News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)- Page 10

Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)

Phyllis Rogers Stone
haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#226Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/18/15 at 4:05pm

The majority of people telling white people to check themselves for racism and privilege are white. It's a hot trend right now.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#227Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/18/15 at 4:06pm

This thread is the Christmas gift that keeps on giving.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#228Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/18/15 at 4:07pm

Well, you just called yourself the worst.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Phyllis Rogers Stone
tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#230Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/18/15 at 4:13pm

I checked out of this clusterF*CK when someone actually compared Jane's shushing to white supremacy.

I mean, the discussion as to whether Jane was exhibiting latent racism through micro-aggression or just demanding courtesy could be a valid conversation.

But even that author said she didn't think Jane was racist, so for the rhetoric here to get so heated to the point of calling people supremacists.....it's just a joke now.

And I'm sure someone will equate me to a grand wizard for that comment.

(Although in all fairness I do pretend I'm Gandalf from time to time).

....but the world goes 'round

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#231Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/18/15 at 4:13pm

to Phyllissmileylaughcheekyindecision

Updated On: 12/18/15 at 04:13 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#232Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/18/15 at 4:17pm

I think the point is, only broadwaybelter can tell us who we are and what we're thinking.  And that's okay because the neo-racist doctrine of Original White Supremacy means that white people are all racists even when they're not because they were born white.  They can't help the color of skin they were born with and their racism may be completely unintentional and unconscious, but they are racist nonetheless because they are white.  Now, this may sound eerily like the old-school racism the neo-racist vehement objects, but it's suddenly not racism because they are neo-racist which identifies only (and all) white people as being "racist" (or "neo-racist"Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre).  Something like that.  

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Phyllis Rogers Stone
newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#235Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/18/15 at 4:24pm

Oh, it's like grad school, right? There, you didn't have to have any actual ideas either, all you needed to do was cite sources.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#236Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/18/15 at 4:45pm

There's no point. You choose to be offended rather than choose to think. A large portion of this board is also white, which means there's little I can do to change your mind.

The sentiment you profess that "no one can read my mind" is a tired and cliched one. In fact, it is the quintessential white fragility tag line. If any of you do have any friends or colleagues of color, I would encourage you to address this issue with them. I suspect you might find I'm not the only one who considers your complicity and unwillingness to consider a view other than your own rather abhorrent.

Updated On: 12/18/15 at 04:45 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#237Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/18/15 at 4:52pm

wow. Release the farts from your brains folks. We abhorrent people have heard your speeches on here over and over. Instead of accusing us again of not thinking about them, hear this - we thought about them and still disagree. Actually the more I think about what you say here, the more I reject iti. You all can lecture till the cows come home, be my guest. The fact still remains that you cannot, cannot , assume a person is racist if they ask another person to lower their voice. You just cannot. 

Updated On: 12/18/15 at 04:52 PM

broadwaybelter
#238Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/18/15 at 5:10pm

I can and will. I have heard and witnessed his type of interaction enough to side with Ms. Morisseau.

If a performance elicits genuine reactions such as loud laughter, moans, cries, call and response, clapping, and singing then that behavior should never be shushed.

If someone is unwrapping their sandwich, eating their sandwich, talking on their cellphone, text messaging, having a loud conversation about dogs, etc., then you should definitely hush and stop that behavior. But if someone is enjoying a play, please do not.

People of color have been told be quiet their whole lives and now are finally putting their foot down and saying "NO".

Updated On: 12/18/15 at 05:10 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#239Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/18/15 at 5:20pm

You are so closed minded! 

Belter said = "If a performance elicits genuine reactions such as loud laughter, moans, cries, call and response, clapping, and singing then that behavior should never be shushed."

FINE. But are you SO closed minded that you can't possibly imagine that there are people who don't ascribe to that, and are annoyed by the noise NO MATTER WHO'S DOING IT. Those people might be uptight, too "OLD", etc. to be ok with it. NO, you are too closed minded. You immediately jump to racism.

