You Guys".

Lovemusik- I think and hope they do "September Song".

Martin Short- I hope and think they do "Stop the Show".

Mary Poppins- I hope they'd do "Step in Time". I think they'd do "Supercalli...".

Spring Awakening- I hope they'd do "Don't Do Sadness/Blue Wind". I they'd do "The Bitch of Living".

The Pirate Queen- Don't know music, can't comment.

The Times...- Don't know music, can't comment.

110 in the Shade- Don't know music, can't comment.

A Chorus Line- I hope they'd do "God, I Hope I Get It". I think they'd do "One".

Company- I hope they'd do "Company". I think they'd do "Being Alive".

Les Miserables- I think and hope they'd do "One Day More".

The Apple Tree- "I hope and think they'd do "Gorgeous".

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#3re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 2:40am

CURTAINS
Want: "Tough Act To Follow"
Will: "Thataway"

GREY GARDENS
Want: "Your Entering Grey Gardens/Around the World"
Will "The Revolutionary Costume For Today"

HIGH FIDELITY
I don't remember any stand-out numbers.

MARTIN SHORT: FAME BECOMES ME
Want: "A Big Black Lady Stops The Show"
Will: "A Big Black Lady Stops The Show"

MARY POPPINS
Want: "Temper, Temper"
Will: "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"

SPRING AWAKENING
Want: "Totally F****d"
Will: "The B*tch of Living"

THE PIRATE QUEEN
I don't remember which numbers were the stand-outs.

A CHORUS LINE
Want: "Gimme the Ball"
Will: "I Hope I Get It"

COMPANY
Want: "Being Alive"
Will: "Being Alive"

LES MISERABLES
Want: "Master of the House"
Will: "Do You Hear The People Sing?"

THE APPLE TREE
Want: I really couldn't care less. They couldn't choose a number that would make me interested.
Will: Probably the same one they did at the Tonys from the original production.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#4re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 2:42am

CATSNY - I would assume so, too. EXCEPT, it has happened in the past where shows that closed did perform. The only shows that have closed that, if nominated, would perform I would think would be MARTIN SHORT: FAME BECOMES ME. But it's very possible they wouldn't.

--Aristotle

wonderfulwizard11
#5re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 2:44am

Wasn't there a rule instated that said closed shows couldn't perform?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

commasplice
#6re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 2:45am

High Fidelity and Martin Short won't be eligible (nor the Grinch or the Times, but I don't think anyone's expecting them to get Best Musical noms). Not sure about the Apple Tree - I forget how long the gap between a show's closing and the Tonys has to be for it to be ineligible (3 months, maybe?).
Updated On: 4/29/07 at 02:45 AM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#7re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 2:56am

Well, not too long ago there was the BIG RIVER controversy and PACIFIC OVERTURES didn't perform either the year it was nominated so I assume THE APPLE TREE might not perform unless they want Chenoweth to do some of her magic during the ceremony.
From the shows that have a chance of getting a nomination I'd like to see:
CURTAINS- "A Tough Act to Follow" though they'll probably do "Show People."
LEGALLY BLONDE- Anything but that ridiculously painful opening song.
LOVEMUSIK- "Surabaya Johnny" though they'll probably do "Speak Low."
GREY GARDENS- I highly doubt Ebersole won't be doing "The Revolutionary Costume for Today."
SPRING AWAKENING- Guess they'll do "Bitch of Living."
MARY POPPINS- Don't care one way or the other.
A CHORUS LINE- "What I Did For Love" but they'll probably do "I Hope I Get It" or "One" or a medley.
COMPANY- Please don't do a medley. Would love it if they did the "Side by Side/What Would We Do Without You?" sequence but they might do "Marry Me A Little" or "Being Alive" to showcase Esparza before he wins.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 4/29/07 at 02:56 AM

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#8re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 2:56am

Wonderful wizard is right. Only shows that are open can perform. So...

