News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#75HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 4:19pm

Wilmingtom said: "10086, no I didn't claim to be there on Saturday.  I saw it last night for the first and only time.  I will return after it opens.

"

Yes you did. In the invited dress rehearsals thread, you said you had gone and pretty much said the exact same thing you said here.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#76HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 4:22pm

Yeah, WTF? Wilmingtom seems to be playing games.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#77HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 4:27pm

florida theatre kid said: "I was wondering if anyone knew who the swings are in this production? The ensemble cast looks huge!"

The ensemble is really impressive for the show. It is really some of the best dancers on broadway. And when you look at cast credits--wow! I counted at least 5 ensemble members with 8 or more broadway shows under their belt. 

neonlightsxo
#78HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 4:31pm

I think the kids call this "receipts", Wilmingtom

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1099609&dt=67

Zamedy154
#79HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 4:52pm

VARIETY: While Champion's original model saw multiple return engagements, the current revival, produced by Scott Rudin, is the first new production to appear on Broadway since the show premiered more than 50 years ago..

That statement confuses me. What's the difference between 'return engagements' and this 'revival?' So those previous productions weren't revivals? They all featured casts different than the OBC, with the exception of course of Ms. Channing.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#80HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 4:57pm

It was the same production with the same direction. This is a new production, new direction, costumes, set etc.

Lenexajones Profile Photo
Lenexajones
#81HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 6:00pm

Beyond excited. Our flight home was cancelled so I just went online and scored 2 tix for tonight for what I thought was a super bargain. Even better when I printed them off and saw the original face value was $650 each!  

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#82HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 7:02pm

$650 for a preview? I have super premium seats for an upcoming performance that cost $350. Is the high price because it is a first preview?

carnzee
#83HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 7:05pm

Probably front row 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#84HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 7:25pm

I am excited to hear Dollypop's take on this production.. since his excitement and love for this show has always been affectionate and contagious.  I am so happy for him that he is gong tonight.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 3/15/17 at 07:25 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#85HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 7:50pm

"Penny In My Pocket" from the original out of town tryout is included here for Vandergelder, opening act two.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#86HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 7:50pm

"Penny In My Pocket" from the original out of town tryout is included here for Vandergelder, opening act two.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#87HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 8:26pm

I hope to be reading reports from Dollypop and Whizzer soon! I do hope Whizzer's going...

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#88HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 8:47pm

This is going to be so hard. On the one hand, I really want to enjoy the spectacularness of this show. This music MADE my childhood. On the other hand, I so want to know EVERYTHING, every detail, especially if the actress playing Minnie Fay is any good (I know, of all things, right?), and also if David Hyde Pierce is a fleshed out Horace. But if I continue reading this thread and get too much information, the thrill of the live performance will be spoiled for me. I need that element of surprise and delight.

So, I'm going to have to stop reading this thread — right now. But, as Dolly would say to Ephraim, I would just love it if someone can send me a sign.... is it good, did you like it, did you love it....  That's all I want to know. Anyway, so long dearies... on this thread anyway.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#89HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 9:01pm

To anyone who was there yesterday, how's the orchestra?  Is it large or is it scaled back?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#90HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 9:25pm

Quick intermission thoughts. 

Bette is perfection. Everything you'd expect and more. She seems to be in Channing's keys and saved her vocal energy and styling for Parade. This may disappoint some, but there's NO belting here. Some of her vocals even have a hint of Channing, although I don't think it's intentional. Her line  readings are often similar to her Rose in Gypsy. 

DHP playing a bit against type and it works. 

Gavin Creel could be on his way to his first Tony. He is practically stealing the show.

Baldwin is stunning.

Sets are lovely and the costumes are eye popping. 

I believe there's around 22 musicians in the pit. Nice orchestrations but I prefer 1994's orchestrations.

can't wait for act two! 

Updated On: 3/15/17 at 09:25 PM

RagtimeRay
#91HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 9:40pm

Are the sets and costumes reminiscent of the original 1964 Broadway production (and used in prior revivals) or are they a significant departure? The picture posted yesterday from the title number suggested settings that echo the original.

Excited for everyone's observations about the show. I'm seeing this in June.

Ray is the author of the Brad Frame mystery series, and two suspense novels. He is also the author of a one man play based on Ben Franklin. http://www.rayflynt.com

bk
#92HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 10:27pm

I think old Wilmington needs to 'splain his obviously contradictory posts here - or simply stop trolling.

Another Winter Profile Photo
Another Winter
#93HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 10:30pm

To the people who are seeing the first preview:

Do you think DHP has a chance at a Tony nom?

Wilmingtom
#94HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 10:36pm

I'm not sure why not commenting on rehearsals would be considered trolling,  But I still adore the Lost In Boston CDs.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#95HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:02pm

photo by divarobbie2HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 3/15/17 at 11:02 PM

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#96HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:02pm

Love Penny in My Pocket. But I hope it's not at the expense of Elegance, a terrific number. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#97HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:03pm

photo by divarobbie2HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 3/15/17 at 11:03 PM

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#98HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:07pm

Elegance is still in, in addition to Penny I'm My Pocket which is performed in front of the curtain at the top of act 2.

divarobbie2 Profile Photo
divarobbie2
#99HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:08pm

@Robbie2 I don't mind you using my photos, but you could credit them.

Videos