News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals

2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#12007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:30am

I wanted to get down in one place all of the musical revivals that are in the works for the 2007-2008 season. Off the top of my head, we have GREASE, SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE, PORGY & BESS, and SOUTH PACIFIC. Am I missing anything? What ever became of the revival of THE WIZ? Is that dead and buried?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Jmoss7602 Profile Photo
Jmoss7602
#2re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 4/4/07 at 11:55am

I sure hope so.... but I really dont think it is going to happen. At leaste not for a while........

Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 8:46am

OK, so we now have four shows to fill out the Best Revival category:

SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE
PORGY & BESS
SOUTH PACIFIC
GUYS & DOLLS

And GREASE can get the well needed boot to ensure that Reality TV casting shows do not receive recognition from the Tonys.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
Updated On: 6/7/07 at 08:46 AM

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#3re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 8:53am

Is the Roundabout's Cabaret revival planned for '07-'08, or the following season?

I don't really see the big deal about Grease having been cast via reality show. It's Grease! It's not as though they were casting Mrs. Lovett and Sweeney Todd. It's a fun, touristy show that will hopefully bring revenue to Broadway, and I don't see what's wrong with that.

Updated On: 6/7/07 at 08:53 AM

Yankeefan007
#4re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 8:55am

The Wiz isn't dead. It'll probably be in 2008-2009, at the rate they're going.

Boy, it's gonna be a very interesting season.

Xanadu, Little Mermaid, Young Frankenstein, Sunday, Porgy, South Pacific, Guys and Dolls, Grease, Old Acquaintance, Pygmaleon, Cymbeline, Mauritius, A Catered Affair, The Ritz....

Not much "star casting," yet this season, either. Only Rosie Perez, Megan Mullally, and Bobby Cannavale...but it's early. And who knows who LCT or Roundabout have up their sleeve.

musicalkid Profile Photo
musicalkid
#5re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 8:55am

there's talk about "Guys and Dolls". god forbid.

Bring Disney's "Der Glockner Von Notre Dame" To Broadway!
http://musicalkid.multiply.com/

Wanna Be A Foster
#6re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 9:44am

Just wait until GREASE is left out of the Best Revival category. Talk about a fight between the producers of the Tonys show and the producers of the nominated shows. You think there was a big argument over LEGALLY BLONDE and LOVEMUSIK this year? It should be interesting to see how it's played out when *the* Broadway show that had a whole television series devoted to it isn't allowed to perform on the telecast. Eek.

-Kad

Rotel1026
#7re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 9:59am

You're assuming Grease will be popular. Lets see what it's attendance is before we start any talk about a huge uproar over it not getting a best revival nomination and getting left off the telecast. Plus remember, the Tony's are on CBS and the reality show was on NBC, I think that would play into your argument as well. If this had been aired on CBS, I could see them fighting for the show to be in the telecast, but what do they care if a show that was cast by a rival network flops?

Wanna Be A Foster
#8re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 10:08am

Because CBS will know that by promoting the fact that GREASE starring "what's-his-name" and "what's-her-name" will be performing on their Tony broadcast, they will bring in higher ratings, which is their main goal in every misstep and alteration they make to their Tony telecast.

-Kad

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#9re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 10:31am

I wonder if LCT still plans on doing South Pacific this season. Originally they said it was scheduled for February, but with Cymbeline coming in in December and LCT saying that want to keep a low cost season due to Utopia this season, they might not get around to it.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#10re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 10:38am

I heard through the grapevine that Encores is trying to get Follies back on Broadway. (yes, it'll be expensive but it'd be worth it.)

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#11re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 10:39am

bwaygal1-That's been rumored since the concert closed at Encores! The Weisslars have expressed interest in doing a more spruced up version of the concert staging with the cast from Encores! But, it's looking like it may not happen. Not for a while anyway.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#12re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 10:41am

They're sure talking it up.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#13re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 12:56pm

"And GREASE can get the well needed boot to ensure that Reality TV casting shows do not receive recognition from the Tonys."

