News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

What's next for Will Swensen ?

jbm2
#1What's next for Will Swensen ?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 12:47am

With the Bull Durham musical not moving forward- what's next for Will Swensen? I read he is in Utah doing Rocky Horror, surprising he's doing regional theater.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2What's next for Will Swensen ?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 12:55am

Swenson

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#3What's next for Will Swensen ?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 2:24am

Well he's an actor making it work? I don't think it's surprising. Gotta get those Equity weeks and get your health care and pension. 

thebeautyis3
#4What's next for Will Swensen ?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 6:08am

He's also from Utah, and his family owns a theater out there.  So it's not surprising he might do something there.  (A couple of years ago, he and Audra did a short run of 110 in the Shade in Utah.)

jbm2
#5What's next for Will Swensen ?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 5:27pm

I looked into it and he is not performing at his families theater, it's another one. I guess his families theater is extremely conservative and would never produce Rocky Horror.

thebeautyis3
#6What's next for Will Swensen ?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 8:57pm

Doesn't change the fact that he has strong ties to the area and to the theater community out there.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#7What's next for Will Swensen ?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 9:11pm

jbm2 said: "I looked into it and he is not performing at his families theater, it's another one. I guess his families theater is extremely conservative and would never produce Rocky Horror."

It's not that conservative. They did Xanadu.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

jbm2
#8What's next for Will Swensen ?
Posted: 11/2/15 at 12:33am

They did a very edited version of Xanadu. Apparently every show his families theater does has anything "inappropriate" edited out.

LarryD2
#9What's next for Will Swensen ?
Posted: 11/2/15 at 8:04am

The theater where Swenson did Rocky Horror -- Pioneer Theatre Company, in Salt Lake City -- is a very well-known and well-respected regional Equity theater. Artists from all over the country work there. And I believe it was a benefit concert production that only ran for 3 or 4 performances. As others have noted, Swenson has strong ties to the area and it's no surprise that he would agree to participate in a benefit for one of the region's leading theater companies.

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#10What's next for Will Swensen ?
Posted: 11/2/15 at 3:10pm

And Audra is touring in Australia.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#11What's next for Will Swensen ?
Posted: 11/2/15 at 3:16pm

jbm2 said: "They did a very edited version of Xanadu. Apparently every show his families theater does has anything "inappropriate" edited out."

Do you have any proof or documentation of this "editing"?

InnerMonologue Profile Photo
InnerMonologue
#12What's next for Will Swensen ?
Posted: 11/2/15 at 4:39pm

I've heard another Bull Durham reading is taking place in January.. Perhaps he's no longer attached though?

Jon18
#13What's next for Will Swensen ?
Posted: 11/2/15 at 4:48pm

PalJoey said: "jbm2 said: "They did a very edited version of Xanadu. Apparently every show his families theater does has anything "inappropriate" edited out."

Do you have any proof or documentation of this "editing"?

"

No documentation but I'm local to the Hale Center Theater in Orem and they indeed edit something in nearly every show they produce. They edit "damns" and "Gods" out of the Scarlet Pimpernel....

jbm2
#14What's next for Will Swenson?
Posted: 11/2/15 at 10:08pm

There are two Hale theaters in Utah and I believe both are very open to editing profanity and anything else they find inappropriate out of their shows. 

I Was told one of these theaters is the most well attended community theaters in the nation. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#15What's next for Will Swenson?
Posted: 11/2/15 at 10:11pm

^and that one is receiving a new state of the art and modern theatre. I was watching its YouTube channel and it looks like it has some great productions and the casts seem like they are fantastic and all I'm wondering here is why is it non equity?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Consistency
#16What's next for Will Swenson?
Posted: 11/2/15 at 10:23pm

Yep - I saw "Ragtime" at the Hale Theater in West Valley City a few years ago and they indeed edited out the swearing and sexual references, such as Emma's lines: "let me at those sons of bi*****" and "masturbates for a Vaudeville tart." I heard they did the same for the swearing in their production of "Les Miz." 

The productions themselves are usually very well done - there's a lot of talent in the area - but the bowdlerization was enough to keep me from going to anything but their family shows when I lived in the area. 

I guess it's really not all that surprising - this is after all the home state of CleanFlix, the once popular (now defunct) organization that rented and sold "cleaned up," family friendly versions of movies like "Titanic" and "Schindler's List" and "Goodfellas." 

...On the other hand, Pioneer Theater is an excellent, professional theater company. 

Updated On: 11/2/15 at 10:23 PM

StephieElise
#17What's next for Will Swenson?
Posted: 11/3/15 at 3:41am

SweetLips said: "And Audra is touring in Australia."

Will is here with her. At her Melbourne show she said he was in the audience somewhere. 

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#18What's next for Will Swenson?
Posted: 11/3/15 at 8:25am

Show biz friends who attended her Melbourne concert-2 hrs,no interval,3piece backing--in glorious voice,best concert ever seen.

StephieElise
#19What's next for Will Swenson?
Posted: 11/4/15 at 7:39am

SweetLips said: "Show biz friends who attended her Melbourne concert-2 hrs,no interval,3piece backing--in glorious voice,best concert ever seen."

She was magnificent indeed! I had second row seats and it was amazing being so close - it felt like an intimate show with just our little section up front. Plus, it was very nice during the short sing along that everyone around us had been to or was currently attending WAAPA! 

(And now back to the actual thread...)

Videos