News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals- Page 2

2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals

Yankeefan007
#25re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 6:11pm

Kathleen Marshall certainly has a lot more hits than she does flops, but, IMO, she's still hit or miss. She's certainly gained a lot of credibility with Wonderful Town and Pajama Game, but what can she do to make Grease any different?

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#26re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 6:16pm

What can she do to make GREASE any different?

Prior to us seeing the finished products, the same could have probably been said for both WONDERFUL TOWN and THE PAJAMA GAME. In many, many ways, GREASE might provide some interesting possibilities that neither WONDERFUL TOWN nor THE PAJAMA GAME could ever have.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#27re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 6:17pm

I have issues with Kathleen Marshall, I think she can be a bit lackluster at times (FOLLIES anyone?). However, I suspect GREASE will be a big hit, and while I doubt it's gonna be "fresh" (it's GREASE, I don't see anything fresh about it), it will probably be a very energetic fun production with Marshall in charge.
I think it's a moot point to predict anything regarding the Tonys for next season. I mean, we don't even know what revivals will indeed open or not. As I said, I'm not really sure if PORGY & BESS will make the transfer or not, I feel a bit iffy about its chances of opening this season.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Yankeefan007
#28re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 6:19pm

True....and after seeing the cast, compared to Danny and Sandy, it seems likey they're going for parody (with older-looking people playing teens), like the original production.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#29re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 6:26pm

But Marshall didn't direct FOLLIES - she only choreographed it.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

#30re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 6:39pm

I "know a friend who knows a friend" who knows Mike Nichols and says he's pushing very much to do Follies but wants to wait till Donna Murphy was free

gettinhep Profile Photo
gettinhep
#31re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 6:46pm

It would be a very tight squeeze to have a hundred performances of Follies in the St. James before Grinch opens in November. If it is to run at all, isn't it more likely to be later in the season?

'Try not to have a good time...this is supposed to be educational.' - Lucy Van Pelt

Yankeefan007
#32re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 6:58pm

Mike Nichols? Why?

ray-andallthatjazz86
#33re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 7:16pm

Eric, that makes sense since the rumors I've heard all agree in that one of the reasons FOLLIES is on hold is due to Murphy. I would love for this show to transfer and see la Murphy take her third Tony.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

gettinhep Profile Photo
gettinhep
#34re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 7:21pm

I'm with you there, Ray.

'Try not to have a good time...this is supposed to be educational.' - Lucy Van Pelt

TapTapTapioca
#35re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 7:49pm

The Wiz won't be going to Broadway until after it plays San Fransisco NEXT summer.

I shave me Xanadu every morning!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#36re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 7:52pm

PLEASEEE let Follies happen. I'm fine with them waiting for Murphy. She was brilliant, so it would be well worth the wait. The only let-down would be no Joanne Worley re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals But I'm sure there's more fun casting possible for Stella.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#37re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 8:20pm

But Worley was my favorite in the supporting cast, she was so winning, and stole the show in every one of her scenes. Hopefully, there will find a Stella as fantastic as her.
I think a limited engagement would make sense, it's the only way I would see Victor Garber involved too. His show is debuting during mid-season so if FOLLIES doesn't happen in the fall, he'll have to be replaced as well. It would be sad to lose him, I thought he did something different with Ben.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#38re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 8:24pm

I'm more excited for the revivals than the original musicals.

I would love for Follies to transfer.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#39re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 8:27pm

I'm more excited for the revivals than the original musicals

Ditto.

Jellylorum Profile Photo
Jellylorum
#40re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 9:10pm

Same here. There are a few new musicals I'm mildly interested in, but I'm not dying to see any of them.

I especially can't wait for Sunday in the Park with George!

"It's a goddamn beautiful day, shut up!"

Timmer
#41re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/8/07 at 1:01am

There was a rumor a few months back about a revival of "Stop the World -- I Want to Get Off" but I haven't heard anythign lately. Casting Newley's role could be a challenge.

Anyone heard if that is a go or not?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#42re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/8/07 at 1:21am

I'm don't see why Mike Nichols would be brought on to direct the FOLLIES revival when Casey Nicholaw received such raves for his work helming the Encores production. I would think they would want to keep the cast and creative as close to that of the Encores mounting as possible.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

MusicalMo
#44re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/13/07 at 6:58pm

From what I understand, the PORGY revival has been pushed back to Fall of 2008, due to the director's schedule. But, yes, it is still happening.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#45re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/13/07 at 7:04pm

I'm don't see why Mike Nichols would be brought on to direct the FOLLIES revival when Casey Nicholaw received such raves for his work helming the Encores production. I would think they would want to keep the cast and creative as close to that of the Encores mounting as possible.

- Agreed. I'd want to see the same direction and choreography.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#46re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/13/07 at 8:48pm

Maybe Mike Nichols is interested in producing?
Just a thought.
I thought Casey Nicholaw's choreography was fantastic (of course he's no Michael Bennett but who is?) and very effective. I particularly loved "Who's that Woman?" and "You're Gonna Love Tomorrow/Love Will See Us Through." Oh, and the underrated "Bolero d'Amour."
Having said that, I must confess I'm a selfish bitch, if the option is FOLLIES without Nicholaw or no FOLLIES at all, I pick the former.

Wanna Be A Foster
#47re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/29/07 at 12:47pm

Looks like we can add PAL JOEY to the list.

According to Playbill.com:

"The production has yet to be officially announced, but the industry paper says Wicked producer Marc Platt is aiming for a Broadway bow next spring."
PAL JOEY Revival - Playbill.com

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

GoSmileLaughCryClap Profile Photo
GoSmileLaughCryClap
#48re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/29/07 at 12:53pm

Mike Nichols could produce with the original creative team in place, and still bring some good ideas to the production.

And make Oprah the Executive Producer. That seemed to help out another show a great deal.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#49re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/29/07 at 12:59pm

Where has PORGY & BESS been mentioned as a possible revival?

I think FOLLIES should wait for the 2008-2009 season, so we continue to have one Sondheim revival every year. The Tonys could get a little uncomfortable for me if I had two Sondheim revivals to cheer for. re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals

Revivals are always going to be more inspiring to us than new shows, 'cos we at least have a vaaaaague idea of what to expect. Of all the new shows, the ones that are getting most chat on here are the two we already know pretty well - The Little Mermaid and Young Frankenstein - so that just helps prove we're always more keen on things we already know. I'm rambling a bit, I've lost my train of thought somewhere. I'm sure we'll be more enthusiastic about the new shows once we actually have some material to be enthusiastic about.

Updated On: 6/29/07 at 12:59 PM

Wanna Be A Foster
#50re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/29/07 at 1:04pm

Plenty O' Somethin': London Porgy and Bess Coming to Broadway

-Kad

Videos