News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews- Page 8

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#175MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/25/23 at 5:59am

Is Lindsay back yet?

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

PipingHotPiccolo
#176MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/26/23 at 8:05pm

first time seeing any iteration of this show, and i'm left underwhelmed. i get that this is a production that finally makes it work (arguably), and so maybe if you saw prior drafts this final one comes out looking great but i just found the first act so incredibly uninspired. Frank is horrible. HIs motivations are basic and human, but uninteresting. The novelty of telling the story backwards hurts the show because for the first 40 minutes I found it hard to care why this protagonist shouldn't just be ditched by all those around him so we can all go home. (The best example of this is Not A Day Goes By, which I thought landed like a lead balloon in Act 1 when a total stranger shows up to sing it about a total jackass of a character, but was then very moving in Act 2 when characters we know better sing it).

and i think part of the problem might be how adorable/funny/interesting the two supporting characters are (and yes in this production, Frank is the leading man). Radcliffe is FANTASTIC in every single scene he has (far too few), and nails the humor, the songs, the whole charisma of a nerdy earnest writer. And while the backward story hurts the show, Radcliffe gets to stop it pretty early on, so we fall in love with him immediately. But then HIS life is barely explored, except in the context of Frank. Ditto the character of Mary: Jamila Sabares Klemm is doing fine, fine work here (mimicking Mendez, it feels like, in some of her deliveries) and her Mary is a beautifully sung, beautiful delight. Again, I wanted MORE of her, about why she seems to have thrown her life away for this Frank creep, but we only get any insight into her in the context of Frank (for reasons not even explored) rejecting her.

Which brings me to the opinion that will crucify me here but deep breath: I dont get what all the fuss is about re Groff. Who I have loved in everything he's ever done, who sings great, who is fully committed and believable for 2.5 hours. But hes committed and believable as this totally uninteresting, totally unappealing, totally callous jerk. So the center of the show (indeed the very reason for every other character's existence) was an empty hole for me. Why is Charley so committed to him? Why is Mary in love with him? Why was Beth? 

The only character that made any sense was Gussie, because shes craven and selfish, and she spotted those very qualitie in Frank from the outset. Why is SHE more of a villain than he is? Krystal Joy Brown is doing her best in an impossible role (and boy can she sing) but I thought the story felt like a tale of two people desperate to climb to the top of the heap--only shes smart enough to realize thats what shes doing from the jump and he isnt. This made Groff's frank feel dumb/oblivious on top of being empty and selfish. And that made it hard to care. 

The show stlll has its moments. The Blob was hilarious. Opening Doors was perfect. Reg Rogers has found his umpteenth role where being Reg Rogers somehow works perfectly for it.  I hope Radcliffe is remembered heavily in the spring, and I hope this is the start of quite a career for Sabares-Klemm. I'm glad I saw it, because it has its Sondheim genius throughout. And maybe it was the oppressively hot theater or the $$$ we spent (on center dress circle seats, Row E-- perfect view, and I'd imagine front balcony would be fine, too), but my disappointment puts me firmly in the minority--on these boards, amongst the critics, and the audience I saw it with.

Springtime
#177MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/26/23 at 9:08pm

Voter said: "Is Lindsay back yet?"

No. She has now been out for the last two weeks (and has missed a total of 23 shows in the Broadway run).

PipingHotPiccolo
#178MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/26/23 at 11:21pm

Lindsay remains out, and during the BCEFA speech, when Groff tried to hand Jamila the little notecard so she could continue the shpiel (before Radcliffe took over the entire proceeding like a total master auctioneer), she said "Oh, no need, I'm off book" ie shes been doing this pretty regularly by this point. Hope Mendez is OK.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#179MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/27/23 at 3:15am

I realize this is really late in the game to be asking, and this comment is inspired by the Best Merrily Recording thread, but I think it fits here more.

