News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

2017 Tony Awards Host

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#752017 Tony Awards Host
Posted: 4/12/17 at 8:09pm

Shouldn't we be getting an announcement soon? Any word on this?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#762017 Tony Awards Host
Posted: 4/12/17 at 8:29pm

Maybe we won't have a host this year and it will just be different presenters.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Butter Broadway
#772017 Tony Awards Host
Posted: 4/12/17 at 9:09pm

That would suck. If they can't get Colbert, they should at least get Broadway people like they did in 2015.  Laura Benanti and Andrew Rannells!!

cb2addict2 Profile Photo
cb2addict2
#782017 Tony Awards Host
Posted: 4/13/17 at 12:02am

Someone suggested billy Eichner on here before and I think that is GENIUS 

Call_me_jorge
#792017 Tony Awards Host
Posted: 4/13/17 at 10:48pm

A lot of the ideas seem to have right out of this thread. http://nyp.st/2nKCE6a

i wouldn't mind gosling and stone hosting.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Butter Broadway
#802017 Tony Awards Host
Posted: 4/13/17 at 10:59pm

That's such a stupid idea.  They're not theatre people, and probably have never been to the theatre...

Maybe they can get Patti Lupone and Christine Ebersole to host!

Or even Bette Midler who would be fabulous!

Laura Benanti and Annaleigh Ashford!

Updated On: 4/13/17 at 10:59 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#812017 Tony Awards Host
Posted: 4/13/17 at 11:29pm

cb2addict2 said: "Someone suggested billy Eichner on here before and I think that is GENIUS 

"

Who and why?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#822017 Tony Awards Host
Posted: 4/13/17 at 11:35pm

Butter Broadway said: "That's such a stupid idea.  They're not theatre people, and probably have never been to the theatre..."

Have you forgotten that Emma Stone spent three months on Broadway playing Sally Bowles in Cabaret?

Butter Broadway
#832017 Tony Awards Host
Posted: 4/13/17 at 11:52pm

Oh yes I did forget that, however it still would be strange for Stone and Gosling to host. They're not really a part of the Broadway community.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#842017 Tony Awards Host
Posted: 4/14/17 at 12:33am

I'm the person who suggested Billy Eichner because he's funny, he has a strong connection to NYC and NYC actors, he loves Broadway, and he can sing. Plus, people who don't watch the Tonys would watch them for him. People seem to forget that CBS doesn't air the Tonys as a public service. They and their advertisers would like people to watch them, and, for that reason, some of the suggestions on this thread are pretty ridiculous. I LOVE the Tonys, but their viewership is notoriously low. Having a host that is known outside of the Broadway community is a way to make them more accessible to the general public. 

UncleCharlie
#852017 Tony Awards Host
Posted: 4/14/17 at 1:02am

CT2NYC said: "I'm the person who suggested Billy Eichner because he's funny, he has a strong connection to NYC and NYC actors, he loves Broadway, and he can sing. Plus, people who don't watch the Tonys would watch them for him. People seem to forget that CBS doesn't air the Tonys as a public service. They and their advertisers would like people to watch them, and, for that reason, some of the suggestions on this thread are pretty ridiculous. I LOVE the Tonys, but their viewership is notoriously low. Having a host that is known outside of the Broadway community is a way to make them more accessible to the general public. 

The key for the host is to draw in viewers who aren't Broadway addicts and aren't people who would tune in regardless of who is hosting. I think you vastly overestimate the number of people who wouldn't watch normally but will tune in because of him. People want to see a major star, not a minor, basic cable "celebrity" and I have doubts his core audience of people who enjoy adlib sidewalk gags are all of a sudden going to want to know all about theater. Suffice to say, if you want to make sure CBS walks away from this once and for all, he'd be perfect.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#862017 Tony Awards Host
Posted: 4/14/17 at 1:06am

Stephen Colbert would be fantastic.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#872017 Tony Awards Host
Posted: 4/14/17 at 1:28am

UncleCharlie said:

The key for the host is to draw in viewers who aren't Broadway addicts and aren't people who would tune in regardless of who is hosting. I think you vastly overestimate the number of people who wouldn't watch normally but will tune in because of him. People want to see a major star, not a minor, basic cable "celebrity" and I have doubts his core audience of people who enjoy adlib sidewalk gags are all of a sudden going to want to know all about theater. Suffice to say, if you want to make sure CBS walks away from this once and for all, he'd be perfect.

