News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019- Page 2

Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#25Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 11:08am

JBroadway said: "Gold could be an interesting choice. He's pretty hit-or-miss, but it has the potential to be interesting. I'd love to see Marianne Elliott tackle this beast of a play. If not her, then maybe Sam Mendes?Rupert Goold? Phyllida Lloyd? Ruben Santiago-Hudson? I also like the idea of Rebecca Taichmann. John Tiffany would be a weird choice for this material, but I love everything he does, and I bet he could work wonders with the play."

Sam Mendes is already set to direct a World War I film next year, so he'll likely be unavailable.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#26Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 11:28am

Finally saw her in Three Tall Women last week. Thrilling! Sign me up to see her in King Lear.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#27Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 11:36am

Oh I think those of you hypothesizing that Mantello and Jackson 'didn't get along' are misunderstanding the relationship /dynamic between an actor and a director. It's a directors job to challenge, inspire and of course to ultimately guide an actor into a performance. If there isn't a little adversary in that relationship, you're probably not going to take it to the heights. And of course, Jackson has been around too long to suffer fools, ass kissing or anything other than total confidence and clarity. I think it was likely a healthy working relationship and I too wouldn't be surprised if Mantello and Jackson worked together again - though probably not on King Lear.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#28Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 11:39am

I want Ivo Van Hove!!! 

Broadway World's Fireman.

JBC3
#29Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 11:44am

I, too, would be interested in what van Hove can do with this.

Right now he is immersed in preparations for the world premiere of A Little Life this fall which should be a very interesting production.
https://tga.nl/en/productions/een-klein-leven

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#30Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 11:49am

I'm surprised this won't be a transfer of the production she did at the Old Vic and won awards for. I am hoping for an exciting production. Now if only Billie Piper can transfer Yerma to Broadway, I'd be very happy with the upcoming season. I don't know what theatre would be appropriate though since it was utterly perfect at the Armory.

Updated On: 6/28/18 at 11:49 AM

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#31Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 12:03pm

Wouldn’t shock me if Glenda returns to the Golden. The theater should be open unless Waverly Gallery extends thru the spring, which is unlikely.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#32Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 12:09pm

Didn't she call Joe something else during her Tony speech?  John Mantello?

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#33Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 12:11pm

All this talk of directors...Glenda Jackson has already made it clear that she neither wants nor needs a director! She’ll probably pull a Tonya Pinkins and announce to everyone at the first rehearsal that she is the co-director.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#34Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 12:21pm

Guys watch the speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eiz2u1i_MU

Joe Mantello laughs good-naturedly at Glenda Jackson's mention.

If you want to talk about tension being evident in a speech, watch Andrew Garfield's rather equivocal response to Nathan Lane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpIoO9SpPcw

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#35Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 12:23pm

I wonder if this means we won’t be getting Ian McKellen’s production.

Updated On: 6/28/18 at 12:23 PM

#36Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 12:52pm

I’m feeling so happy now that I know that I will get to see her onstage multiple more times next year. I thought Three Tall Women was going to be the only play I saw her in live. I was ok with that too because I just felt lucky to have seen her at all. But THIS!! WOW! We have been given the gift of Glenda Jackson on Broadway and I hope there’s more. Tony #2 please!!

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#37Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 1:31pm

If I even make it to her age I just hope I can physically walk and have my wits about me and here she is staring in 2 big plays with important parts and winning a Tony award lol What an incredible woman!

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#38Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 2:37pm

Has their ever been a production where the daughters were played by guys? Maybe they'll gender-swap the whole show. Seems like the perfect chance here.

What Glenda Jackson is doing with this is the theatre equivalent of Beyonce dropping a surprise album and the fandom going nuts!

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#39Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 2:42pm

TotallyEffed said: "I wonder if this means we won’t be getting Ian McKellen’s production."

This early announcement could be a way of stopping competing productions (McKellen or anyone else considering Lear) –– since it's not like there's an author's agent to prevent multiple productions from happening :) 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#40Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 2:57pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "All this talk of directors...Glenda Jackson has already made it clear that she neither wants nor needs a director! She’ll probably pull a Tonya Pinkins and announce to everyone at the first rehearsal that she is the co-director."

Whoa, when did that happen?

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#41Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 4:39pm

I doubt there has ever been a director who has not invoked the wrath of Glenda Jackson. She is a rare actress whose natural instincts are more than enough to keep a performance afloat and, frankly, has enough gravity to make everyone bend to her. She and Mantello have very different styles of creating work, that’s all. She knows what she wants and he wants his actors to always question and discover. They may have clashed, but they created something spectacular as a result.

As for this production of Lear... HOOOOOOOOLY MOLY I know where I’ll be for my birthday in March.

Updated On: 6/28/18 at 04:39 PM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#42Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 5:12pm

Is there a director alive who wouldn't be thrilled to be called "a worthy opponent" by Glenda Jackson?

Updated On: 6/28/18 at 05:12 PM

natashalost
#43Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 5:21pm

I would love to see Lauren Ridloff as Cordelia! They would more likely than not get someone to be the "Voice of Cordelia" like they do in Deaf West productions. Since Cordelia is shut out for most of the play, having a deaf actress play the role could be symbolic of how the deaf community is largely shut out in society. Just a thought.

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#44Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 5:26pm

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "The Distinctive Baritone said: "All this talk of directors...Glenda Jackson has already made it clear that she neither wants nor needs a director! She’ll probably pull a Tonya Pinkins and announce to everyone at the first rehearsal that she is the co-director."

Whoa, when did that happen?
"

See post #117 of this thread

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#45Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 6:54pm

I saw her perform the role at the Old Vic.  Not surprisingly, she was amazing. With that said, I thought Warner's production had a lot going for it but felt a little disjointed.  

I never thought I'd see myself saying this, but I wonder how she might do in a more traditional production.  Jack O'Brian, maybe?  At his best, he was on fire.   More than a decade later, I still vividly remember his Henry IV. 

With that said, Love me some Ivo and would kill to see that production happen. 

Even more perfect....Rupert Goold!!

Updated On: 6/28/18 at 06:54 PM

10086sunset
#47Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 8:52pm

Thrilled she's coming back so soon.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#48Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 9:10pm

Rupert Goold is also set to direct the Broadway transfer of Ink in the spring, so I doubt he'll be available either.

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#49Glenda Jackson to Return to Broadway in KING LEAR, Spring 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 11:40pm

Wow ... I was going to take a break from visIting my favorite city in the world in 2019 .... I guess not!

Videos