I always listen to the Original Broadway Cast recording, and the production I worked on in the late 80's was a hybrid of the Broadway and La Jolla productions (it may have used new ideas of it's director for the opening--not sure how strictly legal that was for them to do that), but it used "Rich and Famous" rather than "That Frank."

Anyway, I'd never thought about it until listening to the 1994 cast the other day for the first time in years, but what is the motivation for Frank looking back on his life if in fact he's still a wildly successful producer? In the original version, he's just released a massive bomb and seems to be going from Big Time Insider to Pariah-On-the-Way-Out as a result. The graduation he's giving a commencement speech at is, essentially, the spot of a breakdown in the face of that, in which he explores his past to figure out his present.

But if, with "That Frank," he's still a big success, what is causing him to re-examine his life? He may have just lost the only old friend left, Mary, in that scene, but is that such a big deal to him? Frank is money-and-success-obsessed, not really friendship-obsessed. So what's causing him to look back to figure out what went wrong when, by his definition of success, pretty much everything is still going well (yes, he's also headed for a second divorce over his affair with a younger woman: but is that really something he feels remorse over)?

Lina Lamont
#180MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/27/23 at 5:24am

PipingHotPiccolo said: "Lindsay remains out, and during the BCEFA speech, when Groff tried to hand Jamila the little notecard so she could continue the shpiel (before Radcliffe took over the entire proceeding like a total master auctioneer), she said "Oh, no need, I'm off book" ie shes been doing this pretty regularly by this point. Hope Mendez is OK."

The night I saw it, Mendez said the same thing.  So while the sentiment may be true, it’s a scripted patter they use.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#181MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/27/23 at 6:07am

My take: why does anyone look back? He's unhappy and unfulfilled. Despite his professional success, he is a personal failure. His own son didn't ask him to come to his graduation. He has nothing but $ and ass kissers around him. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Dreamboy3
#182MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/27/23 at 8:11am

I agree — I think Rich and happy is far superior to That Frank as a song and in the show. Plus it has one of the worst Sondheim lyrics - he has a son who’s straight .

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#183MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/27/23 at 8:30am

Springtime said: "Voter said: "Is Lindsay back yet?"

No. She has now been out for the last two weeks (and has missed a total of 23 shows in the Broadway run).
"

Damn. I’m sending family on expensive tix this week. They paid and planned to see all three. Sadly if she’s not back I’ll be exchanging their tix. It’s too much damn $$ to be out for two weeks, regardless. I wonder if now that the SAG strike is over she got whisked back to a set? I’m surprised we’re not hearing more about that actually

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

lopside
#184MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/27/23 at 8:49am

Voter said: "Springtime said: "Voter said: "Is Lindsay back yet?"

"

Damn. I’m sending family on expensive tix this week. They paid and planned to see all three. Sadly if she’s not back I’ll be exchanging their tix. It’s too much damn $$ to be out for two weeks, regardless. I wonder if now that the SAG strike is over she got whisked back to a set? I’m surprised we’re not hearing more about that actually
"

Given that the transfer was announced way before the SAG strike, I doubt she double-booked  herself (or was even able to, contractually). 

inception Profile Photo
inception
binau Profile Photo
binau
#186MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/27/23 at 9:49am

My god, I can only imagine her singing ‘now you know’ each night to be like therapy. 

re: ‘son whose straight’ lyric. What’s the problem with this? This is what people genuinely think sometimes. It’s not actually suggesting this is a genuine good thing. The entire song is satirical. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

PipingHotPiccolo
#187MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/27/23 at 9:57am

its satirical, sure, but the line works bec of the implication that its bad to have a son who ain't straight.

a reminder that the show was written 40 years ago, and remains set in a time period where that would be the norm. but it did jump out at me as well as that reminder (and i appreciate they didnt sanitize it).

rattleNwoolypenguin
#188MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/27/23 at 10:18am

"A son who's straight"

is so. so. funny. Especially when this is mocking Hollywood people.

