News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Worst Hits You Ever Saw

theatredk Profile Photo
theatredk
#25Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/2/15 at 6:36pm

Agree with Mr Roxy Ragtime should have won the Tony for Best musical

as for boring Once, Copenhagen, Art.

At least Avenue Q won over Wicked

Updated On: 6/2/15 at 06:36 PM

ebontoyan
#26Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/2/15 at 6:53pm

Once, Gentleman's Guide-So bored, falling asleep the only reason I sat thru since Tony winners lol (ha learned my lesson there)

Porgy and Bess 2012 revival, So bored good thing it hadn't won its Tony when I watched it or I wouldn't have left at intermission

notalwaysontime Profile Photo
notalwaysontime
#27Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/2/15 at 6:57pm

Ditto on Kinky Boots, I really enjoyed the music, but the book left a lot to be desired, especially the ending. I just remember thinking "wait what?" like it seemed to kind of all happen out of nowhere/not make complete sense.

Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder: I find all of the songs, aside from I've Decided to Marry You, to be extremely forgetful (which I think there's a reason that's the song they sing every time they promote it). It had it's moments for sure, parts that I thought were funny, and I liked the set design, but overall I really didn't find it to be anything special. 

acekatherineplumber2 Profile Photo
acekatherineplumber2
#28Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/2/15 at 9:56pm

Cabaret, Spring Awakening, Man of La Mancha, Porgy and Bess. (Xanadu? Don't know if that counts as a hit. Didn't follow theater news very closely when that came out.)

RingOfKeys2 Profile Photo
RingOfKeys2
#29Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/2/15 at 10:03pm

Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder (though I saw it on the town. I heard it was greatly improved for Broadway.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#30Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/2/15 at 10:07pm

The following 3 did nothing for us

BOM

Fun

AAIP

Poster Emeritus

fb1123
#31Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/2/15 at 10:20pm

Cats

Grease

Phantom Of The Opera

Baiseur82 Profile Photo
Baiseur82
#32Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/2/15 at 10:21pm

The Producers, I just didn't think it was funny at all! I will never understgand all they hype around that show. 

"I'd rater be nine peoples favorite thing, than a hundred peoples ninth favorite thing"

aj88
#33Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/2/15 at 10:32pm

Phantom

Les Mis

Cats 

Mamma Mia

Spamalot

Lion King (I say it with some reluctance because it was a visually stunning shows with its staging and lighting and costumes but....if you look at my profile picture...my heart belongs to the other big show from that year)

Contact

Fosse

Urinetown (I often get lambasted for this one. I went into it with extremely high expectations and despite having a very good book and performances and some good songs here and there, it just left me cold)

Wicked

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#34Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/2/15 at 10:39pm

Memphis. Saw it in previews and thought it would close a month later. The Tonys that year were hard for me to watch. Best Musical was bad enough, but Best Book?!

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#35Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/2/15 at 10:55pm

I only saw it on PBS and still it was the most painful 2 hours ever: MEMPHIS.

As for live hits: I thought the original HAIR was a colossal waste of my time. After hearing so many songs on the radio, I did come to like the music.

acekatherineplumber2 Profile Photo
acekatherineplumber2
#36Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/2/15 at 11:00pm

Baiseur82: YES! I loathe The Producers!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#37Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/2/15 at 11:02pm

Kinky Boots

American Idiot

Memphis

Spring Awakening

The Full Monty

Contact

Titanic

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#37Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/2/15 at 11:02pm

Kinky Boots

American Idiot

Memphis

Spring Awakening

The Full Monty

Contact

Titanic

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Mr Smith
#39Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/2/15 at 11:23pm

I know its not a hit but fela was awful

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#40Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/2/15 at 11:30pm

I hated Jersey Boys and it remains to this day the only show I wanted to leave at intermission. It's so very clear why it is such a popular show with audiences, though.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#41Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/2/15 at 11:51pm

This thread and it's companion about flops is very eye opening.

Poster Emeritus

wonkit
#42Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/2/15 at 11:55pm

ONCE

CATS

On the TWENTIETH CENTURY (Revival)

Edited to add: BILLY ELLIOT

Updated On: 6/3/15 at 11:55 PM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#43Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/2/15 at 11:59pm

Once just about bored me to tears.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

jwsel
#44Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/3/15 at 12:00am

"Ditto on Kinky Boots, I really enjoyed the music, but the book left a lot to be desired, especially the ending. I just remember thinking "wait what?" like it seemed to kind of all happen out of nowhere/not make complete sense.

The book was terrible.  It was so predictable that at intermission, my cousin and I listed six things that would happen in the second act.  Five happened and the sixth sort-of happened.  And neither of us had seen the film.

I also despise the ending.  If it was such a financial strain to go to Milan, how did all the factory workers show up for the ending?  (They could have fixed that by having the scene transition to Lola and Charlie returning home for a celebration.)  Though nothing explains the ex-girlfriend in the finale.

broadwaysfguy
#45Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/3/15 at 12:01am

Wow

so suprised how many of you cant stand many popular hit shows...taste really is personal

Im lucky, only two "hits" left my wanting both my money and my 2.5 hours back

Cats (other than Memory)

Contact (best musical??? are you F@#$#$king kidding me...still angry 15 years later i could have seen another show other than this thing....)

jwsel
#46Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/3/15 at 12:02am

"I hated Jersey Boys and it remains to this day the only show I wanted to leave at intermission. It's so very clear why it is such a popular show with audiences, though."

I forgot to include Jersey Boys.  Hated it, though I acknowledge the performances were excellent.

Jarethan
#47Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/3/15 at 12:06am

Cats, Cats, Cats, Cats, Cats, Cats, Fosse, Cats, Cats, Cats, City of Angels (although it really wasn't much of a hit for a Tony winner), Cats, Cats, Cats, Into the Woods, Cats, Cats, Cats, Big River, Cats, Cats, Once, Newsies and Cats

broadwayindie
#48Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/3/15 at 12:27am

Mamma Mia and Memphis

VintageSnarker
#49Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/3/15 at 12:29am

I really thought I wasn't going to have an answer for this but... South Pacific at Lincoln Center. It wasn't terrible but I went expecting Kelli O'Hara and I got Laura Osnes and it did not work at all. I still enjoyed the rest of the production.

Videos