News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago- Page 12

CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#275CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/22/15 at 6:18pm

Saw the matinee today and they made an announcement that Steven had a severe cold.  The audience groaned but the announcer indicated that he would go on and asked everyone for their patience.  He sounded marvelous and you'd never know he was ill.  The show was amazing, I cried from the ballet forward and I hope it transfers.

SPOILER ALERT

was it always written that Billy kills himself?  I've only ever seen the movie and I thought he fell on his knife while running away from the police.  Did they change this for the movie?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#276CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/22/15 at 6:44pm

GilmoreGirlO2 Its on the opposite side of the buliding. So when you exit the lobby from the main entrance/exit you take a left and you have to keep walking under that thing and at the end of the buliding there is a door that says Stage Door on it and you should go in there or you could wait outside.

Paul W. Thompson Thats so true!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Call_me_jorge
#277CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/22/15 at 7:00pm

Are Lyric productions eligible for Jeff awards? If they are I wouldn't be surprised if the was nominated for like everything.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Paul W. Thompson Profile Photo
Paul W. Thompson
#278CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/22/15 at 7:14pm

This is their very first traditional musical to be Jeff-eligible, and yes, it was "Jeff Recommended," which means that voters are urged to see it. 

jimmycurry01
#279CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/22/15 at 7:18pm

Do you happen to know why their previous R&H shows were not eligible for a jeff?

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#280CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/22/15 at 7:27pm

Anshel--yes, on stage it was always a suicide.  The change was made to appease the production code which objected to showing suicides being rewarded (I assume because Billy is shown in the afterlife?)

Paul W. Thompson Profile Photo
Paul W. Thompson
#281CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/22/15 at 7:28pm

I don't know, but I suspect that perhaps they didn't formally apply. Last year's "The Sound of Music" did win our BroadwayWorld Chicago Award for Best Special Theatrical Event. 

kristinj1 Profile Photo
kristinj1
#282CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/23/15 at 11:54pm

I think there are only about a dozen remaining performances for the Lyric production.  I was recently able to hear the opening night radio broadcast, which is wonderful, but it still makes me sad to imagine this being all that remains of the show.  Is there any chance there is an official video recording anywhere, or when it's over is it really gone?

jimmycurry01
#283CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/24/15 at 1:24am

I just got back a couple hours ago. Here are my thoughts: The physical production is very attractive, I'm not sure why they chose to set it in the 40's, but that is of little consequence. The cast was a real mixed bag. Laura Osnes made a very sweet Julie Jordan and she has a wonderful voice. Jenn Gambatese was an adorable Carrie Pipperidge, and the guy playing Mr. Snow had a great voice. Charlotte D'Amboise did well, but her talent is underused in such a small role. Steven Pasquale was disappointing as Billy. There are moments when he soared, but there were moments when he was very wooden and lackluster, which caused the show to drag a bit. I hear he was not feeling well yesterday, so perhaps he was still under the weather tonight.

There were a lot of diction problems, especially with Denyse Graves. She has a very powerful voice, but her diction is worse than Patti LuPone's with a ball gag in her mouth. Some of the choreography seemed inappropriate for the setting, but the ballet sequence was truly beautiful. We sat orchestra level so the view was great and everything could be heard well, even if not always understood. I think my boyfriend was a bit bored by it, but he only really likes about half of what I drag him to. At the end of the day, if you have a chance to see it, go for it. If you miss it, is not the end of world. It was better than OK but a bit less than really good. I honestly don't think it is Broadway caliber, but I suppose producers could do a lot worse. 

indytallguy
#284CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/24/15 at 6:40am

"here were a lot of diction problems, especially with Denyse Graves. She has a very powerful voice, but her diction is worse than Patti LuPone's with a ball gag in her mouth. Some of the choreography seemed inappropriate for the setting, but the ballet sequence was truly beautiful. We sat orchestra level so the view was great and everything could be heard well, even if not always understood. I think my boyfriend was a bit bored by it, but he only really likes about half of what I drag him to. At the end of the day, if you have a chance to see it, go for it. If you miss it, is not the end of world. It was better than OK but a bit less than really good. I honestly don't think it is Broadway caliber, but I suppose producers could do a lot worse. "

Is it wrong that I now want Forbidden Broadway to come back and do a number with a ball-gagged Patti Lupone singing?

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#285CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/24/15 at 4:14pm

"How does Carousel have anything to do with Sondheim?"

CAROUSEL has a lot to do with Sondheim. Perhaps you're not aware of how Hammerstein guided Sondheim professionally and saved his life personally. Sondheim went to the first performance of CAROUSEL in New Haven and wept all over Dorothy Hammerstein's fur coat at the end of the first act. Sondheim has called CAROUSEL one of his favorite musicals, along with PORGY AND BESS. (I consider PORGY an opera, but that's neither here nor there.)

CAROUSEL also was the first serious musical to have an anti-hero and not depict a wonderfully cheery view of life. "What's the Use of Wond'rin" doesn't just foreshadow a song like "What Makes Me Love Him?" by Bock and Harnick, but I'll so so far as to say it foreshadows a song like "Sorry/Grateful." 

We are aware, Fantod, that you're on the fence about that Sondheim guy, but I'm surprised that a perceptive and seemingly knowledgable person like yourself wasn't aware of all this. Hope this helps. 

