News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#0Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 1:16am

Wow. It's been gone for 6 hours now, and I'm still at a huge loss for words. I still don't know what to say, but perhaps posting my thoughts will help me. I went out for a little while to clear my head and get my mind off of this. It worked, but now I find myself back here with this sense of impending doom (similar to that which I felt late last night) and a feeling like I need to get a bunch of things out. I just don't know where to begin; that said, this may be rather incoherent. Please bear with me.

I guess I'll start by "reviewing" the only thing that was new for me today: Deborah Cox. I tried to go into this open, because I was a devoted fan of the show. I'm happy to say that I was very impressed. Her acting wasn't perfect, but she was decent. Her chemistry with Adam nowhere near rivaled what he had with some other Aidas, but it was there. Her vocals on the other hand were really great. I think she and Adam sounded wonderful together. Their voices really blended VERY well.

Everything today was right on. All of the actors, the entire ensemble. The show as a whole was simply the best I have ever, ever seen it. You could tell that everyone up there was putting everything they had into really rising to the occasion tonight. It was a beautiful thing... really something else. The audience was incredible. You could tell that most of the people there were devoted fans of the show, and they were so wonderfully enthusiastic. It helped me a lot to see that the show was at least getting a good sendoff. I just keep thinking that come Tuesday, it's still going to be there.

The whole thing was really emotional for me... the entire time I was there, I kept flashing back to four years ago, on Adam Pascal's 30th birthday. It was the first time I had really fallen in love with a show, and now I was here to see it close... to say one true, final goodbye. I remember marking my calendar for this day months ago with no intention of actually going, and now here I was. I'm at the point where I know the entire show by heart - all of the dialogue and all of the music, down to every last beat of ever drum, but I tried to take in everything as if for the first time. I made a point to observe every single little nuance of the show: to look up at the lights, to commit the sets to memory and just to listen. There would be certain point where I'd think to myself "Oh no. This is the last time ____," but that wasn't a good wayt to approach it. I started to cry at the end of Act I, but was then able to get through most of Act II alright. I think I had to bascially shut down my emotions... I guess it seemed that at least that way, it wouldn't hurt so much. I think it hit me that is was really over when I saw all of the cameras flashing at the end. I cried at the final curtain call, and during the producer's speech at the end. It was so surreal to me to be there, and I really felt honored to be there. I really was speechless. I just stared into space for a pretty good amount of time, silent.

After the show, the stagedoor was crazy. There were TV cameras and police officers and an enormous crowd. Adam had been running late going in (he didn't come until 10 after 2) so he couldn't sign. I did meet Eric before the show, and Adam, Deborah and Cheyenne after, but you couldn't really talk to them at all. They were swamped. They all signed my big AIDA book, though.

Undiscovered, QM, TGITF and I went out to get Chinese food after, and we had a really great time. We spent a few minutes gazing at the AIDA billboards and such from across the street, feeling like we should be making speeches or something. At that point, I was still pretty much devoid of emotion and my head was basically spinning. It hadn't hit me yet - it did when I got home. I was on the phone with my mom and then with TM Cara telling them all about it, and I just started to cry. A lot. It's kind of silly to me that I'm putting myself through all of this over a musical, but I'd hope that some of you understand.

I'm ranting - I know I'll have more deep thoughts at some point, but I'm going to stop for now......

AIDA, I'll never forget you. Thanks for all of the wonderful memories.

<3
Emcee

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 9/6/04 at 01:16 AM

GaLiNdaFied Profile Photo
GaLiNdaFied
#1re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 1:20am

Emcee, I didn't want to cry.. re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5

"Someone please tell me- when the hell did gravity become the enemy? How has an essential force of nature, something that makes it possible for life to even exist on this planet, come to deserve the scorn and hatred of every teenage girl with no head voice?"- Broadway Matt

Ebonic_Singer
#2re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 1:22am

Glad you posted it!

bdwaygirl Profile Photo
bdwaygirl
#3re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 1:26am

Glad I checked the main board before logging out. Emcee, thanks.

I hung out with Cheyenne Jackson in his dressing room waayyyyyy before he tickled D2.

"unleash the girly"

Our fingerprints don't fade from the lives we touch.

Puppies are babies in fur coats.

Tinfoil...The Terrorizing Terminator

luvtheEmcee
#4re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 1:29am

No problem... some pictures are up:
Closing night party pictures

GaLiNdaFied Profile Photo
GaLiNdaFied
#5re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 1:31am

Thanks Emcee.

"Someone please tell me- when the hell did gravity become the enemy? How has an essential force of nature, something that makes it possible for life to even exist on this planet, come to deserve the scorn and hatred of every teenage girl with no head voice?"- Broadway Matt

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#6re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 1:31am

You is makin' me so sad. AIDA was my first musical love. I'm sad to see it go. To a long life in regional theatre!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#7re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 1:37am

yes, but what did Adam's chest hair look like??? I just get all hot and bothered thinking about him saying the whole "born in to this world naked" line... ugh... re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5

luvtheEmcee
#8re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 1:42am

LOVE that line. Adam looked like he'd done away with some of the chest hair, CATS. His hair (on his head) was blown out straight. I wasn't a fan, honestly. Oh well... he's a cutie nonetheless, of course.