Curtains- I hope they'd do "I Miss the Music" if Jason is nominated. I think they'd do "Show People" or "Thataway".

Grey Gardens- I hope and think they'd do something that features the enitre cast, but mostly Christine, like "The Five-Fifteen" maybe.

Legally Blonde- I would hope they'd do "Whipped Into Shape". I think they'll do the "Letter to Harvard" number.

Mary Poppins- I hope and thiknk they'd do "Step in Time".

Spring Awakening- I hope and think they'd do either "Don't Do Sadness/Blue Wind" or "My Junk"...probably the latter sincec it features everyone in the cast.

The Pirate Queen- If Stephanie is nominated, she'll do "Woman". Otherwise I hope they do "A Day Beyond Belclaire".

110 in the Shade- I hope and think they will do "Raunchy".

A Chorus Line- I hope they'd do part of "Hello Twelve, Hello Thirteen". I think they'd do "What I Did for Love".

Les Mis- I hope they do "On My Own", but they will do "One Day More".

Company- I hope they do "Getting Merried Today" but think they'd do "Company".
Updated On: 4/29/07 at 02:56 AM

neddyfrank2
#9re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 3:00am

CURTAINS- Show People

The rest really depends on who is nominated from each show.

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#10re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 3:01am

Curtains- I hope they'd do "It's a Business". I think they'd do "A Tough Act To Follow".

Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch...- I hope they'd have John Cullum onstage apologizing for appearing in this. I think they'd do "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch".

Grey Gardens- I hope they'd do "The Cake I Had." I think they'd do "The Revolutionary Costume for Today".

High Fidelity- I hope they'd do "I Slept With Someone (Who Slept with Lyle Lovett)." I think they'd do "Number Five with a Bullet."

Legally Blonde- I hope they'd refuse to perform any number, admitting that their show is fluff and doesn't deserve to be under consideration for awards. I think they'd do "Omigod You Guys".

Martin Short- I hope they do "A Big Black Lady Stops the Show". I think they'd do "Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba Broadway"

Mary Poppins- I have not and will not see it so I do not know any songs contained therein.

Spring Awakening- I hope they'd do "My Junk". I they'd do "The Bitch of Living".

The Pirate Queen- Have not and will not see.

The Times...- Did not see.

110 in the Shade- Have not seen yet.

A Chorus Line- I hope they'd do "Dance: Ten; Looks: Three". I think they'd do "I Hope I Get It".

Company- I hope they'd do "The Little Things You Do Together" or "Getting Married Today." I think they'd do "Marry Me a Little" or "Side by Side by Side."

Les Miserables- I think and hope they'd do "One Day More".

The Apple Tree- I honestly don't remember a number I enjoyed, but I think they'd probably do "Oh, to be a Movie Star."

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#11re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 3:02am

For some odd reason I'd really want Mary Poppins to perform "Practically Pefect"
Updated On: 4/29/07 at 03:02 AM

Crapgame13 Profile Photo
Crapgame13
#12re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 5:19am

Company- "Side by Side by Side."

Chorus Line- Medley

Les Miz- it would be a crime not to have Lea do "I Dreamed a Dream" just because One Day More's been done at the Tonys. I think they'll do "Bring Him Home/Do You Hear the People Sing" a la The View

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#13re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 7:26am

Pirate Queen: "Sail to the Stars"

Others I either can't comment on or have been mentioned already. :)

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!
Updated On: 4/29/07 at 07:26 AM

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#14re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 9:21am

Curtains:
Want: "A Tough Act to Follow"
Think: "Show People"

LoveMusik:
Want: "The Tango Ballad"
Think: "Speak Low"

Mary Poppins:
Want: "Let's Go Fly a Kite" or "Step in Time"
Think: "Step in Time", "Anything Can Happen", or "Super..."