People still think like this. Also, in a world of burgeoning queerness it's absolutely something a straight person would say like "Oh thank god, for some variety we have a straight one."

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#189MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/27/23 at 6:14pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "its satirical, sure, but the line works bec of the implication that its bad to have a son who ain't straight.

a reminder that the show was written 40 years ago, and remains set in a time period where that would be the norm. but it did jump out at me as well as that reminder (and i appreciate they didnt sanitize it).
"

I think it's a bad line myself, but not for that reason. Clearly the line no more reflects an opinion of Sondheim's (or Furth's) than Epiphany in Sweeney Todd does.

It doesn't work because it rings false and is highly improbable. The basic issue is that straight is the statistical norm, and people don't congratulate someone on their child (as opposed to congratulating each other)  being a statistical norm, as much as they may criticize someone for their child being different. If Frank's son were gay, and the chorus were blaming or mocking Frank for that, the lyric would make sense. But even in Hollywood, a person's son being straight isn't such an aberration that needs to be commented upon and applauded.

And yes, I get that the song is satirical, but satire has to be accurate to work.If they were congratulating Frank on being straight, that's would be a realistic dig (as people do congratulate each other on their straightness, and even closeted or conflicted gay people can thing being straight is preferable, too--and especially as Frank is associated with musical theater, which has since long before Merrily been thought of as a gay enclave), but that isn't what they are doing. It just...doesn't work. The rare Sondheim line that doesn't.

Updated On: 11/27/23 at 06:14 PM

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#190MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/27/23 at 6:19pm

dramamama611 said: "My take: why does anyone look back? He's unhappy and unfulfilled. Despite his professional success, he is a personal failure. His own son didn't ask him to come to his graduation. He has nothing but $ and ass kissers around him."

I appreciate this, thanks. The version of the show I know didn't even contain his son, so I didn't realize his son didn't invite him to his graduation. That's a pretty big deal, and certainly something that might get one thinking "Where did I go wrong?"

AnythingYouDo
#191MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/27/23 at 7:14pm

My problem with the "son who's straight" line is that it muddles Frank and his son's estrangement. The party guests wouldn't know that Frank Jr. is straight, nor would they really even mention him; all they care about is Frank and his success.

Overall, "Rich and Happy" is a better song for that place in the show because it allows the older, cynical Frank to speak (or sing) for himself; "That Frank" is about Frank, but mostly from the perspective of his superficial hangers-on, so it doesn't really help us understand him.

JasonC3
#192MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/27/23 at 7:37pm

It is one line in a song that goes by in seconds.  Does it merit this much scrutiny?

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#193MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/28/23 at 4:22am

JasonC3 said: "It is one line in a song that goes by in seconds. Does it merit this much scrutiny?"

Of course it does. For two reasons: 1) for some of us, it sticks out like a sore thumb, and 2) lines in Sondheim's lyrics are always worth analyzing. 

StylishCynic
#194MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/28/23 at 1:42pm

Astonishing how one of Sondheim's largest flops has now grossed over 2 million dollars on Broadway with 100% of seats sold.

Bravi tutti to this entire production and creative team! An absolute triumph. 

berniesb!tch
#195MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/28/23 at 2:15pm

joevitus said: "JasonC3 said: "It is one line in a song that goes by in seconds. Does it merit this much scrutiny?"

Of course it does. For two reasons: 1) for some of us, it sticks out like a sore thumb, and 2) lines in Sondheim's lyrics are always worth analyzing.
"

I have always taken that "straight" line more as "on the right path" or like "well put together". Something like that. Not sure if anyone else has thought that or if I am really talking out of my ass. Idk why I never thought of it in terms of his sexuality, but that probably is it. 

JasonC3
#196MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/28/23 at 2:34pm

joevitus said: "JasonC3 said: "It is one line in a song that goes by in seconds. Does it merit this much scrutiny?"

