News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)- Page 14

Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#325Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 1/9/16 at 9:18pm

Wait, so now accepting free tickets is akin to being a whore?

....but the world goes 'round

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
ghostlight2
#327Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 1/9/16 at 10:33pm

I don't believe this event ever happened. There was no Jane - and if there was, the author lost every ounce of sympathy I might ever have had when she brought violence into the picture.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#328Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 1/11/16 at 12:03am

tazber said: "Wait, so now accepting free tickets is akin to being a whore?

"

Not at all. But if you treat me to dinner and tell me you can't bear to discuss the Middle East, I'm probably going to refrain from talking about Israeli policy in the West Bank.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#329Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 1/11/16 at 12:27am

It's amazing how not a single person sided with the playwright. Then again, this board and thread is comprised of almost entirely white people....

What do you say to audience members who enjoy other enthusiastic audience behavior? Are they in the wrong? Actors will make it known to stage management if an audience member is being rowdy or disruptive. It seems as if all of the additional comments to this thread have not attempted to consider the side of Ms. Morisseau whatsoever....

"

A. The first person in an argument to threaten violence loses, IMO. Full stop. (ETA I'm aware the playwright does NOT say she threatened out loud to slap the other woman; but we are talking about posters' reactions here and I'm saying she lost my sympathy at that moment in her tale.)

B. It isn't true that NOBODY defended any part of the playwright's view. A few have defended her categorically. I acknowledged in one of the earliest posts that audience participation and call-and-response are ancient and perfectly valid phenomena in African theater and in theater descended from that tradition.

But that isn't something everyone--white or black--knows. The production itself could and should have made it clear what was expected from the spectators; there are numerous ways to do so.

Ms. Morrisseau could have calmly said as much to her hostess, either at the time of the request for quiet or at the next break in the action. Instead, by her own account, she immediately shifted into--RED ALERT!--righteous indignation, told the older lady off and gave her "the hand". Any chance for a productive exchange of information was probably lost at that moment. No, I wasn't there, but I am relying on the playwright's own account.

I am continually shocked at how many people have decided it is okay to engage in open displays of racism since we elected a black president. The last gasp of the desperate, I hope. But it doesn't mean we have to immediately "go to the mattresses" every time there is a disagreement between two people of different racial backgrounds.

Updated On: 1/11/16 at 12:27 AM

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#330Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 1/11/16 at 12:58am

The point isn't this isolated incident but her feelings as being backed by a long line of similar incidents, and why that might provoke her to have such a reaction, and why those incidents happen, it seems, mostly to people who aren't white and comfortable.

DivaProf
#331Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 1/11/16 at 8:06am

broadwaybelter said: "It's amazing how not a single person sided with the playwright. Then again, this board and thread is comprised of almost entirely white people..."

I am actually not against the playwright and personally would have found the gum chewing comment objectionable as I've stated previously.  But I don't think it's useful to spend time on who was right or wrong because even when people observe these events themselves, many people have a tough time attributing rude behavior to subtle discrimination.  But folks on this board seem less inclined to want to engage the issue beyond what might possibly have happened between these two individuals, which to me is unfortunate.  

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#332Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 1/11/16 at 11:09pm

Charley Kringas Inc said: "The point isn't this isolated incident but her feelings as being backed by a long line of similar incidents, and why that might provoke her to have such a reaction, and why those incidents happen, it seems, mostly to people who aren't white and comfortable.

"

Gee, Charley, I guess this thread will go on forever. I will readily agree that any person of color's perceived slight occurs in the context of a lifetime as the target of "microagressions" (new word to me; I hope I'm using it correctly). I don't blame Ms. Morrisseau for her feelings, nor do most posters in this thread. It is almost entirely her actions that have been questioned.

You seem to be concerned with a different dichotomy where we are to be concerned with the black woman's feelings, but with the white woman's actions. (No one cares how the latter felt when her generosity was met with rudeness.) Isn't this exactly the sort of allowance we usually reserve for children?

Who decided that racism--micro or macro--was an automatic excuse for violence or threats of violence? I am thinking of at least two instances where black football players assaulted a referee and then later claimed the victim had called them the "N word". I could only think "I doubt that" but "So what?" (Not because the word isn't terrible, but because hate speech is not an excuse for violence.) To be fair, Ms. M didn't engage in violence, she merely felt like doing so; but you are the one who says her feelings are at issue.

