News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals- Page 5

Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#100re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
Posted: 11/15/17 at 4:48pm

Always wondered about Soul Doctor.
Didn't seem to win any popularity contests on Broadway.
And Home Sweet Homer was SUBLIME!

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#101re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
Posted: 11/15/17 at 6:12pm

Title of Show
Brooklyn
Passing Strange
Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson
And that craptastic show that Kathy Lee Gifford wrote about the female evangelist. Whoever produced that thing has a pile of rocks in their skull where a brain ought to be.

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#102re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
Posted: 11/15/17 at 6:48pm

Matt Rogers said: "Title of Show
Brooklyn
Passing Strange
And that craptastic show that Kathy Lee Gifford wrote about the female evangelist. Whoever produced that thing has a pile of rocks in their skull where a brain ought to be.
"

Interteresting that two of your shows are some of my favorites (Title of Show and Bloody Bloody)

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#103re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
Posted: 11/15/17 at 6:55pm

BuddyStarr said: "Matt Rogers said: "Title of Show
Brooklyn
Passing Strange
"

Interteresting that two of your shows are some of my favorites (Title of Show and Bloody Bloody)
"

Yeah, I get it. People LOVE title of show. To me, it is narcissistic drivel. As for Bloody, I found it atonal and incomprehensible. 

But hey, people on here are naming Pulitzer winners, Sondheim classics, etc as worst, so to each their own, I guess.

Cesare2
#104re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
Posted: 11/15/17 at 7:16pm

Matt Rogers said: "Title of Show
Brooklyn
Passing Strange
"

The lead producer of that unnamed "craptastic show" was Betsy DeVos, the Secretary of Education.

trashprince
#105re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
Posted: 11/15/17 at 8:48pm

1. Dear Evan Hansen
  2. Cats
  3. Grease
  4. Rent
  5. Love Never Dies

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#106re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
Posted: 11/15/17 at 8:50pm

Catch Me If You Can

Ghost

Finding Neverland

The Bodyguard

The national tour of Chicago (circa 2014)

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

ellbellthomps
#107re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
Posted: 11/15/17 at 9:34pm

I have seen all of these:

1) School of Rock

2) Elf the musical

3) If/Then

4) Les Mis (it just gets so boring after the first act)

BroadwayMan5
#108re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
Posted: 11/15/17 at 10:19pm

Of musicals I have seen (not all professionally...)

Cats

Rent

Grease (love the movie & FOX Live version though, just have NEVER seen a stage version I've liked)

Brigadoon

All Shook Up

meharper24601
#109re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
Posted: 11/23/17 at 11:03pm

I don't have five, but three shows I've seen that I've disliked are: 

1. Spamalot

2. A Christmas Carol

3. Dirty Dancing

Thelastven
#110re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
Posted: 11/23/17 at 11:17pm

The Mystery of Edwin Drood
Cats
In the Heights
Spider-Man

Alex Kulak2
#111re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
Posted: 11/23/17 at 11:54pm

1. Cats

2. Starlight Express

3. Aspects of Love (sorry, most of Lloyd-Webber's stuff just doesn't do much for me)

4. Mamma Mia!

5. Ghost: the Musical (a hauntingly beautiful overture with a crappy musical following it)

BwayLover5
#112re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
Posted: 11/24/17 at 12:44am

Civil War

Good Vibrations

Anastasia

Lestat

Jekyll and Hyde

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#113re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
Posted: 11/24/17 at 8:21am

Cats

Come From Away

Grease (with the right cast- 2007 revival, movie, live broadcast- it can be great, with the wrong one, though, it’s truly a messy thing)

Spring Awakening

The Little Mermaid

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#114re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
Posted: 11/24/17 at 9:26am

In no particular order...

Spamalot

The Band's Visit

Once

Spelling Bee

Something Rotten!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

GreatWhiteGay Profile Photo
GreatWhiteGay
#115re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
Posted: 11/24/17 at 9:41am

Catch Me If You Can

Company

On The Twentieth Century

The Fix

Urinetown

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#116re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
Posted: 11/24/17 at 10:16am

Not in order, but:

"Dear Evan Hansen"
"Something Rotten!"
"Footloose"
"Jesus Christ Superstar"
"Disaster!"

