News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Worst Hits You Ever Saw

Scott19
#75Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/3/15 at 8:46pm

Wicked.

Wicked.

Wicked.

Wicked.

And Wicked.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#76Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/3/15 at 9:15pm

Did you not like Wicked?

Neither did I

Poster Emeritus

ebontoyan
#77Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/3/15 at 9:46pm

Loved Wicked! Seen it 6x (so far!)

Matt1
#78Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/3/15 at 9:57pm

phamtom is the first that comes to mind.  Others include Once and Kinky Boots.  

I don't get the dislike for Billy Eliott.  In my opinion it is the best show ever written.  What I love about theater is millions can see the same show and so many can have such opposite opinions.  

Matt1
#79Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/3/15 at 9:58pm

phamtom is the first that comes to mind.  Others include Once and Kinky Boots.  

I don't get the dislike for Billy Eliott.  In my opinion it is the best show ever written.  What I love about theater is millions can see the same show and so many can have such opposite opinions.  

Replacement Cast Profile Photo
Replacement Cast
#80Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/4/15 at 12:34pm

It wasn't a "Worst Hit I Ever Saw" but I didn't see Hairspray until well into the run and actually liked it.  So I bought the CD and wondered "WTF?"  Harvey was great by the Tracy couldn't sing for a lick and what was that accent?  And Penny had the "Jim Nabors" going on -- dialogue in a teen voice and singing in a mature adult voice.  How did this show last past opening night with that lack of talent?

On topic - Hair.  I will never understand the appeal or message to that mixed up, mash up of unintelligent lyrics and repetitive music.

Nice is different than good.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#81Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/4/15 at 2:00pm

I will never understand the appeal or message to that mixed up, mash up of unintelligent lyrics and repetitive music.

That's one of the most bizarre things I've ever read on these boards.  I can only assume you've never seen a production?  Not sure how the lyrics are especially "unintelligent" or how the music is repetitive.  For a Broadway musical, it is extremely slight on reprises.  The majority of the book (and much of the score) IS the message of this unconventional musical.  The show has had massive appeal on an international scale for both the show itself and its score since its premiere.  Obviously, it speaks to millions for a variety of logical reasons, politically, socially, dramatically, musically, historically, and for entertainment value.  

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#82Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/4/15 at 2:24pm

Saw the original Hair and the last revival.

Not great & not horrible. It was just entertaining and that is all I want a show to be

Galt wrote 2 big bombs, 2 Gentlemen, one that should have made it (The Human Comedy) & a flop in London (Isabel's A Jezebel)

He is a very underappreciated composer.

Poster Emeritus

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#83Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/4/15 at 2:32pm

Roxy, you're a strange one.

Stephanatic

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#84Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/4/15 at 3:03pm

What makes this strange?

Before throwing that term around, one should look in the mirror.

Poster Emeritus

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#85Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/4/15 at 4:26pm

Cats

Mamma Mia

Young Frankenstein

Addams Family (not really a "hit" although I think it recouped on the road)

War Horse

the recent Glengarry revival (Al Pacino)

Phantom

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#86Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/4/15 at 4:54pm

Do not think Young can be considered a hit.

Poster Emeritus

Mister Matt
#87Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/4/15 at 5:08pm

I don't think Young Frankenstein was a hit.

War Horse was one of the "worst"?  Really?  I thought it was stunning.  I know some who thought the story and writing was a bit slight for them, but I never heard anyone call it the "worst".  

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#88Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/4/15 at 5:20pm

Not sure there is any thing worse than reNt, said it before will say it again, if he didn't die that show would never have made it past its downtown run.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#89Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/4/15 at 5:22pm

That's cold

Did not like it either.

Poster Emeritus

Mister Matt
#90Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/4/15 at 5:33pm

if he didn't die that show would never have made it past its downtown run.

Nah,  I still think it would have been a smash hit.  I personally loved it and honestly, I've known numerous people over the last 19 years who loved it and knew nothing about Larson's death.  It was the right show at the right time.

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#91Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/4/15 at 5:35pm

Yup, you're right about YF (after posting, I looked again and almost deleted it)

War Horse is one of those works where I can appreciate the artistry, but which rubs my personal irrirations the wrong way. (Dislike war stories, not crazy about horses, and HATE Irish folk music - don't ask me why I bought tickets knowing all this going in). Perhaps a better characterization would be "Hits You Disliked the Most"

I couldn't wait for it to end.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#92Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/4/15 at 5:41pm

Saw the movie and enjoyed it so not so bummed I missed it @ LCT.

Poster Emeritus

Lola2
#93Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/4/15 at 5:49pm

American in Paris - bored to tears.

Fun Home - way over hyped.

Rock of Ages - just plain annoying.

Les Mis - just shoot me.

Can also throw in The Mucus Man and South Pacific...

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#94Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/4/15 at 6:00pm

Agree with the first 2

Did not see # 3

Disagree # 4

Saw Music once and it was entertaining

South Pacific @ LCT was a classic staging

Poster Emeritus

theatreguy12
#95Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/4/15 at 9:02pm

Urinetown…..the only show I ever walked out on at intermission.   

Almost left Jekyll and Hyde, but I found the music somewhat nice, so stuck around.

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#96Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/4/15 at 9:31pm

The Producers -- Saw it in the Fall of 2005. Original cast was long gone. I was bored to tears, and do not remember laughing.

Les Mis -- Not my thing. 

Next to Normal -- Never got the hype. My experience was also tainted by two tweens who were very rude to a mentally handicapped patron who would occassionally ask his mother about what had just happened on stage. He was clearly not being obnoxious, and those twits tore into him and his mother as soon as the lights went up for intermission. I wanted to have those girls ejected. Awful, awful.

Julie Yard
#97Worst Hits You Ever Saw
Posted: 6/4/15 at 10:48pm

This thread reminded me of 2 more... hated Rent like crazy and Mama Mia was torture!

Dolittle

Videos