"A minor basic cable 'celebrity'" who's had two Oscar winners running around the streets with him, did a segment with Michelle Obama, and had an article written about him in the New Yorker. Just because he's not as big as Neil Patrick Harris or Hugh Jackman, doesn't make him "minor." I might overestimate his ability to increase viewership, but I think you underestimate his general popularity.

Updated On: 4/14/17 at 01:28 AM

UncleCharlie
#882017 Tony Awards Host
Posted: 4/14/17 at 1:56am

CT2NYC said: "UncleCharlie said:

"A minor basic cable 'celebrity'" who's had two Oscar winners running around the streets with him, did a segment with Michelle Obama, and had an article written about him in the New Yorker. Just because he's not as big as Neil Patrick Harris or Hugh Jackman, doesn't make him "minor." I might overestimate his ability to increase viewership, but I think you underestimate his general popularity.

I'm pretty sure I'm not. 2 or 3 appearances by name celebrities and an article in a magazine don't scream "national awards show host". Celebrities do these one time shots for a number of shows for a variety of reasons.. It's not a huge deal. President Obama and Hillary Clinton along with more "A" list actors than you can name did "Between Two Ferns" on Funny or Die and it won two Emmys but I'm not going to suggest Zack Galifianakis be the host even though he's far better known. Look, nothing against Billy Eichner but people with his resume are pretty common. The Tonys don't have a draw like Hamilton to lean on this year. They need a star. Eichner isn't it.

'

Updated On: 4/14/17 at 01:56 AM

Alexander Lamar
#892017 Tony Awards Host
Posted: 4/14/17 at 5:58am

I just googled Eichner, and still have no idea who he is. He doesn't even look vaguely familiar. I think you may be overestimating his star power. 

froote
#902017 Tony Awards Host
Posted: 4/14/17 at 7:15am

I would love Eichner too, but maybe in a few years once he's established himself a bit more. He's getting there for sure.

No to Gosling and Stone. I love Ryan Gosling but I'm not over the secondhand embarrassment of him having to pretend he knew a lot about musicals in the La La Land promo tour when he clearly knew basically nothing. Plus the La La Land hype just feels over now.

10086sunset
#912017 Tony Awards Host
Posted: 4/14/17 at 7:43am

Considering the lack of current options, Close would be the safest and likely best choice.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#922017 Tony Awards Host
Posted: 4/14/17 at 9:07am

While not a sexy notion, why not David Hyde Pierce and Allison Janney as co-host? If I remember correctly they might have hosted the Emmys together, both are on Broadway, and Janney is on a CBS hit show. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

BWAYLeaks
#932017 Tony Awards Host
Posted: 4/14/17 at 9:12am

Bring ROSIE back! 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#942017 Tony Awards Host
Posted: 4/14/17 at 10:23am

Alexander Lamar said: "I just googled Eichner, and still have no idea who he is. He doesn't even look vaguely familiar. I think you may be overestimating his star power. 

Well, he's big enough to have been featured prominently in ads for his very brief cameo in the recent HAIRSPRAY LIVE!, alongside Rosie O'Donnell, Sean Hayes, and Andrea Martin. So, obviously, NBC thought people would know who he is. While I understand that he might be too much of an up-and-comer at this point, he's definitely a star on the rise.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#952017 Tony Awards Host
Posted: 4/14/17 at 10:30am

When will CBS learn that a host does nothing to the ratings? 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

froote
#962017 Tony Awards Host
Posted: 4/14/17 at 10:35am

I mean either way it's going to be a dramatic drop in ratings from last year with Hamilton bringing in the highest ratings in 15 years and up 33% from 2015. So they may as well just find someone who will do a decent job and then work on getting someone more famous next year, maybe Tina Fey will be free then. I know that article says expect to see Lin hosting in 2018 but he has said numerous times he doesn't want to host an award show and I can't blame him for that.

Updated On: 4/14/17 at 10:35 AM

Call_me_jorge
#972017 Tony Awards Host
Posted: 4/14/17 at 10:49am

Bill Eichner, I feel, is more famous with millenials and younger generations. He has a famous bit on funny or die and was on Parks and Rec. I love him, but I don't think the average theatre goer may know him. 

froote
#982017 Tony Awards Host
Posted: 4/14/17 at 10:52am

But regular theatregoers will be watching anyway, the trick is to get people who may not ordinarily watch the Tonys to tune in, particularly young people who usually choose to watch things online afterwards. So those are actually points in Eichner's favor if anything, although I do think he should wait 2 or 3 years to host.

Robert16 Profile Photo
Robert16
#992017 Tony Awards Host
Posted: 4/14/17 at 10:52am

Alec Baldwin hosting as Trump would be hysterical

Videos