News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Funny Girl 2022 Revival

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#150Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 9:45pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Here's the casting call"

Thank you

Non sibi sed patriae

BCfitasafiddle
#151Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 10:10pm

Does anyone know fit this was originally a Rudin project? I'm interested to see the creative team and see if its any of his usual people. And it it is Beanie Feldstein, he's responsible for her breakthrough film role as well as her Broadway debut in Dolly...

Update: Just saw the casting notice with the creative team.

Interesting...

Updated On: 8/8/21 at 10:10 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#152Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 11:10pm

This is the same creative team that cast Sheridan Smith in London, right? I won’t be surprised if they make another blunder.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#153Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 11:15pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "Does anyone know fit this was originally a Rudin project? I'm interested to see the creative team and see if its any of his usual people. And it it is Beanie Feldstein, he's responsible for her breakthrough film role as well as her Broadway debut in Dolly...

Interesting...
"

Since you mentioned it, it's also worth noting that Rudin was originally the producer of the Humans film, which she is also in. But that's neither here nor there. 

This production seems to be a soft transfer of the London production from 2016 - same director, and same revised book, though we'll see how close the staging actually is. It's a different choreographer, which is interesting. But in any case, it does seem to be, at least to some extent, based on the recent London revival. Seems to me that if Rudin wanted to be the one to bring it over, he had 4+ years in which he could've done it. But instead, it's only happening now, after he's "stepped back" from his projects. And realistically, with Rudin's pull, he probably would've gotten a much bigger name than Beanie Feldstein, even if he was someone who championed her talent. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#154Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 12:37am

Ugh, i didn’t realize it was the West End production that was coming over. Funny Girl 2022 Revival

Theatrefanboy1
#155Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 1:02am

Honestly. If it’s Beanie. Sorry but I’ll sit this one out. Like almost 60 years waiting for a revival. That’s gonna fall flat. Especially coming out of these closures. I’m sorry but they need to do major stunt casting to get people coming in and dropping money on tickets. Like a Bette in Dolly type hype

Owen22
#156Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 8:08am

TaffyDavenport said: "Here's the casting call

Audition for FUNNY GIRL at People NY LP in Submission on 08/08 (broadwayworld.com)
"

No!!!  That Brit revival was NOT GOOD!!! EW!!!!

Owen22
#157Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 8:12am

Harvey's rewrites did NOTHING to enhance that book, I would argue he made it worse (I'f it was ever that bad to begin with!)

I'd always heard that the book to Funny Girl wasn't good though I'd seen it and I don't think I've ever noticed. It doesn't seem that different from any other mid-level golden age musical book. None of them are great, unless you're adapting George Bernard Shaw...

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#158Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 8:17am

Theatrefanboy1 said: "Honestly. If it’s Beanie. Sorry but I’ll sit this one out. Like almost 60 years waiting for a revival. That’s gonna fall flat. Especially coming out of these closures. I’m sorry but they need to do major stunt casting to get people coming in and dropping money on tickets. Like a Bette in Dolly type hype"

I agree 100%. A transfer of an existing production with no name for Fanny is just... lame for a revival that has been so long awaited.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

barcelona20
#159Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 9:06am

bwayphreak234 said: "Theatrefanboy1 said: "Honestly. If it’s Beanie. Sorry but I’ll sit this one out. Like almost 60 years waiting for a revival. That’s gonna fall flat. Especially coming out of these closures. I’m sorry but they need to do major stunt casting to get people coming in and dropping money on tickets. Like a Bette in Dolly type hype"

I agree 100%. A transfer of an existing production with no name for Fannyis just... lame for a revival that has been so long awaited.
"

I would be totally fine with a no name for Fanny, as long as she was talented and could sing the score.  After all the times I've heard Beanie sing, I've always thought she was competent but not a star (singing wise).  I hope she proves me wrong. They should have just went with https://www.instagram.com/tv/CAdOiFYjhWg/ 

Claudia Draper
#160Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 9:13am

I think Beanie will be great. Someone said RAMIN as Nicki - this is perfect casting, IMO. Who wouldn’t lust after him, male or female.

I’m suggesting HARVEY as the mom. Stunt casting, It works, and it’s funny. HARVEY “updated” the book for the London revival and this Bway bound version. Crazier things have happened

Beanie + RAMIN + HARVEY.. box office gold

Get Streisand RELEASE ME 2- let get her another #1 album in her 7th decade.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#161Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 9:26am

“Beanie + RAMIN + HARVEY.. box office gold”

How exactly is that “box office gold”……?

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#162Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 9:30am

Theatrefanboy1 said: "Honestly. If it’s Beanie. Sorry but I’ll sit this one out. Like almost 60 years waiting for a revival. That’s gonna fall flat. Especially coming out of these closures. I’m sorry but they need to do major stunt casting to get people coming in and dropping money on tickets. Like a Bette in Dolly type hype "

You would think with the reactions the rumored casting has received so far would basically make the casting directors reluctantly to cast Beanie in such an awaited role. I feel like stunt casting will be needed also. 