"

I'll just enjoy the recording and the show as I see nothing about the line that merits deep review nor do I think it "stands out like a sore thumb."  But for those who do, happy analyzing!

StylishCynic
#197MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/28/23 at 2:51pm

JasonC3 said: "joevitus said: "JasonC3 said: "It is one line in a song that goes by in seconds. Does it merit this much scrutiny?"

"

I'll just enjoy the recording and the show as I see nothing about the line that merits deep review nor do I think it "stands out like a sore thumb." But for those who do, happy analyzing!
"

I will say that this line received a loud laugh from the audience in my viewing. 

I interpreted the line myself as saying "everyone in Hollywood is gay" so it's something of a novelty for the women of Los Angeles that the son of a successful producer is straight.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#198MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/28/23 at 7:31pm

AnythingYouDo said: "My problem with the "son who's straight" line is that it muddles Frank and his son's estrangement. The party guests wouldn't know that Frank Jr. is straight, nor would they really even mention him; all they care about is Frank and his success.

Overall, "Rich and Happy" is a better song for that place in the show because it allows the older, cynical Frank to speak (or sing) for himself; "That Frank" isaboutFrank, but mostly from the perspective of his superficial hangers-on, so it doesn't really help us understand him.
"

The line always gets a laugh and I think it accomplishes showing how superficial the "friends" of Frank by this point are (even if in the revised version apparently his movie is actually good, not terrible like in Rich and Happy.)  What always bugged me is... how old is his son by this point?  Would even vapid scenesters just assume he was straight?

I will say I *get* why Sondheim felt he had to change Rich and Happy.  Rich and Happy is still the kids from the old high school graduation framework acting out what they imagine a Hollywood party to be (complete with a timed to the music group cocaine snort.)  What was never clear in Hal Prince's production (and I judge this from having read the 1981 script, and seen the not very good quality bootleg) is when is it no longer the kids telling Frank's story and switches to the story itself, if that makes any sense.  Because by Franklin Shepherd Inc there's no way we're meant to imagine that the kids are still showing what they assume Frank's life is.

I saw the Michael Grandage production that the Donmar in 2000 with Julian Ovenden and Daniel Evans that was so lauded.  I thought it was great--and famously while using mostly the revised book and songs (at least as revised as it was by that point--Growing Up, etc) they kept the high school graduation bookends AND Rich and Happy but did a pretty good job of showing when the transition from "High school grad teens showing what they assume Frank's life is" to the actual stuff.  And of course, they somehow didn't think to get permission to include these elements, and the production was almost shut down but after Sondheim and Furth saw it in previews and loved it, they allowed it to run for its planned run, but with the promise it wouldn't transfer or be done again.  But I was really happy with this (ending with "old Frank" at the grad now kinda realizing what he lost along the path of his life is a much more satisfying, even hopeful, ending for me.)

And regardless, Rich and Happy is musically a better song.  I have no idea why Sondheim didn't just rewrite the lyrics--That Frank musically always sounds to me like it's going to break into Rich and Happy, but it holds back which I find frustrating.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#199MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/28/23 at 7:35pm

joevitus said: "

Anyway, I'd never thought about it until listening to the 1994 cast the other day for the first time in years, but what is the motivation for Frank looking back on his life if in fact he's still a wildly successful producer? In the original version, he's just released a massive bomb and seems to be going from Big Time Insider to Pariah-On-the-Way-Out as a result. The graduation he's giving a commencement speech at is, essentially, the spot of a breakdown in the face of that, in which he explores his past to figure out his present.

But if, with "That Frank," he's still a big success, what is causing him to re-examine his life?

I think these are great points--and why for me something is still missing without the graduation framework--it does become a bit of a "well why?" show.  I'll have to check my copy of the 81 script but I didn't think his movie was a huge bomb--financially--it was just a terrible movie, but I realize I may have misunderstood that.  But yes, in the revision apparently he's even producing good movies? 

I dunno...

Videos