News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0- Page 2

Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#25Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 12:43pm

I don't think the two have to be mutually exclusive. I don't think Broadway needs to be black tie, but I hate that looking clean, presentable, and being well-mannered is apparently just way too much to ask.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#26Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 12:51pm

Also I think the dress for the show should not clash with the tone of the evening. Wearing cutoffs and a T-shirt to "Light in The Piazza" or "Phantom of the Opera" seems somewhat off, but so would dressed, jackets and ties at "Rent," "American Idiot" or "Rock of Ages."

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#27Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 1:15pm

When Rent first opened and was a runaway hit, it attracted a very well-dressed crowd, as it was the show to see and the show to be seen at. I saw it right after opening night, and Barbara Walters, Sally Field and a slew of other celebrities were there, along with New York's theater elite crowd. Everyone was dressed to the nines. While I don't agree with a dress code, I could never go to the theater dressed like I was going shopping at Home Depot. When I go anywhere special, and even though I go to the theater often, every time it is special, I want to look nice. Its a personal choice for me, and makes me feel good. I'm a firm believer of taking pride in your appearance; others don't care what they look like. To each their own.

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#28Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 1:51pm

Symbolically, I love that he did this. Realistically, it was probably going too far.

I recently saw “Othello: The Remix” at Chicago Shakes and there were a pair of girls in front of me. One girl was texting throughout the whole show – had her phone sitting on her bag and, when she saw she got a text, she responded. We were on the very side of the rows and I was immediately behind her, so I am sure it was more distracting to me than anyone else, but it seemed like she genuinely didn’t know this might not be okay. It may have had more to do with the fact that the show, since it is rapped/sung-through, had more of a concert feel (I could see how a non-regular theatre goer might not think twice), so I do wonder if she was at a more traditional play, she would have given a second thought to her actions.

Of course, I would still hope that just because one doesn’t go to the theatre often, they would still have the respect and thought that this may be disruptive or not allowed.

As for audience attire, I care more about the cleanliness of the person than what they are wearing (I am sure we have all experienced some form of body odor from fellow audience members). I usually like to dress somewhat nicely for the theatre, just to feel good for myself, but I also appreciate that casual clothes are becoming more accepted.

For example, last week, I had a rough day at work, but had tickets to a play that night. All I wanted to do was to get out of my dressy work clothes, put on comfy clothes, and sit and enjoy a show.

Also, more casual dress makes sense for tourists who are running around NYC all day and aren’t able to stop back at their hotel before a show.

FindingNamo
#29Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 2:10pm

When I see The Great Comet I will be wearing my "Your Phone is Next" t-shirt.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#30Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 2:22pm

How would a dress code make someone not talk on their phone during a performance?

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#31Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 2:23pm

The broken window theory?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

#32Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 2:49pm

Some people are bothered by cell phones. I am bothered by dress codes. SO if anyone suggests one, I throw them across the theater.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#33Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 3:35pm

We like feeling that going to the theater is a special occasion, even if we do it 3 times in a splurge weekend in the city. Putting on a tie and jacket makes us feel special so the two go hand in hand. Our go-to template would be the Andrew & Andrew guys if we could afford their look, but that's just us.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#34Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 3:37pm

Andrew/Andrew? I'm sure you could find matching clown costumes at the Goodwill or Salvation Army.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#35Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 3:39pm

Bitch! If clown costumes = special occasion for you, more power to you.

ETA: (spoken laughingly) Updated On: 5/16/13 at 03:39 PM

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#36Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 3:51pm

Is the theater really that much of a "special occasion?" Not for me. It's just a form of entertainment, like going to a movie or museum or even a baseball game.

I don't judge anyone for dressing up to go to the theater, but I certainly would never expect to be told what I should or shouldn't wear.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

SporkGoddess
#37Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 4:44pm

I love dressing up for the theatre. I even dress up for college productions where everyone else is wearing jeans.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#38Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/16/13 at 4:53pm

How did this thread go from the fascinating topic of cell-phone behavior at the theater to excruciatingly STUPID topic of enforcing some unenforceable "dress code" at the theater.

If one more person posts about "dress codes," I'm going to throw my cellphone at them.

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#39Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/17/13 at 8:05pm

Mike Daisey Weighs In

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

BWFan101 Profile Photo
BWFan101
#40Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/17/13 at 9:04pm

Dress code doesn't really bother me. Personally, I'd never wear jeans to the theater, but that's just me. I haven't had a lot of issues with people and cell phones, surprisingly. The one thing that does bother me are the people who need to eat and drink during a performance. Seriously, they can't make it 2 1/2 hours without shoving M&Ms down their gullet? Plus, this new sippy cup trend is very annoying. At least Broadway doesn't offer Ben and Jerry's like the London theaters do.

Common sense? What's common about it? No one has common sense. It should be called rare sense.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#41Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/17/13 at 9:36pm

And, of course, someone doesn't bother to read the whole thread before posting.

Must have been busy texting...

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#42Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/17/13 at 9:45pm

Love Daisy's response to the incident.

Just give the world Love.

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#43Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/17/13 at 9:52pm

I like to dress nicely to theater, and wish they'd didn't allow food or drink in the theater. Old fashioned, I guess.

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#44Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/17/13 at 10:08pm

Do I think that cellphone use in the theatre is as big an epidemic as let's say, obesity in the US? No, I don't. It's annoying for sure. However, I wouldn't condone throwing someone's phone. The guy that did that was very much in the wrong, and although he originally did the mature thing by getting an usher, he stooped down to her level the moment he touched the phone that didn't belong to him.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#45Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/17/13 at 11:29pm

>> " I like to dress nicely to theater, and wish they'd didn't allow food or drink in the theater. Old fashioned, I guess."

Is that VIRGINIA GRAHAM in your avatar???!! Christmas on a cracker... I used to watch her program religiously!

What a lovely rush of nostalgia Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0

Be careful, though. I see a cell phone hurtling form PalJoey's direction...

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#46Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/17/13 at 11:36pm

That's my Ginny! A plus for recognizing her.

(That sound you hear are the young 'uns going to Wikipedia.)

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#47Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/17/13 at 11:56pm

> "(That sound you hear are the young 'uns going to Wikipedia.)"

I'll be more than happy to do the legwork for them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Graham

I grew up with Girl Talk and The Virginia Graham Show. She was my best "gal pal", and Mike Douglas was the "daddy" who introduced me to so many musical theater performers and Broadway shows.

EDIT: It really is a shame that Rosie O'Donnell is the only example younger folks have of the kind of influence talk show programs used to have on exposing people to Broadway shows.

While she was doing it, her show was great. But now, her reputation is so ambiguous that the good she really did for Broadway is taken into question. Updated On: 5/18/13 at 11:56 PM

whatever2
#48Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/18/13 at 12:07am

> there's talk of criminal charges.

I wonder against whom? if the cell phone toss was a crime, surely the slap was as well.

(and, no -- the slap was not self-defense unless the slapper reasonably believed the tosser (hehe) was about to strike again.)

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

SamIAm2
#49Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
Posted: 5/18/13 at 12:11am

"Why show up looking like you're going to mow the lawn or go to a baseball game?"

* Remembering when people used to dress up to go to a baseball game.

Check out how the fans are dressed

Videos