News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#2Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 1:18pm

Money aside, I'm really excited the producers are wasting no time making sure as much of the world as possible can see this play. And with such a range of ticket prices available, it's astounding that an experience this incredible is being made accessible to people who otherwise wouldn't/couldn't see it. 

bear88
#3Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 1:40pm

This is a huge coup for Carole Shorenstein Hays and the Curran. They tend to spring for one big Broadway show per year along with new offerings. SHN subscribers are going to be grumbling, as they aren't getting Dear Evan Hansen or Harry Potter.

I have been skeptical of the Curran's business model, which seems better for play and musical devotees than the theater's bottom line. But it will cause a stir.

I wonder how long it will stick around.

Updated On: 6/28/18 at 01:40 PM

MadsonMelo
#4Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 1:55pm

Wow, will this be viewed as ''tour thing''? Otherwise, won't this affect the sales on Broadway?

vanbrig Profile Photo
vanbrig
#5Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 2:04pm

MadsonMelo, I imagine it will be viewed similar to the Hamilton Chicago sit-down production.

This is exciting news for me, because my mom and brother have been dying to see the show, but they don't want to visit NYC as often as I do. Maybe San Francisco will be our next family trip!

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#6Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 2:37pm

It says Ambassador Theatre Group  "will operate the Curran during the engagement."

What does that mean, exactly? ATG brings in their own house staff/box office employees/etc.? Or are they doing an environmental renovation like at the Lyric?

Fosse76
#7Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 2:47pm

SomethingPeculiar said: "It says Ambassador Theatre Group"will operate the Curran during the engagement."

What does that mean, exactly? ATG brings in their own house staff/box office employees/etc.?Or are they doing an environmental renovation like at the Lyric?
"

That means they will handle the operation of the theater. They may bring in a manager to head the operation, but they are unlikely to replace any other existing staff.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#8Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 2:51pm

Open ended run to start, then tour by Fall 2020?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#9Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 2:52pm

Open ended run to start, then tour by Fall 2020?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Sho-Tunes-R-Us Profile Photo
Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#10Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 2:55pm

SomethingPeculiar said: "It says Ambassador Theatre Group"will operate the Curran during the engagement."

What does that mean, exactly? ATG brings in their own house staff/box office employees/etc.?Or are they doing an environmental renovation like at the Lyric?
"

Given the high turnover of staff at the Curran organization since the theatre reopened I'm confident that this was a given in order for the production to open in SF.  The Curran is also intimate in comparison to the Lyric and the show should run for years.  I hope to offer performances to my theatre group many times during the engagement.

Updated On: 6/28/18 at 02:55 PM

NYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
#11Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 4:11pm

This is great news!  So glad that it is going into the Curran!  Excited to try to get tickets to this when the time comes!

bear88
#12Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 4:24pm

The Curran Theatre itself was recently refurbished and is in great shape. The only adjustments needed are those to accommodate the play.

The whole thing about Ambassador Theatre Group running the Curran for the duration sounds a bit strange, though. The deal between ATG and the Curran makes me curious. Others can provide more insight or educated guesses.

The Curran is smaller (1,667 seats) than the Lyric, but not that much smaller. Harry Potter could run for a while at the Curran, I'm guessing, but I don't know what ATG wants to do.

I have enjoyed seeing new musicals at the Curran since its reopening, so I'll miss that if Harry Potter stays there for an extended period. But unless the Curran has cut a lousy deal, it makes financial sense.

Updated On: 6/28/18 at 04:24 PM

Fosse76
#13Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 4:25pm

ACL2006 said: "Open ended run to start, then tour by Fall 2020?"

If they plan on touring that production in the Fall of 2020, that's not an open run.

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#14Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 4:50pm

Sho-Tunes-R-Us said: "Given the high turnover of staff at the Curran organization since the theatre reopened I'm confident that this was a given in order for the production to open in SF. The Curran is also intimate in comparison to the Lyric and the show should run for years. I hope to offer performances to my theatre group many time during the engagement."

Ya' beat me to it. Also, I have no idea if any construction will affect the seating numbers, but I recall that, despite feeling small, the Curran has 1600-odd seats & a second balcony wheras pre-HP remodel, the massive-feeling Lyric had about 1700 (which is huge for Broadway). I believe that the stage is much smaller however.