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#163Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 10:16am

Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "Theatrefanboy1 said: "Honestly. If it’s Beanie. Sorry but I’ll sit this one out. Like almost 60 years waiting for a revival. That’s gonna fall flat. Especially coming out of these closures. I’m sorry but they need to do major stunt casting to get people coming in and dropping money on tickets. Like a Bette in Dolly type hype "

You would think with the reactions the rumored casting has received so far would basically make the casting directorsreluctantly to cast Beanie in such anawaited role. I feel like stunt casting will be needed also.
"

Are casting directors obsessed with the reaction on this message board? 

Personally, any revival of Funny Girl strikes me as a bad idea. It's a mediocre show with some good songs and--the central point--a star vehicle tailored around an extremely unique star. I can't see that anyone ever went to see "Funny Girl"; they went to see "Barbra Streisand in Funny Girl." Even getting a big star like Gaga wouldn't be analogous because I think everyone knows what they'd be getting with Gaga in the role, whereas part of the unique appeal of Streisand was that she was a star-in-the-making (one a variety of fronts, not just Broadway), so it was as much about "who is this girl who's making the big splash?" as "I love X celebrity. And they are doing a Broadway show!"

It's a once-in-history kinda thing that can't be replicated. Is a Broadway revival doomed to failure? I dunno. But I think it's a show few people want to see in and of itself, so I don't think it's going to make that much of a splash unless it's turned into something like a Jerry Herman/Andrew Lloyd Webber show where one giant name follows another throughout the run.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#164Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 10:43am

To clarify: we don't KNOW for sure that this will be a transfer of the London production. But in cases like this, hiring the same director usually means a remount of some sorts, even if there are some changes.

Of course there are exceptions - as we discussed in the Anything Goes thread, sometimes directors do start fresh when they direct material for a 2nd time. But Anything Goes is also a good example of how they usually don't start totally fresh. 99 times out of 100, if you see the same director attached, you can expect some form of a remount, even if it isn't an exact replica of the earlier staging. In this case, the fact that there's a new choreographer indicates that they're not doing a total 1-to-1 transfer, but I'll wager that when the design team is announced, we'll at least see the same set designer Michael Pavelka attached. If not, that will be very telling! 

FWIW, I agree that the book of Funny Girl is pretty mediocre, particularly Act 2. I don't mind act 1, but oh man Act 2 is a real slog. And I agree that Harvey didn't help that at all. 

I doubt the producers are relying on Theatre Twitter or this message board to make their decisions, but considering Beanie isn't exactly an A-lister who will appeal to the average tourist, it's probably not a great sign that the theatre community (who they'd be most relying on to create buzz) isn't reacting well. 

I maintain for the record that I personally am excited to see Beanie in the role. I loved Sheridan Smith's performance, and she's probably a worse singer than Beanie, and undoubtedly a worse fit for the character on paper. I don't think the role requires Barbra's voice to work. I realize many in this thread disagree, and that's fine obviously. I won't harp on it too much longer, but just wanted to throw that out there to clarify that, even though I think she's a bad choice for the box office, I still think she's a good choice for the role. And those that say "literally no one wants to see her as Fanny" are incorrect. There's at least one! 

KitKatBoy24 Profile Photo
KitKatBoy24
#165Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 10:46am

I’m done with all the negativity toward this revival! I’ve been waiting SO long for Funny Girl to be revived and we’ve been so close so many times.

LET ME SEE FUNNY GIRL ON BROADWAY

I’m sure they don’t take casting Fanny lightly and that Beanie must have done something right for them. Let’s go! I’m ready!

"In here, life is beautiful"

BCfitasafiddle
#166Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 10:47am

JBroadway said: "BCfitasafiddle said: "Does anyone know fit this was originally a Rudin project? I'm interested to see the creative team and see if its any of his usual people. And it it is Beanie Feldstein, he's responsible for her breakthrough film role as well as her Broadway debut in Dolly...

Interesting...
"

Since you mentioned it, it's also worth noting that Rudin was originally the producer of the Humans film, which she is also in. But that's neither here nor there.

The Humans film is scheduled to premiere next month at the Toronto Film Festival.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#167Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 10:56am

^ Yep!

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#168Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 10:57am

joevitus said: "Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "Theatrefanboy1 said: "Honestly. If it’s Beanie. Sorry but I’ll sit this one out. Like almost 60 years waiting for a revival. That’s gonna fall flat. Especially coming out of these closures. I’m sorry but they need to do major stunt casting to get people coming in and dropping money on tickets. Like a Bette in Dolly type hype "

You would think with the reactions the rumored casting has received so far would basically make the casting directorsreluctantly to cast Beanie in such anawaited role. I feel like stunt casting will be needed also.
"

Are casting directors obsessed with the reaction on this message board?

Personally, any revival of Funny Girl strikes me as a bad idea. It's a mediocreshow with some good songs and--the central point--a star vehicle tailored around an extremely uniquestar. I can't see that anyone ever went tosee "Funny Girl"; they went to see "Barbra Streisand in Funny Girl." Even getting a big star like Gaga wouldn't be analogousbecause I think everyone knows what they'd be getting with Gaga in the role, whereas part of the unique appeal of Streisand was that she was a star-in-the-making (one a variety of fronts, not just Broadway),so it was as much about "who is this girl who's making the big splash?" as "I love X celebrity. And they are doing a Broadway show!"

