News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5- Page 2

Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5

BroadwayBaby21
#25re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 12:43pm

Thanks for the review... it was excellent! I can't believe Aida is gone. I was fortunate enough to see it twice, the first time on my 14th birthday (2002) and then in May 2003. I only saw Adam once, and I never saw Heather, but I truly love this show. It's my second favorite (right behind Les Miserables) and i will never forget seeing it!

-If you don't like your fate, change it. You are your own master.- Aida

MadeofGold Profile Photo
MadeofGold
#26re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 12:54pm

Thanks for the review LuvtheEmcee. Did you see the after party pics here?

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/cfw/FrameSet.aspx?s=EventImagesSearchState|1|30|1|51257344|0|0|0|0||0|0&p=7

"... Still a little bit of your taste in my mouth. Still a little bit of you laced with my doubt. Still a little hard to say what's going on..." Damien Rice

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#27re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 12:56pm

Yeah, I think I actually posted them somewhere, but thanks!

A work of art is an invitation to love.

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#28re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 4:57pm

i just posted this on anotehr Aida closing thread..but heres a news clip from ny1 about the closing
http://www.ny1.com/Living/on_stage.html

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

TheGirlinTheFrock Profile Photo
TheGirlinTheFrock
#29re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 5:00pm

Ok, I am finally posting my thoughts about it. Last night I couldnt bring myself to doing it. I got home, went back out, then straight to bed to mop and mourn. I give you such credit for doing it last night Emcee. I know how hard it was for you too.

Yesterday was such an unbelievable surreal day for me. I have never been to a closing, so I did not know what to expect. All I knew was that it would be something I would remember forever. And it was. I have never been to more emotional, intense, and electrifying show in my life. Every song, dance, scene, action and moment was absolutely wonderful. It is almost indescribable for me. There were no adlibs, or added things into the show as some people might have expected. But i was glad at this fact. It is such an emotional show that I feel anything of that sort could possibly have taken away from it.

--I am not sure how to review the show (i.e going through the scenes or critiqing the actors, so bare with me)--

Everyone has shows that hold special places in their hearts. Momentous shows. RENT was the first Cast Recording I fell in love with. CABARET was the first Broadway show I saw. And yes even WICKED, for it was the first show I saw without knowing anything about it, and came out really liking it. But AIDA always held a unique place in my heart. I bought the OBCR because I knew Adam was on it, and never expected to end up loving it. But I slowly started listening to the songs that Adam was in, and began to fall in love. And once I saw it live it was wonderful.

Last night was no exception. The curtain rose and the audience went wild. Deborah came out, the audience went wild. Then Adam, then Lisa turned around. Every moment was fully appreciated and aknowledged. I tried to etch every thing in to my memory and take everything in.

Lisa's voice is so amazing. When she sings her voice fills the theatre without effort. She looks at ease on stage, and its truely a pleasure to watch. Everystory was flawless and got a great applause after, which sadly is usually overlooked because of it flowing into Fortune. Strongest Suit was so enjoyable. The audience clapped along with the beat during the fashion show, the ensemble members truely gave it there all during that and had so much fun. I Know the Truth was hauntingly good. And was at the point I realized it was truely over. Her acting was impecable. It is great to see her grow from My strongest suit to the end where she finally steps up to the plate. I agree with whoever said that if it wasnt for her and her character I would be sobbing throughout the entire show.

Deborah's vocals were better than I have ever heard her do before. She really went all out for the closing. It seems like all her previous perfomances were building up to this last and final one. Her "The Past is Another Land" was so powerful. It was a song that I always listened to on the CD but never realized its potential until hearing it done yesterday. It is another song that is often not aknowledged by the audience because the dialogue comes so quickly after the end of the song, but again yesterday it was met but a thounderous applause. Her vocals only got stronger as the show continued. Dance of the Robes was stunning and was met but a well deserved standing ovation that lasted a good amount of time. The Gods of Nubia was again flawless and powerful. (it was also a pleasure to see Shele Williams sing it for the final show being that she was an Orignial cast member)This song was again met by a standing ovation, which continued as the houselights were brought up for intermission. EAL. Wow. I feel so repetitive, but she did a splendid job with this. I have always criticized her for the lack of emotion she showed on the Elaborate Lives reprise. I have no complaints now. It was so emotional and powerful and exactly how it should be done. Her acting was good. She has and will always be a singer more than an actress. But she has grown so much in the role and really nailed it.

Adam was in supurbe form. He is nothing if not consistant! His Fortune Favors the Brave was excellent and has so much energy, from him and the ensemble(I was so glad at the applause they recieve when first coming out during Fortune). The raspiness of his voice was there, though seemed to be toned down, which i found unusual, nonetheless, great. EPT, besides the "note" was such a pleasure to watch. Deborah got a great applause when she told him off and gave him the hand that i was afraid that I would be able to hear if he hit the not or not! Elaborate Lives was so memorable. Adam and Deborah's voices blend so beautifully together. Like Father, is always a pleasure to watch because it is perfect for Adam. His range, his style, everything. The raspiness was there in full force for that song and was excellent. Radames Letter was so touching. It still amazes me how much emotion he can portray with his voice, and is great to hear him sing in his falsetto. He has grown so much as an actor since he left the show. I credit CABARET for that. And there is so much more growing he can do that once he reaches his full potential it will be wonderful.

Everything about the show was perfect that night. It really hit me that it was closing when i saw The Eye of Horase (sp?) lift for act 2 to begin. That is when I knew, truelly, that once they stop performing that is IT. During the first Act, you got a break and knew that you would go back to your seat and see more. But this was not the case for the second Act. As soon as they finished what they had to do it was done. It was hard to handle. Like Emcee said, I shut down my emotions too. Something I do quite often for "big" things like this.