Knowing of this rumor, last weekend when we had front row center seats for Soft Power (loved it) - I had an opportunity to peer through the pit, and it appeared to have a well-lit large trap area beneath the stage - which would, no doubt, be helpful for stage magic. Updated On: 6/28/18 at 04:50 PM

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#15Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 4:52pm

If the rumors that next year's return of Hamilton will be a sit-down are true, that would mean that of the four downtown theaters, only one would be available for tours. (Geary-ACT repertory, Curran-HP, Orpheum-Hamilton, Golden Gate-tours) [edited] Updated On: 6/29/18 at 04:52 PM

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#16Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 5:10pm

Fosse76 said: "ACL2006 said: "Open ended run to start, then tour by Fall 2020?"

If they plan on touring that production in the Fall of 2020, that's not an open run.
"

According to Chicago Tribune and the Daily Mail, they are not planning to do a traditional tour for HARRY POTTER –– they're doing sit-down engagements like this one in SF. (Right after the Tonys, Chris Jones had also wrote that San Francisco was looking more likely than Chicago for HP's first sit-down.)

WICKED's San Fran sit-down did a year and a half (with ~800 more seats per night), following 2 prior engagements. I bet HP does somewhere between 2-4 years in SF, then packs up and moves somewhere else for another few years.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#17Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 5:13pm

As this show begins staging productions that are more “mobile” I’ll be curious to see what gets restaged or changed. I would guess that the pool, the effect that ends Part 1, and some literal writing on the wall would all be excised in productions that toured.

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#18Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 6:31pm

SomethingPeculiar said: "WICKED's San Fran sit-down did a year and a half(with ~800 more seats per night), following 2 prior engagements. I bet HP does somewhere between 2-4 years in SF, then packs up and moves somewhere else for another few years."

I think that Phantom did about four years in a sit-down in that theater and Les Miz spent at least two. (and Wicked's sit-down was after a lengthy pre-Broadway run)
My guess is 3-4 years. Updated On: 6/28/18 at 06:31 PM

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#19Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 9:14pm

From a city that hasn’t had a sit down since Wicked, it is suddenly going to get 2, can San Francisco handle 2 sit downs? Could the Golden Gate Theatre handle all the tours, with the Curran and the Orpheum tied up? Could A.C.T take overspill of a Broadway plays like Humans or small musicals? What happens to the Curran faithful subscribers? 

Would there be another sit down production in Chicago, if San Francisco is very successful, but where? All the theatres are very large.

Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#20Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 10:01pm

Phantom of London said: "From a city that hasn’t had a sit down since Wicked, it is suddenly going to get 2, can San Francisco handle 2 sit downs? Could the Golden Gate Theatre handle all the tours, with the Curran and the Orpheum tied up? Could A.C.T take overspill of a Broadway plays like Humans or small musicals? What happens to the Curran faithful subscribers?

Would there beanother sit down production in Chicago, if San Francisco is very successful, but where? All the theatres are very large.
"

Any tours of mega-productions [My Fair Lady?]  will have only the Golden Gate to utilize while HP and Ham are doing sit-downs, but the Golden Gate may now be equipped to handle them.  Smaller plays/musicals will have no choice except the Golden Gate, but that invariably happens on occasion [The Humans at the Orpheum].  SF theatregoers should rejoice - with some caution.

Updated On: 6/29/18 at 10:01 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#21Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 10:52pm

I don't think we will see them skimping on the magic - meaning it will be all of the effects. I can't imagine they'd change anything since it's not really a tour but a sit-down.

charityhopevalentine2 Profile Photo
charityhopevalentine2
#22Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 10:54pm

Updated On: 6/30/18 at 10:54 PM

charityhopevalentine2 Profile Photo
charityhopevalentine2
#23Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019
Posted: 6/28/18 at 10:58pm

Updated On: 6/30/18 at 10:58 PM

Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#25Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019
Posted: 6/29/18 at 12:04am

charityhopevalentine2 said: "vanbrig said: "MadsonMelo, I imagine it will be viewed similar to the Hamilton Chicago sit-down production."

As a Curranator at the Curran, nothing sticks around for too long. There's usually only 3 week engagements. For example: Dear Evan Hansen is only running for 22daysand it's a smash hit. I highly doubt this will be sit down production but who knows.

"

Is a Curranator a hybrid title combining "Curran curator" and "narrator"?  I'm sincerely curious.

It will be sit down.  Curran staff will most likely have to say goodbye to their jobs.  Professionals will be in charge.  A sad fact, but that's show biz.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#26Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Play San Francisco in 2019
Posted: 6/29/18 at 12:07am

I wonder if they'll change the marquee/etc like they've done with the past productions? They seem to not flinch at spending $$ on this show knowing they'll make it all back. 

Videos