News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24- Page 2

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 5:14pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "There have been rumors of Notebook being kept open for McCollum tax writeoff purposes, but I'm always deeeeeeeeeply skeptical of such things for a Broadway show."

Not only am I skeptical of it, I am not aware of any tax break for business losses that are greater than the losses themselves, so this explanation never makes any sense to me (for Broadway or any other industry). I'm open to being educated about this, but I've asked here before and have never gotten an explanation of how that might work.

Your other suggestions for why The Notebook stays open make much more sense to me.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#26Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 5:18pm

GoldenGiggery said: "Everyone here does realize that at the end of August, The Notebook announced it was planning to close on December 15th, right? Just seems like several people posting here missed that announcement."

I think most of us heard about this, but that still doesn't explain why it makes sense to stay open another three months when the show seems to be losing money each week. (I loved it, by the way.)

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#27Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 6:40pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Getting national companiesout is always a battle for shows, hits or otherwise.

If you surveyed most producers, I bet they'd advocate for getting a show out on BTTF's schedule, even if it meant sacrificing a bit of the Broadway revenue.A lot of shows can't get a tour out for 1.5-2 years and sometimes buzz/interest has died by then. The BTTF schedule is easier said than done and only doable because it's a big branded property and started in London first.

THE PRODUCERS producers lamented that maybe opening 2 tours was too ambitious, but the show was hot and they wanted to capitalize on buzz. Both companies lasted about 2 years and made money. MORMON, on the other hand, was smart to open two companies 2012; they ran 4 and 8 years respectively.

HAMILTON opening in Chicago a mere 13months after opening on Broadway took a massiveeffort. Opening 3 other companies in 2017, 2018, and 2019 was a gamble and were it not for the pandemic might have proved to be a poor decision.
"

It used to be fairly common for hit Broadway shows to open tours / subsequent U.S. productions pretty quickly after opening on Broadway.  Some opened as soon as six months after opening on Broadway. This was true well into the 1980s.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#28Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 6:49pm

There’s also the very real possibility that the UN General Assembly may affect NYC traffic and Broadway attendance this week. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 9/24/24 at 06:49 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#29Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 6:54pm

QueenAlice said: "It used to be fairly common for hit Broadway shows to open tours / subsequent U.S. productions prettyquickly after opening on Broadway.Some opened as soon as six months after opening on Broadway. This was true well into the 1980s."

Subscriptions for touring houses weren't really a thing back then, right? I recall PHANTOM and some of the other CamMac shows being the shows that turned the road into what it is today: you could use a hot title to anchor a show within a season and fill up other shows within the package.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#30Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 7:02pm

Shows normally don’t launch a tour until one of two things happens; a) the broadway company recoups its initial investment, or b) the broadway company has closed. I’m sure circumstances like the pandemic messed with Back to the Future’s timetables and they likely committed to presenters for the 2024-2025 season, but they really shot themselves in the foot here.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#31Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 7:18pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Shows normally don’t launch a tour until one of two things happens; a) the broadway company recoups its initial investment, or b) the broadway company has closed."

Option A and Option B both tend to be coincidental things, by nature of it taking 16-24 months to get a tour out.

Most presenters' subscription seasons are set a year or more in advance, which is the primary reason why a show can't open in March and launch a tour that October.

Producers start courting tour bookers and presenters before the Broadway opening. Entities that control touring houses like BAA, IPN, and Nederlander often invest in exchange for preferential treatment when it comes time to book a tour route. Sometimes tour producers/GMs like NETworks and Troika also invest in shows.

The actual planning of the tour usually doesn't begin until after opening night because if something seems like it will be hot on Broadway and then it tanks (Tootsie, for example), then what was once planned as an Equity tour could go non-Equity, or authors want to rewrite before a tour, or there are now hotter properties that the presenters would prefer. And unless something has the brand level of BTTF (famous movie AND did well in London), nobody's going to program a show until they actually see it.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#32Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 7:29pm

Back to the Future is done. Yikes. What an embarrassing number even in a week where many shows took a big hit. I expect a closing notice for Water For Elephants sometime soon too. They might both try to hang on till New Year's but there's a 0% chance they're going longer than Jan 2025. Suffs continues to hold its own by comparison to those two.

I knew Cabaret would start dropping soon but I thought the first week with the new cast would do better than it did.

That's an all time low for a full week for Six. Just sayin...

Truly impressive showings by The Outsiders and Oh Mary.

Videos