UDJAT Profile Photo
UDJAT
#9re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 2:36am

chest hair? from what I can tell, there weren't any. seems like he shaved it off from where I was sitting. Not that I was looking. re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5

UDJAT Profile Photo
UDJAT
#10re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 2:36am

chest hair? from what I can tell, there weren't any. seems like he shaved it off from where I was sitting. Not that I was looking. re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5

QueenMuppet Profile Photo
QueenMuppet
#11re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 7:05am

You see, we start talking about Adam's chest hair and I'm here re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5

He still has some chest hair but I have no idea what he has been doing to it. It used to be a lot, then he had to shave it all off for Cabaret. Now it's grown back but it looks like he sort of 'shortened' it. He definitely had more of it about three weeks ago, yesterday it looked like he sort of shortened it. Weird!

Emcee, yesterday was very strange. I totally understand how you feel. I was having a great time at dinner but I felt really down about it all (and still do) when I got home. Hope you're ok!

QM

'He really wasn't good as Fieyro. Is it just me or does he sort of come across as a pimp? Just...the hand motions I've seen him do and the attitude..not that Taye is a pimp.' - SallyBrown on Taye Diggs as Fiyero

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#12re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 7:10am

were you guys overly concerned with the length of his chest hair to overlook his performance?

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#13re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 10:41am

yay, thanks for the detailed review emcee! Im truly sad to see this musical go re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

NativeNewYorker
#14re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 10:45am

"I did meet Eric before the show, and Adam, Deborah and Cheyenne after, but you couldn't really talk to them at all. They were swamped. They all signed my big AIDA book, though."

I'm so glad you got to meet Cheyenne again!!!!

Wow, it's really gone...

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#15re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 10:51am

emcee, I got teary just reading that. I love Aida and it's too sureal to think it's now over.
I was listening to the CD last night, trying to get the storm out of my head and I got chills just listening to it, like it was my first time all over again, until the last track when I just started sobbing. I can't believe the past is now another land.
Thank you so much for posting and I apologize for sounding like a sap re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5

TabooWickedFan Profile Photo
TabooWickedFan
#16re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 11:11am

i cant believe its over i am so sad this was just such a great show with such great people in it. it will truely be missed

"But I relish every brillant inspired moment. This is who I'm determined to be- an actor/singer/dancer-no, I take that back, this is who I am. These people are my tribe, my destiny. I know it. -How I Paid for College; A story of sex, theft, friendship and musical theater.

ponine24601
#17re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 11:24am

thanks so much emcee!! your reviews always make me cry!! (in a good way!)

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

insomniak
#18re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 11:39am

Beautiful sentiments, Emcee. Just remember that the things we love will never truly die.

adamized88 Profile Photo
adamized88
#19re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 11:49am

i'm still in denial!!

thanks emcee

insomniak i'm with you all the way - aida will continue to have an elaborate life, even if it's only in our hearts and memories

"Nothing is an accident, We are free to have it all, We are what we want to be, It's in ourselves to rise or fall!!" - "Fortune Favors the Brave" from Aida - the love that never died

luvtheEmcee
#20re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 11:49am

Oy. I woke up this morning - I think I had a dream about AIDA - and the first thing I thought to myself when I opened my eyes was "I can't be happy! AIDA's closed." and I rolled over and went back to sleep, as if that'd cover up the truth.

"were you guys overly concerned with the length of his chest hair to overlook his performance?"
Why, yes. As a very devoted fan of Mr. Pascal, that is ALWAYS what I concentrate on when I talk about him in a show. No, really... I didn't talk about his performance alone, per se because... well, we were discussing this last night at dinner... he's always SO consistent, down to the raising of his eyebrows. Because he isn't the best actor out there, he always does things the exact same way. It's great that he's so consistent, but after a few times, there isn't much to say other than that he was great.

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#21re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 11:51am

Emcee-That was beautiful

WHY GOD WHY? Why must it be over.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#22re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 11:52am

Fantastic review, Emcee. I was actually tearing while reading it. I can't believe it's gone!!!

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

insomniak
#23re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 11:56am

The chest hair conversation made me laugh. As does his robotic-ness. Does he really do the exact same thing every time?

luvtheEmcee
#24re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 12:03pm

He really does, insomniak. His acting is not "robotic" at all, really. He's very believable, with the exception of his wrist-flicking and REALLY campy hand motions during the "I'll never take you sailing" line (but we can discuss that on the Adam thread)... he just does everything the same. Every single time. There are really small things that he'd mess with occasionally, but for the most part he's consistent to a fault.

I'm trying so, so hard not to be sad. I went out for a while last night to get my mind out of the clouds, but I just don't feel like being done with this all yet. I feel like once I let it go, it'll be forgotten, even though I know it won't. I feel like maybe if I put my book away and don't listen to the music for a while, and just block it all out, maybe that's better... but I don't WANT to forget it. I don't know what to do. *sigh*
I guess I just need a while.... all of this over a show. Insanity.

Videos