News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

What do you think of this casting listing?- Page 2

What do you think of this casting listing?

FindingNamo
#25What do you think of this casting listing?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 10:20am

And it's a lie.

Choosing not to see race means you are not looking at people who aren't white.

Go to any predominantly minority neighborhood in any major American city and you'll hear the same stories: decades of being sworn at, thrown against walls and jailed for reasons that often don't even rise to the level of being stupid. Why? Because America loves to lie to itself about race.

Why Baltimore Blew Up

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none
Updated On: 5/26/15 at 10:20 AM

thommg Profile Photo
thommg
#26What do you think of this casting listing?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 10:52am

I would like to point out that by printing this description from Actors Access, which does not belong to you, you have violated your terms of service with Breakdown Services/Actors Access. The posting of this is illegal and this thread should be deleted as soon as possible.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#27What do you think of this casting listing?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 10:54am

"I just don't understand why we can't just ignore race and cast according to talent. Not looking to stir any trouble, just putting my opinion here."

In general, I agree.

In each and every instance of casting, I don't agree.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#28What do you think of this casting listing?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 11:17am

"I would like to point out that by printing this description from Actors Access, which does not belong to you, you have violated your terms of service with Breakdown Services/Actors Access. The posting of this is illegal and this thread should be deleted as soon as possible."

And while you are technically correct (I assume) the OP didn't post the audition info itself - just the descriptor, so he hasn't really released any pertinent  info.   

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#29What do you think of this casting listing?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 11:31am

It seems to me it's a random casting decision. They want anyone but a White person. That's incredibly random. It certainly isn't specific

You might want to brush up on the definitions of random and specific. 

songofendlesswondder
#30What do you think of this casting listing?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 1:17pm

I don't think it's fair to assume that all white people are racist. 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#31What do you think of this casting listing?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 1:19pm

Man, you are just hitting every bingo square.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

songofendlesswondder
#32What do you think of this casting listing?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 1:22pm

In general, I agree.

In each and every instance of casting, I don't agree.

I totally agree. There are definitely some exceptions to that rule! There are shows that are very specific to race like Ragtime, and the King and I. But there are certain shows that it just doesn't matter. Les Miserables for instance. I'm pretty sure any race could play Jean Valjean and it wouldn't be a huge deal. 

songofendlesswondder
#33What do you think of this casting listing?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 1:25pm

Only responding to what the people are saying. And I can say whatever I want because this is America. However, I choose not to act like an animal because I respect other people's opinions. It would be nice if I too were respected, even though my opinion seems to be the less popular one. 

FindingNamo
#34What do you think of this casting listing?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 1:26pm

Not only is it "fair" to say all white people are racist, it's accurate. It's input DNA. 

Complaining about something not being fair is second grade level stuff.  Racism isn't fair either. 

songofendlesswondder
#35What do you think of this casting listing?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 1:29pm

That is not even right. That's a stereotype if I ever saw one. And it's completely unfair. Just like any other racial stereotype is unfair. It's actually quite offensive actually.  

FindingNamo
#36What do you think of this casting listing?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 1:32pm

There you go again with "unfair."  

There's not a "stereotype" of white people being racist. 

I think you have a LOT of learning to do about how systems of oppression work. 

songofendlesswondder
#37What do you think of this casting listing?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 1:36pm

Is white a race? Then yes. You're "opinion" is a racial stereotype. If I were to say that all Latin Americans were illegal immigrants, that would be a racial stereotype. If I were to say that all African American black males were drug dealers and criminals, that would be a racial stereotype. You might say that those are assumptions made by an uneducated racist person. And your previous statement is exactly that. You are being racist too, but somehow it's justified because its directed towards white people? I find this very confusing.

songofendlesswondder
#38What do you think of this casting listing?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 1:38pm

Those stereotype examples were simply that, examples. I do not stand behind them, but simply provided them for example only.

FindingNamo
#39What do you think of this casting listing?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 1:41pm

It's funny the examples that leapt to your brain, isn't it?  

White people in this culture can not begin to address systemic racism until they look at their own racism, which ALL white people have. Looking at a black skinned man with an Afro and "not seeing race" is not only impossible, it's racist!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#40What do you think of this casting listing?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 1:54pm

Racism isn't actually a two-way street.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

CurtainsUpat8 Profile Photo
CurtainsUpat8
#41What do you think of this casting listing?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 1:58pm

Since I started this post may I chime in... I was only addressing the ONE sentence in that ONE casting call. I am not trying to debate all of racism in theatre or solve all the problems of racism in the world.

So getting back to the original post... do you think it's a good idea to write something like....
"all races are welcome but Latino people"

I think the majority of people would say that would not be acceptable... and it wouldn't be tolerated if it was Latinos instead of White. And it shouldn't be tolerated if the call excludes whites ONLY.  They should have just let people, ANYONE, submit and if they want to call in only minorities then they should feel free to do that... but you know what? they might have gotten one or two white guys that they would have wanted to see.

As for TOS of Actors Access... I just read through it and I don't see anything that says I am not able to share this information. If you can find it for me, please let me know.

Updated On: 5/26/15 at 01:58 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#42What do you think of this casting listing?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 2:00pm

"Not only is it "fair" to say all white people are racist, it's accurate. It's input DNA."

Including you, right?

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

songofendlesswondder
#43What do you think of this casting listing?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 2:05pm

CurtainsUp

I totally agree. And the original post could have at least been a little more sensitive at least. But apparently it's all okay if it's targeted towards white people.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#44What do you think of this casting listing?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 2:22pm

I never realized how hard it was to be a white American until I started posting on BWW.

Liza's Headband
#45What do you think of this casting listing?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 2:23pm

Does this mean that FindingNamo is a racist, as well? 

FindingNamo
#46What do you think of this casting listing?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 2:26pm

Yes, but I am committed to anti-racist work, the first step of which is to own my own racism. 

This is is an alien concept to you since you own nothing of yourself, including your own opinikns

CurtainsUpat8 Profile Photo
CurtainsUpat8
#47What do you think of this casting listing?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 2:29pm

There are a great deal of other qualities besides race which can disqualify you from a job in a show. The Rockettes only want girls of a certain height.... sometimes someone is looking for a blonde... and they don't want to see people with brown hair. We all know the list goes on and on.

FindingNamo
#48What do you think of this casting listing?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 2:30pm

You can't see the BIG difference between the two statements?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#49What do you think of this casting listing?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 2:36pm

"I think the majority of people would say that would not be acceptable... and it wouldn't be tolerated if it was Latinos instead of White. And it shouldn't be tolerated if the call excludes whites ONLY.  They should have just let people, ANYONE, submit and if they want to call in only minorities then they should feel free to do that... but you know what? they might have gotten one or two white guys that they would have wanted to see."

Stop it with your hypotheticals and false equivalencies. Just stop.

Also, they didn't want to see any white guys.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Videos