Unless, of course, it turns out to be a well-produced, well-received, financially successful, tour-friendly production. The fact that it's Grease (one of the most popular musicals in the world) and Kathleen Marshall (good rep with revivals) are two things the show already has going for it. Personally, I don't see why the reality show casting would be the cause for such disdain. We've seen the disastrous results of traditional auditions for many shows (not to mention replacement stunt-casting), so it's not like this new take on casting is somehow tarnishing an infallible process.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

scooter38432 Profile Photo
scooter38432
#14re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 2:13pm

Guys & Dolls AGAIN, huh?

Ho hum.

PLEASE don't let Krakowski star... I'm still shocked she won an Olivier for that.

Itty Bitty Geisha? Toyland? Gypsy Pasadoble? Just a few popular favorites...

sondhead
#15re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 2:31pm

"Personally, I don't see why the reality show casting would be the cause for such disdain. We've seen the disastrous results of traditional auditions for many shows (not to mention replacement stunt-casting), so it's not like this new take on casting is somehow tarnishing an infallible process."

VERY well said.

Not to even mention they cast Danny and Sandy in GREASE, a show that was on Broadway less than 10 yrs ago. Is anyone out there really weeping that they didn't get a fair chance at one of those roles because of the TV show? I didn't think so. Get over it.

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#16re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 4:37pm

I cannot wait for Sunday In The Park With George and Guys and Dolls!

RentBoy86
#17re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 4:50pm

Sunday in the Park... and YOung Frankenstein - well, I'm already saving up for next springbreak!

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#18re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 5:14pm

It sure is going to be a great season for musical revivals:
CABARET
GREASE
GUYS & DOLLS
PORGY & BESS
SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE
SOUTH PACIFIC
And if we're lucky, FOLLIES will take the St.James before THE GRINCH settles (which is the proposed plan according to ATC). This will definitely make the Best Revival category a very competitive one for the first time in a long time.
Is PORGY & BESS opening this season for sure? I have a feeling the buzz on this one has quiet down.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Ftworthguy Profile Photo
Ftworthguy
#19re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 5:15pm

I'm curious as to who will be doing Guys and Dolls. For me, it's Adelaide that really drives the success of that show. Faith Prince will be an extraordinarily difficult act to follow.

RentBoy86
#20re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 5:18pm

Are you saying Follies would go in before Grinch and just do a limited engagement? Or after it for an open-ended run? And wasn't the St.James one of the theaters the producers of the Wiz wanted? You'd think they'd scoop it up.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#21re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 5:22pm

Well, Jane Krakowski played Miss Adelaide in London to unanimous raves and won an Olivier Award for her performance. Talk is she'll be starring in the Broadway transfer and I think she'll be great.
RentBoy, according to a post on ATC a couple of weeks ago, the proposed plan is for FOLLIES to open as a limited engagement in the fall for over a hundred performances at the St.James before THE GRINCH takes over. Of course this is just tentative given the monetary reasons and the fact that some of the cast has moved on.
If THE WIZ transfers it won't be till 2008-2009 so they don't need to secure any real estate just yet.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#22re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 5:27pm

Though, "Porgy and Bess" is technically "The Gershwin's Porgy and Bess" because of the revised book by Trevor Nunn. So, they might try to pass it off to the Tony Award committee as a "new" musical.

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

ray-andallthatjazz86
#23re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 5:29pm

You're right. Wasn't it considered a New Musical for the Olivier Awards?
The version transferring is a musical, not an opera as the show was originally written.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#24re: 2007-2008 Season Planned Musical Revivals
Posted: 6/7/07 at 6:06pm

Is PORGY even definite? I thought it was planned, but nothing set in stone.

And why on earth is Foster rambling on about the Tonys next year?

14,000 things can and will transpire between now and then. There's no point in predicting this.

I have a lot of faith in Kathleen Marshall. I bet GREASE will be, if not seemingly new, definitely fresh and exciting.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Videos