I'm not for a moment trying to minimize the difficulties faced by any minority. But the right to "not be offended" isn't enshrined in the Constitution. Not quite yet.

Updated On: 1/11/16 at 11:09 PM

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#333Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 1/11/16 at 11:18pm

divaprof, by my count only a few posters have dismissed the idea that the exchange was racially charged on both sides. I suspect many of the rest of us just don't know how to address the "larger issue", much less solve them.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#334Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 1/11/16 at 11:42pm

You're still talking about this?  This event is practically the new 9/11.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Charley Kringas Inc
#335Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 1/12/16 at 3:14am

GavestonPS said: "Charley Kringas Inc said: "The point isn't this isolated incident but her feelings as being backed by a long line of similar incidents, and why that might provoke her to have such a reaction, and why those incidents happen, it seems, mostly to people who aren't white and comfortable.

"

Gee, Charley, I guess this thread will go on forever. I will readily agree that any person of color's perceived slight occurs in the context of a lifetime as the target of "microagressions" (new word to me; I hope I'm using it correctly). I don't blame Ms. Morrisseau for her feelings, nor do most posters in this thread. It is almost entirely her actions that have been questioned.

You seem to be concerned with a different dichotomy where we are to be concerned with the black woman's feelings, but with the white woman's actions. (No one cares how the latter felt when her generosity was met with rudeness.) Isn't this exactly the sort of allowance we usually reserve for children?

Who decided that racism--micro or macro--was an automatic excuse for violence or threats of violence? I am thinking of at least two instances where black football players assaulted a referee and then later claimed the victim had called them the "N word". I could only think "I doubt that" but "So what?" (Not because the word isn't terrible, but because hate speech is not an excuse for violence.) To be fair, Ms. M didn't engage in violence, she merely felt like doing so; but you are the one who says her feelings are at issue.

I'm not for a moment trying to minimize the difficulties faced by any minority. But the right to "not be offended" isn't enshrined in the Constitution. Not quite yet.

"

Well, she didn't commit or threaten violence, merely had the thought of it, which I think we've all experienced at some point or another. I just figure if we're going to try to settle on one point as an outcome of this article, it shouldn't be an argument about Morisseau's actions (and non-actions), but a hopefully productive discussion about how to integrate cultures in a space that is, let's admit it, dominated by white people. We don't have to come to an actual conclusion, but I think it's an interesting topic, and it's frustrating to see it sidelined by debate over whether Morisseau is right or wrong.

I feel like that's what the current overall cultural debate is moving towards - what's too far, what's not enough, who should have what kind of say? It's very messy and difficult, particularly with the witch-burning potential of social media, and I'm curious what direction it's going to go in. It's a difficult atmosphere to stay non-political in.

With regards to black feelings vs white actions, this is also something I've seen debate on, and the concept is that a person in a position of power has the freedom to be above the feelings of the people below them, because society backs them up. It's like when my cousin took a job and a bunch of people asked her how her husband felt about her being away from home, which isn't a question men get asked and is a kind of unintentional put-down that's backed by a social expectation that women aren't needed outside of the home, and these social expectations are harmful in powerful, real ways that go beyond microaggressions on Facebook.

So, you know, I dunno, it's that kind of thing. The question of how to get over that, what actions can be taken, by whom, and how far to take it? I'd rather discuss that than go on a kangaroo court goose chase over Morisseau's credibility and fallibility.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#336Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 1/12/16 at 10:46pm

Charley, I don't know that I disagree with you so very much. Maybe most of us feel like committing acts of violence (I really don't, I swear), but Morrisseau presents her feeling as something she "almost" made a reality, and she did so in print. Maybe most people think "I could knock his block off", but I don't believe most educated people feel comfortable writing that in an editorial. (And just imagine the uproar if the white lady had written, "If the black lady had laughed inappropriately one more time, I was going to snatch her bald-headed"!) In the end, I don't think we do minorities any favor if we assume they are so fragile they can only respond to micro-aggressions with violence or threats/thoughts thereof. (And the fact is, of course, that the overwhelming majority of African Americans have been non-violent in their protests against racial discrimination.)

