News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2007 Tony Award Performances- Page 3

2007 Tony Award Performances

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#50re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 6:31pm

I don't really see Curtains doing "A Tough Act to Follow." I think they'd do "Show People." It makes slightly more sense...it features most of the cast, plus it's a fun, feel-good number (not that "Tough Act to Follow" isn't...I just feel as if it is too big a showstopping number for them to perform at the Tonys, if that makes sense...I can't really explain).

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

thevolleyballer
#51re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 6:38pm

CURTAINS -- I'd want them to perform "Kansasland"; they will perform "Show People" or "It's A Business", though, without a doubt.

HIGH FIDELITY -- I'd want "The Last Record Store on Earth", and that's probably what they'd perform, if they actually were performing (which I doubt they are).

LEGALLY BLONDE -- I'd want "What You Want", but I'm sure they might perform "Bend and Snap" or "Omigod You Guys!"

MARTIN SHORT: FAME BECOMES ME -- "Stop The Show", without a doubt.

MARY POPPINS -- Of course, they'll perform "Supercali", since that's all they perform anyway.

A CHORUS LINE -- "What I Did For Love" or "I Hope I Get It" will probably be featured... unless they choose to do the segment of "Hello Twelve..." that they did on the Today Show a few months back.

LES MISERABLES -- "One Day More," I'm sure.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#52re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 6:49pm

Again, I very much doubt that LES MISERABLES will be nominated for Best Revival which means it won't be performing.
The performances really depend on what the producers/directors of the shows want people to see on stage.
GREY GARDENS and COMPANY, both shows that have been making most of their promotion based on their leading stars will inevitably try to showcase Ebersole and Esparza, respectively.
When the revival of LA CAGE got nominated (and won) for Best Choreography, they did a number that featured some of Jerry Mitchell's best stuff, so they might do the same with LEGALLY BLONDE.
It really depends. When Chenoweth got raves for YOU'RE A GOOD MAN, CHARLIE BROWN, they made sure that she got to perform her whole number on the Tonys and she had a featured role.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

willact4food Profile Photo
willact4food
#53re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 6:51pm

I personally think Spring Awakening will perform 'Touch Me'. It has the entire cast singing.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#54re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 7:01pm

A Chorus Line will do "One" if nominated.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#55re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 7:01pm

Yes, I agree. Now that I think about it, "Touch Me," minus the touching of oneself, will be the one.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

Becoz_i_knew_you21
#56re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 7:04pm

If they do Touch Me I think they will still do the full staging.

Blonde Profile Photo
Blonde
#57re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 7:04pm

curtains-show people. I hope they do and I think they will.

shalom kitty

RockabyeHamlet
#58re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 9:21pm

As much as I love "September Song," it is a duet between Lenya and Davis. Since Cerveris is a lock for a nomination, at least, I would imagine they would do a number featuring Weill. If one of the featured actors ( I would guess Pittu is the most likely,) is nominated, they may do a medly. The most likely scenario is if only Cerveris and Murphy are nominated, they will do "Speak Low," and if Pittu is also nominated, they may do "Alabama Song".

My reasoning for "Alabama Song," is not only is it the only song with all three of them, but it is also WELL known outside the theatre circle.

"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#59re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 9:44pm

Curtains I am quite sure will do A Tough Act to Follow. It showcases their big draw, David Hyde Pierce. I could be quite wrong though. It would be nice if they did a snippet of I Miss the Music, just for sentiment's sake. I'm sure there are a few people other than us that know the situation the creative team was put in after the unfortunate passing of Mr. Ebb.
Grey Gardens really should do Another Winter in a Summer Town. It's quite a sad number, but it's the best one in the show, but the big sell would be a little bit Entering Grey Gardens into Around the World. I must agree with everyone there.
Legally Blonde won't be nominated because it's terrible. Alright, that was a tad harsh. They might be. If they are, the opening number would be a terriblre suggestion. Anything but that.
I don't know what LoveMusik should do. The whole thing flowed so well, I can't think of a single outstanding number. Do the whole damned show!
And I haven't a clue for Spring Awakening either. I didn't particularly like it. I don't care.
Mary Poppins will not be nominated. I can't even pull the "that's harsh" card after saying that. It just won't be. There's not a reason in the world for it to be except for money.
As I sit here are write this, I am starting to worry. Should I be worried about the piece of crap Legally Blonde taking Grey Gardens' slot?