I dare you to answer this question - a black child is kicking the back of your theater seat, constantly. it's a sold out house. Are you going to turn around and say anything? Remember, if you do YOU ARE A RACIST.

broadwaybelter
#240Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/18/15 at 5:20pm

@Jane2: I'm not asking this facetiously; I'm genuinely curious: do you know any people of color? And by 'know', I mean regularly see them, converse, treat them like people, and consider them a friend. And for that matter, do any of you have friends of color? Show them the article, show them this thread. Begin the conversation. If you want me off your backs, think about that person of color whom you're sitting next to during a performance (if there happens to be one, because, as we were reminded, the theater is mostly white people).

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#241Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/18/15 at 5:26pm

How dare you. 

Secondly, I KNEW you wouldn't answer my question. You can't.

broadwaybelter
#242Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/18/15 at 5:33pm

If he's kicking it and screaming that he wants to go home, then yes, I would. I would ask if he could subside from that behavior. If I turned around and noticed that he's genuinely excited and kicking with excitement, it wouldn't bother me.

If there are people that can't possibly ascribe to that behavior, then they shouldn't be in a theater. Watch a movie at home. That is a perfectly acceptable myopic experience where you can behave and tell others to behave as you wish. By all means, shush anyone you want in your home. It's your home. 

To be in a theater is to commune, to be communal. Theater is a gathering of many different people, with (hopefully) many different backgrounds, emotional understandings, and temperaments. To be in a theater is to coexist and exercise your empathy. Can you hear a story from a completely different point of view other than your own, and still consider their plight? Just as Jane (in the theater) failed to do. She broke one of the most basic rules. She refused to consider Ms. Morisseau's experience and was only concerned about her own. If Ms. Morisseau was arbitrarily clapping because she was bored, then I would fully invite Jane to shush her. Hell, I would've asked her to stop. But in this case, she was in the moment and clapping along with the chorus.

Updated On: 12/18/15 at 05:33 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#243Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/18/15 at 5:33pm

Belter asked me about black people, if I "treat them like people," etc.

Listen you, I wasn't going to comment again, but you are the lowest form of a group of cells roaming the earth. Please report this to the mods so this thread can end.

broadwaybelter
#244Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/18/15 at 5:40pm

If the mods deleted this thread, I would be certain to go directly to American Theater Magazine and all theater-related media outlets and let them know that BWW has no interest in the conversation about race. But I know that BWW is better than that, well, at least the mods are.

And GURL hold on. I was responding to your question in another post Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre) Let it be known,  I hold no ill-will against any of you, nor do any of the folks that are siding with Ms. Morisseau. We, just like Ms. Morisseau, are exhausted from having to defend ourselves: behavior, ideas, and feelings. Jane2, I do think you are at least considering these thoughts if you continue to read and reply to my posts. I applaud you for at least that. It definitely takes work to dismantle white supremacy.

Updated On: 12/18/15 at 05:40 PM

broadwaybelter
#245Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/18/15 at 5:51pm

Jane2 said: "Belter asked me about black people, if I "treat them like people," etc.

Listen you, I wasn't going to comment again, but you are the lowest form of a group of cells roaming the earth. Please report this to the mods so this thread can end.

"

Forgive me for trying to progress our backward-thinking society.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#246Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/18/15 at 5:51pm

NO Belter, the reason why a mod MIGHT end the thread is because I out and out insulted you. Called you a name. Not for the reason you jumped to. 

Belter, I don't have to nor want to describe my life and the black people in it, for you to look like the fool  that you are.  We've had conversations of this type already,  and you are wrong. We laugh at how ridiculous you are.

broadwaybelter
#247Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/18/15 at 5:56pm

I don't hear anyone laughing....? And when I say people of color, it does, yes, mean black people, but also Latinos, Middle Easterners, Asians, etc. Any non-white people with distinguishing societal deviations from whiteness.

I have no interest in insulting you. You can insult me to your heart's content. I don't mind it. If the mods wanted to block your hostility, I would applaud them for that. Rather than continue the conversation, you choose to make jabs at me and others who move the conversation along. I am only interested in making you consider where you fall in relation to an audience of color.

Updated On: 12/18/15 at 05:56 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#248Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/18/15 at 5:58pm

OK, I think there's enough BWW entertainment from me cheekyfor the time being. Anyone else want to play with Belcher? I have to knit.

broadwaybelter

Videos