News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews- Page 6

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews

sppunk
#125MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/27/23 at 8:36pm

Here tonight and she’s out too. Jamila is excellent (at intermission now).

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#126MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/27/23 at 10:23pm

I would not be surprised if this would extend again. It's selling out like crazy. Keeping it open through awards season would be the best option for it. However, once the lead's contracts are up, then it will be time to close it. I hope it will continue to have a life beyond Broadway. Hopefully, Friedman's version will be available for licensing rights in the future if they do not plan to tour the production. Overall, I am just beyond overjoyed to see this show getting the recognition it deserves! If only Sondheim were here to see his once-flop musical become a smash hit! I am sure he's up there somewhere looking down on us proud that we as a theatre community will continue Sondheim's legacy!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

sppunk
#127MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/27/23 at 10:52pm

I am mostly unfamiliar with Merrily. I have heard a few songs but never the full song book and I know very little about the story. 

I can see how this got poor original reviews. It needs perfect directing a the perfect lead to carry Frank. 

This show got both. 

Phillyguy
#128MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/28/23 at 10:50am

Do they do stage door? What about Sat matinee? I wonder if I should stay after the show this afternoon or come back tonight. 

mshalo18
#129MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/28/23 at 11:38am

Phillyguy said: "Do they do stage door? What about Sat matinee? I wonder if I should stay after the show this afternoon or come back tonight."

They didn't stage door a couple of weeks ago after the matinee- but it was also a monsoon.

From what I hear, Daniel does, Lindsey doesn't, and no word on Jonathan. 

sppunk
#130MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/28/23 at 1:19pm

For Actors Equity last night Ratcliffe auctioned off the page he typed during one song.  It sold for $4,000. Damn impressive. 

Springtime
#131MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/28/23 at 2:28pm

Lindsay is still out for both Saturday shows.

Daniel stage doors almost every evening, except when there is sickness in the cast, Jonathan pretty rarely as he stays for guests, and Lindsay almost never.

Updated On: 10/28/23 at 02:28 PM

blasvader
#132MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/28/23 at 8:58pm

Okay, I was looking at tickets for a November weekend for this, and there are tickets priced for $799 and plenty at 699 on the official website. Do they actually sell these? What on earth. There's the $40 service on top of that

MezzA101
#133MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/28/23 at 9:09pm

Just a tad less obscene. The $799 includes the service fee.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#134MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/28/23 at 9:44pm

blasvader said: "Okay, I was looking at tickets for a November weekend for this, and there are tickets priced for $799 and plenty at 699 on the official website. Do they actually sell these? What on earth. There's the $40 service on top of that"

Welcome to the world of obscene Broadway prices!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

JasonC3
#135MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/28/23 at 10:30pm

Prices are generally insane through year's end, but better options are plentiful on most dates in the new year. I just purchased a dress circle center seat for mid-January for $209 with fees.  That's about $30 more than I paid in the original Broadway presale for the same seat, but at this point, I'll take it.

helso1
#136MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/30/23 at 12:04pm

Hi! Just after some advice if possible. I’m visiting in December from the UK and looking for tickets in the $252 range. I just wondered which people think would be the best seats to take for two of us, from the screenshot below.

Seating Plan

Many thanks for any help.

Helen

Phillyguy
#137MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/30/23 at 12:16pm

helso1 said: "Hi! Just after some advice if possible. I’m visiting in December from the UK and looking for tickets in the $252 range. I just wondered which people think would be the best seats to take for two of us, from the screenshot below.

Seating Plan

Many thanks for any help.

Helen
"

I paid $180 for first row balcony center and I thought the view was excellent. I swapped seats with family for the second half in center orchestra and I could see advantages of both. If I were to choose again, I think front balcony is definitely worth it. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#138MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/1/23 at 8:54am

In one of the talk show interviews Daniel Radcliffe said it's till march 'right now' - this to me suggests he knows they might extend. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

MezzA101
#139MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/1/23 at 12:27pm

Jamila Sabares-Klemm on as Mary Flynn for the matinee today.

Hairspray0901
#140MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/1/23 at 1:52pm

MezzA101 said: "Jamila Sabares-Klemm on as Mary Flynn for the matinee today."

So Lindsay has been out since Friday? If it's covid (Which, this many days in a row after a busy press schedule seems possible) - are they still on the 10 day rule? Or are they down to a negative test at day 5?

I'm going tomorrow and crossing my fingers she's back!

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#141MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/1/23 at 3:05pm

I got a balcony ticket for February for 92 dollars. At that time there were Wednesday matinees for 72. This was using a 20 dollar off coupon code.

MezzA101
#142MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/1/23 at 5:31pm

I think Lindsay brings more charm, wit, and a bit more madness to the role. If you're set on seeing her, call and ask if she's in tomorrow and, if she's not, see if you can exchange. Hudson has accommodated me in the past.

Fluffy 2
#143MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/1/23 at 6:40pm

No slip for Lindsay at tonight’s show, super happy! Was going to be bummed to miss her. 