Becoz_i_knew_you21
#60re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 10:12pm

"As I sit here are write this, I am starting to worry. Should I be worried about the piece of crap Legally Blonde taking Grey Gardens' slot?"

I highly doubt Legally Blonde,if nominated, would kick out Grey Gardens,Spring Awakening, or Curtains.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#61re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 10:17pm

If anything, Blonde will knock out Lovemusik.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#62re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 10:59pm

Actually, after seeing LOVEMUSIK and reading BLONDE's reviews, I wouldn't be shocked if MARY POPPINS took the 4th slot.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#63re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 11:00pm

What did you think of Lovemusik, munk?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

munkustrap178
#64re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 11:03pm

I'll write a review later tonight.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

theminutepast
#65re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 11:04pm

Curious: For a musical like Les Mis, which now has replacements in it, who would perform at the Tony's? The replacements or the originals. I have a feeling it would be the replacements, which is disappointing IMO.

munkustrap178
#66re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 11:08pm

Yeah, because the original cast was so stellar...

theminutepast
#67re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 11:11pm

*Eye roll* We know that people either liked or disliked the revival; you don't need to say it for the millionth time. Please respond with something of more importance.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#68re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 11:11pm

THE TIMES THEY ARE A'CHANGIN'
will be doing
MASTERS OF WAR
which is one of the best sung and staged numbers I have seen on a Broadway stage.
(ducking from the rocks thrown at me)

I guess Tharp's choreography will be overlooked
oh well.....

munkustrap178
#69re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 11:15pm

theminutepast, you are a bit dim. I didn't say that I personally like or dislike the original cast. I was just pointing out that the general consensus is that the cast was one of the weak points. No reason to get all bent out of shape.

Curtain: Choreography?

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#70re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 11:16pm

Given Company's low grosses, I think the producers should put the best number on the Tonys, which would be "Being Alive," and not worry so much about giving away the end. Many shows have done the climactic number (Rose's Turn, Lot's Wife, etc). If the Tony performance doesn't attract ticket buyers, there won't be a show around to give away the end to.

Completely agree. I think there's something to be said for preserving the great performance/climactic number on the Tonys. People didn't stop seeing Dreamgirls because Jennifer Holliday performed "And I Am Telling You" on the Tonys (not that I'm comparing performances, but the flagship songs). And "Rose's Turn," etc. as mentioned.

munkustrap178
#71re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 11:20pm

But that's different. AIATY is what all of New York was buzzing about that night...of course they were going to do that.

Rose's Turn was a bit of a surprise announcement, but it worked very well and, when you think about it, there's nothing else that would have sold tickets.

While BEING ALIVE is every bit as moving and powerful as the two previously mentioned songs, it doesn't have a hummability to it that the others songs do - and it doesn't have a real WOW factor to it that will translate to tourist theatregoers.

I just don't think that BEING ALIVE - while spectacular - is an appropriate song to do at the Tonys. It's the big climax - the orgasm - the big realease and revelation for the show and for Bobby. They're not going to give that away on TV. At least they shouldn't.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#72re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 11:26pm

yes Munky
Choreography
Tharp may have had a mis step
but she still knows how to make dancers Dance
and the pictures she made in THE TIMES...
were quite wonderful
It's just what I think. after all
Updated On: 4/29/07 at 11:26 PM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#73re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 11:28pm

Curtainpulldowner i have to agree the choreography was great in that show(even though the show did stink)

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

munkustrap178
#74re: 2007 Tony Award Performances
Posted: 4/29/07 at 11:29pm

That show was such a nightmare.

Videos