In general, however, I think the response to Ms. Morrisseau here has been motivated as much by her own sense of privilege as by any general sense of white privilege among BWW posters. Having played a part in the same play previously does not give one authority over the rest of the spectators who are seeing it for the first time. It's interesting that Ms. Morrisseau never claims that most of the audience was responding as SHE was; she merely asserts an apparently unassailable right to behave as she pleases.

I am sympathetic to the context of white micro-aggression in which Ms. M lives; but I also expect "an award-winning playwright" to possess a heightened capacity for empathy and for seeing multiple points of view. It apparently never occurs to Ms. M that her "host" may have simply been embarrassed by the behavior of someone she considered her "guest". 

As for how we let audiences know that their participation is expected to be different for a Tennessee Williams play as opposed to a Langston Hughes play, I agree that's a more difficult question. Perhaps that was what the actor who engaged Ms. Morrisseau was trying to accomplish, but I doubt it's a problem that will be solved by engaging one member of the audience (if, indeed that was what happened).

But there are ways to do it, such as writing and directing call-and-response into the initial minutes of a play. Placing cast members in the house can have a similar effect. I daresay every theater knows what sort of patron it usually attracts; if a certain behavior is desired, some thought should be given to achieving it with the expected audience pool. Not knowing the theater or having seen the production in question, I can't say exactly what might have been done differently.

FindingNamo
#337Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 1/12/16 at 11:36pm

I don't think we do minorities any favor if we assume...

Don't write like that.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Charley Kringas Inc
#338Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 1/13/16 at 1:01am

I guess the question is about deciding how to approach the integration of cultures, which is deeply messy and complex. Even if I don't disagree that maybe Morisseau should have realized this isn't exactly the hill to die on, I can certainly imagine the frustration of being in her position. Seeing a play that calls to my culture with an audience who is not of my culture and doesn't appreciate (or, potentially, even want) my culture would be discomforting.

Earlier (I think) I mentioned the Napa Valley Wine Train situation, where a black book group was thrown off for being too boisterous. Ignoring the fact that white book groups can get just as boistrous after too much clos du bois, is the actual rule that the Napa Valley Wine Train must be enjoyed in tipsy quiet a racist rule? Probably not really, given that it's a private company and it's well within their right to want to provide a specific experience, but when you consider that the way something like that might be enjoyed may differ between cultures then you have to consider who is making the rules and how welcoming and inviting those rules are.

Certainly I don't actually expect a solution, but it's something that I think is interesting to consider as our country moves, precariously, towards equality. I know I probably sound completely ridiculous, and I wish I didn't but I'm not sure how else to phrase this idea. If theater is overwhelmingly white, or old, or conservative, that's not going to be very inviting to people who are younger, or of other cultures, which is going to inhibit cohabitation.

DivaProf
#339Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 1/13/16 at 2:18am

Charley Kringas Inc said: "I guess the question is about deciding how to approach the integration of cultures, which is deeply messy and complex. Even if I don't disagree that maybe Morisseau should have realized this isn't exactly the hill to die on, I can certainly imagine the frustration of being in her position. Seeing a play that calls to my culture with an audience who is not of my culture and doesn't appreciate (or, potentially, even want) my culture would be discomforting.... If theater is overwhelmingly white, or old, or conservative, that's not going to be very inviting to people who are younger, or of other cultures, which is going to inhibit cohabitation."

This is what I meant about the larger issues.  I suppose theater has for some time been considered a "white space," and perhaps people are tired of talking/thinking about how to change that.  But continued dialogue may be needed...I read recently that LaChanze was detained at her stage door because someone couldn't find her name on the call list.  Which could be totally innocent, I know, but could also be because theater is considered to be a white space.  

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#340Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 1/13/16 at 9:21pm

FindingNamo said: " I don't think we do minorities any favor if we assume...

Don't write like that.

"

Namo, you have been very much a man of your word since I asked you to give me a break.

So I hope you'll feel free to explain how I erred. I.e., "Don't write like" what? Why not? Yes, I realize racial equality isn't a matter of doing anybody a "favor", so perhaps I shouldn't have used that particular phrase even in the generic sense. 

My intention was just to say I find it condescending to assume that anyone (regardless of race, gender, religion or sexuality) is too uncivilized to refrain from violence when offended. (Yes, I realize Ms. Morrisseau DID refrain from violence, but she herself presents it as a close call.)