A Chorus Line:
Want: "I Hope I Get It"
Think: "I Hope I Get It" or "One"

Company:
Want: "Sorry-Grateful" or The "Bobby" section of "Company"/"Marry Me A Little"
Think: "Company" or "Marry Me A Little"

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#15re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 9:48am

Typically the performances have something to do with the nominees/ winners. Look at past performances and winners and you'll find that most of them had the winners featured in the performance.

Well, at least the more recent Tony Awards do.

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#16re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 9:55am

Company:
Want: "Being Alive" (so much)
Think: "Company" or "Marry Me a Little"

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#17re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 10:10am

I think Company will do some kind of a "Company"/"Being Alive" medley.

I'm curious to see what Legally Blonde will do...

And I would be shocked if Les Miserables DIDN'T do One Day More (do you think they'll get back the original cast members of this production?)

ashley0139
#18re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 12:03pm

I hope Company DOESN'T do Being Alive. It's the beautiful, climactic ending to the show. I hope and don't think they want to give it away to the 15.4 or so viewers that actually care. That's why he hasn't been performing it at events like B&N. I think they'll at least put in Marry Me a Little though.

Others:

GREY GARDENS
Want: "Another Winter in a Summer Town"/something that features the cast
Will "The Revolutionary Costume For Today"

HIGH FIDELITY
Want: Last Real Record Store on Earth
Will: None, but if they did "Last Real Record Store on Earth" or "Desert Island All-time Top 5 Breakups"

MARY POPPINS
Want: "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"
Will: "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"

SPRING AWAKENING
Want: "Totally F****d"
Will: "The B*tch of Living"

THE PIRATE QUEEN
Want: "I'll Be There"
Will: "Sail to the Stars"

A CHORUS LINE
Want: "At the Ballet"
Will: Some kind of medley including "What I Did for Love" and "One"

COMPANY
Want: "Sorry Grateful"
Will: "Marry Me a Little" and hopefully a song that features the whole cast

LES MISERABLES
Want: "One Day More"
Will: "Do You Hear The People Sing?"

THE APPLE TREE
Want: "What Makes Me Love Him?"
Will: "Gorgeous"

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#19re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 12:06pm

A CHORUS LINE should do "One." It's the only song in this production that is flawless, though they might create the opening number like they did on the original Tonys.

GREY GARDENS should not do "The Revolutionary Costume." It's hardly the pinnacle of the show or the score, and it's an odd, odd, odd representation of the show for people who know nothing about it.

They'd be better off doing "Entering Grey Gardens" into "Around the World."

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#20re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 12:19pm

"They'd be better off doing "Entering Grey Gardens" into "Around the World."

WOW! Munk and I agree AGAIN on something! We're on a role, munky!

--Aristotle

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#21re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 12:36pm

re: Company: Raúl hasn't been doing Being Alive anywhere other than at the Barrymore because the powers that be don't want to "give it away." I wonder if they'll make an exception for the Tonys. If he's going to sing one of Bobby's big songs, I'd rather it be that than Marry Me a Little, because it's so much more powerful. I could see it being chosen because it does involve the rest of the cast, but I think in terms of selling the show to viewers, I'd hope to see the title song. It's so catchy and up-beat.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

munkustrap178
#22re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 12:42pm

I agree. Maybe they could do the opening "Bobby...bobby...etc." into "Marry Me a Little."

Or they could butcher things up like they did last year for SWEENEY and do "Company" into "The Little Things You Do Together" into "Marry Me a Little."

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

munkustrap178
#23re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 12:47pm

And I wish they would let Kristin Chenoweth perform something from THE APPLE TREE. I know the Tonys is just a giant commercial for Broadway, but they could at least give them a minute and a half. The show didn't have any sets anyway, so they wouldn't be spending anything.

But realistically, THE GRINCH, HJIGH FIDLITY, etc. will not be performing, so speculation is moot.

wonderfulwizard11
#24re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 12:48pm

I would love Kristin to perform "Movie Star/Gorgeous". I saw the original Tony performance, and I'd love to see what Kristin could do with it.

Videos