It's a once-in-history kinda thing that can't be replicated. Is a Broadway revival doomed to failure? I dunno. But I think it's a show few people want to see in and of itself, so I don't think it's going to make that much of a splash unless it's turned into something like a Jerry Herman/Andrew Lloyd Webber show where one giant name follows another throughout the run.
"

I feel like because it has had so much Barbara Streisand push so you would automatically think a big name performer would get the role. Lady Gaga did in A Star Is Born, as did Judy Garland etc. And usually when people say they know Funny Girl, they think automatically Barbara Streisand! But I can imagine they're trying to have Beanie as the next breakout Broadway star, which is why she is potentially being casted. You would've thought they would go with someone like Rachel Zegler, Lea Michele (had the controversy/recent news about her not existed), or Pippa Soo. 

Though I definitely wouldn't call it a once in a lifetime revival. Plays and musicals are revived all the time. And if true, at least the casting for the Nick character seems pretty good. He was in Les Mis and Phantom. I wonder if it could be like that though? They cast the original Fanny (whoever they decide to choose) then a bigger star takes that performer's place and completely draws in audiences.

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#169Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 11:06am

TaffyDavenport said: "Here's the casting call

Audition for FUNNY GIRL at People NY LP in Submission on 08/08 (broadwayworld.com)
"

Although it's an open casting call right now, imagine if Bernadette Peters played Mrs. Brice? It would feel like a mini DOLLY reunion.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#170Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 11:19am

Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "joevitus said: "Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "I can imagine they're trying to have Beanie as the next breakout Broadway star, which is why she is potentially being casted. You would've thought they would go with someone like Rachel Zegler, Lea Michele (had the controversy/recent news about hernot existed), or Pippa Soo.

Though I definitely wouldn't call it a once in a lifetime revival. Plays and musicals are revived all the time. And if true, at least the casting for the Nick character seems pretty good. He was in Les Mis and Phantom. I wonder if it could be like that though? They cast the original Fanny (whoever they decide to choose) then a bigger star takes that performer's place and completely draws in audiences.
"

This is a really good point about using this to position her as a big star. Quite possible.

I feel almost assuredly Michelle would have gotten the role if she hadn't destroyed her own reputation so thoroughly. I think Glee really positioned her as "the Streisand of her generation" which, of course, does not make her that, but does give producers a large, built-in audience on top of the people who were already fans from seeing her onstage themselves. I'm not sure a Michele-led Funny Girl would do well, but I think if a Funny Girl revival was going to happen, she would have been at the top of producers' wish list.

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#171Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 12:07pm

joevitus said: "Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "joevitus said: "Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "I can imagine they're trying to have Beanie as the next breakout Broadway star, which is why she is potentially being casted. You would've thought they would go with someone like Rachel Zegler, Lea Michele (had the controversy/recent news about hernot existed), or Pippa Soo.

"

This is a really good point about using this to position her as a big star. Quite possible.

I feel almost assuredly Michelle would have gotten the role if she hadn't destroyed her own reputation so thoroughly. I think Glee really positioned her as "theStreisand of her generation" which, of course, does not make her that, but does give producers a large, built-in audience on top of the people who were already fans from seeing her onstage themselves. I'm not sure a Michele-led Funny Girl would do well, but I think if a Funny Girl revival was going to happen, she would have been at the top of producers' wish list.
"

I think so too! And even though Michele does have a fanbase, I feel like it was impacted from the controversy so even if she did star in Funny Girl, I doubt she would fill too many seats. I feel like Lea Michele would've been on Gaga or Sutton Foster-level Broadway fame if not for the controversy. I mentioned in a previous post on this thread, I think Michele will use her connection to Jon Groff to come back to Broadway eventually though. Possibly in a Spring Awakening revival that they both can star in or another female-driven musical (a revival of Gigi, Thelma and Louise, who knows?) but I don't see that happening for a couple of years.

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
#172Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 12:11pm

joevitus said: "I feel almost assuredly Michelle would have gotten the role if she hadn't destroyed her own reputation so thoroughly. I think Glee really positioned her as "theStreisand of her generation" which, of course, does not make her that, but does give producers a large, built-in audience on top of the people who were already fans from seeing her onstage themselves. I'm not sure a Michele-led Funny Girl would do well, but I think if a Funny Girl revival was going to happen, she would have been at the top of producers' wish list."

If that's true, I'm glad everything happened because I can't even imagine a Lea Michelle "Funny Girl". She isn't funny and , quite frankly, I find her voice shrill and ugly.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#173Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 12:17pm

"Beanie + RAMIN + HARVEY.. box office gold"

Lolz

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#174Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/9/21 at 12:20pm

Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "Though I definitely wouldn't call it a once in a lifetime revival. Plays and musicals are revived all the time."

I am 74 years old.  Just how many Broadway revivals of "Funny Girl" do you think are in my future?  It's time.

Non sibi sed patriae

Videos