News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago- Page 11

CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago

JustBe23
#250CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/15/15 at 6:35pm

Broadway.com just did a periscope with Laura Osnes backstage, and the transfer is brought up twice, once by Paul Wontorek and then again by her - when Paul asks initially she crosses her fingers and then someone online asks her when she's coming back to Broadway and she says "hopefully soon, maybe in this musical!"

Updated On: 4/15/15 at 06:35 PM

kristinj1 Profile Photo
kristinj1
#251CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/16/15 at 9:26pm

Just got to see it a second time, and in my opinion the production is growing even stronger.  If the folks around me are representative, they need to offer Carousel tissue packs in the concessions stand.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#252CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/17/15 at 12:33pm

Saw it last night and was absolutely blown away. I started sobbing and could see because my eyes were so watery. Laura, Jenn and Steven are the definitions of perfection. I do hope this production transfers to broadway. CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in ChicagoCAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in ChicagoCAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in ChicagoCAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Broadwaywest Profile Photo
Broadwaywest
#253CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/18/15 at 11:04pm

Saw the show last night...WOW. This was one of the more thrilling and emotional nights that I have had in the theater in a long time. Laura Osnes gives one of her more emotional performances to date...and proves she is worthy of much deeper characters then she has been getting. There really are no words to describe Steven Pasquale's performance. I will just say as someone who does not genuinely become emotional at the theater, his "Soliliquy  had me tearing up the end. I definitely got chills in the last 2 minutes of that number. In the past the choreography of Rob Ashford has left me kinda "eh", and in the "June is Busting out all over" number I didn't find it very thrilling. Well he more then makes up for it in the Ballet in the second act. Just like Mr. Pasquale's performance, there are no words. A huge shout out for Joffrey Ballet dancer Abigail Simon as Louise, who not only dances superbly, but acts the hell out of that scene. Once again, the chills came. So just like everyone else on this board, if you are in the Chicago area definitely get your ticket to this once in a lifetime experience. 

I did Stagedoor at the end, and a note to the lyric opera...next time you do a show with this type of broadway cast, it might behove you to set up a barricade. There weren't a ton of people, but enough to create a crowd. I felt so bad for Steven Pasquale trying to maneuver his way out. Did get to meet Larua Osnes though, so sweet and she signed my drawing and even asked me for a copy to send to the Lyric for her, which I will definitely be doing.

Here's what Frank Rich tweeted from the show tonight. Would love to see the Nytimes review this.

And the monumental performance in highlights not only the Sondheim/Hammerstein lineage but that of Billy/Sweeney

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#254CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/18/15 at 11:07pm

How does Carousel have anything to do with Sondheim?

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#255CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/19/15 at 2:56am

^ Agreed. That's ... very strange.

kristinj1 Profile Photo
kristinj1
#256CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/19/15 at 3:06am

"How does Carousel have anything to do with Sondheim?"

I assume Rich may be referring to Hammerstein's early mentorship of Sondheim, and the tragic anti-hero overtones of Billy apparent in Sweeney. Both characters also grapple with the question of justice for the common man versus for the powerful.  The connection is even more-than-usually apparent in the Lyric production, which includes some often-omitted music.

Updated On: 4/19/15 at 03:06 AM

madela2
#257CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/20/15 at 8:16pm

Saw the matinee of this on Saturday. Wow!! I absolutely loved it.

Everyone is singing their butts off. Aside from the amazing leads, I also really enjoyed Jenn Gambatese. She was funny and her voice is beautiful.

Really highly recommend if you are in the Chicago area. I am wanting to go back before May 3. We'll see if I make it as I don't live super close.

Also, bring tissues. I knew it was emotional but I was not expecting to be crying at the end... :)

firebolts Profile Photo
firebolts
#258CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/21/15 at 12:41am

I'm so jealous of everyone who has seen this! I bet it's marvelous. Laura is so versatile - she can definitely do anything you throw at her. Glad to see Jenn G. back on stage! I would love for this to transfer! 

Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Paul W. Thompson Profile Photo
Paul W. Thompson
#259CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/21/15 at 1:07am

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/STAGE-TUBE-Laura-Osnes-and-Steven-Pasquale-Perform-If-I-Loved-You-from-Lyric-Operas-CAROUSEL-20150420

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#260CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/21/15 at 1:07am

Quick sidebar: someone on here has a full vid recording of the glorious NY Phil concert w/ Kelli O'Hara, right?  Feel free to drop me a private message and I'll send you some of Before100's d'pix.  Sounds like a fair deal, right?  

kristinj1 Profile Photo
kristinj1
#261CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/21/15 at 4:05am

I'll see if I can get Paul's link to work here (also linked throughBroadwayWorld videos now)... 

... FAIL

Updated On: 4/21/15 at 04:05 AM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#262CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/21/15 at 6:51am

I'm crazy about what Osnes and Pasquale are bringing to this rehearsal clip of the If I Loved You scene.  

They are playing it so naturally.  The chemistry is palpable  

Osnes finds Julie's grit and Pasquale Billy's vulnerability. These "playing the opposite" colors are critical to making this first rate musical soar.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/theater/video/

kristinj1 Profile Photo
kristinj1
#263CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:32am

If you don't succeed the first time...

Updated On: 4/21/15 at 10:32 AM

kristinj1 Profile Photo
kristinj1
DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#265CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/21/15 at 11:22am

That clip gave me chills! How I wish I made plans to fly out to Chicago to see this.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

jimmycurry01
#266CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/21/15 at 11:49am

Two more days. I am truly excited to see this. 

kristinj1 Profile Photo
kristinj1
#267CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/21/15 at 3:26pm

I think I heard that the Lyric principals chose not to watch prior performances, which I'm guessing helped them make the characters fully their own.  I loved the 1994 production, but those choices would not have fit these performers.

I'm not sure I understand how a concurrent Broadway run would hurt the Houston production.  Is there an assumption that many people will travel to Houston to see their (different) cast, or that Houston audiences would stay away from the show if a version was simultaneously on Broadway?  I would think that might actually be an added draw for Houston rather than a deterrent?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#268CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/21/15 at 7:09pm

But the Houston production is playing for a grand total of.... 7 performances. So if a broadway run does run simultaneously with the houston production I really don't think it will impact grosses or anything.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#269CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/21/15 at 7:32pm

It doesn't matter.  Houston helped fund the production.  They will want the show before otherproductions IMHO.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#270CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/21/15 at 7:39pm

I don't really think it matters. If producers want to do it, and The Lyric and Houston give them the rights, we will see it this fall

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#271CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/22/15 at 4:11pm

Call_me_jorge, did the actors just come out through the lobby in the front doorway section there? Seeing this next week – very excited!

jimmycurry01
#272CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/22/15 at 4:41pm

First, this is not coming to Broadway in fall of 2015. Phillypinto, why is it so hard for you to understand this? It is a co production between two opera companies and before it can be done anywhere else it must play at those two places first. There is no question about this at all.

secondly, I wonder how well this is selling. My $29 upper balcony tickets just got a free upgrade to the $99 main floor seats.

AEA AGMA SM
#273CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/22/15 at 4:49pm

I've gotten numerous emails from the Lyric about various offers and discounts just in the past couple of weeks, so it certainly doesn't appear to be selling out.

Paul W. Thompson Profile Photo
Paul W. Thompson
#274CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/22/15 at 5:06pm

To be fair, let's keep in mind that there are 3,563 seats! Times 8 shows a week.

Videos