News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0

#1Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 9:41am

The show was Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812, which was quite good and which I recommend. The audience, on the other hand, was horrible — talking, using their phones, and making a general nuisance of themselves. It was bad enough that I seriously considered leaving during the intermission, something I’ve not done before. The main offenders were two parties of women of a certain age, the sad sort with too much makeup and too-high heels, and insufficient attention span for following a two-hour musical. But my date spoke with the theater management during the intermission, and they apologetically assured us that the situation would be remedied.

It was not. The lady seated to my immediate right (very close quarters on bench seating) was fairly insistent about using her phone. I asked her to turn it off. She answered: “So don’t look.” I asked her whether I had missed something during the very pointed announcements to please turn off your phones, perhaps a special exemption granted for her. She suggested that I should mind my own business.

So I minded my own business by utilizing my famously feline agility to deftly snatch the phone out of her hand and toss it across the room, where it would do no more damage. She slapped me and stormed away to seek managerial succor. Eventually, I was visited by a black-suited agent of order, who asked whether he might have a word...
There is talk of criminal charges.

National Review Writer ejected from theater

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#2Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 9:48am

Isn't throwing someone's phone potentially more distracting to fellow theatre-goers? Slash dangerous?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#2Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 9:56am

Maybe I've grown far too cynical but I'm waiting for the "gotcha!" where this all happened in the author's imagination.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#3Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 10:00am

Yeah, destruction of property... not smart. I don't get him counting that as a win when the SD Card is probably fine, he's going to have to pay for a new phone, and any other charges that get brought against him. He's no better than she was.

#4Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 10:02am

Well the National Review is a right-wing publication, so I would not be surprised if the whole thing was made up out of whole cloth, much like reports of Barack and Hillary dancing with joy during the Benghazi attack.

But if it IS accurate, Gawker speculates on the criminal charges he may be facing....
It took cat-like reflexes to grab an old lady's phone?

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#5Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 10:15am

If true, yes, the woman is a foul piece of excrescence, but why lower yourself to her level by behaving crudely?

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#6Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 10:22am

Will there be a cast recording of Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#7Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 10:44am

The story is absolutely true. His companion complained to the house manager at intermission, but nothing was done.

This happened in the second act.

Updated On: 5/16/13 at 10:44 AM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#8Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 10:51am

The Gothamist story is great, too.

http://gothamist.com/2013/05/16/heroic_theatergoer_smashes_cell_pho.php

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

#9Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 10:55am

Gothamist makes the show sound great. There is NO such thing as bad publicity!

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#10Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 11:01am

This is the reason I'm hesitant to see a lot of experiential theatre. People think that because it's not actually in a traditional theatre they can act whatever sh!tty way they usually do.

FUERZA BRUTA used to be great but now it's just a Eurotrash dance club for drunk idiots. I wish I had seen SLEEP NO MORE before it became the phenom it is today. I'm sure I'll see this show but it'll have to be on a random weekday.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#11Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 11:42am

"This is the reason I'm hesitant to see a lot of experiential theatre. People think that because it's not actually in a traditional theatre they can act whatever sh!tty way they usually do."

Are people acting better in "mainstream" houses? I think not. My experience of late is that if anything, they act far worse. At least when it comes to team vulgarian! As far as the vigilante, this would appear to be a unique occurrence, not representative of behavior anywhere. Did he go too far? Sure. Was it cost effective in terms of distraction? Perhaps not.

But do I relate and do I support him? Indeed I do. One small crime, perhaps, but one large step forward for publicizing a problem and advocating audience decorum, especially when - as reported here - management refuses to act.

Updated On: 5/16/13 at 11:42 AM

shobizpro
#12Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 12:07pm

"IAre people acting better in "mainstream" houses? I think not. My experience of late is that if anything, they act far worse. At least when it comes to team vulgarian! As far as the vigilante, this would appear to be a unique occurrence, not representative of behavior anywhere."

IMHO, just like uniforms in schools, I think the theater experience would benefit enourmously from a strict dress code. Personally, I wouldn't dream of attending without a jacket and tie andI'm sure I don't have to tell anyone about some of the outfits I've seen in theaters over the course of the last 20 years.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#13Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 12:09pm

Jackets are fine, but the necktie is a ridiculous sartorial fart that deserves to go the way of the bustle.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#14Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 12:11pm

Eh, I love neckties. They make an outfit look more complete and can add a dash of color.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#15Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 12:12pm

Some people like bustles.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#16Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 12:14pm

Of course one can always choose to wear one, like a hat or bustle, but to make it a de rigueur part of every man's daily wardrobe is passé et folle.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#17Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 12:15pm

I never understand people who call for a dress code in the theatre- you're sitting in the dark and can't even see what people are wearing. Why does it matter?

And as for this case, while I'm sure I'd love to throw someone's cell phone away if they wouldn't get off it, I don't know if it was wise for the author to actually do it.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#18Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 12:18pm

Who wouldn't want to rock this sexy, stylish look? I know next time I attend the theatre, I will be in full corset and bustle and ask anyone who dares take out an iPhone what their strange future machine is.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#19Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 12:21pm

Won't the bustle make you so tall in your seat, someone behind might reach down, rip it off you and throw it across the theatre?

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#20Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 12:23pm

Or I could just stand up and hit them in the face with it, thus throwing THEM across the theatre.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#21Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 12:25pm

I never understand people who call for a dress code in the theatre- you're sitting in the dark and can't even see what people are wearing. Why does it matter?

It's respectful. To the people around you, the the beauty of the art, to the beauty of the space, and to yourself. The majority of these theatres of beautiful works of art. Why show up looking like you're going to mow the lawn or go to a baseball game?

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#22Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 12:26pm

I really don't give a crap about how people are dressed so long as they behave respectfully. I've seen people dressed in sweats who behave better than a woman in lovely cocktail dress. Sorry, just my opinion.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#23Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 12:37pm

Agreed - believing a certain cut of a certain fabric implies who a person is betrays a blinkered mind.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#24Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 12:39pm

So does the beauty of the theatre building correspond with how nicely I should dress? Can I wear jeans only if I'm in a warehouse space off-Broadway, for example? Seriously, I do understand the respect thing to a certain point, but for me as an actor and audience member, I'm much more concerned with people's behavior than how they look. If you're totally engaged in the play and not behaving in a distracting manner, it doesn't matter to me one bit how you chose to dress. And as I said, the audience is in the dark! It's not like anyone's outfit is very visible when the lights go down.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Videos