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#117re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
Posted: 11/24/17 at 12:24pm

I have to make one revision...as much as I dislike Carousel (which is about half the score and much of the book), I have to replace it with Dear Evan Hansen.  By intermission of DEH, I wasn't really sold on the story, but by the end, I was angry and felt sick.  The fact that it won Tonys for Musical, Book and Score seemed ludicrous to me.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

theodora2 Profile Photo
theodora2
#118re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
Posted: 11/24/17 at 1:03pm

Hmm, let's see:

Oklahoma

Les Mis

Annie

Annie Get Your Gun

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

"The things that make you strange are the things that make you powerful" -- Ben Platt

groucho797 Profile Photo
groucho797
#119re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
Posted: 11/25/17 at 3:42pm

1. The Addams Family (a nearly perfect piece of junk)
2. Wonderland ("I know, let's have THREE divas!")
3. Ghost (see below)
4. Les Mis (leave Victor Hugo ALONE)
5. Hamilton (had me chewing my leg off)

Dishonorable Mention: most shows based on movies. Let's just do the movie word-for-word with a bunch of crap songs shoved in (I'm looking at you, 9 to 5).

And I will NEVER sit through Sound of Music again! Updated On: 11/25/17 at 03:42 PM

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#120re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
Posted: 11/25/17 at 5:52pm

In no particular order:

Rent. Godawful score

Book of Mormon. Show for morons

Spring Awakening Much ado about jumping and screeching.

Matilda. Unintelligible and kids

Fun Home. And I felt nothing

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#121re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
Posted: 11/25/17 at 6:33pm

In no particular order (also I'm going to stick to popular shows):

Legally Blonde
Come From Away
SpongeBob
Grease
Cats

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#122re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
Posted: 11/25/17 at 6:52pm

JayG 2 said: 

Matilda. Unintelligible and kids

Oh the irony!

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Jarethan
#123re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
Posted: 11/25/17 at 7:52pm

I will also stick to popular shows.  Couldn't keep it to 5.  Went for 10.  Listed in order, so the first five are my least favorite / most intensely disliked.

-- CATS...2:20 of total boredom, with both acts ending with goosebumps.  One great song.  Sung twice.

-- Fosse.  This was THE MOST PRETENTIOUS show I have ever seen.  The connections between actual Fosse numbers were agony for me to sit through.

-- Oklahoma.  I have never seen a production that I did not hate by Act 2.  As soon as Ado Annie, Will Parker and Ali Hakim take center stage, it is painful to sit through.

-- Grease...all the good songs were written for the movie.  I did like the movie and the live TV show, hated the original production.  Totally.  But not as much as CATS.

-- City of Angels.  I had a smile on my face for 15 minutes.  Then I realized that the inventive conceit was going to be repeated for the rest of the show.  OMG.

-- The Best Little Whorehouse...Tommy Tune's staging was incredibly inventive, but a musical is about the score IMO.  I didn't think there was a good song in it.  'That song' was written for the movie.  I guess I must have been prudish back then...cause I thought it was crude.

-- Two Gentlemen From Verona.  The fact that this beat Follies for Best Musical doesn't help.  I just thought the score was awful; what seemed like fun initially wore me down after 20 or so minutes.

-- Once.  The only good thing about this was Steve Kazoo's voice.  I guess I don't like 'mood pieces'.

-- Fun Home.  I get in trouble for this one, but I was depressed for days after seeing this show; and I wasn't entertained enough to justify the depression.  Would have liked it more if my expectations had not been set so high.  Circle in the Square is a terrible theatre for a musical.  I didn't see The Rocky Horror Show, but every other musical I ever saw there -- with one exception, Sweeney Todd -- was defeated by that layout.

-- On the Twentieth Century.  Did not see the revival, since I hated the original so much.  The original had A brilliant Kevin Kline and a perfect John Callum in Tony honored performances, and one of the great production designs ever.  I still hated it.  Two reasons: the pastiche score; and Madelyn Kahn, who I loved in everything else, was just terrible.  The show was barely open and she was already telephoning in her performance.  (Plus I always found her singing voice horrible, with all that vibrato).

Updated On: 11/25/17 at 07:52 PM

Blair5
#124re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
Posted: 11/25/17 at 11:42pm

Fosse 

Matilda - Saw this one on tour, so maybe it was better on Broadway, but I couldn't understand the lyrics to any of the songs and the little girl playing Matilda kept switching between an American and British accent.

Hamilton

Kinky Boots - So many friends hyped this up as their favorite musical ever, so maybe I would have liked it better if I didn't go into it with such high expectations. I thought it was slow and I can't remember a single song.

Rent

Videos