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#286CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/24/15 at 4:41pm

I knew that story jv92, and I figured that was what he was talking about, but it was strangely worded so I was slightly confused. Thanks for clearing that up.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#287CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/24/15 at 10:55pm

I don't think Twitter is the right medium for a prose writer as excellent as Frank Rich. 140 characters don't do him justice!

Updated On: 4/24/15 at 10:55 PM

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#288CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/24/15 at 10:58pm

140?

AwesomeDanny
#289CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/24/15 at 11:50pm

If I remember correctly (I don't have my copy with me), in Finishing the Hat, Sondheim made a comparison between Billy Bigelow's "Soliloquy" and Sweeney Todd's "Epiphany" pointing out how both are big solo numbers in which the lead character vows to take extreme ends for their children occupying the penultimate song slot in the first act.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#290CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/24/15 at 11:52pm

Ah, you're right Fantod! Shows how much I use Twitter! 

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#291CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/25/15 at 12:21am

When I saw the show, I could not wait at the stage door and was unable to pick up a shirt. If anyone goes, would you mind picking me up a shirt and try to get a program signed by the principles? I am more than happy to pay for the cost of the shirt, shipping, and your time. Please PM me if you can help me out !

Wilmingtom
#292CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/25/15 at 12:29am

"CAROUSEL also was the first serious musical to have an anti-hero and not depict a wonderfully cheery view of life."

I presume you mean after that other Hammerstein masterpiece, "Show Boat."

Wilmingtom
#292CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/25/15 at 12:29am

"CAROUSEL also was the first serious musical to have an anti-hero and not depict a wonderfully cheery view of life."

I presume you mean after that other Hammerstein masterpiece, "Show Boat."

Call_me_jorge
#294CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/25/15 at 10:27am

I keep forgetting that Show Boat is a hammerstein show. It's just that its not R&h.

jon5202 Profile Photo
jon5202
Iheartchipotle Profile Photo
Iheartchipotle
#296CAROUSEL today
Posted: 4/25/15 at 10:38pm

Saw the matinee - great show with some wonderful performances. It was oddly paced at times though, and Denyce Graves....She has a great voice, but her timing was a bit off throughout "June Is Bustin' Out All Over'. I felt that her treatment of the character was a bit mismatched with the period, but this could be me biased to the LC revival years ago. 

But Pasquale....Wow. Really, blew the roof off the theater. His Soliloquy will become the definitive version of this song. And the bench scene unexpectedly powerful. Osnes was quite good. I have not seen her before, but after Billy's suicide the emotion was perfect for the action, and the surrounding rows in the balcony were audibly sobbing.

If you are in the Chi-town area, and you haven't seen this yet, you will regret not seeing this production.

Most interesting though, was hearing one of the house staff members (now take this with a grain of salt - she was the lovely gal selling merchandise in the Lyric lobby) lament the fact that there isn't a recording yet, but that there will be one before it reaches Broadway. She piqued our interest, and we got to talking; she said that this WILL transfer to Broadway in the "near future" with the entire Chicago cast. And that this was just decided?

Has this been confirmed anywhere else? I can't imagine the full ensemble transferring, there looked to be about 45 cast members on stage. Plus, the 37 piece orchestra....?

Will they simply slim it down for a Broadway house? Some of the sets are great - some not so much.  Would they scale down the cast and the orchestra? Anyone who has seen this sort of thing happen before?

PS. I saw another mention of the slow motion fall from the roof. It happened today, and what should have been a great effect, might have fallen flat. He fell VERY slowly, slow to the point of watching Steven walk down the wall. It should have been magical, but it was just awkward.  

JG

There's more than corn in Indiana.

Iheartchipotle Profile Photo
Iheartchipotle
#297CAROUSEL today
Posted: 4/25/15 at 10:38pm

Saw the matinee - great show with some wonderful performances. It was oddly paced at times though, and Denyce Graves....She has a great voice, but her timing was a bit off throughout "June Is Bustin' Out All Over'. I felt that her treatment of the character was a bit mismatched with the period, but this could be me biased to the LC revival years ago. 

But Pasquale....Wow. Really, blew the roof off the theater. His Soliloquy will become the definitive version of this song. And the bench scene unexpectedly powerful. Osnes was quite good. I have not seen her before, but after Billy's suicide the emotion was perfect for the action, and the surrounding rows in the balcony were audibly sobbing.

If you are in the Chi-town area, and you haven't seen this yet, you will regret not seeing this production.

Most interesting though, was hearing one of the house staff members (now take this with a grain of salt - she was the lovely gal selling merchandise in the Lyric lobby) lament the fact that there isn't a recording yet, but that there will be one before it reaches Broadway. She piqued our interest, and we got to talking; she said that this WILL transfer to Broadway in the "near future" with the entire Chicago cast. And that this was just decided?

Has this been confirmed anywhere else? I can't imagine the full ensemble transferring, there looked to be about 45 cast members on stage. Plus, the 37 piece orchestra....?

Will they simply slim it down for a Broadway house? Some of the sets are great - some not so much.  Would they scale down the cast and the orchestra? Anyone who has seen this sort of thing happen before?

PS. I saw another mention of the slow motion fall from the roof. It happened today, and what should have been a great effect, might have fallen flat. He fell VERY slowly, slow to the point of watching Steven walk down the wall. It should have been magical, but it was just awkward.  

JG

There's more than corn in Indiana.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#298CAROUSEL today
Posted: 4/25/15 at 10:53pm

yeah its opening on Broadway this fall

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#299CAROUSEL today
Posted: 4/25/15 at 10:54pm