MezzA101
#144MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/1/23 at 7:18pm

As soon as you enter the theater, by the ticket booth, is an electronic board that lists the cast and understudies for that performance.

Springtime
#145MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/4/23 at 1:39am

Is Lindsay leaving Merrily? It was announced she will be a season regular on a new television series from Ryan Murphy today. Does that explain why she went missing for a week?

Article

Updated On: 11/4/23 at 01:39 AM

inception Profile Photo
inception
#146MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/4/23 at 2:24am

The actor's strike isn't over yet,  so that is unlikely to be why she was out.  That TV show has likely been in the works for a while, but only announced now.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#147MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/9/23 at 8:11am

Caught this again recently, and I loved it even more the second time. Leana Rae Concepcion was on as Beth, and I much preferred her to Katie Rose Clarke - she just have a much stronger performance (both vocally and from an acting standpoint). When I saw this the first time, I was not a huge fan of Krystal Joy Brown's Gussie, but something about the performance worked so much better for me the second time - I could sense the sadness, desperation, and insecurity beneath that strong facade. It's a very grounded and real performance. The perfect trifecta that is Groff, Radcliffe, and Medez has gotten even more perfect. The chemistry between the three of them is so genuine, and watching the deterioration of their friendship backwards is heartbreaking yet still hopeful which is the point of the show. This is easily one of the best things on Broadway right now, and I'm so glad this production has been so lovingly embraced by critics and audiences alike.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#148MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/9/23 at 8:40am

bwayphreak234 said: "Caught this again recently, and I loved it even more the second time.Leana Rae Concepcion was on as Beth, and I much preferred her to Katie Rose Clarke - she just have a much stronger performance (both vocally and from an acting standpoint). When I saw this the first time, I was not a huge fan of Krystal Joy Brown's Gussie, but something about the performance worked so much better for me the second time - I could sense the sadness, desperation, and insecurity beneath that strong facade. It's a very grounded and real performance. The perfect trifecta that is Groff, Radcliffe, and Medez has gotten even more perfect. The chemistry between the three of them is so genuine, and watching the deterioration of their friendship backwards is heartbreaking yet still hopeful which is the point of the show. This is easily one of the best things on Broadway right now, and I'm so glad this production has been so lovingly embraced by critics and audiences alike."

Hey there... i believe i was at that same performance (sunday afternoon 11/5..... my third time) and I completely agree about Leana's take on Beth --- her Not a Day Goes By in Act 1 completely broke my heart. 

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup

bear88
#149MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 11/10/23 at 1:03am

Jesse Green's review of the revival in the New York Times has nagged at me, because I don't think I agree about his assessment of Frank.

“Merrily” is thus no longer, as it seemed in 1981, the story of the gradual, almost inevitable dimming of youth’s sweet illusions but rather the story of their falsity in the first place. Frank is only devoted to Mary and Charley when he doesn’t have access to anyone more useful. To think he turned into that monster is a mistake: He always was one, as Sondheim clearly understood. 'That’s what everyone does,' Mary sings once the three-way friendship has collapsed. 'Blames the way it is/on the way it was/On the way it never ever was.'"

Let's set aside my annoyance with the inevitable comparison to the 1981 original version that only a few people like Jarethan actually saw. Merrily hasn't been that show for a long time. Green supports his arguments both with true statements (Frank's friendship with Mary and Charley is increasingly one-sided, although they cling to it) and with a quote from "Like It Was" that makes his strongest case.

But was Frank a "monster" the whole time? He's ambitious, absolutely. He's less concerned with the purity of art for its own sake, certainly when he's poor and then when he takes a huge financial hit in the divorce. He's drawn to the glitz and glamour (and money) of success. What's worse, and this is not emphasized in the revival, he has no relationship with his teenage son. Frank, in the original version of the show, is just a sellout, in the parlance of multiple generations of artists and fans.

But in "Franklin Shepard Inc.," Charley is the first to acknowledge that Frank's business acumen has helped make him and his growing family rich. "But he makes a lot of money, and a lot of it for me - Right?" Charley sings, tossing off a line about his "little sailboat." His gripe with Frank is that, while Frank is good with money, he's squandering his gifts in his preoccupation with it. Other people "do [the money thing] better," but no one does music better than Frank. That's what he is upset about, that Frank is leaving him so he can do things he isn't as good at. Charley ends up just fine. After the breakup, he writes a Pulitzer Prize-winning play that is apparently doing well on Broadway. Charley has the artistic and (apparent) financial success that he had with Frank, while Frank is "celebrating" a lousy movie with hangers-on and wondering how did he get to be here.

The story of Frank isn't that of a jerk who was always a jerk and just ended up a rich jerk. Who would care? It's a poignant story of a hopeful, talented young man who makes rational - but often selfish - decisions that lead him to a sad, empty life despite his material success. Jonathan Groff's skill at showing that in the opening and closing scenes is what makes the show hit so hard and why it's such a terrific revival.

Videos