For those of you who are still reading - i realize that i wrote an extremely long post but i felt it needed to be done to do it justice - the show was so well done. The entire cast gave 150% of everything they had. I felt honored to be there.

--will most-likely just copy and past this and put it on the Adam thread too.--

EDIT - spelling/grammer etc.

Though scattered and divided we are still its heart...AIDA SEPTEMBER 5th, 2004...one more longing backward glance... I AM NOW "TGIF!"
Updated On: 9/6/04 at 05:00 PM

luvtheEmcee
#30re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 5:28pm

I just started to cry again.
<3 you, TGITF.

TheGirlinTheFrock
#31re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 5:35pm

Oh I am so sorry Emcee. I make you cry way to much! but i heart you! There is still so much I want to say about the show. The ensemble, everything. I'll post about it later.

Though scattered and divided we are still its heart...AIDA SEPTEMBER 5th, 2004...one more longing backward glance... I AM NOW "TGIF!"

#32re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 5:54pm

I am very sorry to have AIDA close. I think the show is amazing. I love Elton John and I do not cAre what the critics said about the show I thought it was amazing. I know more people who saw it and then went to see the opera or read the story or did research on it. I loved that.
I also think that now that it has unfortunately closed we will be able to get some pretty cool theaters in the country to mount completely different production of it. I wonder what they will bring to it. But it is sad. AIDA will always be a warm show in my heart.

bethafoot Profile Photo
bethafoot
#33re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 6:20pm

Okay. I've been an AIDA fan for almost 4 years. I loved everything about the show, from the lighting and the scenery to the amazing actors and actresses taht prtrayed such beautiful parts. I was at the closing performance yesterday, and though it was only my third time seeing it, it was the most increadible experience I have ever had with theatre... and I've had a lot. I thought every part was so increadible yesterday. I've never even had the urge to cry in the first act, and "The Gods Love Nubia" moved me to that point.

After the show I did stage door and was increadibly impressed with how nice all the stars of the show were. The couple of stage doors I have done, I've been impressed with this. Broadway stars don't seem to let it go to their heads, in my experience.

I'm going to miss this show, a lot. But I guess all good things must pass. It shall forever remain in our hearts.

"And their story, and my journey, and the message they provide, show their strength and inspiration, from a love that never died."- AIDA

insomniak
#34re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 6:24pm

"My Spirit will keep on burning..."

Does anyone here know how to convert video files? I can't play that clip.

luvWICKED416 Profile Photo
luvWICKED416
#35re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 6:24pm

The Grilinthefrock...... YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!! IM SO HAPPY YOU LOVED LISA!!!!!!!!!!

TheGirlinTheFrock
#36re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 6:29pm

"The Grilinthefrock...... YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!! IM SO HAPPY YOU LOVED LISA!!!!!!!!!!"

Well im not a Grill but ok! haha. Its ok, that made me laugh - which is something I needed. Lisa is great. She is the only Amneris I have seen in the role, and i prefer her vocals over Sherie's on the cast recording.But don't get me wrong. I love Sherie. I have gone to the stage door many times at that theatre, and she was always the nicest person. She seems to really enjoy herself up there.

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#37re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 7:22pm

Great review, TGTF!! I'm going to start tearing up again!!

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

luvtheEmcee
#38re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 7:30pm

whyyyyyyyyyy?

No.

*cries*

TheGirlinTheFrock
#39re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 7:45pm

*hugs Emcee*

*starts to cry*

luvtheEmcee
#40re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 7:50pm

*runs away to far, distant corner, hugging her big AIDA book*

This is SO not how it's supposed to be.

ponine24601
#41re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 8:29pm

*pulls emcee out of the corner and comforts her* it's ok!

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

luvtheEmcee
#42re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 9:59pm

*runs back to corner*

No it isn't!!

b-way buff Profile Photo
b-way buff
#43re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 10:28pm

i saw aida for my 8th and final time on it closing night and while i for ms. cox to be ok i dont feel anyone could compare to heather headley. adam pascal was as amazing as he always is. the show will be fondly remembered and sadly missed. i can't wait to see adam and idina in the hair benifit. and adam in the up and comming disney musical of tarzan.

Forget regret

timote316
#44re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 11:58pm

I'm sorry to see it go, and I never even saw the show...

Thanks for the review, Emcee, it must have been hard for you.

luvtheEmcee
#45re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/7/04 at 1:13pm

aw, timote - I was wonderin' where you were!

It was, but I have to remind myself that it's just a musical. I'm hanging in there - I still won't listen to the cast recording. I don't really know why...

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#46re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/7/04 at 1:17pm

It's more than just a musical. It's AIDA!! Aida more than a musical- it's a story- a beautiful story with music.

It's going to be okay, Emcee.

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

luvtheEmcee
#47re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/7/04 at 1:25pm

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuu!

If I so much as hear Adam's voice, I freak out. re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5 Not good.

ponine24601
#48re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/7/04 at 1:30pm

'If I so much as hear Adam's voice, I freak out'

haha me too. i heard an advertisement for aida's last show on saturday and i started to spaz. lol.

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

luvtheEmcee
#49re: Okay, here it is.... AIDA 9/5
Posted: 9/7/04 at 1:32pm

I'm glad I didn't hear that. But really - I had RENT on last night, and he started to sing and I RAN to turn it off. I can listen to him speak, that doesn't bug me... I watched him on Seth's Chatterbox yesterday for a while. I can't listen to him sing - it makes me sad!

Videos