Charley, I don't think any of your posts are ridiculous. I agree with your suggestion that perhaps the Morrisseau encounter and account of it aren't the best basis for discussing what remains an important question: how will the American theater deal with the changing demographics of the American public?

Updated On: 1/13/16 at 09:21 PM

FindingNamo
#341Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 1/14/16 at 10:45pm

Namo, you have been very much a man of your word since I asked you to give me a break.

I blocked you.  Obviously there is something you do that reminds me of something I absolutely HATE about myself, or something in myself that I have worked through and moved past but that you do in your writing that triggers a rage response from me.  I mean, it's obvious to me after looking inside.  So I blocked you.  I don't recall you asking me to give you a break, but then again I never once read one of your long screeds all the way to the end.  Once you infuriated me, I just responded, about 25% of the times it happened.  I blocked you for me, not for you, but I'm glad you got relief from my word that I never gave you.

White people, progressive thinkers, those who think deeply about issues should stop writing the general "we" and then referring to others as "minorities."  Also, maybe phase out "minorities" all together.  There are better, more nuanced constructions rather than falling into the trap of the old language.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

BobBenson Profile Photo
BobBenson
#342Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 1/16/16 at 6:23am

FindingNamo said: "Namo, you have been very much a man of your word since I asked you to give me a break.

I blocked you.  Obviously there is something you do that reminds me of something I absolutely HATE about myself, or something in myself that I have worked through and moved past but that you do in your writing that triggers a rage response from me.  I mean, it's obvious to me after looking inside.  So I blocked you.  I don't recall you asking me to give you a break, but then again I never once read one of your long screeds all the way to the end.  Once you infuriated me, I just responded, about 25% of the times it happened.  I blocked you for me, not for you, but I'm glad you got relief from my word that I never gave you.

White people, progressive thinkers, those who think deeply about issues should stop writing the general "we" and then referring to others as "minorities."  Also, maybe phase out "minorities" all together.  There are better, more nuanced constructions rather than falling into the trap of the old language.

"

If you blocked Gaveston, how will he be able to read a post in which you talk about blocking him? Or is your post just kind of an interior monologue of sorts?

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#343Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 1/16/16 at 7:13am

You can see posts by poster's that you've blocked when scrolling through a thread to reply to someone else.

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 1/16/16 at 07:13 AM

BobBenson Profile Photo
BobBenson
#344Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 1/16/16 at 9:20am

tazber said: "You can see posts by poster's that you've blocked when scrolling through a thread to someone else.

"

Ah, okay. Makes sense. Thanks ever so much, duck,

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#345Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 1/16/16 at 6:43pm

FindingNamo said: "I blocked you.  Obviously there is something you do that reminds me of something I absolutely HATE about myself, or something in myself that I have worked through and moved past but that you do in your writing that triggers a rage response from me.  I mean, it's obvious to me after looking inside.  So I blocked you.  I don't recall you asking me to give you a break, but then again I never once read one of your long screeds all the way to the end.  Once you infuriated me, I just responded, about 25% of the times it happened.  I blocked you for me, not for you, but I'm glad you got relief from my word that I never gave you.

"

You've forgotten the exchange, which is not surprising since it's been about a year.. I accused you of dogging my every post and asked you to stop. You swore you would do so. And you did. Yes, I assumed you had blocked me, but I still thought your keeping your word should be acknowledged; I just couldn't figure out how to do so while being blocked. When you posted to me here, I seized the opportunity.

You prefer a style of posting that relies largely on (often very clever) quips and snarks. I enjoy your posts very much. But I don't think all issues can be clearly addressed in 164 characters or less. As you point out, my shorthand use of the term "minorities" (a term which in my usage always includes myself) is misleading and really archaic.

Since we have no true "majority" any more, just a collection of minorities, I'll find another way to express the concept. Thank you for the correction.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#346Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 1/17/16 at 10:40pm

Just to be clear, Bob. I have been reading Namo's posts all along. When he blocked me, my posts became invisible on HIS feed (unless my post was quoted by someone else); MY feed continued to show Namo's posts (and will do so unless I block him).

I've never blocked anybody, but that seems to be how it works.

Videos